The Daily for Thursday Apr 01, 2021

richwmn

Today is April Fool's Day, International Tatting Day, and International Fun at Work Day

Life begins at the end of your comfort zone -- Neale Donald Walsch

Meal suggestion for today - Chile Colorado Burritos

Drink of the Day - S'moretini

Wine of the day - Williams Selyem 2018 Terra De Promissio Vineyard Pinot Noir (Sonoma Coast) Sonoma

Port of the Day - Timaru New Zealand

At Sea Pacific
Koningsdam Destination La Paz MX eta 4/2
Zuiderdam Destination Long Beach eta 4/1

Brest FR
Oosterdam

Corfu GR
Volendam

Great Stirrup Cay
Nieuw Statendam Anchorage

La Paz MX
Nieuw Amsterdam Anchorage
Noordam Anchorage

Long Beach
Westerdam Anchorage

Southampton
Zaandam

Torquay UK
Eurodam Anchorage

0401World.thumb.png.09824bb85914de1a3f998725f8a0a1d3.png

• Like 26
  • Thanks 4

Thank you for the April Fools Daily, Rich.  It's wonderful to find work that's fun but tattling has a bit of mixed reactions.  Love the quote.  Been to lots of New Zealand ports but I don't think Timaru.  I'll pass on the Burrito.  My alternative is Papaya with Rainbow of Fruit, Basil Crusted Veal Medallion with Morels, Tiramisu, and Devils Food Cake as served on MS Zaandam April Fools, 2017.

https://aroundamericabitbybit.files.wordpress.com/2017/04/dishes01.jpg

Today's care list:

cruisin single’s family

J&J production problems

myself facing cardiac surgery

NextOne DH facing chemo

St. Louis Cruiser DMIL

Rest in Peace Krazy Kruizers

Today's Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Teachers, school workers and at home surrogates

Maundy Thursday                   
Front Line Health Care Workers

smitty34877 visiting DS

First jab for ger_77

Father Morse

Nieuw Statendam coming to Everglades Saturday

and Sabine, HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

I hope the Johnson and Johnson mixup in our Baltimore lab does not unduly delay a jab for @mamaofami

Roy

• Like 31
  • Thanks 3

Good morning.  Thanks for the Daily Report.

Mother Nature is playing an April Fools Joke on us - it's snowing!  I was hoping spring was here, but I was wrong.🙁

Tatting - making lace or slang for tattoos?  I don't do either.

Interesting quote.

The dinner suggestion sounds good - we need something to warm us up today.

The drink of the day sounds like dessert.  Looking forward to reading about the wine.

I haven't been to New Zealand (yet), hope to visit someday.  Thanks in advance for the pictures that will be posted.

Sending prayers for us all  and cheers to all who celebrate.

Stay safe.

• Like 22

Good morning, everyone.

Yesterday's trip to Toledo was wonderful.  It was nice to get out and take a road trip.  It was also nice to reconnect with friends I haven't seen since before the pandemic started.  We were all vaccinated, so we had a nice lunch at my friend John's house.  Since he's a public health doctor, I took his advice on the safety of it.  I'm still having a hard time dropping my pandemic desire to isolate, even in situations where the CDC says it is ok to gather.  

April Fools Day is also my sister's birthday.   When she was born my dad decorated the house with a big sign saying, "Fourth annual daughter born today, April 1."  I've often thought I would like to try the lace making tatting.  It is so complicated, but so beautiful.  Hopefully, everyone finds some fun at work.  That's what keeps us going back and doing a good job.

Today's meal sounds good as well.  There are a couple different recipes, so I'll offer the Taste of Home one that is simple and easy to do and one with a few more ingredients and steps if you want to step it up a bit.  Taste of Home tends to be pretty basic and a good starting point for most recipes.  It is also good for quick, easy, but tasty meals.  

https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/chile-colorado-burritos/

https://www.lecremedelacrumb.com/smothered-chile-colorado-burritos/

chile-colorado-burritos-6.jpg

• Like 24
  • Thanks 2

Good morning everyone. I was up before this thread started but never again. I have an early first of the day dental hygiene appointment today.

Ill celebrate April fools day, and can really attest to the fact that when younger, my oldest daughter would always tattle on her younger sister.

Ill check back later today.

Stay safe everyone.

Carol

• Like 19

Thanks for the April Fool’s Day Daily, Rich and our morning smile 🙂 

Happy April Fool’s Day everyone.  Little worried as Miko goes for grooming this morning.  Hope my groomer and friend doesn’t play an April Fool’s Day prank with his cut 😉 

61DDE08E-1417-460B-900F-60C38FEB57E0.gif.e23f9c9e5b8b4ddb4e9373f926ea5308.gif

Happy to celebrate International Tatting Day - it’s truly an art the way the way such beautiful things are created from the lace.

Interesting quote and meal suggestion.  We have some left over lobster Mac n cheese to finish off tonight.

@puppycanducruisesorry about your snow.  The joys of early spring 😱 

50BC8E4F-F046-4C59-923D-ACA4242E25EE.thumb.jpeg.cfecf7c2a422b20ca82ee8954da69625.jpeg

It’s pouring here and while I’m glad it’s not snow (yet), I fear that the Saint John River won’t be able to handle the deluge.  It already was filling up due to an ice jam and severe flood warnings have been issued.  From a couple of days ago:

A121E344-C3C5-41E8-BB00-8C888152E151.thumb.jpeg.16b1aca6cc59c5575284003cc4595537.jpeg

Looking forward to hearing about the drink of the day - one I’ve never heard of and seeing pics of the port of the day.  We’ve been to New Zealand but not that port.  I can say that the spots we were too there were lovely as were the people 👍 

Prayers for everyone on Roy’s Care list & for those that need them and a 🥂 to those on the Celebratory / Shout Out list.

Have a great April Fool’s Day everyone!  

05BBBC6C-70D6-4BF9-A7E0-1D7047B36CFA.jpeg.0e8eebaf9e3f1441da69dd8da619cbae.jpeg

Stay safe and please don’t forget your masks.

• Like 29

Tatting
Tatting is a technique for handcrafting a particularly durable lace from a series of knots and loops. Tatting can be used to make lace edging as well as doilies, collars, accessories such as earrings and necklaces, and other decorative pieces.Wikipedia
  • Like 16
  • Thanks 4

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich! I am happy every day working at perfecting my retirement skills! Though I love to look at the elegant & intricate results of tatting, I have just enough patience to sew buttons on. So I will celebrate the tatters! Ah, April Fool’s Day.😎

Roy, @rafinmdthank you for our lists. Did you remove gsel for a reason? I truly hope all is well in her world.  Morning Dailyites & my Sisters. Denise, 🥂 for all you have done to help battle the pandemic. Joy, hope you and Allen are enjoying Elvis! The drink does sound sweet. I might try today’s meal with chicken or turkey.  Thought provoking quote.

My Windows are so clean! My pollen had pollen! Gone!  And of course we are supposed to have showers/rain today. Well it is April! Tonight I will be doing something with eggs & veggies. Maybe a frittata. 

Prayers for all who need our support. Sandi hope your DMIL’s feistiness returns. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Stay well everyone!

Pinot Noir fans, this wine might be worth a splurge. After a bit of hunting, I found one distributor offering it for $65. Most others were closer to $100. You just might find it for less locally. I am going to put it on my list with a ? next to it!

#16 of the Wine Enthusiast Top 100 of 2020

97 points Wine Enthusiast

Outer quote mark The Petaluma Gap site shows its innate earthiness in droves here, opening in rose petal aromas before evolving slowly to reveal dense, delicate layers of black tea, orange peel and allspice. The savory tones lead to a midpalate that bursts of rich berries, with soft, supple tannins framing it all. (VB) Inner quote mark (7/2020) 

94 points Wine Spectator

Outer quote mark Refined and elegant, featuring crunchy acidity behind the lively, mineral-infused flavors of spice and crushed red fruit. Medium-grained tannins show on the finish, with hints of pepper and slate, and a dollop of citrusy intensity. (KM) Inner quote mark (6/2020)

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

Good  morning and  thank  you  Rich,for  the  Daily. Roy,  thanks  for  the  shout out regarding  our  upcoming  visit  to  New  Hampshire starting  tomorrow. DH and  I  have  been so  very  careful  for  the  last  year  and  it  is  daunting to attempt  travel  again . Last  night  we  "chatted" with  our  grandchildren online and made  plans  for  our  3  day  stay. Very  exciting!

My grandmother   did  tatting  and  I  have  several  pieces of  her  beautiful  work. My  DD  has several tattoos she  got    in  her  youth...less  said  the  better! Thanks,  Debbie  for the  recipe. It  looks  very  good. I  look  forward  to  New  Zealand  pictures.                 Terry

• Like 19

Today's sunrise is the first from yet another combination.  In 2013 I sailed Queen Elizabeth transatlantic to Southampton, then had several days flying London to Angkor Wat and Japan for a Crystal Symphony trans-Pacific to Vancouver.  April 1 was my first morning out of New York on Queen Elizabeth:

dawn0401.jpg

Roy

• Like 30

Morning everyone.  Happy April Fool's Day to all.  I hope no one plays a trick on me today.  I wish I was talented enough to do something like tatting, or even knitting or crocheting.  All I can manage is cross stitching.  Is there a National Cross Stitch Day?  

We have been to New Zealand several times and enjoyed all the lovely ports and people there.  But never to today's port.  I wonder if any of our Dailyites have ever been there?  Talking about New Zealand reminds me of when DH graduated college with his engineering degree and went to work in Michigan at a huge chemical plant.  They hired lots of engineers from everywhere, even New Zealand.  We met a young couple from New Zealand who had a little boy and a baby girl.  I recall that they brought some sheep skin rugs to Michigan with them and that their baby girl used to sleep on one.  I believe the man's name was John Nelson but can't remember the rest of their names.  We used to do lots of things with them including winter time camping and snowmobiling.  They had a Volkswagen bus that they drove and camped overnight in.  One freezing cold night while out in the woods camping we heard a knock on our truck camper door and there was John saying their heater had gone on the blink and they were going to have to head back home.  There wasn't room in our camper for eight of us so back home they went so they wouldn't freeze to death!  Young and stupid we all were, eh?  I never thought back then we would ever travel to New Zealand but we sure did.  We are truly blessed!

The hospice nurse didn't call or leave anyone any messages yesterday because I'm sure she is overloaded with work lately.  But DH did call and talk with our favorite nurse on DMIL's floor.  She said MIL is not herself.  Yesterday she wasn't hungry, was combative with the staff, and talking to people who weren't there (her sisters and mother who of course are passed on).  Due to phone work going on there the cordless phone wasn't working so he couldn't speak with his Mother, but it sounds like it wouldn't have been a good day to talk.  He will try again today.  We want to hear more about her vision problems.  Thank you all for your prayers for her.  I'm hoping this is just another bump in the road and that it will smooth out again soon.

• Like 19
  • Thanks 4

11 minutes ago, cat shepard said:

Roy, @rafinmdthank you for our lists. Did you remove gsel for a reason? I truly hope all is well in her world.

I hope so too but it's been over 6 months without hearing from her, and I felt it was just time.

Roy

• Like 9

3 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

I hope no one plays a trick on me today.  I wish I was talented enough to do something like tatting, or even knitting or crocheting.  All I can manage is cross stitching.  Is there a National Cross Stitch Day?

You should know by now, there is a day for everything!

http://www.worldcrossstitchday.com/

World Cross Stitch Day - August 13, 2021

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Good morning..  Thank you Rich and Roy for the dedication.  Thank you Debbie for the recipes, and cat shepard for the wine.  I've seen tatting up close and it's beautiful.  I don't have the patience to do that.  Retired so no fun at work.  I totally agree with the quote.  Will pass on the meal suggestion.

Prayers and toasts to our lists.

Stay safe, social distance, and please wear your mask.

S'moretini:

Ingredients
2jiggers vodka
2jiggers Chocolate Liqueur
2-4jiggers half and halfdepends on how strong you want them to be!
1/4cupmarshmallow creme
1/4cupmilk chocolate chips
2graham crackerscrushed

Instructions
Melt marshmallow creme and chocolate chips in a shallow bowl for 1 minute on half power in microwave bowl or over warm water.
Roll outside of glass rim in marshmallow/chocolate chip mixture and then dip into crushed graham crackers. Put in refrigerator to cool.
Fill cocktail shaker or pitcher with 2 cups of ice.
Pour vodka, chocolate liqueur and half and half over ice. Shake well. Pour into cooled, rimmed glass.
Spear marshmallows with toothpicks or long skewer; toast marshmallows over flame and garnish cocktail.

Screen Shot 2021-04-01 at 8.26.12 AM.png

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, richwmn said:

You should know by now, there is a day for everything!

http://www.worldcrossstitchday.com/

World Cross Stitch Day - August 13, 2021

Thank you for looking that up Rich.  That happens to be DH's birthday, too.  I will have to put this on our calendar so I can at least pick up a project and stitch a little in honor of the world-wide celebration.😉XXX

I delved into it a little and found out it's not the same date every year, it's on the second Friday of August so the date varies.  Interesting...

• Like 16

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  Happy April Fool's Day - hopefully nobody tries to prank us.   I've never tatted, but have always admired the intricate work that others have done.  Now that I've put my sewing machine away for a while, I might take a closer look at trying it.  I always tried to have fun at work, and really enjoyed what I did.  I always said when it stopped being fun, it was time to leave, and it was.  Now I have fun at home with DH every day.

@kazuI hope the rain stops soon, or failing that, that Jose is handy with a hammer and saw and can make an ark for you and the doggies!

@StLouisCruisers will continue prayers for your DMIL; it is a worry when you can't be there.

@summer slopethat sounds like a dessert drink that should be offered instead of the little cordials that appear on the BHB's.

I've never tried making burritos, I've always left that to someone in a restaurant, but it might be worth the time to try.  I do prefer @rafinmd's alternate selection, though, but tonight we'll be hitting a drive-through on our way back from my Covid jab.  My appointment isn't until 3:40 this afternoon, so we won't be leaving there until 4:15 at the earliest, and it's a 1.5 hour drive from our city, so I'll let DH buy me my ice cream(in our family you get ice cream if I don't cry when you get a needle), and then add in dinner on top of it.  And wine.  We'll bring it home and enjoy it on our newly cleaned deck - yesterday's activity, getting all the winter dust and dirt and accumulated bags, boxes, etc., put away.

image.png.adefcefce90c078723af2eb84c1975be.png

If you look closely, you can see our first drinks on the deck for 2021 waiting for us - a nice reward after a very productive day.

Prayers for everyone who needs them and even for those who don't think they do.  Raising the wine glasses to celebrate all on the happy list.  Be well, stay safe, wash your hands and wear your mask.

Smooth Sailing!

Gerry

• Like 26