CDC guidelines coming soon?

4 hours ago, Pratique said:

Yes that is the hope, that things will improve. But right now the trends are leveling off when they should be continuing to decline. Since the vaccines appear to be effective, that must mean unvaccinated people with covid fatigue are dropping their guard prematurely and slowing the rate at which the numbers are dropping.

Someone suggested that the CDC data is untrustworthy, so it is ignored

There has always been regional differences. Right now the south is doing better than the northeast. Up here things are getting worse and the states are warning us to not drop our guard just yet. That's all I'm saying, we're not out of the woods yet.

I am. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Pratique said:

Yes that is the hope, that things will improve. But right now the trends are leveling off when they should be continuing to decline. Since the vaccines appear to be effective, that must mean unvaccinated people with covid fatigue are dropping their guard prematurely and slowing the rate at which the numbers are dropping.

Seasonal virus indicators predicted a slight rise in March, followed by a sharp decline in April

If you want to visit any place other than a private island, it's going to be hard not to have proof of a vaccine to get off. You can't get a visa already in a lot of countries around the world without proof of vaccination for a variety of diseases. Covid isn't going to be any different.

The CDC is working off rapidly changing medical data. New variants are developing fast and the vaccines still have not been proven to protect against them. It would be professionally irresponsible to give into the frustrations of commercial enterprises and tourists. Remember, the US has been the most infectious nation with more cases and deaths per capita.

This is a global crisis not an American problem. We all sail when it's safe and protocols have been tested and established from these first early cruises. It will take twice as long to get this right if the CDC is rushed into opening the floodgates without knowing it's OK to do so.

No matter how fast the CDC allows cruises to leave from American home ports, get ready to wear masks, socially distance and abide by the rules of the countries you visit. This thing won't go away until every poor country has vaccinated the majority of their citizens and the world reaches herd immunity.

We are moving a lot faster than any scientist ever thought was possible when this thing first took off. Count your blessings and go ahead and book a future cruise. It might be postponed to a later date but there isn't a penalty for having to cancel either. We are getting closer every day.

Patience is a virtue. Be thankful that you aren't one of the Long Haulers who may never be able to travel again.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

It's funny to me that a ship full of vaccinated people, who are in all effect "quarantined" out at sea can be considered the most at risk group around when others are flying sitting inches apart on a tin can up in the air for hours are just OK?  Not to mention sporting events etc.  Maybe these clowns have never heard the term "COMMON SENSE".  CLIA should know better after 20 years of successful Norovirus cruises.  I just don't get these idjits!  I have confidence that someone somewhere can persuade them how stupid they are behaving and that our Sept. cruise WILL take place.  I'm banking on it.

You can add FUBAR to that phrase....

Edited by BecciBoo
  • Like 6

Dr. Rochelle Paula Walensky (née Bersoff; born April 5, 1969) is an American physician-scientist who is the director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the administrator of the Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry.[1] Prior to her appointment at the CDC, she was the Chief of the Division of Infectious Diseases at Massachusetts General Hospital and a professor of medicine at Harvard Medical School. Walensky is an expert on AIDS and HIV.

She seems competent and capable, rather than political. Maybe Richard Fain needs to sit down with her - one on one - and figure this out. I have 4 RCCL "live" bookings on the line. Like many others, I just want to safely go to sea again. The sooner, the better.

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, NavArch64 said:

Dr. Rochelle Paula Walensky (née Bersoff; born April 5, 1969) is an American physician-scientist who is the director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the administrator of the Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry.[1] Prior to her appointment at the CDC, she was the Chief of the Division of Infectious Diseases at Massachusetts General Hospital and a professor of medicine at Harvard Medical School. Walensky is an expert on AIDS and HIV.

She seems competent and capable, rather than political. Maybe Richard Fain needs to sit down with her - one on one - and figure this out. I have 4 RCCL "live" bookings on the line. Like many others, I just want to safely go to sea again. The sooner, the better.

Very rarely are “academics” able to properly function in a real life environment. 

There is a saying in the professional medical community (perhaps others as well) 

“Those that can, do. Those that can’t, teach”

• Like 3

1 hour ago, BecciBoo said:

It's funny to me that a ship full of vaccinated people, who are in all effect "quarantined" out at sea can be considered the most at risk group around when others are flying sitting inches apart on a tin can up in the air for hours are just OK?  Not to mention sporting events etc.  Maybe these clowns have never heard the term "COMMON SENSE".  CLIA should know better after 20 years of successful Norovirus cruises.  I just don't get these idjits!  I have confidence that someone somewhere can persuade them how stupid they are behaving and that our Sept. cruise WILL take place.  I'm banking on it.

The plane vs ship argument has been beat into the ground. But have you actually looked at the VSP program that monitors norovirus? It would probably be eye opening. 

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, NavArch64 said:

She's political now. She wasn't political last summer when she happily said 3 feet was adequate for school environments.  But quickly became political when she let her agency intentionally misinterpret studies to find that 6 feet was appropriate for schools.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, paulh84 said:

The plane vs ship argument has been beat into the ground. But have you actually looked at the VSP program that monitors norovirus? It would probably be eye opening. 

From 2008 to 2014, 74 million passengers sailed on cruise ships in the Vessel Sanitation Program’s jurisdiction. Only 129,678 passengers met the program’s case definition for acute gastrointestinal illness and only a small proportion of those cases (1 in 10) were part of a norovirus outbreak.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

Very rarely are “academics” able to properly function in a real life environment. 

There is a saying in the professional medical community (perhaps others as well) 

“Those that can, do. Those that can’t, teach”

Those that can do, those that can’t teach, or become politicians 

• Haha 1

The CDC should implement mask wearing on cruise ships and flights and other methods of public transportation forever and never lift that requirement as it is best health practice and just make that stance and draw a line under the issue and say that is the policy end of story.

You would be amazed how much that would reduce the spread of Covid, Cold and Flu within the community.

Edited by ace2542
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, BecciBoo said:

They lie about the noro outbreaks on ships. Most people don't report having noro on a ship they just take immoduim plus. And the ships don't have the ability to test every passenger for that illness.

One case of Covid or Flu on a ship is too many remember that.

11 minutes ago, ace2542 said:

The CDC should implement mask wearing on cruise ships and flights and other methods of public transportation forever and never lift that requirement as it is best health practice and just make that stance and draw a line under the issue and say that is the policy end of story.

You would be amazed how much that would reduce the spread of Covid, Cold and Flu within the community.

But it won't. And hasn't

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, ace2542 said:

You would be amazed at how much Covid there was in my state where EVERYONE wore a mask outside. By your logic, I could argue that almost everything should be banned for safety reasons. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, RoyalC said:

You would be amazed at how much Covid there was in my state where EVERYONE wore a mask outside. By your logic, I could argue that almost everything should be banned for safety reasons. 

What state is your state?

36 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

From 2008 to 2014, 74 million passengers sailed on cruise ships in the Vessel Sanitation Program’s jurisdiction. Only 129,678 passengers met the program’s case definition for acute gastrointestinal illness and only a small proportion of those cases (1 in 10) were part of a norovirus outbreak.

Right. And look at the level of the reporting, surveillance and documentation the cruise lines are required to provide. 

2 hours ago, paulh84 said:

EYE OPENING ??

If this screen shot of planes in flight from earlier today  isn't eye opening nothing is..

These planes are flying with passengers that have passed through long lines at airports that are now almost as busy as pre Covid, DOZENS OF FACEBOOK REPORTS  from major airports confirming crowds, not even temperature checks and a hand wipe given out when boarding planes that are flying with 75 to 100 % capacity., 

If the C.D.C. even attempts to compare Covid transmission while flying to being on a well sanitized ship with immunized crew and passengers we know they are not getting enough oxygen or something..

noon.JPG

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, boscobeans said:

EYE OPENING ??

If this screen shot of planes in flight from earlier today  isn't eye opening nothing is..

These planes are flying with passengers that have passed through long lines at airports that are now almost as busy as pre Covid, DOZENS OF FACEBOOK REPORTS  from major airports confirming crowds, not even temperature checks and a hand wipe given out when boarding planes that are flying with 75 to 100 % capacity., 

If the C.D.C. even attempts to compare Covid transmission while flying to being on a well sanitized ship with immunized crew and passengers we know they are not getting enough oxygen or something..

noon.JPG

Air circulation on planes has shown to be fairly moderate to low risk. 

The eye opening part is the noro protocols they are required to follow. In light of that, if anyone thought the COVID guidelines, mitigation plans and surveillance would simply go away, they are higher than those planes you see flying. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, paulh84 said:

Air circulation on planes has shown to be fairly moderate to low risk. 

The eye opening part is the noro protocols they are required to follow. In light of that, if anyone thought the COVID guidelines, mitigation plans and surveillance would simply go away, they are higher than those planes you see flying. 

I'm sure you are aware that study showing flights low risk was with wearing N95 masks. ..which everyone wears right? Dont believe everything you see so readily. 

I'm the one picking at my mask which makes me itch. And it's not a N95. 

• Like 2