The Daily for Wednesday Feb 3, 2021

richwmn

today is Feed the Birds Day, The Day the Music Died -Buddy Holly, Richie Valens and the Big Bopper died in a plane crash

Military intelligence is a contradiction in terms.
        -- Groucho Marx

Meal suggestion for today - Quick Chicken Piccata

Drink of the Day - Peppermint Bark Mimosas

Wine of the day - Penley Estate 2018 Phoenix Cabernet Sauvignon (Coonawarra) South Australia vintage

at Sea English Channel
Oosterdam destination Torquay

at Sea Pacific
Koningsdam
Nieuw Amsterdam destination Long Beach eta 2/3
Noordam
Westerdam
Zuiderdam destination San Diego

Great Stirrup Cay
Nieuw Statendam

Southampton
Eurodam

Torquay
Volendam
Zaandam

0203USA.thumb.jpg.f8e06aedd8e62df7a4fa2b65298c0a4e.jpg

0203Tor.thumb.png.380d069c787522d0fc87eff0a07406b2.png

• Like 25
  • Thanks 3

Thanks for the Daily Report.

A sad day in music history.

Love Groucho and the quote.

Thanks for the meal suggestion, but we had chicken last night.  I think we will have meatloaf.

I bet the wine is wonderful, looking forward to reading about it.

Love the maps.

Sending prayers for our world.

Stay safe.

• Like 14

Thank you for the hump day daily, Rich.  One day to be celebrated and another dark day in history.  I love the Marx quote, and while I won't make it "Quick" Chicken Piccata sounds very attractive.  Slept a bit late so I'll post my alternative a bit later.

Today's care list:

Mrs Vmax undergoing radiation treatment

Caregiver Gsel and her DH battling Alzheimers

NextOne DH with Renal Cancer

doobieb quarantined until February 5; DD and DGS with Covid

durangoscots hoping for safe travel to her shot

Sharon’s mother and  daughter (but both improving)

Mamaofami’s friend’s final days, but rallying

RIP Sir Tom Moore

South Florida FBI

HAL (and other crews)

and Krazy Kruisers and Joe

Today's Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Teachers, school workers and at home surrogates

Front Line Health Care Workers

Captain Werner Timmers

Jab appointments for Dfish

Jab for St.LouisSal’s DH

cruisin single’s step daughter

Most Dailyites apparently keeping their power

and Sabine, HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 24
  • Thanks 3

Thanks for your dedication to the updates, everyone. 

Comfort and peace to those who are suffering.  A hearty hug or handshake to those who are celebrating (to respect social distancing how about a fist bump)

• Like 11

Bye-bye Miss American Pie!  What an epic song.

Today is also my DS birthday.  She and her husband have had a rough go the last year so maybe things will start to look up.  She had part of her colon removed and my BIL was just diagnosed with prostate cancer which has begun to spread to the bones.  Hopefully they have found it early enough.  Cancer is a horribly insidious disease.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

Today's alternative meal suggestion is Canaletto Salad, Spaghetti Pomodoro, Chicken Parmigiano, and Pistachio Gelato.  It  was my final meal in  Prinsendam's Canaletto, on January 3, 2019:

dishes03.jpg

It was also the Superbowl Sunday, and of course the Penguins attended the game:

superbowl2019.jpg

PS: A LATE addition to the shoutout list--Come From Away to be filmed on stage and released in theaters.

Roy

• Like 30

13 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Today's alternative meal suggestion is Canaletto Salad, Spaghetti Pomodoro, Chicken Parmigiano, and Pistachio Gelato.  It  was my final meal in  Prinsendam's Canaletto, on January 3, 2019:

dishes03.jpg

It was also the Superbowl Sunday, and of course the Penguins attended the game:

PS: A LATE addition to the shoutout list--Come From Away to be filmed on stage and released in theaters.

Roy

We loved the setup for Canaletto on the P'dam using the aft enclosed deck.  We learned that you needed to go after the sun was setting as it would be hot in there early.

I liked the gelato there so much I would get the waiters in Pinnacle to get it for dessert when we ate in Pinnacle.

Edited by KirkNC
  • Like 15

Happy Hump Day!!  Yea for feed the birds day. I remember the day the music died.  So tragic.

Groucho Marx was a unique person.  And the meals from both gentlemen sound so good.

Prayers and virtual hugs for our care list.  A toast to our other list, with lots of us getting jabs.

Stay safe, social distance, and wear your mask.

Peppermint Bark Mimosas:

Ingredients
  • ¼ c. semisweet chocolate chips, melted
  • 3 candy canes, crushed
  • 6 oz. peppermint schnapps, divided
  • 1 bottle champagne or prosecco
  • 6 candy canes, whole

Instructions
  1. Pour melted chocolate onto a small plate. Pour crushed candy canes onto a separate plate. Dip rims of champagne flutes first in chocolate, then in crushed candy canes to coat.
  2. Add an ounce of peppermint schnapps to each glass, then top with champagne or prosecco. Garnish with full candy canes before serving.

Screen Shot 2021-02-03 at 7.07.24 AM.png

• Like 21

Morning everyone. I’m up with the birds today. I have a morning appointment about a half hour away. Our driveway still hasn’t been plowed so not sure how we can get out of here. Last night I saw DH attempt to shovel it and stopped him. He’s Brooke old to do that and

we moved here because someone else, the contracted snow removers would do the job. But, there’s so much snow out there they haven’t gotten to all 540 homes and they’ve done a lousy job on the street. So, we’ll see how this day goes.

Stay safe and double mask everyone.

Carol

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich! Hope all the folk recovering from the storm can help out our feathered friends. Even clean water that they need to drink or bath in is helpful. “American Pie” immediately popped into my head when I read “The Day the Music Died.” I am a bit too young to remember them, but liked their music.  It is also “First Jab Day” for me! Woo hoo!

Roy, bless you for keeping our lists! Morning Dailyites.  I am not sure I agree with the quote. Meal sounds great, but it is shrimp burgers for me tonight. 

@KirkNC I am so sorry to hear about your Sister & BIL. I will keep them in my prayers. 
@mamaofami, hope you get to your appointment safely!

Summer, that drink sounds decadent!

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating!

Stay well everyone!

“Tannin hounds rejoice” - now that is a great descriptive phrase! This highly rated Cab has a great price. Many online distributors with prices starting at

$15.98.  

Winemaker Notes

#69 Wine Enthusiast Top 100 of 2020

A complex bouquet, layered with dark fruits at its core. Hints of plum, blackberry and star anise with a dusting of dark chocolate. The palate is intense and long supported by generous savory tannins that coat the mouth. A delicious contemporary Cabernet.

WE92 Wine Enthusiast: Tannin hounds rejoice, this quintessential Aussie Cab is awash with plump currant and plum fruit, with bay leaf, olive, tobacco and eucalyptus tones all cinched by muscular, leathery tannins. It’s a powerful but balanced wine crying out for a slab of rare steak. Drink now–2035.

• Like 21

Thanks for the Daily, Rich and our morning smile 🙂 

Feed the birds - can’t help but hear the music of that song from Mary Poppins echoing in my head 😉 Seriously it is a big thing here as winter is tough on them.  The Day the Music Died is a sad day in musical history.  Such a loss 😢 

Groucho Marx hit the nail on the head with that quote.

Chicken Piccata sounds good for dinner. I have to watch myself that I don’t focus on food so much that I get chunky 😉 :

44F34BEA-E8C9-4CA1-A1DE-3B35967FF179.thumb.jpeg.6efa076c05022ceaddf1dee96b35a3f5.jpeg

The worst of the storm is over here, finally.  

D0F59DA8-97FC-47B8-82F2-FFE84FD7F7D4.thumb.png.7d796a212e305447692592354bef2767.png

We have more freezing rain to contend with.  There’s plenty of snow down so the back yard is safe but our driveway is dangerous and deadly loaded with ice 😢 I’ll be lucky if we can get it cleaned up by the end of the day.  It may well take two days. It’s going to be a long day!

8CD76512-D04F-43B6-B790-02ED3C425ECF.jpeg.66425298772377a43261333a602b2579.jpeg

@mamaofami - oh dear on your driveway and roads.  Don’t risk driving if it’s not safe, please.  Hope you can get your appointment changed.

@cat shepardthat “tannin hounds rejoice” tells me I could never risk trying that wine.

Prayers for those on Roy’s Care list & for those that need them and a toast to everyone on the Celebratory / Shout Out list.

Have a good Hump day everyone.  Stay safe and please don’t forget your masks 😷 

• Like 30

Thanks Rich for the daily. Checking in early since sleep has not returned after the garbage trucks passed through the park. They come twice a week at two in the afternoon and once a week they come at 3am. Today some in the rv park are scheduled to get the vaccine. It’s the first offered in the area and is only for those over 70. Since I miss the age limit I will see how the others do. We finally have some warm weather. 70’s for a high.  

• Like 14

43 minutes ago, KirkNC said:

I liked the gelato there so much I would get the waiters in Pinnacle to get it for dessert when we ate in Pinnacle.

I have a little variation on that.  By 2019 the chilled soups had largely disappeared from HAL menus.  My last night in Prinsendam's Pinnacle Grill the MDR menu had Strawberry Bisque, and the Pinnacle waiters cheerfully served it to me.

Roy

• Like 14

1 hour ago, summer slope said:

Happy Hump Day!!  Yea for feed the birds day. I remember the day the music died.  So tragic.

Groucho Marx was a unique person.  And the meals from both gentlemen sound so good.

Prayers and virtual hugs for our care list.  A toast to our other list, with lots of us getting jabs.

Stay safe, social distance, and wear your mask.

Peppermint Bark Mimosas:

Ingredients
  • ¼ c. semisweet chocolate chips, melted
  • 3 candy canes, crushed
  • 6 oz. peppermint schnapps, divided
  • 1 bottle champagne or prosecco
  • 6 candy canes, whole

Instructions
  1. Pour melted chocolate onto a small plate. Pour crushed candy canes onto a separate plate. Dip rims of champagne flutes first in chocolate, then in crushed candy canes to coat.
  2. Add an ounce of peppermint schnapps to each glass, then top with champagne or prosecco. Garnish with full candy canes before serving.

Screen Shot 2021-02-03 at 7.07.24 AM.png

SWEET!

• Like 5

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  We do feed the birds, but I call them "pigs with wings" because they make such a mess going through the seed, looking for their favourites.  I was too young to remember the day the music died, but it was a sad day, indeed.  Did anybody know that today is also Carrot Cake Day?

Okay, I have to do a bit of a brag today; my DH is mentioned in a Rolling Stone article on Joni Mitchell's release of her Inside The Early Years box set CD's.  He knew her in their younger days, and always said that was his claim to fame because he taught her how to transition to the guitar when she was used to carrying around a ukulele.

A great couple of menu suggestions today, but I think I'll go with the chicken picatta, as there are chicken breasts thawing in the fridge as we speak.  Combined with some buttered noodles and a salad, that will make a nice dinner for us on a cold winter's day.  And wine.  And because it's Carrot Cake day, I think I'll put a small one together for us as well. 

Prayers for everyone who needs them and even for those who don't think they do.  Clinking the glasses together to celebrate all on the happy list.  Stay safe - especially those in the path of the latest storm, be well, wash your hands and wear your mask.

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 22

Rich Thanks for the DAILY fleet report.  Meal sounds okay.  Groucho had a keen wit.  He was the Best of the Marx Brothers.  Roy thanks for the care list and theshout out list. My best to all who look at and/or post on this thread.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Live4cruises said:

Thank you for a great idea!  Fingers crossed that our December cruise comes to fruition.

And of course they  will bring you any flavors and as many as you want 😎

Edited by KirkNC
  • Like 6

36 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

I have a little variation on that.  By 2019 the chilled soups had largely disappeared from HAL menus.  My last night in Prinsendam's Pinnacle Grill the MDR menu had Strawberry Bisque, and the Pinnacle waiters cheerfully served it to me.

Roy

That’s a good idea.  When they have the chilled banana and whatever soups I get that as dessert.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, ger_77 said:

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  We do feed the birds, but I call them "pigs with wings" because they make such a mess going through the seed, looking for their favourites.  I was too young to remember the day the music died, but it was a sad day, indeed.  Did anybody know that today is also Carrot Cake Day?

Yum, carrot cake.  It’s one of the few cakes I like.  On my birthday one year we got the Pinnacle to make a small one for me, it was yummy.  It was very nice of them to do that.  We also had a carrot wedding cake.

• Like 8

1 minute ago, KirkNC said:

Yum, carrot cake.  It’s one of the few cakes I like.  On my birthday one year we got the Pinnacle to make a small one for me, it was yummy.  It was very nice of them to do that.  We also had a carrot wedding cake.

My all time favourite is tomato soup cake - my Mom had to give the bakery her recipe so they could make it for our wedding.  It had a cream cheese icing, just like carrot cake.

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 7