The Daily for Thursday Mar 04, 2021

richwmn

Good morning!

Thanks to all for the wonderful positive vibes here on the Daily.  I enjoy learning about different meals, drinks, wines and now ports!  In fact, DH and I are considering a cruise on Nieuw Statendam from Boston to New England, Canada, Iceland and Greenland - and yesterday's port is one stop. 

Thanks Roy for sharing your brother's obituary.  He was a very interesting man who served all.  My sincere condolences to you and family for his loss.

Hope everyone has a safe, comfortable day with only good things in their future. Enjoy!!

Laura

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Roy, after reading your brother's obituary I think I can understand why he was so independent and just kind of did what he wanted instead of listening to the doctors.  He was a man that was used to giving orders, not taking them.  Thank you for sharing this with us.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

Thank you Rich, Roy, the drinks and recipe ladies. 

I'll hug DH as a retired GI, I'll see if I can find some marching music while I walk this am, and I'm all for a Holy Experiment again today (and everyday).

I've only been to Japan once on business many years ago and thoroughly enjoyed the Cherry Blossom festival in both Tokyo and Hamamatsu.  Takamatsu looks further south east and very beautiful in the pics. 

Prayers to all who need them and best wishes to all.

• Like 16

Today's sunrise is from my off the wall 2017 combination (Koningsdam, Crystal Serenity, Iguazu by land, Zaandam, Carnival Inspiration, and Crystal Symphony).  On March 4 the Serenity had overnighted in Buenos Aires and left that evening:

dawn0304.jpg

Roy

• Like 24

Good Morning Everyone from an overcast and cool day at the beach.

I have never been to Japan, except in the airport on a layover to Singapore. Does that count?

Roy, what a wonderful obituary for your brother. It sounds like he was a very interesting man. The Cape Canaveral National Cemetery is a beautiful place. Very well cared for. My family volunteers there to remove the wreaths after Christmas. 

We received our results- I am negative, DS is positive. So as of right now there are 17 family members positive. Of the 4 that are negative, we were all  in various stages of the vaccine. So it works! We will continue to quarantine .  What a terrible legacy for my brother.

Stay safe and stay vigilant.

Charlene

• Like 19
  • Thanks 6

14 minutes ago, cunnorl said:

I have never been to Japan, except in the airport on a layover to Singapore. Does that count?

Roy, what a wonderful obituary for your brother. It sounds like he was a very interesting man. The Cape Canaveral National Cemetery is a beautiful place. Very well cared for. My family volunteers there to remove the wreaths after Christmas. 

We received our results- I am negative, DS is positive. So as of right now there are 17 family members positive. Of the 4 that are negative, we were all  in various stages of the vaccine. So it works! We will continue to quarantine .  What a terrible legacy for my brother.

Charlene

Thank you for your service.  Which vaccine did you get and how long ago?  It sounds like good news that all 4 of you were actually negative.  It has been demonstrated that the vaccine prevents serious illness but not necessarily infections.  I am very pleased that all 4 of you were actually negative and not just free of symptoms.

Roy

• Like 15

We haven't been on a cruise in Asia yet but they are on our bucket list.

I did have a few business trips to Japan for 3M. On one in 2008, I presented a technical paper on OLED display technology at a conference in Niigata. I had to take the Shinkansen from Tokyo to get there. Niigata is a port town facing the Sea of Japan and it seemed to be an important fishing port. There appeared to be a number of ferry routes, but no evidence of any cruise ship activity. The seafood (including sushi/sashimi) was amazing, especially a local fish that I cannot remember the name of!

DSC05564.thumb.JPG.dee92a6869c668baffe2d45f3d22306f.JPG809957281_DSC05550(2).thumb.JPG.74850fb8b12b81f45c267af787a24d78.JPGDSC05548.thumb.JPG.7c516f71fd6ef3875ba0758cec1631d8.JPGDSC05561.thumb.JPG.e02341b21293780f89b3d894d4afec2a.JPG

• Like 21

2 hours ago, rafinmd said:

Thanks for sharing it, Roy.

He was quite the accomplished man and will be missed, I know 😢 

Prayers for all of the Ferguson family and you 🙏🏻 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2

30 minutes ago, cunnorl said:

So glad to hear the negative results.

Agree with you on the sad legacy.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ger_77 said:

@kazu I saw this and thought of Marley . . .Dog Grooming Cartoons and Comics - funny pictures from CartoonStockSmooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

I think Marley is getting the “Bad Dog” 😉 😂. Especially after he fought me about getting in the car. 😉 

• Like 9
  • Haha 5

31 minutes ago, cunnorl said:

Charlene

I'm glad to hear you are negative, but still we have your DS positive along with 16 other family members.  It's mind boggling!  I'm so sorry that had to happen to you all.  

• Like 8

Good Morning and Thank You for the Daily! 😎

Just so happened that this morning my husband and I were discussing Japan!! 🛳️ We had an opportunity on the Volendam of visiting three cities in Japan but would 💗 to circumnavigate Japan in 2022.✏️

🙏 Prayers to all in need! 🙏 Have a good day everyone! 🙂

• Like 16

According to “cute-calendar.com” Holy Experiment Day is a day you can use to try something religious, like praying for snow in summer. The “Holy Experiment” William Penn dreamed of when he established Pennsylvania was that Quakers and other persecuted religious minorities could function as a community without persecution or dissension. The ideals of the Friends Society ultimately failed due to the threat of outward violence from French-backed indigenous people which resulted in the forming of a militia to combat that threat. The Quaker leaders were never able to find out if they could have overcome evil with good as the province became secularized.

If you want to try a holy experiment today, pray for tolerance and cooperation within your nation and among nations. That seems less likely to occur than snow in summer (which I have seen) and you would truly know that God had done the improbable.  

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Oh my goodness,  lots of prayers to those affected by the 7.3 earthquake in New Zealand!!

Hopefully @erewhon will not be affected too much.  It was pretty well off shore of the North Island but the potential for a tsunami while people are asleep is problematic.

Roy

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Good morning everyone. I used to walk to March music years ago when I did a lot of walking outside and on the treadmill. It was very upbeat . Don’t have an army GI to hug, but DH was in the Navy, so he’ll have to do.

DH had a carotid artery sonogram yesterday, is having anEKG as we speak, and will be having an MRA of his ear tomorrow in search of a diagnosis for why he temporarily lost vision in his eye yesterday and why he sometimes gets a ringing in his ear and becomes dizzy. They are thinking narrow blood vessels. 

Roy, thank you for sharing the obituary for your brother. He was quite an accomplished man and I know you will miss him.

If my nose biopsy comes back as a basal cell and I need mohs surgery, it’s quite a procedure here. One surgeon wants a consult first in case I need a plastic surgeon to close it, and no one will make an appointment until the results come back next week. A surgeon DH used in Philly who was excellent is book far out in April and it will be for May by the time I can get an appointment. Ditto for the one who wants a consult here. I guess mohs surgery is very common and there aren’t that many doctors doing it.

Stay safe everts.

Carol

• Like 13
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, richwmn said:

Were you on the Voyage of the Vikings on Rotterdam with me and @Cruising-along?

2 hours ago, Himself said:

No, I was not on that cruise.  Wish I had been.

Thank you Father, I was so sure it was you! @richwmnI stand corrected! Wish we could access the old roll call, I'm so curious now. 

• Like 6

2 hours ago, ger_77 said:

Of course, you had me at chocolate with the drink of the day!  An even easier version that we call the Chocolate Bunny is to tear, eat, or chop off the ears of a chocolate bunny, fill it with Bailey's, top with whipped cream and consume.

🙂🙂🙂🙂

Now there is a drink I could enjoy everyday.

Thank you Roy for sharing your brother's orbit. He was quite the man and I am sure that he is sorely missed.

Thank you Rich for continuing to post the Daily and for adding the Port of the Day. It is somewhat disappointing that no one here has been there to post photos.

The meal of the day and the wine both sound very good but tonight I will have left-over steak medallions from the Texas Roadhouse with Sutter Home White Zinfadel

Jane

Edited by lazey1
  • Like 14

Good morning all!

We're expecting a high of 59 F today (!) but 75% chance of rain...if it really doesn't start until 4 pm as predicted, I may be able to get out in the garden today.  It's the warmest day for awhile here.

Interesting collection of days.  I like @HAL4NOW's suggestion of praying for tolerance and cooperation within and among nations.  @ger_77you are a woman after my own heart, I ❤️ your idea of putting Bailey's in the ears of the chocolate bunny!  Now that sounds good!  The wine today also sounds good, a dry Riesling.  Will pass on the meal, I've had a lot of pasta lately and need to cut back.  Maybe the pork chop meal from yesterday. 🙂  I will hug my retired GI today. 🙂  We have never been to Japan, so can't help with the port today.  

@rafinmdthank you for posting your brother's obit.  What a lovely tribute and he sounds like he was an amazing person.

@cunnorlso glad your test came back negative, but sad that your DS's did not.  

Edited by Cruising-along
  • Like 15