Would you do 3-4 day at Great Stirrup Cay ?

Beer Belly

Sometimes I'll do a 3 day - 4 day back to back. Been to most Caribbean ports many times and stay on the ship on most sailings, really enjoy the empty ship on the Nassau and private island beach days. Most of the time the price is similar or cheaper.

On 2/1/2021 at 12:32 PM, Beer Belly said:

We hook up our camper every year and head to Cape Cod for 4 days of camping, beach by 9am, back at the campsite by 4pm, shower up then off to visit local shops and dinner every day, it's like the same thing, only on water.

Do you have a picture of your camper? If it's the same thing as a cruiseship it must be something special.

For me camping is far from the same thing as cruising but without seing your camper I can't know for sure. 

On 2/14/2021 at 3:30 AM, sverigecruiser said:

Do you have a picture of your camper? If it's the same thing as a cruiseship it must be something special.

For me camping is far from the same thing as cruising but without seing your camper I can't know for sure. 

The comparison is spending time at the beach if we were to do a 3 day Stirrup Cay. There is entertainment in the areas we camp, can't compare that to a cruise, but always something to do if you'd like. Our camper does have 2 Kings, a Couch and Dinnette that converts to beds for guest, but not like a Haven Suite

14 minutes ago, Beer Belly said:

The comparison is spending time at the beach if we were to do a 3 day Stirrup Cay. There is entertainment in the areas we camp, can't compare that to a cruise, but always something to do if you'd like. Our camper does have 2 Kings, a Couch and Dinnette that converts to beds for guest, but not like a Haven Suite

For me that doesn't really sounds like the same thing! Of course that doesn't matter as long as you are happy!

I have not been to GSC, it has always gotten canceled due to weather/rough seas(2 or 3 times). I would struggle with only the ship or beach for 3 days. Also I don't think GSC has Wifi. I like to take advantage of that when I go ashore.

I think this is a difficult cruise to expect. GSC is the Bahamas so re-entry tests, etc. would be required for the US. If I have to do that I'd like to actually visit a place rather than a day trip island.

5 minutes ago, Shayhooper said:

I would prefer Harvest Caye over GSC.  The bigger pool with the cabanas next to it alone make it worth it for me.  The only downside is that they don't take the beverage package doesn't apply there.

I love visiting Harvest Caye too.   So easy to walk off the ship when you are ready instead of waiting for a tender.     Love the pool too!

On 2/2/2021 at 11:26 AM, complawyer said:

once again, i  wouldnt care if the temperature was 20 degrees and a foot of snow on the ground, nothing could tempt me to spend 3-4 days at gsc, especially when there are so many other wonderful carribbean islands to see.

Maybe I am interpreting the original question wrong, but my guess was that the  OP was asking "would you spend 2-3 days at GSC if that was what was needed to fill out a 7 day cruise because other Caribbean ports are closed".

So for me the answer is yes, 2-3 days at GSC would be an acceptable sub for a closed port.

Beyond that, my next Caribbean cruise will solely be about the ship and the ships amenities, not the ports. We started cruising for vacation (as opposed to using ocean liners for transportation) in1989 and we done every conceivable itinerary in the Caribbean and done many land vacations in the Caribbean. The is nothing left I need to/want to see in the ports. An all inclusive beach/ship vacation is fine with me.

But to reiterate the MAIN point, if 2-3 days at GSC is what it takes for me to get back on a cruise ship, then I am all in.

• Like 1

my interpretation was consistent with his question, would someone spend 3-4 days on grand stirrup caye?  the rest of your post assumes he meant as part of a 7 day cruise. 

even if you are correct (and i dont think you are)there is nothing about gsc that would induce me to spend any time there. if it were part of a 7 day cruise, i'd still rather stay onboard and enjoy the now uncrowded amenities, rather than tender and spend the next few days with 3-4 thousand of my closest friend.  

however. i do acknowledge ----to each his own!

Haven’t been to GSC but have been to Half Moon Cay, which is HEAVEN. I’d spend a week there if possible. GSC,, I just checked out the pictures, and it looks crowded. But after the last year I’m ready to be marooned on a desert island. (For a week)

1 hour ago, kona_wahine said:

Haven’t been to GSC but have been to Half Moon Cay, which is HEAVEN. I’d spend a week there if possible. GSC,, I just checked out the pictures, and it looks crowded. But after the last year I’m ready to be marooned on a desert island. (For a week)

fyi,i'd rather spend the time marooned on a desert island  then   even  3-4 hours on gsc

4 hours ago, hotsmiley said:

that would be a no for me.  we don't do any cruise that's shorter than 10 days at this point, not worth it for us with how much it cost to fly there and back.

I agree. I prefer 7 to 8 day cruises. I will occasionally do a five day if I can drive to the port in less than 1 hour. I know we are all eager to cruise. It will be interesting to see if we are as eager after we experience a cruise with all the restrictions. For me, I the think the experience will be disappointing. I plan to wait until I see some cruises actually sail and read the overall experience by those on the ship.  Then I will decide when to spend my cruise credit.

1 hour ago, ledges1 said:

I agree. I prefer 7 to 8 day cruises. I will occasionally do a five day if I can drive to the port in less than 1 hour. I know we are all eager to cruise. It will be interesting to see if we are as eager after we experience a cruise with all the restrictions. For me, I the think the experience will be disappointing. I plan to wait until I see some cruises actually sail and read the overall experience by those on the ship.  Then I will decide when to spend my cruise credit.

i wont be disappointed if the cruise i have booked actually can go to the ports listed. we're booked on the jade in july, leaving from amsterdam and ending in copenhagen.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, complawyer said:

i wont be disappointed if the cruise i have booked actually can go to the ports listed. we're booked on the jade in july, leaving from amsterdam and ending in copenhagen.

Nice cruise. I have never been to Europe. Hope it sails.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ledges1 said:

Nice cruise. I have never been to Europe. Hope it sails.

you're definitely missing out. check  out the getaway sailing from copenhagen oct 18, 2022.

ports in brussels and paris ending in london. talk about your european cruise. if you book, i think you'll love this one, and the getaway is my favorite ncl ship

• Like 1

I would 100% spend 3 - 4 days here.  My visits here have all been great.  Would totally book a villa at Silver Cove too for at least one of the nights, maybe all.  I’m likely in the minority, but I prefer GSC over Bermuda, and didn’t really care for Harvest Caye at all.