Local Cruises

Ataraxia

2 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Thank you Jane that is nice of you.

Last year we went to our favourite Italian Restaurant in Newcastle with our Sarah.

This year it looks like the garden centre and the beach.

IMG_20200715_174146.jpg

Come on Graham where's the table cloth? Happy birthday Pauline!

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, mercury7289 said:

Wowzz, have received this via e-mail from the Department of Transport! 

20 minutes ago, mercury7289 said:

This needs to be played over the tannoy at the station! In the office!

Fair enough.

What does the "tannoy in the station" refer to?

8 hours ago, mercury7289 said:Cat among etc!

It is under step 3 that domestic cruises will be permitted to restart in England, step 3 will occur no earlier then 17th May

The resumption of cruise travel will commence at the same time as the re-opening of the indoor and hospitality sectors. Just like for indoor venues there will be a limit on passenger capacity,this will be 1000 people or 50% whichever is lower.

As per the Covid-19 Guidence, groups of more then 6 people or two households will not be allowed to mix indoors.

Received from the Department of Transport in reply to a few questions that I put to Robert Courts MP

Note the restart is England not GB

1000 People will be less when staff numbers are considered

Group of 6 must be of concern.

This needs to be played over the tannoy at the station! In the office!

Still think it will be July before any cruises embark and if the numbers in India continue to rise then crewing the ships maybe an issue. 

10 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Thank you Jane that is nice of you.

Last year we went to our favourite Italian Restaurant in Newcastle with our Sarah.

This year it looks like the garden centre and the beach.

IMG_20200715_174146.jpg

What a lovely picture. I would love to look as glamorous as her now let alone when I’m 70 😂 she looks amazing! 

• Thanks 1

My eldest daughter was 23 when she cruised on Britannia and she loved it, raved about it when she got home. She went on recommendation of her cousin who was around the same age when he did the same cruise. Neither of them were with older relatives, just their partners.

We all enjoy different things however old we are.

• Like 8

10 hours ago, wowzz said:

I said the same as you, so I think you are being picked on

For the life of me, I cannot understand why any 23 year old would cruise with P&O,  unless they had relatives on board.  I mean, you are only young once, and when you are young, you don't want to be on P&O.  

At 23 we were clubbing in.

San Antonio Ibiza.

Plays de last America's Tenerife.

Etc Etc.

Didn't start cruising until I was 46 and Pauline 41.

Graham.

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

San Antonio Ibiza.

Etc Etc.

Didn't start cruising until I was 46 and Paw 41.

It's OK for you youngsters, at 23 we were too poor to holiday abroad, and had to make do with visits to relatives for our vacations.😒

1 hour ago, crazy cat lady 83 said:

What a lovely picture. I would love to look as glamorous as her now let alone when I’m 70 😂 she looks amazing! 

Thanks.

That was Pauline's birthday meal last year.

Pauline is 59 today and Sarah is 40.

Edited by grapau27

21 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Thanks.

21 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Thanks.

Oh my goodness! I’m so sorry! I’m 37 and I wish I looked as lovely as her. I spend my days looking completely frazzled. It makes me think even though we are not doing anything I should be putting a bit more effort in and adding a bit of lippy x

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

San Antonio Ibiza.

Plays de last America's Tenerife.u

Etc Etc.

Graham.

Started cruising at 60, before that almost all our holidays were independent travels at home and worldwide.

• Like 1

Good morning all.

Having had a Cunard cancelled this week, and the resulting disappointment from my girls who I was taking, I went on to the Cunard website to see if there was any news about the UK waters trips. My FCC only showed half the amount it should be so I phoned Cunard. This is how it went:

Me: Can you look at my account to see what total FCC you have showing for me?

Him: There's no point because total FCC won't show until the end of next week because we're so busy.

Fair enough.

Me: Will the UK Waters cruises be offered to pre-register for those who've had cruises cancelled?

Him: That's above my pay grade. Don't know.

Me: Ok,  any idea which ships will be going those cruises as I've read it's QE only?

Him: Then you know more than me. Also above my pay grade. Don't know.

Me: Finally, any idea when they will be announced?

Him: No.

So, all I can deduce from that conversation, which was like pulling teeth, slowly and without anaesthetic, is...........don't know!

I await further news from Cunard but in the meanwhile have any of you guys received any info from P&O about pre- registration?

Thanks all. Best wishes. Jane.x

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Beckett said:

Good morning all.

Having had a Cunard cancelled this week, and the resulting disappointment from my girls who I was taking, I went on to the Cunard website to see if there was any news about the UK waters trips. My FCC only showed half the amount it should be so I phoned Cunard. This is how it went:

Him: There's no point because total FCC won't show until the end of next week because we're so busy.

Fair enough.

Me: Will the UK Waters cruises be offered to pre-register for those who've had cruises cancelled?

Me: Ok,  any idea which ships will be going those cruises as I've read it's QE only?

So, all I can deduce from that conversation, which was like pulling teeth, slowly and without anaesthetic, is...........don't know!

I await further news from Cunard but in the meanwhile have any of you guys received any info from P&O about pre- registration?

Isn't it nice when you get put through to someone with a " Can Do Approach " :classic_wacko:

Better luck next time Jane ! 

You should have asked him  "Have you ever worked for Osram light bulb company ? "

As not being very bright he would have fitted in nicely in the Dimmer Switch Dept :classic_rolleyes:

Providing he does not apply to be a NHS jabber .:classic_ohmy:

You take care and keep on jabbing ! :classic_love:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, grapau27 said:

San Antonio Ibiza.

Etc Etc.

Graham.

I was also 41 when we started cruising and my husband (his name is Paul, by the way) was 49.

At first, I was definitely  one of the younger passengers on board, and even recently I’ve felt at the younger end of the age spectrum, even though I’m 61 on Monday.  But we have been going on the longer cruises which tend to attract more  .... er..... mature passengers 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

I was also 41 when we started cruising and my husband (his name is Paul, by the way) was 49.

At first, I was definitely  one of the younger passengers on board, and even recently I’ve felt at the younger end of the age spectrum, even though I’m 61 on Monday.  But we have been going on the longer cruises which tend to attract more  .... er..... mature passengers 

Similar for us, I was early 40s and Carol was mid 30s, lots of people used to say "its nice to see young people cruising" like you we now do the longer cruises and feel at the young end at 64 and 57. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Beckett said:

He definitely belongs in the Dim and Dimmer section Kalos; and I don't think "can" and "do" are 2 words, that beyond his wildest imaginings, could ever be put together.

As for the jabbing - I've given up. To my shame I have, embarrasingly,  had a mini, but very polite, breakdown. I think that working full-time as PM, and doing weekends at the hub, came crashing down on me. I thought I could do it all but it seems I can't. I'm taking a couple of weeks off and will use that time for reflection. I'm 66 in August and could officially retire then. Not sure if that's what I want so some thinking time is necessary. Before the pandemic I used to do voluntary work at our local hospice so I may explore the possibility of part-time work and a couple of voluntary sessions back there. As you well know Kalos, health is all, so I think it's time for some serious thinking

Oh God, another long, boring, and introspective post from me. I'll have you all running for therapy when you read this.

You and Mrs Kalso look after yourselves and keep well. Best wishes. Jane.x 

Hi Jane hope you’re ok? And absolutely agree that  as you get older health has to be our priority now so please look after yourself and do what’s right for you. 2019 we decided to retire and enjoy ourselves but the pandemic hit then I had my fourth cancer diagnosis in  the last ten years so you never really know what life has in store for us, do what’s right for you, and thanks for your amazing work within the NHS. Lindy

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Beckett said:

He definitely belongs in the Dim and Dimmer section Kalos; and I don't think "can" and "do" are 2 words, that beyond his wildest imaginings, could ever be put together.

As for the jabbing - I've given up. To my shame I have, embarrasingly,  had a mini, but very polite, breakdown. I think that working full-time as PM, and doing weekends at the hub, came crashing down on me. I thought I could do it all but it seems I can't. I'm taking a couple of weeks off and will use that time for reflection. I'm 66 in August and could officially retire then. Not sure if that's what I want so some thinking time is necessary. Before the pandemic I used to do voluntary work at our local hospice so I may explore the possibility of part-time work and a couple of voluntary sessions back there. As you well know Kalos, health is all, so I think it's time for some serious thinking

Oh God, another long, boring, and introspective post from me. I'll have you all running for therapy when you read this.

You and Mrs Kalso look after yourselves and keep well. Best wishes. Jane.x 

Sorry to hear you are having a hard time Jane, it is good you can get it off your chest here especially as a lot of us are similar ages and in the same boat (if only😁). Covid has taken its toll and will make a lot of people think and do things differently. I can vouch for retirement, we have just started our fourth year and love it, albeit mrs YP said I wouldn't last 3 months. It is surprising how you can fill the day and do things at a leisurely pace. Not waking up at 2 in the morning and mulling over work problems, not getting up at silly o'clock and shovelling snow off the drive, trying to squeeze your social life into 2 days to name but a few issues. There is always plenty of voluntary work which is very rewarding and not as tying. Whatever you choose I wish you the best of luck.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, grapau27 said:

San Antonio Ibiza.

Etc Etc.

Graham.

We began holidaying abroad when the children were off on their own. From the late 1980's  until 2010 we spent our holidays exploring SE Asia. Even into our late 50's early 60's we were still clambering into caves, and through rainforests. The last visit was to the orangutans in Borneo. Frank was 65 and I was 63 when we started cruising and loving every minute.

Avril

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Beckett said:

Good morning all.

Fair enough.

Did he actually say ‘above my pay grade’? That’s appalling! You expect better customer service from Cunard!

If I spoke to my customers at the bank like that I would have got a rollicking! 

5 minutes ago, P&O SUE said:

Did he actually say ‘above my pay grade’? That’s appalling! You expect better customer service from Cunard!

If I spoke to my customers at the bank like that I would have got a rollicking! 

He did Sue. His actual words were " that's above my pay grade - about ten floors above". I guess that if these guys and girls are all working from home, no-one will hear what they say. At least he was honest! J.x

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, lindylooellalouise said:

Hi Jane hope you’re ok? And absolutely agree that  as you get older health has to be our priority now so please look after yourself and do what’s right for you. 2019 we decided to retire and enjoy ourselves but the pandemic hit then I had my fourth cancer diagnosis in  the last ten years so you never really know what life has in store for us, do what’s right for you, and thanks for your amazing work within the NHS. Lindy

Thank you so much Lindy. Jane.x

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

Sorry to hear you are having a hard time Jane, it is good you can get it off your chest here especially as a lot of us are similar ages and in the same boat (if only😁). Covid has taken its toll and will make a lot of people think and do things differently. I can vouch for retirement, we have just started our fourth year and love it, albeit mrs YP said I wouldn't last 3 months. It is surprising how you can fill the day and do things at a leisurely pace. Not waking up at 2 in the morning and mulling over work problems, not getting up at silly o'clock and shovelling snow off the drive, trying to squeeze your social life into 2 days to name but a few issues. There is always plenty of voluntary work which is very rewarding and not as tying. Whatever you choose I wish you the best of luck.

You got it spot on with the waking up at 2am Phil - that's me in a nutshell. Thanks for your valued advice. Jane.x

• Like 1