The Daily for Wednesday Feb 17, 2021

richwmn

Good afternoon everyone!  Thank you for the Daily Rich. I love doing Random Acts of Kindness and think it should be celebrated every day. The meal suggestion sounds good, crazy but I’ve never made chicken and dumplings. We are more a chicken noodle family. Note I said chicken noodle, not chicken and noodles, two different things, one is a soup and ours is more of a stew consistency. Gosh I need to make that soon before the weather warms up. It’s supposed to be in the 80’s next week. Tonight we are having leftover steak from Valentine’s Day. I bought some Thai noodles that I thought would be nice to repurpose the steak into. Personally, I would prefer a steak salad like @Overhead Fred but DH hates salad. 

Guess what!?!!!!!  Daffodils are in the store!  

4BFF935B-6267-4C86-A5C5-6135B30A6BA5.thumb.jpeg.799470fc48c49907b273c9b36aeee9ea.jpeg

They will look better in a few days. I bought three bunches of 10, two for me and one for my mom.  They make me happy. 

Thank you for your lists Roy. I’m hoping your doctor appointment tomorrow goes well. We all are thinking and praying for you. 

Have a great day everyone!

Edited by Sharon in AZ
  • Like 20

1 hour ago, Av8rix said:

Wow!  I've never EVER seen a blue-eyed domestic shorthair tabby.  I've had registered Siamese all of my life and was under the impression that they are the only naturally-occurring blue-eyed cats. Anyway, she/he is a beauty (forgot the names of your cats)!

His name is Leo and he showed up a couple of months ago. He likes to be held and stroked. The calico is Callie and doesn't like to be picked up but will allow herself to be stroked for a short while.

• Like 15

Good afternoon. 

Oy. 3 trips to the pharmacy to get a prescription. I went right after my doctor's appointment and the pharmacy's computers were down. Went back an hour later, still down. This time I called before I went. I don't drive at night with my eye issues and made it there and back before nightfall. Snow overnight tonight so I wanted to get it today.

Big oops here in PA. Some vaccine distributors were mixed up and had poor communication with the state, so they gave out 2nd Moderna shots as 1st. Now the state is down 200, 000 2nd shots. The state says they will get them before the 42 day max window for shot #2 runs out. Big sigh.

My first overseas trip to London in the mid-90's I came home to burst pipes in my unheated garage (that was the house before this one). It had gotten down to -22° F. Half of my kitchen was over that garage. My neighbor saw water running out from beneath the garage door. Ever since I turn off the water when I travel, be it winter or summer.

@Seasick Sailor Oh no on the water situation. Glad the power came back on.

@rafinmd Hopefully you get set up for your procedure when you see the surgeon tomorrow.

@NextOne Good news on DH's upcoming surgery.

V

• Like 15

I got news today that my twin sister is doing fine after having her knee replacement surgery early today.  She's had both replaced now.  (I still have both mine, thank goodness)  She gets to come home tomorrow evening and was up walking around already today.  Always good to have positive news like that.

I hate hearing about the frozen pipes.  Like @JazzyVwe turn off water to our house when we leave on trips/cruises winter or summer, then drain water from the pipes.  The reason for that is some of the homes in our development over the years have had pipes burst just because they were defective.  They're not metal, they're those flexible tubing water pipes.  We don't think our pipes are included in that defective batch, but just to be safe we do that anyway.  One home nearby had pipes burst twice and they have had two replacement kitchens, as well as all the floors, drywall, everything.  I can't imagine the mental anguish that would cause.  We don't have flexible water pipes in our attic space though so thank goodness for that.  It gets cold here in the winter quite often.  We moved to this state to have four seasons and indeed we do have all four seasons!🙂

• Like 17

4 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

I heard this morning more than 73% of the lower 48 states have snow cover right now.  Plus, only 3 states in the lower 48 don't have any snow cover - Florida, Georgia, and South Carolina.  I am so happy to be here right now!

Me too!

I've had brief flings living in snowy-ish climes, but I far prefer where I am now. (Except for the random lock-down ice storms we get every few years....)

Not much else from me today. A vodka martini, dirty with two olives would go down nicely after a difficult day of work, and I won't lie -- I could use a random act of kindness today.  Ah well, hope for a better day tomorrow.

image.png.8669f144822285218e1744c56b623d32.png 

• Like 17

Finally got power for the last 2 hours. It was getting pretty chilly! We have a gas stove so if things get really bad we will move our recliners to the oven!

The plumber used a compressor to try to blow the frozen water thru the water heater. It didn't work. He turned the water heater valve to "vacation" and said once the water turned on to move it to a heat setting. 

Got several emails today from our neighborhood block rep. Says at least 4 people have reported ceiling leaks and scooping buckets of snow out of the attic! Looks like snow and sleet came thru the wind turbines.

Still no water, but our neighbor trenched over with a 5 gallon bucket of water. He said it was treacherous outside.

• Like 17

1 hour ago, Mary229 said:

@richwmn  that is interesting about feral cats showing up.  We always adopted those strays either inside or outside until we moved to our current location in 2004.  I have not seen a single stray or feral cat ever in this neighborhood.   

I doubt that Leo is "feral". We have a problem with pets here. Students move into town and decide that they need a pet, usually cats but many times dogs. When they move away they leave the cats behind. This has happened every year I have been here usually in May/June but also in November/December.

A lot of them get adopted but many become feral. Leo is too domesticated to have  been outside very long. I think he was abandoned near me and found his way inside quickly.

Edited by richwmn
  • Like 16
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, richwmn said:

I doubt that Leo is "feral". We have a problem with pets here. Students move into town and decide that they need a pet, usually cats but many times dogs. When they move away they leave the cats behind. This has happened every year I have been here usually in May/June but also in November/December.

A lot of them get adopted but many become feral. Leo is too domesticated to have  been outside very long. I think he was abandoned near me an found his way inside quickly.

Smart kitty!  What a life!

• Like 8

Thanks for all the reports, photos and humour.

@richwmn Lovely Leo looks very comfortable in the washbasin

@rafinmd hope the appointemnt with the surgeon tomorrow will be positive.

@Sharon in AZ your Daffodil photo reminds me that I will soon need to repot some Daffodils, ready for Spring.

@NextOne good news  that your DH will have surgery next Wednesday.

We have returned to Alert level 1, Auckland is now Level 2.  Mask wearing compulsory on public transport for us.

Lovely sunny day, 20C expected.

Stay well and safe everyone.

• Like 11

1 hour ago, richwmn said:

His name is Leo and he showed up a couple of months ago. He likes to be held and stroked. The calico is Callie and doesn't like to be picked up but will allow herself to be stroked for a short while.

Our cat has ignored us for a couple of months, but two days ago she sat with me, allowing herself to be stroked and brushed, with her special brush,...... likes her whiskers to be brushed.

Edited by erewhon
  • Like 10

The chicken and dumplings were a  hit as usual. I do not like the drop dumplings or those made with biscuit mix.  These are a made with  a dough that is rolled thin and cooked on the chicken broth.

Our older DD has power, but the small tank in their water heater is busted.  It’s a tankless system attached to the outside of the house.  They realized too late they should have drained it.  Fortunately, the ordered a replacement and should get it Monday.  Austin is having a water shortage now.  The younger DD is all right.  A branch fell on their roof., but doesn’t appear to have caused any damage.  She works for The University of Texas who told them not to work to save energy.  It’s a mess.

Lenda

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, erewhon said:

Thanks for all the reports, photos and humour.

@richwmn Lovely Leo looks very comfortable in the washbasin

@rafinmd hope the appointemnt with the surgeon tomorrow will be positive.

@Sharon in AZ your Daffodil photo reminds me that I will soon need to repot some Daffodils, ready for Spring.

@NextOne good news  that your DH will have surgery next Wednesday.

We have returned to Alert level 1, Auckland is now Level 2.  Mask wearing compulsory on public transport for us.

Lovely sunny day, 20C expected.

Stay well and safe everyone.

One of my cruising friends lives in a retirement community in Papamoa. 

My husband and I spent two weeks on each island a few years back and loved Queenstown in the South and Bay of Islands in the North. 😍Well, actually, we loved all of NZ. (first time introduced by cruise ship and second time exploring on our own) My husband did so well driving with the steering wheel on the right side that when we came home to California, he had some trouble readjusting, LOL! 🤓

• Like 7

@rafinmd Early good morning to you Roy. I wanted to tell you I'll be thinking of you today and wish the best outcome on your doctor's appt.

We made it thru the night without our ceiling falling onto our bed. Will check in later if possible.  Poor folks that are suffering right now makes our hearts ache.

Joy

• Like 7

7 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

@rafinmd Early good morning to you Roy. I wanted to tell you I'll be thinking of you today and wish the best outcome on your doctor's appt.

We made it thru the night without our ceiling falling onto our bed. Will check in later if possible.  Poor folks that are suffering right now makes our hearts ache.

Joy

Thank you Joy.  I plan to leave the house about 11 and it looks like a very messy day.

Roy

• Like 4

On 2/17/2021 at 12:13 PM, Seahorse99 said:

I was also on Celebrity Mercury in 2004, but do not have photos to share. The Mercury was a really nice, spacious ship perfect for viewing the Inside Passage. I had a float plane trip in Ketchikan which was really fun. All in all, I prefer HAL to Celebrity, though Celebrity did have some good points. The friendliness of HAL’s crew is really special. 

Here's one from the Mercury you might remember.

Deck 14 Celebrity Mercury.jpg

• Haha 1