Italian Authorities confirm ban on Cruise Ships from Venice

Snow Hill

Italian authorities have approved a ban on cruise ships entering the historic centre of Venice.

Large ships will now have to dock at the city's industrial port until a permanent solution is found.

No more sailing down Grand Canal for cruise ships, when we sailed through Venice on Oceana in 2017 I did think what damage the ships were possibly doing to the city.  It has been noted that how much clearer the water is since large ships have been restricted during pandemic. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-56592109

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Snow Hill said:

Italian authorities have approved a ban on cruise ships entering the historic centre of Venice.

Large ships will now have to dock at the city's industrial port until a permanent solution is found.

No more sailing down Grand Canal for cruise ships, when we sailed through Venice on Oceana in 2017 I did think what damage the ships were possibly doing to the city.  It has been noted that how much clearer the water is since large ships have been restricted during pandemic. 

They don't fit under the bridges anyway .🤣

8 minutes ago, Snow Hill said:

I suspect the main reason for clearer waters in the Grand canal is due to the much reduced tourist numbers leading to fewer boats rushing about on the Grand Canal, especially as the cruise ships use the giudecca canal to enter the Venice cruise port.

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, Snow Hill said:

Thanks for the video, I did see the headlines on text this morning and thought it may well be a confirmation of previous action.  Does anyone know what is considered to be too large for Venice?  I am wondering if the Azamara ships will still be able to go there for instance, though TBH we would much prefer to visit on a land holiday, well out of season.

The comment the local lady said about being asked, "What time does Venice close" just says it all as it show some people are looking upon it as a theme park.

Edited by tring

6 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Not so good for cruise passengers, but it can only be good for Venice. Can’t see many Venetians losing much sleep over it.

And all the more reason to experience it properly and stay for a few days.

For anyone who does not, nor want to, fly, and would consider an overland trip to Venice to be far too arduous, then visiting on a cruise ship and sailing sedately past St Mark's square, will no longer be possible, and this was certainly the highlight of our cruise which included Venice.

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

For anyone who does not, nor want to, fly, and would consider an overland trip to Venice to be far too arduous, then visiting on a cruise ship and sailing sedately past St Mark's square, will no longer be possible, and this was certainly the highlight of our cruise which included Venice.

I agree entirely, and it’s something I would have loved to do.

But sometimes the greater need to preserve the unique jewel that is Venice has to take priority over the wishes of individuals.

• Like 4

We prefer not to fly and a few years ago visited Venice and Lake Garda by train.However it was a long overnight journey in bunk beds so wouldn't be keen to do it again in a hurry!

Perhaps if it was on the Orient Express!!

Edited by ann141

26 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Not so good for cruise passengers, but it can only be good for Venice. Can’t see many Venetians losing much sleep over it.

And all the more reason to experience it properly and stay for a few days.

We are planning to return to Venice was hoping that it would have been this spring but may be next year. I have visited Venice twice in my life once when I was12, we stayed for 3 days on a educational trip, the second was on the Oceana in 2017 where out visit was curtailed as we were held up by thick fog and didn’t get into port until 3pm, so we had a late afternoon an unscheduled overnight stay and a morning in Venice. It was my wife’s first trip to the city and had the cruise we had booked in 2020 gone ahead we would have visited again.

I am supportive of the decision, should have been done years ago. 

• Like 4

An economic way of seeing Venice is a stay in Lido di Jesolo on the Adriatic.They do a travel card that covers buses,ferries across the lagoon and all the vaps.We did that on one of our drives home.Best of both worlds,beach holiday and cultural.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, tring said:

Thanks for the video, I did see the headlines on text this morning and thought it may well be a confirmation of previous action.  Does anyone know what is considered to be too large for Venice?  I am wondering if the Azamara ships will still be able to go there for instance, though TBH we would much prefer to visit on a land holiday, well out of season.

The comment the local lady said about being asked, "What time does Venice close" just says it all as it show some people are looking upon it as a theme park.

LOL It never closes.  As a treat after recovering from 7 months in hospital undergoing Leukemia treatment my husband got us an apartment overlooking the Rialto bridge. The upper one with the 3 green blinds- Amazing week there as I could just sit on the balcony and watch the world go by and do little strolls when I was up to it.

image.thumb.png.16069144f4c6030121e72be8796349f3.png

One night I couldn't sleep so went out onto the balcony at 3am (out of season in May) and there were still hoard of people on the bridge.  I even saw 1 tour group at 5.00am guide with flag in hand - 5am to 6am was the most amazing time of the day watching the city wake up and the cafes opposite open up 

• Like 12

The Venice authorities are their own worst enemy on this issue. They have been arguing and flip-flopping about it for years and, as mentioned in the article, introduced a ban before which was subsequently overturned.

I absolutely love Venice and in my opinion it is the most beautiful city in the world. Thus, I very much agree that it needs protecting. That means not only from cruise ships but tourism more widely.

I am a little intrigued as to how much protection this measure will give the city as the interim cruise berth(s) will be at Marghera which is the closest point of the mainland to the western end of Venice Island - extremely close to the current cruise terminal. The transfer across by either boat or bus won't take too long but unless a very eco-friendly method of transport is used, there are other issues regarding the environment. Maybe the number of berths will be restricted during this temporary solution, which will obviously help.

Finally, the cynic in me says that this is an easy decision for Venice to make whilst there is almost no tourism taking place. I wonder what will happen once worldwide tourism resumes and Venice misses its 'cruise euros and dollars'...🤔

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Britboys said:

The Venice authorities are their own worst enemy on this issue. They have been arguing and flip-flopping about it for years and, as mentioned in the article, introduced a ban before which was subsequently overturned.

I absolutely love Venice and in my opinion it is the most beautiful city in the world. Thus, I very much agree that it needs protecting. That means not only from cruise ships but tourism more widely.

I am a little intrigued as to how much protection this measure will give the city as the interim cruise berth(s) will be at Marghera which is the closest point of the mainland to the western end of Venice Island - extremely close to the current cruise terminal. The transfer across by either boat or bus won't take too long but unless a very eco-friendly method of transport is used, there are other issues regarding the environment. Maybe the number of berths will be restricted during this temporary solution, which will obviously help.

Finally, the cynic in me says that this is an easy decision for Venice to make whilst there is almost no tourism taking place. I wonder what will happen once worldwide tourism resumes and Venice misses its 'cruise euros and dollars'...🤔

I agree with most of your comments - though I doubt the cruise passengers will be greatly missed.  They're notorious for spending very little money, getting most of their sustenance from the ships.

The tourists they're really looking for are those staying in hotels and spending money eating out and enjoying the city to the full for a few days.  I suspect the loss of cruise ships will create a few more who'll visit the city properly, and the loss of the hoards of cruise day-trippers can only enhance the beauty of the city.

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

I agree with most of your comments - though I doubt the cruise passengers will be greatly missed.  They're notorious for spending very little money, getting most of their sustenance from the ships.

The tourists they're really looking for are those staying in hotels and spending money eating out and enjoying the city to the full for a few days.  I suspect the loss of cruise ships will create a few more who'll visit the city properly, and the loss of the hoards of cruise day-trippers can only enhance the beauty of the city.

I don't disagree in many ways Harry but with the number of cruise ships using the berthing facilities, that in itself will dent the economy. Also, Venice is one of probably only a few cruise destinations where almost 100% of the ship's pax remain in the city (as opposed to visiting other areas on tours) with a high percentage perhaps not returning to the ship for lunch...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Britboys said:

Hi Andrew,IMO I don't think a few extra tenders going across will affect much in a waterway already full of non eco vessels.The main concern was the bow wave and under water displacement eroding at the wooden foundations either side of the canal.The new location will hopefully alleviate this.Cheers,Brian.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bazrat said:

One thing I have noticed those who have actually visited by cruise ship are those most vocal to stop cruise ships stopping there.

We were very fortunate to sail out of Venice 3 times on Royal Caribbean Splendour of the seas which at 77,000 tons was similar in size to Oceana.

We stayed pre cruise twice in Venice hotels and loved Venice which was the birthplace of one of my ancestors during renaissance times.

Venice is one of our favourite sail in and sail out ports and we would love to sail out of Venice again.

Royal Caribbean have moved to Ravenna port which is a 2-4 hour coach journey from Venice airport.

1 hour ago, grapau27 said:

We were very fortunate to sail out of Venice 3 times on Royal Caribbean Splendour of the seas which at 77,000 tons was similar in size to Oceana.

We stayed pre cruise twice in Venice hotels and loved Venice which was the birthplace of one of my ancestors during renaissance times.

Venice is one of our favourite sail in and sail out ports and we would love to sail out of Venice again.

Royal Caribbean have moved to Ravenna port which is a 2-4 hour coach journey from Venice airport.

Been on her twice, nice ship, as Marella Discovery

• Like 2

1 minute ago, davecttr said:

Been on her twice, nice ship, as Marella Discovery

Splendour and Legend as the 2 Discovery ships with plenty of balcony cabins have made a big difference to Marella's cruise ship offerings.

We saw her docked at Newcastle a couple of years ago in her Marella signage.

10 hours ago, Bloodaxe said:

We have sailed in and out of Venice with Azamara with overnight stays in port.

Hopefully Azamara at 30,000 tons may still be allowed in the future 

We like you hope Azamara will be allowed for overnights ... "An Amazing Evening" there would be wonderful! We have been to the city many times and live close enough that we can make short visits when the going is good. A very unique and special atmosphere!

• Like 1