First time ever on Princess and....

southernshug

I just wanted to thank everyone for their responses. As far as SAS airlines, I have never flown with them. My hubby is 6'3" tall so is it worth it to book like a business class? How is the coach section? Does it have a decent amount of legroom? I'm sorry......so many questions, lol

2 hours ago, PaperSniper4 said:

We also use a packing list adjusted it for each trip. Have it down to one page/pp. We only pack what fits in one suitcase/pp and one daypack carry on/pp. We have become very efficient over the years. We do receive free laundry.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, southernshug said:

I just wanted to thank everyone for their responses. As far as SAS airlines, I have never flown with them. My hubby is 6'3" tall so is it worth it to book like a business class? How is the coach section? Does it have a decent amount of legroom? I'm sorry......so many questions, lol

Yes.  My husband is 6' 7" so we always fly business or first.  If it's a leg less than a couple hours, we might do premium economy.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, southernshug said:

At 6' 3" no economy seat on any airline is going to be comfortable. At the very least, pay and get an emergency exit row,  or pay more and go for a proper Premium Economy seat. 

• Like 1

I see that other posters have capably answered your question about finding information on excursions.  I routinely check out the Port of Call forum when planning a cruise and that was where I first found out about Alla.  Once I became interested in Alla I cross referenced with Trip Advisor and also found excellent reviews.  I see that others have answered your inquiry about airline seating.  As I mentioned above we booked our flights through EZAir and found that the price on SAS was competitive.  We frequently book with American and use air miles, but we found the SAS experience to be preferable.  Have fun planning your trip!  You will see so much!

• Like 2

13 hours ago, skynight said:

We also use a packing list adjusted it for each trip. Have it down to one page/pp. We only pack what fits in one suitcase/pp and one daypack carry on/pp. We have become very efficient over the years. We do receive free laundry.

I too modify that "master" packing lists for each cruise. I also used an Excursion Info Sheet i wrote up for the excursions we took on cruises. They were handy for keeping directions of where to meet the guide, maps, costs, phone numbers, etc. But in the last several years we rarely do "organized" tours like that. On our next cruises, I doubt we do ANY tours; but that's okay, we're fine spending our time on the ship.

Ha, -I- can fit my stuff into one suitcase and a backpack but the lady with whom I happily share my life isn't the same! 😉

Doug

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, skynight said:

For several yrs DH & I were able to take even month long cruises using a carryon & personal item each. That will change with our next cruise. He now uses the dexcom for his diabetes. We'll need to pack extra sensors which will take up valuable space in our carryons. So we'll have a checked bag for 1st time in several yrs. 

12 minutes ago, 1965 said:

For several yrs DH & I were able to take even month long cruises using a carryon & personal item each. That will change with our next cruise. He now uses the dexcom for his diabetes. We'll need to pack extra sensors which will take up valuable space in our carryons. So we'll have a checked bag for 1st time in several yrs. 

Although inconvenient, a medical device does not "count" against the carry on piece limit. This is still true as far as I know; but verify. My wife has one of those COPD machines. Carrying it onboard separately results in more available space in her carry on bag.

• Like 2

If you can get it in the car ... that's our 'philosophy' when we drive to a port ... we drop off luggage at the terminal, then I have no problem snagging a Porter to help us with the luggage from the ship to the parking garage at the port ... some of the best $ 20 spent on the cruise, no worries ..

we pack a lot of "what-ifs" and of course that was pre 'rona

2 hours ago, PaperSniper4 said:

Although inconvenient, a medical device does not "count" against the carry on piece limit. This is still true as far as I know; but verify. My wife has one of those COPD machines. Carrying it onboard separately results in more available space in her carry on bag.

Did you mean CPAP? Or are you referring to a nebulizer?

Either way, medical devices don't count for flights in the US.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JF - retired RRT said:

Did you mean CPAP? Or are you referring to a nebulizer?

Either way, medical devices don't count for flights in the US.

Yes, I did mean a CPAP machine. If that's the biggest mistake I make today it will be a good 'un! ☺️

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, PaperSniper4 said:

Thank you for the info!!

29 minutes ago, southernshug said:

Next question, lol......is EZ Air usually cheaper? And what airlines do they use?

Yes, especially internationally.  For the US it's American, United and Delta.  For my November cruise, It's Delta to Amsterdam and then KLM. 

We once priced out Virgin Atlantic from Sacramento to Heathrow. No matter what "cheap" site we checked the tickets were well over $3,000 each - one way. EZ Air sold us the exact same flights for something like $305 each. It was less than 10% of the cost of booking anywhere else. I am totally sold on EZ Air for international flights!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, southernshug said:

Next question, lol......is EZ Air usually cheaper? And what airlines do they use?

It is very easy to search for flights on EZ Air. Flights have been available around 330 days out from the return flight. One way flights are also very easy. Many different airlines and mostly any airport are available. Some airlines allow seat assignments, some do not. Some allow free luggage to their credit card members some do not. Some allow upgrades before final payment some do not. Have seen excellent pricing for international first/business class from the U.S., while U.S. domestic first/business class fares are not that good compared to direct airline booking. 

9 hours ago, southernshug said:

So far ezair has always been cheaper. For our upcoming Nov cruise I got Dallas to Rome, then Ft. Lauderdale to Dallas at cruise end for $509 pp using ezair.  Same flights booked thru United are $3600 pp, economy class. It's usually a good idea to book your flights early on. You can always cancel or make changes up until 45 days (I think) prior to departure. Our flights are no longer available. Very glad I booked when I did.

Oh my goodness! I had no idea they were that much cheaper!!!! That's HUGE! I will be flying from Columbus Ohio to Copenhagen and it's gonna be a long one for sure!!!! I'd love to be able to get there semi refreshed instead of looking like a zombie, lol. Thank y'all so much for all the wonderful information!!!!

• Like 1

Another vote for EZ air, I use it.  I'm flying to Rome, too from NE Wisc., home from Ft. L, prices are up!  My flights are more than 1965 but I wanted Delta Comfort Class for the long part.

I'm near the front Row 11 (not business class).  I have ear issues, hate sitting further back.  I want to be on an aisle, with 2 seats not 3.  Yes, sort of fussy.  My tickets were $800. for both.

• Like 1

Just a couple of quick comments.  We took this tour on the Regal a few years ago.  Copenhagen is a very friendly city.  We stayed at the Absalon Hotel and were right in the center of things.  We took tours in all cities (except in Tallinn) with SPB tours.  We were with a group of former strangers and bonded with them.  We even enjoyed dinners and events on board with them.

Two things I would recommend expecially:   in St. P, we had the opportunity for a meal at a local restaurant with our guide, followed by a tour of the Fabrege museum.  Stunning, the highlight of the trip.  If you are able to do a little research in Russian History and the Romanoffs, things will be clearer for you.  Finally, we almost didn't do the SPB tour to Berlin as it seemed like a long trip for a short visit.  However, we traveled in a comfortable Mercedes van and had an overview of lots of Berlin.  Especially moving is the Memorial to the Murdered Jews of Europe, and the Berlin Wall.

Don't forget rain gear and something warm like sweatshirts.  We were there in July but there were some chilly, rainy days.

We did this cruise a few years back and it was one of the best we have ever been on.  Booked room through Princess (expensive way to go) - Blu just north of Tivoli.  Tiniest room we have ever been in (you have to turn your feet sideways to get around the bed) and kind of like staying in an Ikea.  Location good - travel agency next door where you can buy the Copenhagen Pass (includes Tivoli admission, buses, trains, canal boat and admission to most museums).  Lots of fun traveling around the city for a few days before the cruise.  Princess tour in St Petersburg was great - good lunches, great tours inside buildings like Peterhoff.  But 9 1/2 hours first day and 8 second and lots of getting on and off buses.

We were the first ship to use the new cruise port across the river and did have one problem.  Fuel barge got blown into the side of the ship and tore off one lifeboat and large cuts in two more.  Captain was NOT happy.  Didn't delay departure - we picked up a new lifeboat in Germany when we got there.  Couldn't replace the one torn off since the I-beam that supported it was also torn off.

Kind of weird sailing where you are never really out of sight of land.

Do lots of research on the ports.  Where to buy city passes, where to take tours through cruise line and where you might prefer to either use outside vendors or go alone.  For example, Talinn old city was two blocks from the port and an easy (if very steep walk on cobblestones) on your own city.  Helsinki had HOHO buses come right to the port and selling as you got off the ship.