Cruising Without Masks?

13 hours ago, Biker19 said:

Really? I thought you couldn't book those till next week.

You are right.  My mistake.  That info came from an Israeli talking about the interest in booking that they had seen, not actual bookings.  But I think my mistake will prove to be prophetic. 😉

17 minutes ago, Pandamonia said:

The cruise lines balance sheets will be horrible and they will need to fill their ships to capacity to pay back debts and run the full fleet. They will not be able to put restrictions on ships for long because filling ships will be a problem and until all the ships are back on the water they have no idea how badly damaged the cruise industry actually is. At the moment there is no capacity so it doesnt show the reality. Plus all the L&F and FCC which are still in the system.

Personally, I think that is where all the "pent up demand" is coming from that the CEOs keep talking about.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ocean Boy said:

Personally, I think that is where all the "pent up demand" is coming from that the CEOs keep talking about.

Yes which is code for "refunds we refused to give to the US market because of T&C's" id be interested to see where in the EU those figures are at where you are legally entitled to a refund.

45 minutes ago, ace2542 said:

Which if stated then surely puts the masking situation firmly into the field of the cruise lines themselves and their arch enemies the ambulance chasers who in UK and US too I am sure can get £2500 in the UK for your so called aches and pains that YOU SELD CONFIRM without xray lasted 6-8 weeks after the accident  in which you are passenger or non fault driver and wearing seatbelt. And which was reported to the insurance company within the last 3 years.

Imagine what they will do for the Covid claims?

Stop posting this junk mate, you make the UK look bad.

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Pandamonia said:

Stop posting this junk mate, you make the UK look bad.

How is that making us look bad when they sue for millions of dollars for whatever.

If the powerhouse CDC says as above and masks are no longer needed on ships in their view then masks become purely the concern of the cruiselines surely?. You do know don't you that the CDC only has jurisdiction in U.S WATERS and those waters run an area of 12 miles of the coast of the USA. So if that is correct then they do not hold sway over the so called continuous territory area of U.S immigration control which includes Canada, Mexico, all of the Caribbean and maybe even as far as Iceland or even towards the Republic of Ireland. You do know you have to travel pretty damn far to be considered to have LEFT THE USA. 

So if CDC step away. Then the lines only concern beyond vaccination of staff will be being sued? If they do not feel that will be an issue they may well scrap masks and other concerns very quickly.

Edited by ace2542

1 hour ago, Pandamonia said:

The cruise lines balance sheets will be horrible and they will need to fill their ships to capacity to pay back debts and run the full fleet. They will not be able to put restrictions on ships for long because filling ships will be a problem and until all the ships are back on the water they have no idea how badly damaged the cruise industry actually is. At the moment there is no capacity so it doesnt show the reality

A cruise line will be in trouble IF and WHEN they scrap a new build of a ship. So far that has not happened.  Though perhaps for Royal the sale of Azamara was very well timed. And Cunard have put theirs back more than a year.

Edited by ace2542

2 hours ago, ace2542 said:

What is the point in wear the masks on the ship then if it is not worn in ANY of those circumstances? Including the tiered seating in which people sit for what 1 hour 40 minutes at least?

This is my problem with all of it, the total randomness. Just based on the fact that you're fine if you're seated, but mask on if you're standing. There's no science in this. 

33 minutes ago, ace2542 said:

How is that making us look bad when they sue for millions of dollars for whatever. 

If the powerhouse CDC says as above and masks are no longer needed on ships in their view then masks become purely the concern of the cruiselines. You do know don't you that the CDC only has jurisdiction in U.S WATERS and those waters run an area of 12 miles of the coast of the USA. So if that is correct then they do not hold sway over the so called continuous territory area of U.S immigration control which includes Canada, Mexico, all of the Caribbean and maybe even as far as Iceland or even towards the Republic of Ireland. You do know you have to travel pretty damn far to be considered to have LEFT THE USA. 

So there only concern then is being sued for getting sick with Covid? If they do not feel that will be an issue they may well scrap masks and other concerns very quickly.

Well at least i can understand this version of what you wrote lol.

So you are referring to liability versus CDC guidelines. A Cruise line doesnt have any liability for sickness or disease passed from person to person but it does have liability for food poisoning for example. 

Health measures at the moment are just a propaganda exercise because they cant sail. i dont think liability is their main concern at the moment

• Like 1

As far as the demand for cruising, just based on my own experience I think this demand will wane for many people once they take a cruise and experience the "new" way of cruising. It's not just the masks, it's the closed bars, the closed restaurants, the limited shows, the limited amenities. You end up paying the same price (or more), but getting much less. So, at least as it was for me after experiencing Disney World with a mask, it becomes not about the mask, but about what you're not getting for all that money you're dishing out. Now, if the cruises come back with everything open the same, only you have to wear masks except when eated/drinking/seated in the magically barrier that comes up when you sit down, then maybe cruising will survive it, but I have my doubts otherwise. It's too much money.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mariketa said:

As far as the demand for cruising, just based on my own experience I think this demand will wane for many people once they take a cruise and experience the "new" way of cruising. It's not just the masks, it's the closed bars, the closed restaurants, the limited shows, the limited amenities. You end up paying the same price (or more), but getting much less. So, at least as it was for me after experiencing Disney World with a mask, it becomes not about the mask, but about what you're not getting for all that money you're dishing out. Now, if the cruises come back with everything open the same, only you have to wear masks except when eated/drinking/seated in the magically barrier that comes up when you sit down, then maybe cruising will survive it, but I have my doubts otherwise. It's too much money.

Last year the opened pubs with stupid restrictions. But it was mostly normal. 

Places were DEAD. Friday night nobody in them. 

Imagine being stuck on a hospital ship and treated like you carry plague and paying thousands of dollars/pounds for the pleasure of it. 

15 minutes ago, Mariketa said:

This is my problem with all of it, the total randomness. Just based on the fact that you're fine if you're seated, but mask on if you're standing. There's no science in this. 

Well, since droplets fall, maybe they should reverse it. No mask when standing but put it on when sitting.😇

9 minutes ago, Pandamonia said:

So you are referring to liability versus CDC guidelines. A Cruise line doesnt have any liability for sickness or disease passed from person to person but it does have liability for food poisoning for example. 

Health measures at the moment are just a propaganda exercise because they cant sail. i dont think liability is their main concern at the moment

Do they have liability for sickness passing among the crew doing company business or even death from sickness among  crew doing company business?. Because their main problem moving forward is going to be the vaccination of crew working on the ships and the potential difficulty and inability of lines  being able to secure corporate supply of vaccines. The CDC is pushing the industry towards a no vaccine no sail stance in my opinion with this latest news but still no line has any real idea how to get their staff vaccinated.

Just checking back on these boards for the first time in months.  We were hoping to cruise this summer, but recently gave up on that and booked a trip to Florida instead.  Now hoping for a December cruise, but won't even consider it if masks are required.  

• Like 4

51 minutes ago, Mariketa said:

Of course there is science behind the recommendations. There is also some common sense.

The science involves the physics of aerosol and droplet propagation.

The common sense involves the principal reason for sitting down at a table in a restaurant.

On 2/27/2021 at 6:28 PM, taglovestocruise said:

I am right with your husband.  I will never cruise again if masks are required. We have a TA booked for Oct. and if they don't cancel we probably will if the mask and social distancing rules still apply.  Luckily we are booked under CWC and can bail at the last minute. 

What is CWC?

1 hour ago, TheMastodon said:

Agree.  I don't see how they can sail with unvaccinated folks initially.  

I don't see how they can ever sail with unvaccinated "folks" as you Americans say. I love that word "folks". What if at some point they get hundreds of unvaccinated folks perhaps on a 2 week TA. They could get a serious outbreak onboard. They only have about 5 beds at most in the medical centre you know.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, broadwaybaby123 said:

It all depends on when we can achieve herd immunity, be it with vaccines or without.  The vaccine rollout certainly will help, but until more people are able to get the vaccine in their arms, we may be stuck.

I truly believe the county I live in is nearing herd immunity between vaccinations and the high % of people who already have had covid.  Our confirmed cases are down to an average of about 4 per day in a county of close to 30,000.  They were about 10 times that for most of November & December and slowly started to drop off in January.  Granted, we are a small county who never really locked down so cases really spiked so we are ahead of much of the rest of the country.  But I don't see how the rest of the country isn't going to be there within a month or two.