Cruise to a sunny nowhere

Windsurfboy

If no-one wants us, and we have to quarantine if we go anywhere,  who fancies a cruise to the SUN. Get on board , captain looks at weather forecasts, heads as fast as it can  to wherever the weather is forecast to be best. Pootles around slowly while we eat drink and be merry, then dashes home. A nice 2 week break

• Like 4

But how do you define which nationalities would be allowed onboard with Cunard being an International cruise line. Are you suggesting Cunard sails from Southampton with only UK cruisers onboard.

Edited by majortom10

15 hours ago, majortom10 said:

But how do you define which nationalities would be allowed onboard with Cunard being an International cruise line. Are you suggesting Cunard sails from Southampton with only UK cruisers onboard.

IF Cunard sail from Southampton by May or June, I would speculate non UK resident passengers who have satisfied any UK Covid protocols in place at the time would be eligible to sail. Whether they would be able to go ashore in any ports visited, would be down to the port authorities and their own Covid restrictions for foreign visitors.

Two weeks [warmish climate preferred] on a floating hotel certainly would float my boat after the dreadful year we've had with masks and social distancing accepted as the price to pay for being there.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Victoria2 said:

IF Cunard sail from Southampton by May or June, I would speculate non UK resident passengers who have satisfied any UK Covid protocols in place at the time would be eligible to sail. Whether they would be able to go ashore in any ports visited, would be down to the port authorities and their own Covid restrictions for foreign visitors.

Two weeks [warmish climate preferred] on a floating hotel certainly would float my boat after the dreadful year we've had with masks and social distancing accepted as the price to pay for being there.

No visits to any ports to avoid any problems.  Perhaps UK ports in unlikely event UK is sunniest place within easy sailing. 

On 1/31/2021 at 7:23 AM, Victoria2 said:

I wonder if full vaccination (plus about 2 weeks) would satisfy the requirements.  I would love the cruise to nowhere but not sure I would put up with 2 flights to do it.

Roy

Having done a few roundtrip TAs on QM2 where we have 1 day in New York and 14 days at sea and thoroughly enjoyed them as long as daytime activities are as good and interesting I would be very happy to sail from Southampton and not see land except from the ship for 14nts. We love the sea days on all our cruises.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/2/2021 at 12:29 PM, Lanky Lad said:

It sounds good to me.  Maybe get close enough to see land.  If we start and end at the same place then the risk would be not much more than a hotel a shore.

I got out a map of Canada and noticed a little bay right next to the US border.  So like Wales Island.  You pull in, drop anchor, build a tender-pier and some bathrooms.  Or buy a resort in a bay.  Have a ship catered picnic.  Sign a letter with Canada- no calling your Coast Guard for COVID cases.  Does this meet the letter of the PVSA as a foreign visit?  

On 2/1/2021 at 5:27 AM, shipgeeks said:

I would even be happy to sail to a non-sunny stretch of the ocean!

In fact we have booked a RT TA on the QM2 for December with this very situation in mind.  No sun, no outdoors without heavy coats, but we will be quite content to enjoy the splendor of the QM2, as long as the restrictions on board are not too restrictive.

• Like 3

I'm sorta' doing something similar. Unsure of when things will start up, here in the States, I booked a 5 night (has to be less than 7) cruise from LA to Cabo San Lucas. We're staying aboard and considering it a 5 night cruise with no ports. Six months away. I can't wait.

Count me in. I did that in Juily and October last year- cruises to nowhere- " The Blue Voyges" they called them. Never in my wildest dreams would I have thought so sail with an all German ship, but there you have it- Covid changed everything.

It was with TUI - Cruises- Mein Schiff´s 1 and 2. I loved every minute of it. One was a four nighter and the other a propper 7 night cruise. Both ships where filled to just 30 or 50 % capacity, the same rules as on land applied- masks, distancing etc. Did not bother me at all. Wonderful to get away from it all, even if it´s just for a few days- even it is ja German ship ( which I avoided like the plaque) - even if it ment social distancing and wearing masks.

• Like 2

I would love a double crossing from NY.  I have done this many times (22 crossings under my belt).  Once I had done all the tours possible from Southampton, I started going to the mall (the Quay?) on turnaround days.  Very fond memories.  Katherine 

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Lady Hudson said:

I would love a double crossing from NY.  I have done this many times (22 crossings under my belt).  Once I had done all the tours possible from Southampton, I started going to the mall (the Quay?) on turnaround days.  Very fond memories.  Katherine 

We too would like to consider a sailing like that. Only did one way's in the past.

21 hours ago, Lady Hudson said:

Once I had done all the tours possible from Southampton, I started going to the mall (the Quay?) on turnaround days.  Very fond memories.  Katherine 

Yeah - we look forward to it so I can take the shuttle to pick up miscellaneous sundries and forgotten things at Boots. 

Not unlike when those of us from the US West Coast become very familiar with the Mexican ports. After a couple of trips, Puerto Vallarta becomes most notable for the big, convenient Walmart across from the pier.

Edited by MarkBearSF