The Daily for Friday Mar 26, 2021

richwmn

Good Morning and back to reality! Thank You for the Daily and the Care List.✏️

The Cook Islands are still on the Bucket List 😎~~~visited many of the various islands in the South Pacific on these TransPacifics.🛳️

I also read that California is expanding the eligibility for vaccines to all residents 16 and older beginning next month. Good News for our population! 🙂

🙏Prayers for all in need and will catch up on more pages later. Now to adjust to a three hour time difference!🤪

• Like 18

Just now, garlictown said:

Good Morning and back to reality! Thank You for the Daily and the Care List.✏️

The Cook Islands are still on the Bucket List 😎~~~visited many of the various islands in the South Pacific on these TransPacifics.🛳️

I also read that California is expanding the eligibility for vaccines to all residents 16 and older beginning next month. Good News for our population! 🙂

🙏Prayers for all in need and will catch up on more pages later. Now to adjust to a three hour time difference!🤪

Yes, we go to 50 and over on April 1, then 16 and up on the 15th. 

Let’s see how long it really takes for people to get vaccinated. It’s supposed to be based on order signing up, and dependent on your group eligibility. So that adds more people to the eligible list.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

Good morning all!

Even though our highs will only get up to the low 50's F, we're having a couple days without rain so I'll take it!  After tomorrow we'll actually have a long stretch without rain -- I may even have to water my new plantings outside 😉  

Like everyone, I hope to live long and prosper too.  So funny, I knew that phrase sounded familiar, but I haven't watched any Star Trek since the original series in the mid 60's.  😁

Will pass on the meal, not a fan of Sage except for small amounts with turkey.  I prefer my salmon with just lemon and garlic.  @dfishthanks for the info about beets and spinach, I didn't know that.  I love them both in salads too, I guess it's a good thing I don't have them often. I've never had a kidney stone but know people who have.  Worst pain ever is what they say.

Great news about California opening up vaccinations to 16 and up on April 15.  I just texted DS who is too young to get in on the 50 and up group.  He knew, and agreed now the trick is to get an appointment.  DD offered to help, she's been successful in getting many of us vaccinated here.

@StLouisCruisersthank you for the photos of the port today!  We haven't been there yet, but it's one of the ports on our 45-day South Pacific cruise later next year.  We'll be there on Halloween 😉  

@superomacongrats on getting an appointment for your first jab!

• Like 18

I got my last shot yesterday and the only reaction was a slightly sore arm. I can’t tell you the relief I feel knowing I’m better protected.  We are heading into a warmer week. Time to dig the kayak out of the barn. 

• Like 18

Since holidays typically mean a day off work, does that make every day a holiday for we retirees??

Minnesota will be opening up vaccines to anyone over 16 on Tuesday! 

I have raked leaves out of the gardens because I'm impatient to see what spring bulbs the former owners planted and to start planning future plantings. It turns out there are lots of bulbs! I found one crocus blooming yesterday, it was not too impressive but is a harbinger of what is to come - 

image.thumb.png.95928184d39e70a4728b91e23896c4b8.png

• Like 25

Good morning. Thanks for the Daily.

As a Spock fan/Trekkie I like Live Long and Prosper Day! 

It's really blowing here. The high winds have brought down power lines, but so far I'm good.

I'm not a fish person. I have tried to like salmon, but even in Alaska, I just didn't like it. I like Roy's meal.

I've never been to Rarotonga. @StLouisCruisers thanks for the pics.

Ugh. Another day with the Covid case count over 500. 

Congrats to all those getting their shots.

Prayers for the care list and cheers to the celebration list.

Stay safe and wear your mask.

A picture of me with Leonard Nimoy (Spock) taken about 35 years ago.

18630182_LeonardNimoyandMe.thumb.jpg.6c781e15defa1a21c35579f9e5bd5618.jpg

• Like 37
  • Thanks 1

🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺

GOOD MORNING!! Rich, love the days!!!

Roy, like my Midwest sister 🌺Joy you know where I stand and think of you daily!

Tonight we’re going over to Shawn’s to barbecue some steaks and bring little Paisley back home to mom. I am making spinach soufflé one of her favorites and also twice baked potatoes! 
🌺Joy to answer your question I was called yesterday mid morning to help out again with vaccines with our new shipment and knew our Gov was going to announce April 1 age 50 could get shots and April 15th age 16. So I will help again next week. Soon our county might be in the Orange tier soon! Will see.

🌺Summer we enjoy this drink when I can get watermelon and make our own and it is ice cold! 
🌺Debbie I enjoy salmon and would enjoy making this one!!

🌺garlictown it was nice talking with you! Glad you enjoyed your time in Maui! 
You were right next door as neighbors to our home!

🌴🌴🌴🌴🌴🌴🌴🌴🌴🌴🌴

OKAY! My baby hummingbird is getting BIG! Mama comes by but not often and this little guy is cute! Was able to try to get close when I came home yesterday 

and take pics!

Denise😊

image.thumb.png.a485c8e9bedff6d454f3ca3fd734ecac.png

image.thumb.jpeg.6c154886ce7e4baab15368bcb48d2626.jpeg

• Like 24

Good morning and thanks all.   That Aqua Fresca sounds great,  add a little Prosecco......

We had salmon last night, but the sage sounds too strong for it?   Love spinach and beets but after one kidney stone I am double thinking...

We’ve been to Vulcan, lol!  But not Rarotonga, hopefully one day!

A069D0D4-D40F-40FB-A23F-F99A8A114BB3.jpeg

• Like 19

5 hours ago, richwmn said:

Today is ......................................., and National Spinach Day..............................................

brace yourselves for the upcoming spinach jokes - Winter is Coming | Meme  Generator

Spinach | GagsBox | Comedy memes, Memes, Funny jokes

100+ Popeye Quotes About The Spinach Eating One-Eyed Sailor Man - Comic  Books & Beyond

National Spinach Day | Inspirational sports quotes, Work quotes  inspirational, Inspirational calendar

Edited by Copper10-8
  • Like 18
  • Haha 6

Good morning all!

I have been dropping in only sporadically for a week or so, lots to catch up on! 

We were in Branson checking on our vacation home remodel (still not finished ☹️). After not being sick for over a year and being fully vaccinated, DH & I caught an intestinal bug-yuck. First we thought it was something we ate (carry out from Cracker Barrel), but it became obvious it was something more. We are better now, but it wasn’t fun. With my ALS I’m not so speedy on heading for the bathroom (sorry, TMI).

As usual enjoying the days, the quote, the food, the drink, the wine. I will skip the sage on the salmon (that’s best on turkey). We usually make a glaze with whatever’s in the fridge or pantry, I’m partial to sweet ones. I have had Aqua Fresca with tamarind in Mexico. Very refreshing. 

Thank you for keeping us informed on the care list and the celebration list. One friend heard good news about a biopsy, but the brother of a friend died from Covid this week. Please pray for me as I am up for a drug trial for ALS. I don’t mind being the guinea pig for this one. If accepted, my first treatment will be end of April, early May. It will mean 5 lumbar punctures. I pray that I will have no side affects and of course if it stopped the progress of my ALS, that would be exciting.

I have been to today’s port. I’ll give my fingers a rest and come back with a story.

Take care,

St Louis Sal

• Like 26
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, superoma said:

So excited. I just scored a vaccine appointment for Monday morning at 9 am! Our city opened up appointments to 70+. It will be the Pfizer shot.

have a great day everybody.

Good for you!,  

hubby and I; 60+,  getting our jabs Sunday!  

• Like 15

Good morning, all! Live Long and Prosper Day works for all of us who are Star Trek fans. Actually, it is a very fitting greeting here on Earth during the pandemic. I wonder why it isn’t used more?

Today’s port, Rarotonga, was a wonderful stop on the Amsterdam last spring, though a little rough on the tender! The island is beautiful, and very pointy with a road circling the flat rim of the island. We took the local bus, which circles the island in both directions, passing each other halfway around. It was a quiet beach day for us. We got out at Muri Beach, and relaxed on the sand at the edge of the lagoon. The local dogs each ‘adopt’ a visitor to hang out with. A couple of them stake out the paddle board rental and hop on the front of of a board heading out for a free ride. We hopped back on the bus and finished the circle of the island back to town. After checking out the small town on foot and picking up some famous Cook Island fudge, it was back to the tender and away.

45658AF8-9E61-4DAE-B30C-317E4E64535C.thumb.jpeg.61b713aaece0d87c49c0c2129578e074.jpeg

Approaching Rarotonga as sun and rain play tag.

C97A1807-632A-4B39-A30A-CD31B352D99F.thumb.jpeg.8f52cded265a2e33d3b42caaf6c32ce8.jpeg

Waiting for the bus in front of the Visitors Center by the tender pier.

4AC6F6A0-0360-4D88-8C05-70BF4EACF989.thumb.jpeg.8b9b8a92d27cd1d8f51c7e8ebfd65956.jpeg

Welcome to the Cook Islands!

67764B86-2D96-46C9-A4C8-6D8E304A1537.thumb.jpeg.39dc165801f11597c49c1e59e7a69b26.jpeg

The view back to the Amsterdam.

D0FD165B-3E7C-456D-9ACD-1DC3685A3F5A.thumb.jpeg.1a45ff9b2639b115198ae901ee1a8942.jpeg

Our spot on Muri Lagoon beach.

16C20CAC-0023-44B2-B25B-61A43E100BA6.thumb.jpeg.a83a1b035f659190032dcf0e3f7c735a.jpeg

Our dog for the day. He was a little disappointed when we stopped playing in the water and took a nap.

0DF60D19-7A61-4001-AF2E-D8DC3BA0346A.thumb.jpeg.e8f15e03bbcd74932aafbcfa4d6a81d1.jpeg

One of the paddle board rental dogs with a new customer.

37A4D2F8-708A-4773-BC4A-3AAFC6216A21.thumb.jpeg.9c0f0af732f6b2493cf2fce1cc841507.jpeg

B699ABD4-C21A-4386-9F33-2DCA65F3E244.thumb.jpeg.c7bc3cadc7a43bfa96b556db7c1ac6d2.jpeg

views inland and upward from the beach.

D16E9FCE-238D-43C2-AC2D-9DC042CBB868.thumb.jpeg.2ee65eedf240bdf6706c59fcc856876b.jpeg

Back to the tender, and time to say goodbye to Rarotonga.

AF09379A-08F9-48EF-8195-1638A6C6320E.thumb.jpeg.088319e33409cef603b1c7c38f1d43f5.jpeg

Now that we’re gone, the rains move in in earnest.

A8E3DD46-F301-4EFC-9D1C-F9ADDB48170B.thumb.jpeg.402a6d31bf70ac6449e2dbd397d81983.jpeg

The island slides off into the mist as we leave.

And of course, TGIF from the elevator mats of the Amsterdam!

A97551D1-22FC-447F-AF3E-DC6D83125D43.thumb.jpeg.982ee22007a259a1027966dc5f0aa1c6.jpeg

• Like 28
  • Thanks 1

Catching up today. Yesterday we had 5 inches of snow, but it never stuck on the driveway or roads and had vanished by late afternoon. This morning I woke up to an additional 3 inches but again it avoided the hard surfaces (except the car) and is rapidly disappearing. The moisture is greatly appreciated. The dogs walk is delayed but will do that shortly.

Yesterday was spent reviewing the plans for renovation of the Humane Society..... today will be spent working on prioritizing the list. We got a new architect and he is much more down to earth and realistic than the previous one. We have to keep the footprint of the current building which is going to limit what we can do. So off to do something worthwhile .... tomorrow is meeting of the full board and I am going to need my ideas firmly ready to present.

Susan

• Like 18

Good afternoon all,

It is wet and windy here today, with alternating hailstones and sunshine.

I have been so envious reading about those of you getting your Covid shots and how the availability is opening up in USA.  In Europe it is still very slow.  In Ireland we have the infrastructure in place to deliver vaccines to the patients arms, but very little available vaccine.  Lockdown continues and cases remain too high to consider easing it.

Good news though - yesterday DW received a phone call from her doctor to say that she was on the 'standby list' for a Pfizer vax on Saturday.  Today they called again to say her appointment is now 'confirmed' for Saturday morning and they also confirmed her second shot for 24th April 😁.  I have been told that it will be two weeks before I get it.

take care, everyone.

Remember to wear a mask while you live long and prosper.

• Like 28

43 minutes ago, St. Louis Sal said:

Please pray for me as I am up for a drug trial for ALS. I don’t mind being the guinea pig for this one. If accepted, my first treatment will be end of April, early May. It will mean 5 lumbar punctures. I pray that I will have no side affects and of course if it stopped the progress of my ALS, that would be exciting.

I have been to today’s port. I’ll give my fingers a rest and come back with a story.

Take care,

St Louis Sal

Prayers winging their way that the trial is successful!

• Like 10

Day 1/Night 2 ended with a visit to the Shanghai Grand Theatre (on the 4th floor of the Portman Ritz-Carlton Hotel) to watch an incredible performance by the Shanghai acrobats, a well-known Chinese professional acrobatics performing group which was founded in 1951. The acrobatics show is not to be missed; they are held each night and last for about two hours. The troupe frequently tours internationally and performs routinely in Shanghai and other Chinese cities. They did not disappoint with their gravity-defying contortionism, juggling, unicycling, chair-stacking, plate-spinning and motorcycle/dirt bike acrobatics inside a mesh sphere ball, also known as the "globe of death" Passed both a Chinese KFC as well as 7-11 on the way back to Amsterdam. Night #2 in Shanghai passed without any criminal incidents which made this SECO a very happy camper! 🙂     

076.JPG

077.JPG

080.JPG

acrobatic-show-shanghai-china-1224x765.jpg

Acrobats20Rolling20Cup_IMG_898220copy_2.jpg

arobati-shanghai-show-china-1224x765.jpg

d26d73f970b2529821c342aa3d97096a.jpg

Shanghai Acrobatics1.jpg

Shanghai Acrobatics2.jpg

082.JPG

087.JPG

088.JPG

093.JPG

094.JPG

095.JPG

Edited by Copper10-8
  • Like 24

I have been to Rarotonga if you count the ship dropping anchor, me riding the tender, but not getting off at the dock. I am jealous of the pictures from @Horizon chaser 1957and @StLouisCruisersMy pictures were not sunny or even slightly rainy. 

We were on the Rotterdam in 2010 on the Hawaii/Tahiti cruise. The morning we were at Rarotonga the weather was pretty bad and it seemed as though we would not be able to tender. But it improved enough that people began to head over. DH and I went for an early lunch before leaving for our scheduled excursion to a pearl farm. But it began to rain harder and my husband bailed out on me. I went down to the tenders where I saw an acquaintance and asked her how the island was. She said she didn’t know as she didn’t get off the tender, it was too turbulent. I thought to myself, I’m not a wimp, I’m going to do this! Riding over I had to brace my foot on the seat across just to keep from falling on the floor. They had a hard time tying up, but finally we were ready. There were only a few of us and I let a gentleman go ahead of me. Just as he put his foot on the dock along came a big swell and he did a full split! I considered how many days of the cruise I had left and whether I wanted to do them with a broken bone.  And I wimped out. That’s the only time I’ve ever done that. When I arrived back my husband told me the excursions had been canceled (he was sort of “I told you so”). 

That was the worst tender ride I’ve taken although on the way to Fanning Island on that same cruise I did bounce off my seat onto the floor as we churned through some really choppy waves and rain. I only bruised my pride, I was quite embarrassed.

St Louis Sal

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Rarotonga was our last port on our Maasdam cruise last year. Unlike others it was a beautiful day for tendering. After a great day we hauled anchor and set off for our next port, Papeete, only to wake in the morning exactly where we were last night 😱. Those who could gets flights out of Rarotonga that day, mostly Australia and NZ, were allowed off and taken directly to the airport. 

CEA32AD2-5B11-4E51-BDF5-4AED6897FE2B.jpeg

3BA9EB7C-82E6-4AC0-A11B-3D76549B0811.jpeg

• Like 17

4 hours ago, TiogaCruiser said:

Yes, we go to 50 and over on April 1, then 16 and up on the 15th. 

Let’s see how long it really takes for people to get vaccinated. It’s supposed to be based on order signing up, and dependent on your group eligibility. So that adds more people to the eligible list.

My cousin in Indiana mentioned that eligibility is opening up in that state as well. All GOOD news!! 😃

• Like 12

1 hour ago, St. Louis Sal said:

Please pray for me as I am up for a drug trial for ALS. I don’t mind being the guinea pig for this one. If accepted, my first treatment will be end of April, early May. It will mean 5 lumbar punctures.

All our prayers are winging there way for you 🙏🏻 ♥️ 

• Like 11

1 hour ago, VMax1700 said:

Good news though - yesterday DW received a phone call from her doctor to say that she was on the 'standby list' for a Pfizer vax on Saturday.  Today they called again to say her appointment is now 'confirmed' for Saturday morning and they also confirmed her second shot for 24th April 😁

That is really good news, indeed. 🙂. She is most likely immune compromised with her cancer treatments.  Glad to see she has been prioritized. 👍 

• Like 8