Shady or at least interesting business practice

Caps_Shield

I do not understand why June cruises are not cancelled as of yet?  The cruise industry asked to reopen is July and were told that the CDC is holding it's line of November 1st.  So they absolutely know that June is out since they never even asked for it to restart then.  March 31, for example, is a deadline for some ships and that is coming up fast.  Why not just cancel??  Is it just to hang on to the money for a few more days and collect interest?  If so that seems shady.  I understand I can cancel anytime but why when the offer changed for so many other ships.   This just seems wrong.   Like I said, they never even asked the CDC for June.

• Like 1

I have a very strong feeling we will be hearing about injunctions and investigations. With most of the rest of the world opening to cruises and only 1 organization saying no, then there is a problem. The CDC can say all they want it is a large group that has a say. We all know that is BS. If you want to find out who else has a say, cancel the No Sail Order and see what Department steps in to stop cruising. None of them will.

As for those of use with known cruises to be canceled, we are at the mercy of the cruise lines. I have a July cruise that I fully expect to have canceled. By the time it does, we probably will not be able to find an affordable vacation on short notice for the only time we can go. Its unfortunate. The CDC should get with the Department of Commerce (or whatever) to force cruise lines to cancel all sailing until Nov 1. You won't see them do that either.

Things I am stuck with at the mercy of the Corrupt Dysfunction Clowns:

1. Cruise deposit on hold with final payment in 3 weeks ($3,000)
  2. Airline flights that will get canceled and not usable before the expiration date ($750)
  3. Hotel cancelation from points which will most like be a loss ($125)
  4. Canceling vacation time with work if they approve it.
  5. Cost of another vacation increasing drastically the longer cancelations take.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I had two June cruises in Australia cancelled, and I requested a full refund of my deposits of about $ 850. I am lucky I did not book flights or hotels. I still got Emails that final payment was due, which I ignored, but then I received a dunning notice that I'd better make that final payment as it was past due. Now that has me steamed.  

If they need to cancel a cruise Carnival should also fix their billing and accounting to keep up with the cancelations. 

I booked my sept cruise before the 1 year cdc cso came out, but I've been worried for months and have posted for months imo cruising wouldnt resume until after nov 1st. Nothing suddenly changed just because this was CLIA asking about cruises restarting other than it served as a reminder to some it seems.

We have had governor of florida, miami mayor, lots previously asking cdc to give a new date and help with restarting. It's not like anything changed in the past year. I had a april 2020 cruise cancelled and the next day got a upgrade offer, ..its a auto send. To me I dont get mad if they auto send something I know wasnt sent by a person.

Cant rebook for the price I'm booked, carnival keeps raising prices. Of course it's a bummer, but hard to blame carnival, I dont. Same as has been going on, cancelling a month or two as they are ready to process and are sure. Doesnt help getting mad. I booked, I booked nonrefundable hotel and took a chance on that too. Blame myself for not booking out further.

Carnival Just sent an email extending final Payment to April 30th for June Cruises with the option to cancel with no penalty before then. They also state they will make a decision on the cruise before April 30th so i think thats pretty fair. ( although those with airfare might not think so i understand.)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Caps_Shield said:

I do not understand why June cruises are not cancelled as of yet?  The cruise industry asked to reopen is July and were told that the CDC is holding it's line of November 1st.  So they absolutely know that June is out since they never even asked for it to restart then.  March 31, for example, is a deadline for some ships and that is coming up fast.  Why not just cancel??  Is it just to hang on to the money for a few more days and collect interest?  If so that seems shady.  I understand I can cancel anytime but why when the offer changed for so many other ships.   This just seems wrong.   Like I said, they never even asked the CDC for June.

I don't know why anyone would be shocked.  They have been canceling after the final payments since back in April when they knew there was no way any of those ships were going to sail.  At least right now it is a little less shady with the vaccine being out there.  The cruise industry has screwed a lot of people over since April and they have done it in the shadiest way.

42 minutes ago, skridge said:

I don't know why anyone would be shocked.  They have been canceling after the final payments since back in April when they knew there was no way any of those ships were going to sail.  At least right now it is a little less shady with the vaccine being out there.  The cruise industry has screwed a lot of people over since April and they have done it in the shadiest way.

It's not shady when people voluntarily pay up. It's been a hassle for sure, but I feel like Carnival handled it pretty well. I would have requested a refund right from the beginning, but I paid half of my fare with gift cards. By the time I actually get to go on my prepaid cruise, I will have booked, and paid for it almost 3 years ago. Since they are offering the option to cancel with no penalty, they are doing nothing wrong. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Caps_Shield said:

Christine - Carnival CEO announced yesterday that you can cancel your June cruise at no penalty and for those that wanted to hold off and had not completed payment that payments were extended until April 31st.

1 hour ago, skridge said:

The cruise industry has screwed a lot of people over since April and they have done it in the shadiest way.

To be fair, the cruise lines themselves have been screwed over to the tune of billions of dollars every month since April, so I'm willing to cut them some slack. They're just trying to stay afloat (pun intended) so we can all cruise again.

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Caps_Shield said:

The terrain is shifting daily as vaccines roll out so there is a possibility that the CDC will relax its restrictions before June. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sparks1093 said:

The terrain is shifting daily as vaccines roll out so there is a possibility that the CDC will relax its restrictions before June. 

I'd say that possibility is somewhere between slim and none, with none in the lead.

First, they just denied the CLIA request to roll back the November 1st cutoff date.

Second, although we may soon be at a point where anyone eligible for the vaccine can receive it, the country still has too many who say no way will I sign up for the vaccine.

39 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

I'd say that possibility is somewhere between slim and none, with none in the lead.

First, they just denied the CLIA request to roll back the November 1st cutoff date.

Second, although we may soon be at a point where anyone eligible for the vaccine can receive it, the country still has too many who say no way will I sign up for the vaccine.

There is that and the cdc is still saying no nonessential travel recommended even if you have been vaccinated. Cdc has a very long way to go in keeping up. If they had their way we all would still be locked in our houses science be darned. ..not a fan. Good thing is most people know the cdc is irrevalant they are so over cautious. They have fallen in love with their own power. 

• Like 5

50 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

I'm not following this anywhere near what could be considered closely but I understood that when they denied CLIA's request they left the door open to modifying it if the numbers allowed. (Just found this in another thread- "At the time it said the order would remain in effect until Nov. 1, unless it decided otherwise or if the virus was no longer deemed a public health emergency."

Edited by sparks1093