UK staycation cruise details launched

Adam Coulter

10 hours ago, wowzz said:

That might be the case with P&O,  but not Princess.

We have been looking at cruises for next summer. P&O, Celebrity, RC, NCL and thanks to your recommendation, Princess. We looked at ship, price,date , itinerary. Until now it didn't enter my head to consider who the directors were.

2 hours ago, Eddie99 said:

From the Sky News website - “Live News” page.  Timeline 9.05

Cruise ships moored around England could soon be given the green light to start sailing domestically again, under government plans.

The Foreign Office has revealed that domestic cruises will not fall under the remit of foreign travel, and could restart from 17 May at the earliest.

That date is also the earliest at which international travel can resume - but cruise ships around the world may not be ready, or allowed, to take passengers on that date.

A Department for Transport spokesperson said: "The restart of domestic cruises in England will be aligned with the wider resumption of the domestic tourism and indoor hospitality sectors. As set out in the Prime Minister’s roadmap, the earliest possible date for this step is 17 May.

"We are committed to restarting cruise travel when it is safe to do so, and we are working closely with the sector to prepare for a safe and successful restart."

P&O Cruises president Paul Ludlow said: "We are delighted that the government has acknowledged that UK domestic cruise holidays can begin from 17 May.

"While it will take some weeks after this date for us to restart our operations, we are very much looking forward to welcoming guests on board this summer".

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-56336787

• Like 1

I see that Cunard have now announced cancellations up to late August (QV), mid-October (QE) and as far ahead as November for QM2. They have also announced their intention to run some new "UK staycation voyages" - but only on Queen Elizabeth.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Britboys said:

I see that Cunard have now announced cancellations up to late August (QV), mid-October (QE) and as far ahead as November for QM2. They have also announced their intention to run some new "UK staycation voyages" - but only on Queen Elizabeth.

I was due to go on QV on 1st October, and this announcement makes me very happy that I have already rescheduled until May 2022.

I wouldn't have wanted to be on the first 'real' cruises. 

I rang Fred this morning to ask about our July cruise as balance will be due on it soon.  I was told thye are looking into those cruises and that a statement will be made in 7 to 10 days, so we will know what is to happen before our balance needs to be paid.

She also said how they have now been given the go ahead - presumably meaning whatever is done will be taking account of that, so perhaps short UK cruises to be put on as others cancelled.

Just now, philsuarez said:

Here in UK the resumption date is 17/05/21 although Princess are saying it will be weeks after this due to repositioning and getting crew onboard. You'd think they have enough notice now to be ready for late May?

Princess have said since the original announcement it’s going to be late summer before they are sailing 

13 minutes ago, philsuarez said:

Here in UK the resumption date is 17/05/21 although Princess are saying it will be weeks after this due to repositioning and getting crew onboard. You'd think they have enough notice now to be ready for late May?

It’s worth keeping in mind that 17th May isn’t a firm date. It’s the earliest possible date. I guess that there’s a risk in planning cruises to depart bang on that date, just in case the roadmap dates slip for any reason. Also, it’s been widely reported that it takes 3 months lead-in time to be able to get the ships ready for cruises, so with those two factors combined I can see why cruises may not start until end May earliest and possibly later. 

• Like 2

Was talking to my son last night on Skype he runs a project team that has individuals based across the world with software developers in India, they have told him that cases are rising in the last week or so and it is expected that a number of areas will go back into lockdown which will prevent travel, outside of area. 

This could affect P&Os recruitment plans.

https://www.hindustantimes.com/india-news/4-charts-that-show-india-s-second-wave-has-started-101615502032933.html

4 minutes ago, Snow Hill said:

Was talking to my son last night on Skype he runs a project team that has individuals based across the world with software developers in India, they have told him that cases are rising in the last week or so and it is expected that a number of areas will go back into lockdown which will prevent travel, outside of area. 

This could affect P&Os recruitment plans.

https://www.hindustantimes.com/india-news/4-charts-that-show-india-s-second-wave-has-started-101615502032933.html

It looks like there's a bit of resurgence in some parts of Europe as well.  Won't be over till the fat lady sings....

....Or the ending gets re-written.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

I received an email this morning from P&O to watch out next week for information on the coastal cruises.

Graham.

Yup, just got mine also. Doesn't tell you much other than "You can soon be back where you belong : sitting on deck, sipping something cool ..."

Could this refer to the coffee in the buffet ? or it may be Costa, I always get the two mixed up 😍  

be back where you belong: sitting
on deck, sipping something cool and watching the sparkling sea below

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

I received an email this morning from P&O to watch out next week for information on the coastal cruises.

Graham.

I'm registered with P&O with contact preferences for email and post (just checked again) but I don't seem to get the emails or anything through the post recently. Get loads (2 a day) from the TA that we have used sometimes!!

3 minutes ago, Splice the mainbrace said:

I'm registered with P&O with contact preferences for email and post (just checked again) but I don't seem to get the emails or anything through the post recently. Get loads (2 a day) from the TA that we have used sometimes!!

I have raised the same problem with P and O on numerous occasions. They still have not resolved it. We have definitely got our preferences set to email and post etc but to no avail. I even changed our email address with them but still no luck. I find out about current news from Twitter. I don't know what the answer is...

1 minute ago, Danamis said:

I have raised the same problem with P and O on numerous occasions. They still have not resolved it. We have definitely got our preferences set to email and post etc but to no avail. I even changed our email address with them but still no luck. I find out about current news from Twitter. I don't know what the answer is...

If you use a gmail account, check your “promotions” folder. Just found all of mine in there!

43 minutes ago, Bertie Doe said:

Yup, just got mine also. Doesn't tell you much other than "You can soon be back where you belong : sitting on deck, sipping something cool ..."

Could this refer to the coffee in the buffet ? or it may be Costa, I always get the two mixed up 😍  

be back where you belong: sitting
on deck, sipping something cool and watching the sparkling sea below

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 5

Thanks Grapau, yes my only two P&O trips were on Azura. June '16 Southampton, Helsinki and St Petes and Dec '16, Barbados etc to New Orleans. Weather on both trips was great - apart from strong winds on two days in December which meant no docking in Antigua or anchoring at Grand Cayman. We got an extra half day in New Orleans.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Splice the mainbrace said:

Same for us we haven’t had any of the emails that others have mentioned recently. We did however get the one about the new insurance requirements so they obviously haven’t lost our email address! 

Edited by SeaJane
Addition
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Bertie Doe said:

Thanks Grapau, yes my only two P&O trips were on Azura. June '16 Southampton, Helsinki and St Petes and Dec '16, Barbados etc to New Orleans. Weather on both trips was great - apart from strong winds on two days in December which meant no docking in Antigua or anchoring at Grand Cayman. We got an extra half day in New Orleans.

2 great itineraries.

Graham.

11 hours ago, SeaJane said:

Same for us we haven’t had any of the emails that others have mentioned recently. We did however get the one about the new insurance requirements so they obviously haven’t lost our email address! 

+1

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Josy1953 said:

+1

Me 3 - and just been on to P&O again as for some reason, after 8.5 years of getting my name right - my booking confirmation for Azura in Oct to Barbados has my surname spelled wrong?????  Asked about the summer cruises and the young lady stated that they have been begging management to give them at least a day when these will be released next week so they can cool their annoyed customers down - she double checked my contact preferences and they are all correct - even the name - so why I am not getting these emails defeated her (and me)  will be logging on a lot next week