The Daily for Sunday Feb 21, 2021

richwmn

today is Card Reading Day, National Grain Free Day, and National Sticky Bun Day

Winter is the season in which people try to keep the house as warm as it was in the summer, when they complained about the heat.

Meal suggestion for today - Contest-Winning Broccoli Chicken Casserole

Drink of the Day - Blue Hawaii

Wine of the day - Ramey 2017 Rochioli Vineyard Chardonnay (Russian River Valley) Sonoma

at Sea Pacific
Nieuw Amsterdam destination La Paz MX eta 2/24

La Paz MX Anchorage
Noordam
Zuiderdam

Los Angeles
Koningsdam

Port Everglades
Nieuw Statendam

San Diego Anchorage
Westerdam

Torquay
Eurodam
Oosterdam
Volendam
Zaandam

0221World.thumb.png.b2b2109c6475b7f9ddaeb9264e504a34.png

• Like 29
  • Thanks 5

Thank you for the Sunday Daily Rich.  An interesting collection if days,  So true about winter.  I'll pass on the Chicken Casserole despite the awards.  My alternative is Chilled Blueberry Soup, Sauteed Pork Chop, and Blueberry Crisp as served on MS Koningsdam on February 21, 2017.  14 hours later no arm pain this time.

https://solocabinchallenge.files.wordpress.com/2017/02/dishes21.jpg

Today's care list:

Caregiver Gsel and her DH battling Alzheimers

myself facing cardiac surgery

RIP D. Roger Ferguson

Those facing emergencies from Texas weather

superoma recovering from lumpectomy

HAL (and other crews)

and Krazy Kruisers and Joe

Today's Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Teachers, school workers and at home surrogates

Front Line Health Care Workers

Himself back home

travelingbums scheduled for second jab

Grand World Voyage booked for HorizonChaser1957 and Rich

Red Haired Lady’s new range

My second jab accomplished

Joy’s water returning

This community

A Fort Lauderdale sailaway (1700)

and Sabine, HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 30
  • Thanks 4

Good morning.  Thanks for the Sunday Daily Report.

As always, an interesting collection of days.  I'd love a sticky bun 😃, but not sure how to do that on a grain free day.  I don't know anything about card reading, but I enjoy cribbage or euchre.

The dinner suggestion sounds good - I'm looking forward to reading that recipe.

Love the quote - so true.

The drink of the day and the wine sound good to me.

Sending prayers for everyone.

Stay safe.

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

Good morning.  Like all the days, and the meal sounds delicious.  Will wait for Debbie to post the recipe.  The quote is so true, but not here in Florida.  Watched the Koningdam on the Smithsonian channel last night and it showed Sabine.  Good to put a face to the name.  Is the Rotterdam going to have the same layout as the Koningdam.

Prayers and virtual hugs to our care list.  Toasts 🥤to our celebration list.  So happy it's the longer one.

Stay safe, social distance, and wear your mask.

Blue Hawaii:

Ingredients.
1 fluid ounce light rum.
1 fluid ounce blue Curacao liqueur.
2 fluid ounces pineapple juice.
1 fluid ounce cream of coconut.
1 cup crushed ice.
1 pineapple slice.
1 maraschino cherry.
Preparation: Combine all ingredients with ice, stir or shake, then pour into a hurricane glass with the ice. For garnish score pineapple or orange slice with a knife and inert onto rim of glass; optionally use toothpick or cocktail umbrella to spear maraschino cherry through center and attach to top of fruit slice; otherwise float cherry on top of ice.
Served: On the rocks; poured over ice

Screen Shot 2021-02-21 at 6.55.21 AM.png

• Like 24
  • Thanks 3

Good morning, everyone.  

It seems strange to be by myself after having my sister here all last week.  I imagine she is feeling strange not being here as well.  

A cold start to the day today with only 3 degrees F.   It is supposed to get up to 34 this afternoon and stay above freezing for a while.  That will be nice, but a lot of snow melt will occur.  

Today's meal has mixed reviews on Taste of Home.  Some say it is too dry.  Others seem to really like it.  You can be the judge:   https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/contest-winning-broccoli-chicken-casserole/

Broccoli chicken casserole.jpg

• Like 24
  • Thanks 2

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich! A conundrum of days - grain free & sticky buns. Hmmmm. In my younger days, one of my favorite girls outings was going to have our cards read. Always fun to compare notes. 

Roy, thank you for keeping our lists. Hope your appointment goes well tomorrow. Morning Dailyites & my Sisters. Joy, happy to see that things are improving. 

Love the quote. The meal sounds good. That drink is just gorgeous, Summer!  A beautiful day in the neighborhood. Off early to hike Ravine Gardens, a state park about 30 minutes from me. Test driving my new hiking shoes & poles. Takeout might be in my future tonight depending on my level of energy. 

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Stay well everyone!

This wine’s lowest rating - all vintages is 93! I might have to break my budget to try this Chardonnay. This might be only the second time I have seen a rating of 99. There are several online distributors with prices starting at $54.99.  And if this price is too rich for you, Ramey’s

“non-Rochioli” Chardonnay has excellent ratings with prices in the mid-$30s.

Winemaker Notes

After aging 20 months in 20% new François Frères and Taransaud Beaune French oak barrels, this Chardonnay was fined and settled in tank following the next harvest. It was then bottled without filtration.

WE99 Wine Enthusiast: Only the third vintage by this producer from a spectacular site, this elegant wine is brimming in tension and length. Delicate layers of Meyer lemon, Gravenstein apple and pear show an abundance on the palate, seasoned in salty oak, nutmeg and a hint of cardamom.Editors' Choice.

• Like 25
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the Daily, Rich and our morning smile 🙂 

Interesting mix of days especially since grain free day & sticky bun day seem to be a contradiction 😉 Looks like you have to choose, so I choose the sticky buns 😉 

Love the quote.  Fully admit that I like heat and hate the cold.  

3CA786DA-A995-4B17-AC96-A7051416ABF0.jpeg.a8da1c7b312ea5abfb861c77bb1ad92d.jpeg

The meal suggestion sounds good.  Need to check to see if I have any broccoli.

@rafinmdglad to hear your good news that your arm doesn’t hurt!

@Seasick Sailorso glad to hear you have running water again and all seems to be good.  Hopefully there was no leaking last night. 🤞 

@cat shepardthat Chardonnay does sound good.  I’m scared to see what the price is here, though 😉 

Yesterday’s stories of snakes and guardian dogs inspired me to highlight these 2 guardian dogs:

4CA88AA9-3802-4171-8952-2A38D54D89D0.thumb.jpeg.5431b4c6f52df6a110eca4fe90389ace.jpeg

Prayers for those on Roy’s Care list & for those that need them and a bit toast to everyone on the Celebratory / Shout out list.

An oldie but a goodie - The answer to the age old question 😉 :

AFEEEB70-47B3-4454-B462-380C24211DEF.jpeg.638ee0d6a9f8788a287687c23508f853.jpeg

Have a great Sunday everyone.  Stay warm and safe and please don’t forget your masks 😷 

• Like 31
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Good morning Rich. A great Daily today. Thanks!

Hi Roy. You are in my prayers. Good morning "savy" sisters and fellow Dailyites. 

I jumped out of bed this morning and turned on a water tap relieved to see water.

I'm sad to see how much damage and loss of life the storms have had on our Lone Star state. 

Ann have fun on your hike with your new shoes and poles. Watch out for snakes.. lol. After all our snake stories last night, maybe we should seek out another subject! I'll bet our other sister is sleeping in today after all her volunteering with shots this week. Love you both!

The wine sounds delicious! No gravel or dirt tones.. but the brimming with tension note makes me think to hold this one awhile.. we have had enough tension as of late 🤪

Prayers and Cheers, 

Joy

Edited by Seasick Sailor
  • Like 21
  • Thanks 1

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  An interesting collection of days to celebrate - I've never had my cards read, but would like to.  Grain free and sticky buns?  Yep, I'm with the sticky buns people.

@rafinmdI'm happy to hear your arm is fine after your 2nd jab; hopefully you'll be among the folks who don't have any issues with the vaccine!  @Seasick Sailorwhat a relief for you to know your water pipes are intact and your home didn't sustain any damage.

I like both menu suggestions today, although if I had to choose, I'd go with Roy's only because it would mean I'm sitting in the dining room on one of those Dam ships. I have a small beef roast that DH brought out of the "ice cave" yesterday, so I'm thinking I'll be putting it into the oven along with potatoes and carrots to make a nice all-in-one meal for us tonight.  And wine.

@kazuI thought of you at once when I saw this, so had to shareImage result for coyote in the car memes

Prayers for everyone who needs them, and even for those who don't think they do.  Raising our wine glasses to celebrate all on the happy list tonight.  Stay well, be safe, keep warm, wash your hands and wear your mask(s).

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 27
  • Haha 2

I'm cheating a bit on this sunrise.  It is February 22 but it is on the opposite side of the dateline so I'll call it February 21.  On this day 3 years ago the Crystal Symphony visited Stewart Island,  pretty much New Zealand's southernmost Island.

dawn0222.jpg

Roy

• Like 31
  • Thanks 1

Thank you Rich and Roy.

Thank you everyone for sharing and caring😀

Thank you Roy for putting us on your list for our 2nd jab. Hopefully there will be no delays.

My mother used to read cards and sometimes she would scare me with her fortune telling. I miss her very much. My mother was fun to be around.

Watched the Koningdam last night also....It was great. Go Sabine❤️

I coud use the drink and a sticky bun.😁

• Like 15

Thanks for The Daily! 

Sunshine on the snow this morning. Our newspaper suggests the following for in the garden this week: 

Provide seeds for songbirds if a late winter storm buries their natural food supplies.

Since we got back from Branson MO, my husband braved the snow and filled the birdfeeders which made the birds (and the squirrels) very happy. Getting up to 41 degrees today so some of that snow should be melting. 

Take care all and have a lovely Sunday.

St Louis Sal

• Like 24

We made a pot pie with the leftover roast chicken and veggies for dinner last night. It turned out pretty good -

20210220_195125.thumb.jpg.7cfa94a257d805a21bc6680169b1bcfa.jpg

Now it is time to boil up the rest of the bird for soup!

It seems like I haven't posted any flowers for awhile, so here are a couple more orchids from around Hilo -

DSC_0245.thumb.JPG.a94240123c64c7ee9cf3ce529ac4d07c.JPGDSC_0244.thumb.JPG.683e5865db0b410e01ac2a5f20fb81e1.JPG

• Like 30
  • Thanks 1

Good Morning  to  all. I  was  a  bit  under  the  weather  due  to a rather  spectacular  sidewalk  fall yesterday. My  trusty Fred had  his  feet  go  out  from  under  him  too. We  are  both  fine  but  I  have a  very large  bruised  area . My  DD  commented  that  it  perhaps  a  good  thing  I  have  more  padding these  days  due  to  covid  pounds. She got  us  both  laughing at  least.

Some  of  the  ice  will  melt  today  and  in  the  next  few  warmer  days. One  can  only  hope.

Happy  belated  birthday  to@cruisemom42.

Glad water  is  back  without  incident  in Joy's  home in  Texas

I  got  very  nervous  reading  all  the  snake  stories. I  am  a  real  city  girl, I  guess. I  would be useless   in  a  snake  emergency.

We  are  having  takeout  for  dinner  which  is  not  usual  and  so  very  exciting. It  is  the  small  things  in  life  that  bring  us  such  great  pleasure.

Terry

• Like 15
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

Good morning everyone!  Thank you for the Daily Rich and thank you for your lists Roy. I prefer cinnamon rolls over sticky buns. I’ll pass on the grain free day. I might make Roy’s meal suggestion, I have pork chops in the freezer. Last night I made pizza. I found the dough in the freezer and had all the ingredients. It’s a ricotta, mozzarella, Parmesan base with asparagus and red onion. Yum. 

28DE4699-7057-461D-9C19-F3663F56F1CC.thumb.jpeg.3021ca88e20e24746fe9aad2de2284b9.jpeg

68C44FFD-4C8A-4569-B517-0A771F3E33BC.thumb.jpeg.7dd8fab8e3885b86928174d6a619669a.jpeg

Not really DH’s favorite, he prefers Margherita Pizza or sausage pizza, but sometimes I just have to make what I like and then remind him that he can cook too. 

Today is a special day of remembering. We boarded the Noordam 34 years ago today, February 21, 1987 for a 7 day Caribbean cruise. It was our very first cruise and was a surprise trip planned by DH.  He was going to Florida for a conference and he added on the cruise and Disney World.  I’m going to get out the pictures so I can reminisce. 

Have a great day everyone!

• Like 26
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Sharon in AZ said:

Good morning everyone!  Thank you for the Daily Rich and thank you for your lists Roy. I prefer cinnamon rolls over sticky buns. I’ll pass on the grain free day. I might make Roy’s meal suggestion, I have pork chops in the freezer. Last night I made pizza. I found the dough in the freezer and had all the ingredients. It’s a ricotta, mozzarella, Parmesan base with asparagus and red onion. Yum. 

28DE4699-7057-461D-9C19-F3663F56F1CC.thumb.jpeg.3021ca88e20e24746fe9aad2de2284b9.jpeg

68C44FFD-4C8A-4569-B517-0A771F3E33BC.thumb.jpeg.7dd8fab8e3885b86928174d6a619669a.jpeg

Not really DH’s favorite, he prefers Margherita Pizza or sausage pizza, but sometimes I just have to make what I like and then remind him that he can cook too. 

Today is a special day of remembering. We boarded the Noordam 34 years ago today, February 21, 1987 for a 7 day Caribbean cruise. It was our very first cruise and was a surprise trip planned by DH.  He was going to Florida for a conference and he added on the cruise and Disney World.  I’m going to get out the pictures so I can reminisce. 

Have a great day everyone!

Your pizza looks good! 

On a side note, your plate looks like Pfaltzgraff "Aura". We had an extensive set that we used everyday for 30+ years. They got donated to charity when we sold the house last year. With the hand-me-downs that we got from my parents and Mitzi's mom, we had way too many sets of dishes!

• Like 10

Good morning everyone. I can relate to the card reading day because I have been playing Mahjongg every day on the computer and reading the 2020 card. Sometimes I play against the computer and sometimes I pick up a computer game with strangers. Helps pass the day.

I love the quote. I really really hate the cold. That’s why we’ve wintered in Florida the past 5 winters. 

Not a lot going on today. It’s going to be 36 degrees so maybe some of the snow will melt ahead of tomorrow’s predicted snow storm. I haven’t seen this much snow in years. Did I mention I hate the snow.

DH called the VA yesterday to see about help getting the vaccine. He’s supposed to call back Monday morning to speak to someone who might be able to help.

Carol

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1