The Daily for Wednesday Mar 10, 2021

richwmn

5 hours ago, superoma said:

Celebrating my pathology report from my lumpectomy. Both lymph nodes were cancer free and there was a clear margin on the lumpectomy. Just waiting for the cancer clinic appointment to talk about radiation. Apparently the protocol in Canada is always do radiation after lumpectomy regardless of clear margins. Anyway, thrilled with the report.

Such great news!!

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Cruising-along said:

My middle name is Anne (with an "e" as my Mother always pointed out lol).  I have no idea why that was so important to her, maybe because Princess Anne was born around the same time I was?  🤷‍♀️

We named our daughter Gayle Anne and I did it on purpose because her first name ended with an “e”.  I always think of Anne of Green Gables, Anne with an e. 

• Like 8

1 hour ago, XBGuy said:

Here is a bagpipe trivia question.  In how many keys can a bagpipe be played?

Since a B flat bagpipe can play any note, they can actually play in any key they choose, just like an E flat saxophone or a B flat trumpet or clarinet can play in any key.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

21 minutes ago, HAL4NOW said:

Since a B flat bagpipe can play any note, they can actually play in any key they choose, just like an E flat saxophone or a B flat trumpet or clarinet can play in any key.

👍  I yield to your superior knowledge.   🙂

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, bennybear said:

I have to share wonderful news!   Got our shots this afternoon,  I didn’t want to jinx it until it was all done.   Felt like I won the lottery!   

I'm delighted for you; it's good to know someone in our country is actually getting vaccinated!  It seems our province is rolling out the new booking system tomorrow, but it's for those age 85+, so it means we still have a while to wait . . . 

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, superoma said:

Good morning all. My split pea soup is in the slow cooker as I type! Doing a driveway Happy Hour this afternoon and didn’t want to worry about making dinner. Celebrating my pathology report from my lumpectomy. Both lymph nodes were cancer free and there was a clear margin on the lumpectomy. Just waiting for the cancer clinic appointment to talk about radiation. Apparently the protocol in Canada is always do radiation after lumpectomy regardless of clear margins. Anyway, thrilled with the report.

Middle names - I mentioned mine was Margareta after my paternal grandmother. My poor sister born a year after me didn’t get a middle name. Her husband uses his middle name because his first name is Elmer. I don’t think I would use it either- no disrespect to people named Elmer intended!

looking forward to a warm afternoon-70F forecast!

I had a lumpectomy with clear margins and did what was called the Canadian procedure for radiation which was 3 weeks and a day. That was 5 years ago. Congrats on the report.

• Like 13

6 hours ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Hi Carol, as I write we are in surgery room. Allen had his 1st procedure and we're waiting on the lab results. I am able to be in the surgery room with him because of Covid they don't want the patient traveling back and forth to the private waiting room. This was Allen's 3rd MOHS surgery so we know the drill..

I hope his procedure went well. I had my consult and was surprised to hear the surgeon wants to let the wound heal with no stitches. That sounds fine to me. No date till I hear tomorrow. Probably not till April. This will be the third time for my poor nose. No more sun for me.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Vict0riann said:

Good morning, all,  interesting information and lots of posts to read!

Victor posted on my philatelic board that his wife had passed away.  He said he will miss her terribly, her laughter and her grumbling.  RIP, Pavlinka Dimitrova Afanasieva.

So very sorry to hear this. It's never easy when the answer to prayer is no.

• Like 6

24 minutes ago, bennybear said:

I have to share wonderful news!   Got our shots this afternoon,  I didn’t want to jinx it until it was all done.   Felt like I won the lottery!   

Congratulations.  Which vaccine?

Roy

• Like 7

13 minutes ago, VintageGeo said:

So very sorry to hear this. It's never easy when the answer to prayer is no.

Someone told me once that the answer wasn't "no", but "I have something better." I find that comforting. 

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, mamaofami said:

I had a lumpectomy with clear margins and did what was called the Canadian procedure for radiation which was 3 weeks and a day. That was 5 years ago. Congrats on the report.

Thank you for that information!

• Like 8

1 hour ago, ger_77 said:

I'm delighted for you; it's good to know someone in our country is actually getting vaccinated!  It seems our province is rolling out the new booking system tomorrow, but it's for those age 85+, so it means we still have a while to wait . . . 

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

We have been doing plus 75,  next week over 65 is eligible but unbelievable luck that we were told some pharmacies had extra vaccine appointments so we called yesterday and got an appointment today.  I actually couldn’t believe it,  was so excited when I really got the shot!  

@rafinmd it was Pfizer,  so my doctor and I are pleased.  

Edited by bennybear
  • Like 16

@bennybearGlad to hear you received your first dose today.My 91 yr old DM has an  appointment on Saturday for her first dose.

DH was not given a middle name at birth but uses his confirmation name as his middle name.

My late DF as well as my sister were always called by their middle names. My brothers and I were all called by our first names-go figure. My eldest brother's middle name is my DM's maiden name. I think this might be a British tradition.

We have been to Rouen as part of a Seine river cruise.   Lovely city. Our photos are similar to those already posted of the clock, the timbered buildings  and the wonderful  Gothic Cathedral.

Agree with @KirkNCthat the evening light show projected on the facade of the cathedral  is fabulous and a must see.

Across the square from the Joan of Arc church is a restaurant where Julia Child had her first taste of french cuisine which inspired her to incorporate french cuisine in her own cooking. The restaurant, La Couronne is still in operation and is a Michelin restaurant.

Love pea soup but will wait to cook some with the ham from our Easter dinner.

As it is warm here today, it's burgers on the BBQ.

Edited by Cruisepucks
  • Like 17

1 hour ago, Tbay said:

Happy that DS, a first responder, got his first shot. Second shot booked for  mid June!

A cousin's DH was once a Dentist in Brockville.  He was originally from Montreal and needed to get out of Quebec, first to Iroquois and then to Brockville before retiring to British Columbia.  Sadly, both the cousin and the Dentist are both deceased now.  I've enjoyed walking the tunnel several times.

Roy

Edited by rafinmd
  • Like 8

1 hour ago, mamaofami said:

I hope his procedure went well. I had my consult and was surprised to hear the surgeon wants to let the wound heal with no stitches. That sounds fine to me. No date till I hear tomorrow. Probably not till April. This will be the third time for my poor nose. No more sun for me.

Wow. Allen had 12 under stitches and 9 staples on top. 

• Like 9

Good afternoon, all! I’m really late to the party today. We were up early and out for the day.

I love split pea soup, but it’s not on the menu for today.

A Middle Name Pride Day story from my family history: 

My mother had an Rh negative blood factor that claimed the lives of her 3rd and 4th babies. When she discovered she was expecting again, which she had been told couldn't happen, the doctors intervened. They induced labour over a month early in a Hail Mary intervention. The baby was delivered, but was not expected to last the night. The maternity nurse on duty was a devout French Canadian Catholic who tended the dying baby in the hospital nursery through the night. Knowing she would not see the baby she had fought so hard for again, and wanting the child’s soul to be with God, she baptized her with the name Marie before leaving at the end of her shift.
When the nurse came on duty the next evening, she was thrilled that the baby was alive and improving. However, she was horrified that the bracelet on her wrist said ‘Marie Sargent’. She told my parents what had happened, and apologized profusely. My parents were deeply moved, and kept the name. Their GP told them that based on the blood results, the newborn was barely hanging on and wouldn’t survive the week. At the end of the week, he warned them that the baby would not survive the first year. After a year, he cautioned them that their fragile toddler would not live to beyond six at the oldest. 

Sixty two years later, I have survived the doctor who so firmly predicted my demise by several decades. The name I was registered under was Laura Marie in appreciation of the maternity nurse who kept me alive that first night to go on and prove the doctors wrong.

With that, Happy Wednesday, and may we all be at sea again before we know it!

94D9674F-171D-48C0-8082-F30047F5FE39.thumb.jpeg.bddcc861ce20d81ee9c2645ec65785af.jpeg

Edited by Horizon chaser 1957
  • Like 24
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

Sixty two years later, I have survived the doctor who so firmly predicted my demise by several decades. The name I was registered under was Laura Marie in appreciation of the maternity nurse who kept me alive that first night to go on and prove the doctors wrong

Wow!  This brought tears to my eyes.  Thank you for sharing this beautiful, moving story. 

• Like 9

37 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Wow. Allen had 12 under stitches and 9 staples on top. 

🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺

Hi Joy!!Was with you in spirit!! Just came home and had to get on CC quickly! Allen and I are tied with the same amount of stitches !!! Glad they were able to do only one MOHS and got it all!! Now tonight relax and enjoy  that it is over and Allen is good! I am happy for both of you!!

Want to give a heads up on the hummingbirds. Mama only has one baby now. Her other egg never opened ! So we watch her feed and it is so cute. Still way too small to take a pic yet! Hope your patio is doing well! Look forward to pictures later!! 
I am tired today and today was very busy with vaccines. Tomorrow will be the last day again where I will be finished.

I will try to get on early am tomorrow to check out CC! Miss all but feel good that 

I am helping get San Diagans vaccinated!

Denise ❤️

• Like 18

12 minutes ago, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

Good afternoon, all! I’m really late to the party today. We were up early and out for the day.

I love split pea soup, but it’s not on the menu for today.

A Middle Name Pride Day story from my family history: 

My mother had an Rh negative blood factor that claimed the lives of her 3rd and 4th babies. When she discovered she was expecting again, which she had been told couldn't happen, the doctors intervened. They induced labour over a month early in a Hail Mary intervention. The baby was delivered, but was not expected to last the night. The maternity nurse on duty was a devout French Canadian Catholic who tended the dying baby in the hospital nursery through the night. Knowing she would not see the baby she had fought so hard for again, and wanting the child’s soul to be with God, she baptized her with the name Marie before leaving at the end of her shift.
When the nurse came on duty the next evening, she was thrilled that the baby was alive and improving. However, she was horrified that the bracelet on her wrist said ‘Marie Sargent’. She told my parents what had happened, and apologized profusely. My parents were deeply moved, and kept the name. Their GP told them that based on the blood results, the newborn was barely hanging on and wouldn’t survive the week. At the end of the week, he warned them that the baby would not survive the first year. After a year, he cautioned them that their fragile toddler would not live to beyond six at the oldest. 

Sixty two years later, I have survived the doctor who so firmly predicted my demise by several decades. The name I was registered under was Laura Marie in appreciation of the maternity nurse who kept me alive that first night to go on and prove the doctors wrong.

With that, Happy Wednesday, and may we all be at sea again before we know it!

94D9674F-171D-48C0-8082-F30047F5FE39.thumb.jpeg.bddcc861ce20d81ee9c2645ec65785af.jpeg

Laura, I am so happy Marie gave you the chance you needed. And that you proved that idiot of a doctor wrong!

Thank you for sharing.

• Like 9