UK staycation cruise details launched

Adam Coulter

I love all this 'road map' gobbledegook, and all the other buzzwords and phrases, such as 'getting vaccine into arms' and 'putting a protective arm around people'.

When were road maps last in use for goodness sake?  And when did you last hear a medic talk about getting vaccine into your arm?

Anyone else remember those games of Buzzword Bingo at conferences?  😉 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

I love all this 'road map' gobbledegook, and all the other buzzwords and phrases, such as 'getting vaccine into arms' and 'putting a protective arm around people'.

When were road maps last in use for goodness sake?  And when did you last hear a medic talk about getting vaccine into your arm?

House

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

I think a lot of this is part of ' Ramping it up '.🤣

3 hours ago, cruisenewbie1976 said:

Presumably no planes will be going anywhere either then as, under your interpretation, that'd be a gathering too. Nor will audiences be allowed for sports or music events, despite being allowed on the road map from May. Nor theatres, cinemas, theme parks, bowling alleys, restaurants. In fact, pretty much everything will have to stay closed until June. 

I make no such claims,however I am able to read!

Edited by mercury7289

17 minutes ago, cruisenewbie1976 said:

That’s encouraging. Thanks for posting. I guess that the dilemma that P&O (and others) will have is whether to plan for the UK cruises to commence on 17th May, given that the government has consistently said that the roadmap dates are the earliest possible, rather than confirmed, dates. We are obviously all hoping that there won’t be any slippage, in our case because we have a UK holiday (not cruise) booked from 21st May and we want the pubs and restaurants to be open!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

That’s encouraging. Thanks for posting. I guess that the dilemma that P&O (and others) will have is whether to plan for the UK cruises to commence on 17th May, given that the government has consistently said that the roadmap dates are the earliest possible, rather than confirmed, dates. We are obviously all hoping that there won’t be any slippage, in our case because we have a UK holiday (not cruise) booked from 21st May and we want the pubs and restaurants to be open!

This is the problem - it was supposed to have been about the data, but it has become about the dates 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dermotsgirl said:

This is the problem - it was supposed to have been about the data, but it has become about the dates 

I quite like dates although figs are my favourite, in fact I used to love the Kadoma figs for breakfast when cruising.

But seriously DG, if Boris had not attached dates to the roadmap, he would have been attacked by many, now that he has he is also coming under fire. 

Personally I think he has handled media questions about this very well, he refuses to be drawn on questions as to whether it can come forward or be delayed, and I guess will only answer them if or when there is a need to change them.

• Like 3

International travel restart date to be later then 17th May say's Minister Robert Courts.

He further said: Were said there won't be any travel before the 17th May, and we will look as soon after that as we can, but it really isn't something I can give more detail on at the moment I'm afraid.

Report from the Independent! 

8 minutes ago, mercury7289 said:

International travel restart date to be later then 17th May say's Minister Robert Courts.

He further said: Were said there won't be any travel before the 17th May, and we will look as soon after that as we can, but it really isn't something I can give more detail on at the moment I'm afraid.

Report from the Independent! 

You mean the one I've posted above and the one that says on 17th May (subject to the data etc etc). 

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

Personally I think he has handled media questions about this very well, he refuses to be drawn on questions as to whether it can come forward or be delayed, and I guess will only answer them if or when there is a need to change them.

I agree that there needed to be dates, as we were all going demented wondering ‘will it ever end’, and he has been consistent in saying that they are the earliest dates and not confirmed. However, I think he has firmly ruled out the possibility of the dates coming forward on the basis that they need 5 weeks between each ‘change’ to have time to assess the impact before agreeing to ‘firm up’ the next phase. He hasn’t said this as often, due to the pressure from backbenchers in his own party who are pushing for earlier dates, but I’m pretty sure he has been firm about that.

I’m glad that they are saying that they expect infection rates to rise as a result following each release date, but that this, in itself, isn’t a concern and delays to the roadmap will only happen if hospitalisation rates rise. That makes sense if those getting infected are the younger, as yet unvaccinated, population who will mostly get mild, or even no, symptoms and help achieve the much derided, but essential, herd immunity. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, cruisenewbie1976 said:

You mean the one I've posted above and the one that says on 17th May (subject to the data etc etc). 

Don't forget your link is for domestic travel not international travel.  Domestic cruises on 17th.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, cruisenewbie1976 said:

If you could link to the report from The Independent, that would be helpful. 

Go into your report, click on the Ministers name and listen to his response to a question put by Ben Bradshaw,seems to be back tracking!

Message from P&O

A message from P&O Cruises president, Paul Ludlow
"We are delighted that the Government has acknowledged that UK domestic cruise holidays can begin from May 17.
Whilst it will take some weeks after this date for us to restart our operations we are very much looking forward to welcoming guests on board this summer for our series of Ultimate Escape staycations - UK coastal cruises. Details of these, with ships, dates and itineraries will be announced later this month."
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, jaydee6969 said:

Message from P&O

A message from P&O Cruises president, Paul Ludlow
"We are delighted that the Government has acknowledged that UK domestic cruise holidays can begin from May 17.
Whilst it will take some weeks after this date for us to restart our operations we are very much looking forward to welcoming guests on board this summer for our series of Ultimate Escape staycations - UK coastal cruises. Details of these, with ships, dates and itineraries will be announced later this month."

So probably July at the earliest? Interestingly, Princess seem to have suggested "late Summer", although that was before any nod from the Government. Late Summer would be August I guess. Will be interesting to see the 'itineraries' when released. Although I would be up for trying out Britannia, Regal or Sky Princess, as a solo traveller I wouldn't be keen to be on a ship in the school holidays.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Britboys said:

So probably July at the earliest? Interestingly, Princess seem to have suggested "late Summer", although that was before any nod from the Government. Late Summer would be August I guess. Will be interesting to see the 'itineraries' when released. Although I would be up for trying out Britannia, Regal or Sky Princess, as a solo traveller I wouldn't be keen to be on a ship in the school holidays.

Nor would I - and I'm going on one!  Just for your info, in my area the kids break up on 25th July and go back on 3rd September so plenty of weeks to avoid.  Jane.x

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Beckett said:

Nor would I - and I'm going on one!  Just for your info, in my area the kids break up on 25th July and go back on 3rd September so plenty of weeks to avoid.  Jane.x

Thanks for the info Jane! Just depends now on what length of time they operate these domestic cruises. If I do one, I'd really like to use it to see a ship I am probably unlikely to do a full cruise on but if it came to it, I suppose I could go on Arcadia as she has had several significant refits since I last sailed on her.

17 minutes ago, Britboys said:

Late Summer would be August I guess. Will be interesting to see the 'itineraries' when released. Although I would be up for trying out Britannia, Regal or Sky Princess, as a solo traveller I wouldn't be keen to be on a ship in the school holidays.

Looked at the 'Round Britain cruises' but decided to give them a miss. Bitterly disappointed when P & O cancelled this August's J112,  23-nighter, Soton/Iceland/Norway.

Have you been on Princess ships before? we haven't so we plumped for Sky and Island Princess next year, both out of Southampton - to fill the Norway/Iceland gap 

On 3/6/2021 at 11:32 PM, Selbourne said:

As is evidenced by this forum, there are a lot of traditional cruisers who are so keen to get back on a cruise ship ASAP that the lack of a proper itinerary, risk of poor weather etc won’t be any deterrent whatsoever.

I didn't realise we had met 😂

Very much looking forward to the release of the itineraries, personally my preference would be for Princess, but DW is keen on Iona so we'll see. I'm hoping for 7 nights since B2B aren't a possibility - living in Southampton doing a number of the shorter cruises would also be fine, but if I have to get a PCR test at £150 per time that's a bit more of a hassle. If vaccines are mandated I'm out entirely, I'm quite rightly a long way down the priority list so I won't be fully done until much later in the year.

Staycations that include three meals a day and unlimited bar service are prohibitively expensive so as long as the pricing is sensible we'll try and get a couple of these 'scenic cruising' trips in over the summer. I'm usually of the opinion I'd rather cruise more often in an inside than pay the extra for a balcony, but C19 might stretch what I'm willing to shell out. I expect that will be a common view and the delta between stateroom categories will be larger, but time will tell on that one.

1 hour ago, Bertie Doe said:

Looked at the 'Round Britain cruises' but decided to give them a miss. Bitterly disappointed when P & O cancelled this August's J112,  23-nighter, Soton/Iceland/Norway.

Have you been on Princess ships before? we haven't so we plumped for Sky and Island Princess next year, both out of Southampton - to fill the Norway/Iceland gap 

I've only been on two Princess ships - Sea Princess (which subsequently became P&O's first Adonia) some 20 years ago and then Coral Princess 2 years ago this Summer in Alaska. In general, I think Princess is a higher quality than P&O, especially food and entertainment. Generally however I don't like large ships and more specifically the lack of a Promenade and a Crows Nest style bar is an issue for me. A 3 or 4 night cruise would be fine though just to see and experience a new ship. The fact that my P&O cruise history gives me Elite loyalty status with Princess is also good!

I loved Coral Princess but might find Island a disappointment as in her last major refit Princess replaced the (two-storey) Universe Lounge with additional cabins and a new gym area, using the old gym area for even more cabins. That's a big entertainment space to lose, especially when the shows devised for that space were so good.

Edited by Britboys

41 minutes ago, Britboys said:

I've only been on two Princess ships - Sea Princess (which subsequently became P&O's first Adonia) some 20 years ago and then Coral Princess 2 years ago this Summer in Alaska. In general, I think Princess is a higher quality than P&O, especially food and entertainment. Generally however I don't like large ships and more specifically the lack of a Promenade and a Crows Nest style bar is an issue for me. A 3 or 4 night cruise would be fine though just to see and experience a new ship. The fact that my P&O cruise history gives me Elite loyalty status with Princess is also good!

I loved Coral Princess but might find Island a disappointment as in her last major refit Princess replaced the (two-storey) Universe Lounge with additional cabins and a new gym area, using the old gym area for even more cabins. That's a big entertainment space to lose, especially when the shows devised for that space were so good.

I've yet to go on Sky Princess, but having seen various photos,  anyone going on Island Princess after Sky, is going to be very disappointed!