The Daily for Sunday Feb 21, 2021

richwmn

My first cruise was on the Noordam III and she is still my favorite ship of all time. It was a tour-cruise Alaska 5/28-6/10, 1989. My parents, my husband and I. Unfortunately I don't remember either one of the cabin numbers but the cabins were side by side, and both had partially obstructed views. The ship was so beautiful it felt like we were living in a European museum. 

Thank you Sharon for sharing your photos and bring back such fond memories.

Jane

• Like 10

2 hours ago, Sharon in AZ said:

Here is a blast from the past.  She sure does look small, but still a lovely ship.  Sorry for the quality of the pictures but, hey, this is 1987 after all!  I believe this is Nassau which was actually our last port of call but I liked the pictures of the ship here the best of the lot.

scan0004.thumb.jpg.3d4d6ee28832b85fb5dddbcaf56e4cec.jpg

scan0008.thumb.jpg.e1618f97cc7b37c38f260b759e89a7f1.jpg

scan0007.thumb.jpg.c3e712e8514b844c01069bfa4ef9326a.jpg

We had an inside stateroom.  I wish I knew the cabin number, I remember that it was in the bow and we pitched a lot.  Look at the location and size of that TV!  And the pattern on the fabric!

scan0005.thumb.jpg.26bbfa9b963527e1c364802d5a6b3c5e.jpg

scan0006.thumb.jpg.4d525f5bd109d76efc4179b5cf552e10.jpg

DH liked to get up early and roam the ship.  He took a series of sunrise pictures that were beautiful, I'll just show these 3:

scan0001.thumb.jpg.e9d786a84c63dc33cbd152f8d4914bd4.jpg

scan0002.thumb.jpg.e4ebdcfc2552dd0c9294225cf2418e1e.jpg

scan0003.thumb.jpg.704822072e8dcc056a87d0dc09052b6d.jpg

Happy Sailing!

Love  the  pictures and  the  inside  stateroom. DH  and  I were in a  porthole  cabin  on  the  Veendam to Bermuda  from  New  York  which  was  also  in  the  bow. Oh  my. Lots  or  rocking  and  rolling!  Terry

• Like 8

Good afternoon, all! I’m really late to the party today, for no good reason at all. Interesting mix of days. If you top a bowl of ice cream with swirls of cinnamon and caramel, you can celebrate Grain Free Day AND Sticky Bun Day at the same time! We’re roasting a chicken today, so the casserole will have to wait for tomorrow. We just finished our rain walk. They’re calling for up to an inch of rain today, with an additional downpour in excess of an inch overnight. 
How I long to be wished Happy Sunday by the elevator mats of a blue hulled beauty in person, heading somewhere warm and sunny.

34236DC0-2694-4827-98B9-73161209F427.thumb.jpeg.2b0b22ffe1781a19e7bc8fa3520f11f0.jpeg

• Like 17

Ahhh ... blue Hawaii’s. Our first trip to Hawaii was in the early seventies, right after grad school, when we visited friends in Kaneohe Bay.   She was finishing up her PhD in oceanography at the university. We went camping with them on Kauai. We stayed in a campground that was somewhat inland where it NEVER stopped raining. 

We went out for a fancy dinner one night and everyone ordered Blue Hawaii's. Seems that particular restaurant made them with vodka instead of rum. We were all disappointed but I was the only one in the group willing to drink them anyway. So ... everyone else, one at a time, passed theirs to me, and I consumed them. 

Returning to the rainy camp ground I seem to remember many rainy, wet trips to the bathroom - but then I can’t be sure....

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

My mother and I were on an Alaska cruise/tour on this version of the Noordam circa 1985.  She treated us to the level which would have been a Neptune in this lifetime.  Laughing at the memory.  It was not my favorite cruise as our waiter pestered me incessantly for my address and phone number in Houston, where I lived at the time.  It was a long time, and a completely different time, when I returned to HAL with DH, and we’ve been here ever since.  

• Like 10

All the pictures posted of the Noordam III brought back a lot of good memories, and we've spent part of this afternoon going through old pictures and videos of our cruises on her.  In all, we did 11 cruises (all b2bs or longer) for 132 on board.  She became one of our favorite ships despite her quirks. 

Once we had to change cabins because we were over the engine room or another very hot place.  On one side of the bed, there was no insulation between the floor and the space below, and you could not step on that area without shoes.  On a later segment, one of our tablemates, mentioned their cabin had a place on the floor that was too hot to stand on.  Your should should have seen her face when DH blurted , "I know which side of the bed you sleep on".  🤣

This first picture was taken in 1999 in the Falklands.

310717664_Screenshot2021-02-21152754.thumb.png.8e9016898fdcb806f50f4afc8ff5b7d0.png

This next one was off the coast of Florida on a 2002 TA when we had a Medivac.  I have other pictures showing the people be dropped down and lifted back up, they were not as good.

P4160136.thumb.JPG.3c2d6d026a56b3edeb8914f106f7fba7.JPG

On the TA in 2004, the Officers Black and White Ball was a very special on since Guy Lombardo's Royal Canadians were on board from Tampa to Lisbon.  They played at least twice a day for dancing.  They were also the main show one night, and that one time they requested no dancing.

IMG_2588.thumb.JPG.769483550010aa8636e82692866581ff.JPG

IMG_2590.thumb.JPG.a77d0a0055deed5260f3c5d8c30fbec2.JPG

We miss this ship and all the S and R class ships they have sold.  The only S class we did not sail on was the Maasdam.  We just never could get our schedule to work with her cruises.  I guess we're going to have to adjust to the larger ships, but at least they will be blue hulled beauties.

Lenda

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

All the pictures posted of the Noordam III brought back a lot of good memories, and we've spent part of this afternoon going through old pictures and videos of our cruises on her.  In all, we did 11 cruises (all b2bs or longer) for 132 on board.  She became one of our favorite ships despite her quirks. 

Once we had to change cabins because we were over the engine room or another very hot place.  On one side of the bed, there was no insulation between the floor and the space below, and you could not step on that area without shoes.  On a later segment, one of our tablemates, mentioned their cabin had a place on the floor that was too hot to stand on.  Your should should have seen her face when DH blurted , "I know which side of the bed you sleep on".  🤣

This first picture was taken in 1999 in the Falklands.

310717664_Screenshot2021-02-21152754.thumb.png.8e9016898fdcb806f50f4afc8ff5b7d0.png

This next one was off the coast of Florida on a 2002 TA when we had a Medivac.  I have other pictures showing the people be dropped down and lifted back up, they were not as good.

P4160136.thumb.JPG.3c2d6d026a56b3edeb8914f106f7fba7.JPG

On the TA in 2004, the Officers Black and White Ball was a very special on since Guy Lombardo's Royal Canadians were on board from Tampa to Lisbon.  They played at least twice a day for dancing.  They were also the main show one night, and that one time they requested no dancing.

IMG_2588.thumb.JPG.769483550010aa8636e82692866581ff.JPG

IMG_2590.thumb.JPG.a77d0a0055deed5260f3c5d8c30fbec2.JPG

We miss this ship and all the S and R class ships they have sold.  The only S class we did not sail on was the Maasdam.  We just never could get our schedule to work with her cruises.  I guess we're going to have to adjust to the larger ships, but at least they will be blue hulled beauties.

Lenda

Ah, those open lifeboats.  She still had them when I saw her in 2017.

Roy

• Like 5

Thanks for the daily.

Just read the last few days worth and enjoyed all the snake and skunk stories.  We had a cat door into the laundry room when I was growing up.  The skunks also liked to come in now and again.  They never sprayed in the house, fortunately, but my dad was very quick to run around the house to open the door so they could exit.

Prayers to all who need them and best wishes to all.

• Like 13
  • Haha 1

🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺

IT HAS BEEN ALMOST A WEEK SINCE I WAS ON CC! SO VERY BUSY WITH THE VACCINE DISTRIBUTION. SINCE WE HAVE SEEN THE DELAY IN VACCINES DUE TO THE HORRIBLE WEATHER CONDITIONS (🌺My heart goes out to all especially to my sister Joy!) WE HAVE HAD TO DELAY SEVERAL AREAS DUE FOR 2nd  DOSES AT THE BIG DRIVE THROUGHS. I HAVE BEEN FORTUNATE WHERE I AM HELPING AND WE HAD PLENTY OVER 4,000 ADMINISTERED!! 
🌺My David was one of them! HE SAID I DID GOOD! 
🌺🌺ROY, SO HAPPY YOU RECEIVED YOUR 2nd DOSE. GOOD THOUGHTS FOR YOUR TELEMED APPT. PRAYERS YOUR WAY.

🌺🌺JOY. I AM SO RELIEVED WITH YOUR WATER SITUATION! YOU ARE REMARKABLE WITH SUCH A POSITIVE ATTITUDE AND PRAYER!! YOU ARE SO LOVED AND THOSE LITTLE HUMMINGBIRDS HAVE THE BEST CAREGIVER! MY LIVE TO YOU AND ALLEN!

🌺🌺ANN, I THINK I WOULD LIKE THIS CHARDONNAY!  SO ENJOY YOUR HIKE! I THINK BY THE TIME YOU READ  THIS YOU WILL BE HAVING WINE👍 what hiking boots do you have! I LOVE OBOZ THAT I WEAR. I HAVE VERY FLAT FEET AND WITH MY ORTHOTICS THEY ARE SO COMFORTABLE AND I CAN WALK FOREVER! 

🌺🌺Jacqui, I AM SO SORRY ABOUT YOUR NEIGHBOR!! OMGOSH. WHAT A WONDERFUL SOUL YOU ARE TO HELP OUT WITH YOUR BEAUTIFUL DINNERS.

🌺🌺SUMMER, HAD A BLUE  HAWAII FIRST TIME IN HILO WHEN WE FIRST WENT TO HAWAII ADTER OUR COLLEGE GRADUATIONS! MY FIRST AND LAST! LOL!! ENOUGH SAID

🌺🌺DEBBIE HAPPY YOUR SISTER WAS WITH YOU AND YOU HAD A GREAT TIME!  APPRECIATE THE DINNER PHOTO! 
🥰 OKAY I KNOW I AM RAMBLING AND TIME TO SIGN OFF!! LOOKS LIKE I WILL STILL HELP WITH NEXT WEEK VACCINES. WE ARE SUPPOSE TO RECEIVE MORE COMING IN ON TUESDAY! THAT IS GOOD, BECAUSE I AM BUSY TOMORROW WITH MY DAVID’S 🥳 

🎂 BIRTHDAY

Denise😊

• Like 15

Good afternoon all!  Another very wet, cool day here in the PNW.  

When we had our snow last week, I had one daffodil that was trying to come up early (just the one!). The snow covered it and completely bent the stem down -- but now it's standing straight and blooming.  I feel like this daffodil is saying "haha!"

Looking forward to seeing the rest of the daffodils bloom that were planted the same time. It's a bit strange to have only one blooming, but I'll take it.   😉  

And one of my favorites, some Hellebore.

daffodil.jpg

spring.jpg

• Like 19

29 minutes ago, Av8rix said:

Seriously?  Jenn is still working? 

Yes, ma'am...  6 days a week.  And when she is home, she is writing orders for the store.  Her store has stayed quite busy despite the virus.  Since the holidays are the busiest, we can only cruise after Christmas for a long trip (14 days).  Summers in a beach town are pretty. crazy too...  Since we saw you, I un-retired for another 14 months then retired again for the third time.  Now I only do vaccine clinics and cook.  Just  bought a smoker and learning it.  Guess I will weigh 200 pounds by Easter...

Hope you are well...

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

Today was bittersweet for me.  4 years my DH passed away.  My darling step-daughter and her husband took me to lunch and gave me the flowers shown In the photo, if it posts.  I love yellow roses and that was the flower I always re ei Ed on special occasions.  

Our first cruise was on the Noordam in 1985.  A special memory on that cruise was sailing into San Francisco in the early morning.  Saw the sun rise behind the Golden Gate Bridge.  Not a usual port for a cruise ship, at least in the later cruising world.

Have a great evening, everyone.

2512B472-7151-4A3D-821D-3099B3D22E8C.jpeg

• Like 24

Thanks to Rich and Roy for the daily lists, and thanks for all the humour and photos.

@rafinmdyour alternate menu is very appealing. pleased that your arm is not hurting, and thanks for the report of your visit to Stewart Island.........yes the South Island is "The Mainland".

@Seasick Sailor good to know that your water pipes are intact.

@smitty34877 hope you both do not suffer after effects from falling.

@DeeniEncinitas you deserve a relaxing day off, Happy Bithday to David.

It's a pleasant sunny day. 22C.

Yesterday  the Italian yacht Luna Rossa won the Prada Cup and the right to challenge Emirates Team  New Zealand for the Americas Cup.

Stay well and safe everyone.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DeeniEncinitas said:

🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺

IT HAS BEEN ALMOST A WEEK SINCE I WAS ON CC! SO VERY BUSY WITH THE VACCINE DISTRIBUTION. SINCE WE HAVE SEEN THE DELAY IN VACCINES DUE TO THE HORRIBLE WEATHER CONDITIONS (🌺My heart goes out to all especially to my sister Joy!) WE HAVE HAD TO DELAY SEVERAL AREAS DUE FOR 2nd  DOSES AT THE BIG DRIVE THROUGHS. I HAVE BEEN FORTUNATE WHERE I AM HELPING AND WE HAD PLENTY OVER 4,000 ADMINISTERED!! 
🌺My David was one of them! HE SAID I DID GOOD! 
🌺🌺ROY, SO HAPPY YOU RECEIVED YOUR 2nd DOSE. GOOD THOUGHTS FOR YOUR TELEMED APPT. PRAYERS YOUR WAY.

🌺🌺JOY. I AM SO RELIEVED WITH YOUR WATER SITUATION! YOU ARE REMARKABLE WITH SUCH A POSITIVE ATTITUDE AND PRAYER!! YOU ARE SO LOVED AND THOSE LITTLE HUMMINGBIRDS HAVE THE BEST CAREGIVER! MY LIVE TO YOU AND ALLEN!

🌺🌺ANN, I THINK I WOULD LIKE THIS CHARDONNAY!  SO ENJOY YOUR HIKE! I THINK BY THE TIME YOU READ  THIS YOU WILL BE HAVING WINE👍 what hiking boots do you have! I LOVE OBOZ THAT I WEAR. I HAVE VERY FLAT FEET AND WITH MY ORTHOTICS THEY ARE SO COMFORTABLE AND I CAN WALK FOREVER! 

🌺🌺Jacqui, I AM SO SORRY ABOUT YOUR NEIGHBOR!! OMGOSH. WHAT A WONDERFUL SOUL YOU ARE TO HELP OUT WITH YOUR BEAUTIFUL DINNERS.

🌺🌺SUMMER, HAD A BLUE  HAWAII FIRST TIME IN HILO WHEN WE FIRST WENT TO HAWAII ADTER OUR COLLEGE GRADUATIONS! MY FIRST AND LAST! LOL!! ENOUGH SAID

🌺🌺DEBBIE HAPPY YOUR SISTER WAS WITH YOU AND YOU HAD A GREAT TIME!  APPRECIATE THE DINNER PHOTO! 
🥰 OKAY I KNOW I AM RAMBLING AND TIME TO SIGN OFF!! LOOKS LIKE I WILL STILL HELP WITH NEXT WEEK VACCINES. WE ARE SUPPOSE TO RECEIVE MORE COMING IN ON TUESDAY! THAT IS GOOD, BECAUSE I AM BUSY TOMORROW WITH MY DAVID’S 🥳 

🎂 BIRTHDAY

Denise😊

Eek!! There's my girl! I knew you were exhausted from giving of your time. You are my sister after all. I love you and miss you.

David: Happy Birthday to my sweet, adorable, precious brother!! Thank you for loving and watching over my baby sister!! Love you muchly and God bless you!

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Cruising-along said:

Good afternoon all!  Another very wet, cool day here in the PNW.  

When we had our snow last week, I had one daffodil that was trying to come up early (just the one!). The snow covered it and completely bent the stem down -- but now it's standing straight and blooming.  I feel like this daffodil is saying "haha!"

Looking forward to seeing the rest of the daffodils bloom that were planted the same time. It's a bit strange to have only one blooming, but I'll take it.   😉  

And one of my favorites, some Hellebore.

daffodil.jpg

spring.jpg

Lovely, a brave daffodil

• Like 7

1 hour ago, erewhon said:

you deserve a relaxing day off, Happy Bithday to David.

It's a pleasant sunny day. 22C.

Yesterday  the Italian yacht Luna Rossa won the Prada Cup and the right to challenge Emirates Team  New Zealand for the Americas Cup.

🌺 Erewhon!! Thank you!image.thumb.jpeg.58440f9039e3db77384eec9f8676c35f.jpeg

2013 we were here and was able to see us win the Americas Cup! It was a great race! Also we got up close and personal on the dock and was able to see Larry Ellison on his yatch, The Musashi where he was standing looking at we counted 8

computer screens!! This was days before the race. He turned around and waved at us!! I yelled we own your stock! LOL. Nice memories .

Denise😊

• Like 7

1 hour ago, cruzn single said:

Our first cruise was on the Noordam in 1985.  A special memory on that cruise was sailing into San Francisco in the early morning.  Saw the sun rise behind the Golden Gate Bridge.  Not a usual port for a cruise ship, at least in the later cruising world.

Have a great evening, everyone.

2512B472-7151-4A3D-821D-3099B3D22E8C.jpeg

So lovely!!  Yellow roses were my step father’s favorite also. And I love that you used your tiles to set the vase on. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Eek!! There's my girl! I knew you were exhausted from giving of your time. You are my sister after all. I love you and miss you.

David: Happy Birthday to my sweet, adorable, precious brother!! Thank you for loving and watching over my baby sister!! Love you muchly and God bless you!

🌴🌴🌴🌴🌴

❤️Hi my sister! Finally relaxing sitting outside beautiful sunset and David is watching Australia Open on the IPAD.

We had Santa Anna’s today so breezy and warm. Sorry no pun 😞intended !

I know the weather in Georgetown is cold! So happy no pipes broke! I just can’t 

Imagine what you went through! Watching TV with David  Texas was so sad! Shawn’s dear girlfriend and her boyfriend sold their condo here and left Friday moving to Houston!! They purchased near downtown and was going to move in Monday to their new Condo! Hope all is safe. Have not heard from them yet.

Give Allen a big hug and kiss!!Let him know how much we care.

Sleep well and stay warm🥰

❤️Deeni

• Like 8

2 hours ago, cruzn single said:

Today was bittersweet for me.  4 years my DH passed away.  My darling step-daughter and her husband took me to lunch and gave me the flowers shown In the photo, if it posts.  I love yellow roses and that was the flower I always re ei Ed on special occasions.  

Thinking of you today; anniversaries of loved one’s passing are always tough.  May the love and life you shared bring you comfort. 

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 7

13 hours ago, DeeniEncinitas said:

what hiking boots do you have! I LOVE OBOZ THAT I WEAR. 

Denise - first Happy Birthday to David!

I have Salomon hiking shoes/boots. It was a toss up between them and an Oboz pair. But I found mine on Sierra.com for a really low price, so that made my decision for me.  Something I did not expect since they are usually out of my size. 

Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1