Monday Mar 29, 2021

richwmn

Good morning everyone. We always like to shop mom and pop businesses because so many have been taken over by big box stores. We have no local small pharmacy anymore as just one example.

I played piano as a child, or rather I took piano lessons, but I was never any good. DH, on the other hand, studied at Juliard in NYC. Our grandson is passionate about the piano and just is finishing a gap year before college studying piano at Interlochen in Michigan. He will be minoring in music at Bard College next year.

DH has his second shot today at the VA and our daughter and her husband have theirs in a few days. Hopefully, all goes well and they have no reaction. Last time, DH lost vision in one eye for a few minutes so we’re nervous. His internist said there have been several cases of blindness after the shot.

Stay well everyone and enjoy Monday.

Carol

• Like 21

4 minutes ago, mamaofami said:

DH has his second shot today at the VA and our daughter and her husband have theirs in a few days. Hopefully, all goes well and they have no reaction. Last time, DH lost vision in one eye for a few minutes so we’re nervous. His internist said there have been several cases of blindness after the shot.

Stay well everyone and enjoy Monday.

Carol

Hope all goes well, Carol!

• Like 11

Good morning!  It's sunny and cold (again) today.  The weather has been all over the chart here.  But I guess that's springtime for you.  The stir fry recipe for today looks and sounds good to me.  But those shots!  Good grief, that's a lot of work so I'll pass.

We had a scare last night.  My DMIL was finished eating dinner in the community area near the nurses' station when she "collapsed".  She was in her wheelchair so it doesn't sound like she fell out of it, but just went unconscious.  Not choking, but shallow breathing and pupils not reactive.  She was put on oxygen and back to bed where they checked all her vitals.  After a while she became more reactive.  Family was called and a hospice nurse went over immediately to check on her and report back to us.  She was much improved by then and she apparently had a good night and woke up well this morning.  No one has a clue what the issue was but she will be checked out again today.  We just hope this doesn't happen regularly now since we have no idea what caused her to have that happen.  I am so relieved I didn't have far worse news on her this morning.  I'm saying a prayer she is back to her old feisty self again now.😉

Today's port sounds interesting.  I've been to three other Croatian ports but never that one.  Of course I'd be thrilled to go there if cruising every starts up again.  Praying for that too!  If anyone has been there we'd love to hear what you have to tell us about it.  Meanwhile, I have a day off from posting photos.😋

• Like 25

Good Morning from warm but overcast day at the beach.

Love small family owned stores and support them as much as possible. 

Have never been to the port of the day. I  have to get out traveling again!

Wish you could send that accordian player this way. We were overrun with people yesterday. We dont go on the beach on weekends, just too many people!

Heading to the pool this AM. I lead a water aerobics class and have not been there in a month.  It will feel good to get back in the water. Have to put some normalcy back in my life.

Stay safe and enjoy today.

• Like 22

Us poor maligned accordion players! That is the instrument I learned on, eventually moving to piano and organ. Was a church organist for 25 years all with the humble beginnings on the accordion! 

had my first Covid shot today, Pfizer. I walked over to our local community college where they have set up a clinic, one of three, plus pharmacies, in our city. They are withholding second shots for 4 months, not happy about that but if they get first doses out to most they will start on the second round.

5BBD7D4B-A93C-451A-BDD5-DE9C42AAB4EC.jpeg

3E93B882-E24F-45FD-9ECF-5B4EE6F2AE0E.jpeg

• Like 28

2 hours ago, richwmn said:

I did a poor job of "Cut & Paste" this morning -- twice! Please forgive and the correct title should be back tomorrow!

You are doing a beautiful job Rich. That sister of mine (the one on the east coast) sometimes has a sharp tongue.. she means not any harm...

• Like 5
  • Haha 4

It is supposed to be sunny and in the 70s today! Maybe I can get the last of the leaves out of the yard & gardens.

Shrimp on the grill for tonight's main course, still thinking about the sides....

Our spring bulbs are being very slow in emerging so here is something from the Mounts Botanical Garden -

DSC_0678.thumb.JPG.3ebb833d90341c7c0d36c51482fe01ab.JPG

DSC_0672.thumb.JPG.5d38f6810c899d5b349becf4c4d389c4.JPG

• Like 24

8 minutes ago, Overhead Fred said:

It is supposed to be sunny and in the 70s today! Maybe I can get the last of the leaves out of the yard & gardens.

Shrimp on the grill for tonight's main course, still thinking about the sides....

Our spring bulbs are being very slow in emerging so here is something from the Mounts Botanical Garden -

DSC_0678.thumb.JPG.3ebb833d90341c7c0d36c51482fe01ab.JPG

DSC_0672.thumb.JPG.5d38f6810c899d5b349becf4c4d389c4.JPG

Wow. Those gardeners are Lego's?

• Like 7

Good morning.  All the days are interesting.  I took piano lessons for five years, and I really think my teacher did a happy dance the day I quit. 😀  No matter how hard I tried, the piano and I were not a good fit, but my mother was a very good piano player.  Unfortunately, most of the local mom and pop stores here have closed since 2008.  We do have two pharmacies in town.

@StLouisCruisers Hope whatever happened to you DMIL was a one time only event.  Good to know she is alert and better today.

@mamaofami  Hope you DH does not have a reaction to his shot.

@ontheweb  Happy Birthday to your DW.  🎂 🥂

Our DDs are getting their first shots this week, one tomorrow and the other on Friday.  Texas has opened up to 16 and older.  Our SILs have had their first shots, with one getting the J&J.  So hopefully, in the not too distant future, we will get to see them.

We have been fortunate to visit Rijeka twice.  The first visit was in 2017 on the Prinsendam and the second was 2019 on the Veendam.  Most of my pictures are from 2017 since it was raining for part of the day in 2019.  

Rijeka's main claim to fame is it is where the torpedo was invented and first tested.  Ivan Luppis, a retired naval officer, and Robert Whitehead, an Englishman working for a steam ship manufacturer in Rijeka, got together and built the first torpedoes, which they launched from a ground based launching platform.  We could see the platform from a local bus we took, but did not get close enough to get a picture.  There is a torpedo museum located in a warehouse on the waterfront.

This was taken at the small boat harbor in town looking across to a distant part of town.

DSC01324.thumb.JPG.f4805358ed04fb0dc3ecbbbffe022a49.JPG

These were taken on some of the pedestrian streets in the center of town.  The clock tower is a landmark, and when you walk through the passage you are in a secluded plaza.  You can see the difference in the weather on the two visits.

DSC01335.thumb.JPG.f2485580d721427a6f5a24df87ac0e18.JPG

DSC01334.thumb.JPG.a4fe423f9ac6eec58996dcc24c720227.JPG

DSC06531.thumb.JPG.edc78eae6bbe2e6764eab58c94270967.JPG

This is a back street with shops for the locals.

DSC06543.thumb.JPG.901a57d01d10d5d0cb3cd696237c7f3b.JPG

Here are a couple of pictures from the Torpedo Museum.  The lighting in the museum was subdued with a blue tint.

DSC01356.thumb.JPG.7e4d59c7d69289a25404966921f1db83.JPG

DSC01360.thumb.JPG.99b9f38f6150b3d0b45aa10b68ac370c.JPG

The town was counting down to 2020.

DSC06533.thumb.JPG.a3c31608e7aae00cd776a3af3df9fbb4.JPG

This church was a few blocks from the main street with the clock tower.

DSC06537.thumb.JPG.19e0598d6526f02dd3b54a7c6e630195.JPG

This is looking toward the upper part of town.

DSC01363.thumb.JPG.c45a87e68d0acf46f16c474692ff61aa.JPG

Lenda

Edited by Quartzsite Cruiser
  • Like 32

Good Morning Dailyites! Thanks to you all for your fellowship. Reading this each day never fails to put a smile on my face.

Although we have been to Croatia -- but hope to return some day -- Rijeka has not been one of our port calls. Yet another addition to the Bucket List.

We are quite excited about driving to see friends in SC in May. We are all vaccinated and we have been doing a weekly Virtual Ocean Bar for the last year. We are almost giddy at the thought of seeing friends in person again. Who knows what we'll be like when we actually have boarding documents for a BHB? 😍

@rafinmd  I read that the ship in the Suez Canal has been freed! It will be lovely to see it moved from Cares to Celebrations tomorrow.

Even with vaccination levels improving, please continue to social distance, wash hands and, of course, wear a mask. We'll get through this!

-Cat

• Like 22

Good morning everybody . Glad the Daily is back to normal , thank you for all the information Rich and Roy , much appreciated .

I have been to Rijeka , Croatia about 58 years ago when it was still behind the Iron Curtain in the former Yugoslavia but open to visitors from Western European countries  with a Visa. We love Croatia and have been in recent years to  three different Ports there and hope to go back soon .

No pictures from me today  , I only have a few B&W ones and on top of that I was posing with my shirt off so better not do it .  

Tony 😀

• Like 20

Top of the morning Rich and thank you for the Daily. (I don't care what you call it, I'll track ya down, just don't change your name!)

Good morning to my "normally" sweet sisters, Roy you are in my prayers, and thanks to all our contributors and Daily-ites. I think we're all covered..

Today we're meeting the Cav guys and wives for early dinner at Pappadeaux's,  so I believe our meal will be seafood related. I used to play piano when I was little but did not pursue it. My family was big into music. My great aunts and uncles came from Bohemia and they could play accordion,  concertina, drums, Banjo and guitar. My mom played organ and piano at church for a long time. 

I hope all have a beautiful day. I'm so happy to see younger people now able to get the covid vaccine.

Prayers and Cheers 

• Like 19

🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺

HAPPY MONDAY TO MY FRIENDS ON THE DAILY!!!

Have my coffee ️ and enjoying all the catch up before I head out today! Have not heard from (Gator65 )and wonder if he is busy also with helping with vaccines.

So important to keep all our local small businesses going!! We support them here and our local beach community really does a lot with weekend block parties for all to shop and eat👍
Love the quote, and the only thing I can do on a piano is play (CHOPSTICKS)!!

We so enjoy Croatia!! Still have my lavender sachet from Havar when we sailed The Windstar and many times to Dubrovnik. Such a beautiful country. 
🌺Dear Rich and what a day yesterday! So glad you have back up plans for us with The Daily. I was so surprised last night the moderator had my reply pending😳. Anyway a new week!!

🌺To my sisters, Roy, Jacqui, Summer and Debbie And to my extended family

have a beautiful week!

Take care

Denise😊

• Like 20

Hi all. Thanks Rich. In a few minutes I have a guy coming to give estimates on heating updates. He is the first of two so I know I’m not getting the silly old lady deal. Hopefully next winter when I’m not cruising I will be warm and toasty at home. 

• Like 15

2 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Good morning!  It's sunny and cold (again) today.  The weather has been all over the chart here.  But I guess that's springtime for you.  The stir fry recipe for today looks and sounds good to me.  But those shots!  Good grief, that's a lot of work so I'll pass.

We had a scare last night.  My DMIL was finished eating dinner in the community area near the nurses' station when she "collapsed".  She was in her wheelchair so it doesn't sound like she fell out of it, but just went unconscious.  Not choking, but shallow breathing and pupils not reactive.  She was put on oxygen and back to bed where they checked all her vitals.  After a while she became more reactive.  Family was called and a hospice nurse went over immediately to check on her and report back to us.  She was much improved by then and she apparently had a good night and woke up well this morning.  No one has a clue what the issue was but she will be checked out again today.  We just hope this doesn't happen regularly now since we have no idea what caused her to have that happen.  I am so relieved I didn't have far worse news on her this morning.  I'm saying a prayer she is back to her old feisty self again now.😉

Today's port sounds interesting.  I've been to three other Croatian ports but never that one.  Of course I'd be thrilled to go there if cruising every starts up again.  Praying for that too!  If anyone has been there we'd love to hear what you have to tell us about it.  Meanwhile, I have a day off from posting photos.😋

Sandi, praying that your DMIL gets back to being her feisty self fast!

• Like 7

Good morning all!

We're having some crazy, nutty weather here.  High winds yesterday, then hail/sleet and a lot of hail this morning.  Worried about my flowers, the daffodils were just about ready to bloom...

We don't have any Mom & Pop businesses around here that I know of, the closest thing would be our favorite Italian restaurant a few towns north.  Family-run, he's an amazing chef from Milan.  Sadly after dining there for nearly 20 years, he's sold the restaurant.  I think Covid was too much, the take-out wasn't enough to sustain them.  My friend and I will be having lunch there today for the first time since the new owner took over, it will be bittersweet!

My oldest sister taught piano and she did her best to teach me and my other sister.  Neither of us ever went on with it, but our sister had amazing talent.

I love stir fry, but never use a recipe, and prefer a lot more veggies in it.  No idea what will be for dinner tonight, as I won't be home until dinner time.  Probably take-out. 😉

We almost got to Rijeka, but it was cancelled for some reason and we had a substitute port.  Croatia is absolutely gorgeous, and I've loved the 3 ports we've seen.  We were in Croatia 4 times in 2019 but never Rijeka.   

@Quartzsite Cruiserthank you for your photos.

@StLouisCruisersoh my, what a scare with your DMIL!  Good news that she seems to be back to her feisty self today. 🙂  

DD got her second vaccine last night (she volunteers at a local vaccination site).  Now to get DS and DDIL vaccinated in CA, hopefully when it opens up to younger people next month.  Then the whole family will be vaccinated.

• Like 17

Good  morning . My DB  and  I both  played  the  accordion. I  am sure our neighbors suffered!

We  wished  for  a  piano but  the  wish  was  never  granted.  I  hate  to  say  it  but  I  think  there  is  an  awful  lot  of  "smoke  and  mirrors" going  on  today.....Anyway, thanks  for  the recipes, quotes and  collection  of  days. And  the  Croatia  pictures.           Terry

I  almost  forgot! The  appliance curse  has  gotten  my  dishwasher. It  is  only  5   years  old  but  leaks dramatically.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, USN59-79 said:

I might mention, Rich that today is also National Vietnam War Veterans Day.  It commemorates the day in 1973 when MACV was officially shut down and we left Vietnam to the Communists.

Ray

Thank  you  for  mentioning  this. Our  oldest  brother was  in   the  Navy and  on  a  Hospital Ship near  Danang. He  never  spoke  about  it to  us ,which  I  am  sure  is  typical.

• Like 10

😎Happy Monday morning from sunny California! 😎 I actually went in the pool (heated) yesterday for some "home style" water aerobics, lol!🙃

Thank you for the Plan B Daily and update.✏️

We've only visited Dubrovnik and Split....past sailings with Princess.🛳️

I took piano lessons for two years and probably can only play chop sticks, ha-ha!🎵

🙏 Prayers for all in need and have a good week. 🙏

• Like 18