The Daily for Wednesday Mar 03, 2021

richwmn

15 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

While I haven't been to Qaqortoq, I have been to a few ports in Greenland, Nuuk twice,  Sisimiut, and Ilulissat (well, almost).  The 3 ports were part of my 2016 Crystal Serenity Northwest Passage cruise.  While we really had no significant encounters with ice on the Northwest Passage, Ilulissat made up for it.  After visiting the NWP ports via Zodiacs, I think we were supposed to use our tenders for the Greenland visits, but ice conditions prevented it.  They also had planned to have local boats come out and give us tours of the harbor but they couldn't reach us.  I did get to go out among the ice fields on a Zodiac cruise, fortunate because even those were cancelled later in the day.  One nice thing on that voyage was a Hot Chocolate Zodiac circulated giving us a mid cruise warmup.

chocboat.jpg

Roy

We were fortunate in 2003 on the Rotterdam, on the precursor to the VOV, to make it into Ilulissat, Sisimiut, and Nuuk.  In Ilulissat we walked out to the fjord where all the big icebergs were calving.  It is also an interesting village.  In Sisimiut, we rode the city bus up the hill and then I think we walked back down, or walked part way.  The weather in Nuuk was cloudy so we just walked around town and visited a museum. 

Ilulissat and the icebergs.

IMG_1681.thumb.JPG.2521f5c0687db94d8c1078f121de3f68.JPG

We turned around and there was town.

IMG_1690.thumb.JPG.09aec54719267e50de354b032a8b27f5.JPG

Icebergs as seen from our balcony.

IMG_1705.thumb.JPG.c720072952c805656ca7b0e09b30d6f3.JPG

Sisimiut  

IMG_1719.thumb.JPG.19d8de4b63c82d7496fb495255683944.JPG

IMG_1730.thumb.JPG.43b62b89d5f3975c9104b9314185ea49.JPG

Nuuk

IMG_1771.thumb.JPG.bff26659d253413c01ac16ec0e3b6491.JPG

We would like to go back, but so far we have not found a cruise that goes their except the NWP, which did not fit our schedule.

Lenda

• Like 23

3 hours ago, bennybear said:

Mine too!   I just ordered some new blue dishes, the old ones were getting tired and nearly twenty years of daily use.   They’re the ones from the pinnacle grill,  so at least I can feel I’m at sea!  

DA969283-F9C7-49F0-8780-EA655E50156A.jpeg

59F0C753-0A3D-4C0B-9FF2-CF4186DFB307.jpeg

OMG!!!  I love these!  What brand are they?

• Like 7

1 hour ago, DeeniEncinitas said:

image.thumb.jpeg.9f8a1b75c084a68318fde56ed6b2688e.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.648e02b8fae102e6fdb7a8f2e4cefd94.jpeg

🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺

Sorry so late!!! We have a nice storm today bringing a lot of rain to our area.

I am doing baby hummingbird watch!!

Today is our Shawn’s Birthday and also the little baby hummingbirds hatched. Wish my phone  could do a better zoom !

worried about the rain. I have seen her fly away come back to feed them! They are like the size of little bees. So hope they survive this storm.

🌺All have a great day! 
Denise😊

Congrats Aunt Denise & Uncle David! 🍾🥂 Thank you for sharing the pics. 

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Vict0riann said:

How cruel!  First time in the winter booties....

Ann - I think that is the funniest video I have ever seen.  Looks like after about a minute he (she) got it figured out.

Speaking of aggressive flies:  The worst we saw were near Sydney where we were visiting some wild kangaroos.  They would not only land on your face, but try to crawl into your nose and ears also.

Ray

• Like 6

1 hour ago, cat shepard said:

Congrats Aunt Denise & Uncle David! 🍾🥂 Thank you for sharing the pics. 

🌺Thank you sister!!! It is raining so much but she is a trouper! Once they get alittle bigger I am hoping to take a better picture! Sorry I haven’t read any of CC daily today trying to do a zoom with Shawn and all her friends at 5pm here and trying to get our home decorated and ready for champagne! I sent everyone a champagne to toast on zoom so we can celebrate!!!It should be fun.

Hug Bindi and I think of you and Joy!

Denise😊

• Like 9

2 hours ago, DeeniEncinitas said:

image.thumb.jpeg.9f8a1b75c084a68318fde56ed6b2688e.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.648e02b8fae102e6fdb7a8f2e4cefd94.jpeg

🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺

Sorry so late!!! We have a nice storm today bringing a lot of rain to our area.

I am doing baby hummingbird watch!!

Today is our Shawn’s Birthday and also the little baby hummingbirds hatched. Wish my phone  could do a better zoom !

worried about the rain. I have seen her fly away come back to feed them! They are like the size of little bees. So hope they survive this storm.

🌺All have a great day! 
Denise😊

Congratulations on the new babies! Happy Birthday Shawn! What a lovely day to celebrate! Love you sister!

• Like 6

58 minutes ago, USN59-79 said:

Ann - I think that is the funniest video I have ever seen.  Looks like after about a minute he (she) got it figured out.

Loved it. I can see our Golden doing something like that. And enjoying every minute of the attention.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, ger_77 said:

Good afternoon everyone!  @Cruising-alongthank you for helping with the pronunciation of the name, I appreciated that.  Looking at your photos however, the black fly looked more like the size of a bird coming at you!  Yikes!!

@mamaofamithat's frightening for you and your DH.  Our DS had something similar happen to him a couple of weeks ago, seeking medical attention immediately.  It turned out to be an aural migraine without headache; first he saw flashes of light, then lost the sight in one eye.  It gradually returned over the next couple of hours, and he hasn't had a recurrence since.  He's never suffered from migraines before (but I certainly have a history of them), so was quite taken aback when he received the diagnosis.  Hopefully it will be the same for your DH.  Please keep us posted; I'll keep you and him in my prayers, hoping for a positive outcome.

@cunnorlsending good healing vibes for your family members who have tested positive.  Hopefully you'll remain covid-free; I'm with the other members who have expressed their feelings of angst toward the uninvited funeral attendee.  I'm still shaking my head over that one.

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

I  have had ocular migraines but not recently.  Used to get one or two per year.  This is like looking through a kaleidoscope. And usually no headache or a very mild one. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Red Haired Lady said:

I  have had ocular migraines but not recently.  Used to get one or two per year.  This is like looking through a kaleidoscope. And usually no headache or a very mild one. 

I get them also. Just had one this morning. They don’t seem to have any relationship to anything in particular (like stress).  Am taking magnesium, as there is some evidence it decreases incidence. And I have been known to be Mg deficient ( via Mg RBC and serum RBC)..

The blinking emergency lights and fire alarm at work used to provoke them though.

I’ve likened the aura to an amoeba on a microscope with the way the light looks and moves as it grows- until my whole vision field is blinking.😝

Edited by TiogaCruiser
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

For the past several weeks I have been jealously reading all of your posts about getting the 1st and 2nd Covid jabs.  I wondered when I would get mine as Iowa seems to be very slow on the roll out.  Supposedly us "over 65's" have been eligible since Feb 1st.  I just got a call from the clinic here and I get mine tomorrow afternoon.  Whoo  Hoo!!!!   I am doing my happy dance.

• Like 21

Oh I just caught up in the daily, 3 pages worth. We had a wonderfully sunny and warm day today with almost no wind so we did Happy Hour on the driveway, socially distanced. So good for mental health. We all needed it.. 

• Like 12

5 hours ago, bennybear said:

Mine too!   I just ordered some new blue dishes, the old ones were getting tired and nearly twenty years of daily use.   They’re the ones from the pinnacle grill,  so at least I can feel I’m at sea!  

DA969283-F9C7-49F0-8780-EA655E50156A.jpeg

59F0C753-0A3D-4C0B-9FF2-CF4186DFB307.jpeg

I love Villroy and Bloch. They had an outlet in South Hampton, NY, and we used to go there whenever we were in the Hamptons.

• Like 8

@sailingdutchy,, was your 2012 cruise on the Mighty E the one where we dodged all the hurricanes?  I think it was 2012, but I haven’t checked my calendars.  Even though that cruise re-defined disruption, we had a wonderful time.  Prins Christian Sund was one of the most beautiful places we’ve ever seen, and we loved having 2 days in Halifax.  So, it seems we may have sailed together twice (Prinsendam 2019).

• Like 10

@bennybearyour comment about flying over Greenland reminded me of one of my first times, the pilot took us pretty low and told us “remember, Greenland isn’t green and Iceland isn’t ice.”

I too love grocery stores on my travels and for DH we do hardware stores too! Here is the sign on the door at a grocery in the Westman Islands in Iceland.

68F8B3B8-30CF-456F-9215-A18DA7BDFE49.jpeg

• Like 16

4 hours ago, ger_77 said:

Good afternoon everyone!  @Cruising-alongthank you for helping with the pronunciation of the name, I appreciated that.  Looking at your photos however, the black fly looked more like the size of a bird coming at you!  Yikes!!

@mamaofamithat's frightening for you and your DH.  Our DS had something similar happen to him a couple of weeks ago, seeking medical attention immediately.  It turned out to be an aural migraine without headache; first he saw flashes of light, then lost the sight in one eye.  It gradually returned over the next couple of hours, and he hasn't had a recurrence since.  He's never suffered from migraines before (but I certainly have a history of them), so was quite taken aback when he received the diagnosis.  Hopefully it will be the same for your DH.  Please keep us posted; I'll keep you and him in my prayers, hoping for a positive outcome.

@cunnorlsending good healing vibes for your family members who have tested positive.  Hopefully you'll remain covid-free; I'm with the other members who have expressed their feelings of angst toward the uninvited funeral attendee.  I'm still shaking my head over that one.

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

Gerry, aural means from the ears. What you are describing is an eye issue. Wonder why he called it aural?

• Like 3

2 hours ago, TiogaCruiser said:

Loved it. I can see our Golden doing something like that. And enjoying every minute of the attention.

But those people should not have been laughing at him!  How embarrassing for the handsome dog....😄

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

Thanks for all the daily reports, great to see all the Greenland photos, doubt that we will ever visit there

Everyday is appreciate caregivers day.

Had a lovely sunny morning, but now cloudy and cooling.

Keep well, stay safe everyone.

(We will be away for a few days, may not be able to get to the "Daily.")

• Like 11

2 hours ago, Red Haired Lady said:

For the past several weeks I have been jealously reading all of your posts about getting the 1st and 2nd Covid jabs.  I wondered when I would get mine as Iowa seems to be very slow on the roll out.  Supposedly us "over 65's" have been eligible since Feb 1st.  I just got a call from the clinic here and I get mine tomorrow afternoon.  Whoo  Hoo!!!!   I am doing my happy dance.

Woo hoo!

• Like 8

33 minutes ago, mamaofami said:

Gerry, aural means from the ears. What you are describing is an eye issue. Wonder why he called it aural?

it refers to the “aura” that one experiences; it is also called an ocular migraine. 

Smooth Sailing! 🙂🙂🙂
Gerry

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

27 minutes ago, erewhon said:

Thanks for all the daily reports, great to see all the Greenland photos, doubt that we will ever visit there

Everyday is appreciate caregivers day.

Had a lovely sunny morning, but now cloudy and cooling.

Keep well, stay safe everyone.

(We will be away for a few days, may not be able to get to the "Daily.")

Thank you for letting us know!

• Like 4