CDC guidelines coming soon?

30 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

Here's the international travel updates.

Doesn't give me any warm fuzzies about a return to cruising.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/international-travel-during-covid19.html

Yeah when you read the domestic part it sounds good  move on to the International part and then not so much

1 hour ago, smokeybandit said:

But science has shown over and over that masks themselves don't work

I looked at the twitter chain.  It's a bit dated, but it illustrates that one can always find plausible-sounding reasons to dump on a scientific study that supports the utility of masks, especially if there is a strong external motivation. 

I typed 'mask effectiveness' into Google Scholar, looked for 2021, found a bunch of studies, and picked this one at random, from the Journal of the American Medical Association.

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/fullarticle/2776536 

This is a meta-analysis that lists 11 studies apparently concluding that masks work.  I'm confident your source could find reasons to deny these results as well.

Edited by Shorewalk Holmes
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Shorewalk Holmes said:

I looked at the twitter chain.  It's a bit dated, but it illustrates that one can always find plausible-sounding reasons to dump on a scientific study that supports the utility of masks, especially if there is a strong external motivation. 

I typed 'mask effectiveness' into Google Scholar, looked for 2021, found a bunch of studies, and picked this one at random, from the Journal of the American Medical Association.

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/fullarticle/2776536 

This is a meta-analysis that lists 11 studies apparently concluding that masks work.  I'm confident your source could find reasons to deny these results as well.

Take a look at those "studies" that aren't even actual structured studies. Just estimates or public polling or circumstantial observations.

3 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

Take a look at those "studies" that aren't even actual structured studies. Just estimates or public polling or circumstantial observations.

I love the phone poll the CDC sited for Covid having long term effects. (they called 2-3 WEEKS after)

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/69/wr/mm6930e1.htm

Idiots

13 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

Here's the table.  Look at the outcomes column.

Your source doesn't seem to like the actual mechanistic lab studies, but I find them even more convincing.  I have taken apart and measured the electrostatic properties of a few masks, but the FDA does extensive testing and certifies many for Covid protection.

Studies of the Effect of Mask Wearing on SARS-CoV-2 Infection Riska

I'm not sure if certain % of the medical profession agrees that vaccinated people cannot transmit or it's simply a protocol that they are following.  I'm due for cataract surgery in both eyes.  I'm required to test for C19 and self quarantine until surgery.  Same process for the 2nd eye.  This is even though I told them that I've had my Moderna shots.

PS.  When I tell tell people that I've had my shots it feels like I'm talking about a dog or cat.😄😄

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Shorewalk Holmes said:

Here's the table.  Look at the outcomes column.

Your source doesn't seem to like the actual mechanistic lab studies, but I find them even more convincing.  I have taken apart and measured the electrostatic properties of a few masks, but the FDA does extensive testing and certifies many for Covid protection.

Studies of the Effect of Mask Wearing on SARS-CoV-2 Infection Riska

Yes, I see a bunch of estimates based on non-scientific collection methods.

3 hours ago, paulh84 said:

Not holding my breath. In the past 2 weeks the 7 day average case count has increase over 18%. 

You need to put statistics into context. The peak in January was more than 250,000 new cases per day. The case count on March 24 (one week ago) was around 57,000 (a 75%+ decline). The case count on March 31 (last day reported by the CDC) was around 61,000. The law of large numbers is at play here - the smaller the baseline number, the more dramatic the percentage change with any change in the raw number. Think of it this way -if you have one dollar, and i give you a second one, your wealth has increased by 100%, but if you have two dollars and i take one away, your wealth only goes down by 50%

As Mark Twain said, there are three types of lies: white lies, damnable lies, and statistics.

Edited by orville99
  • Like 6

5 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

Yes, I see a bunch of estimates based on non-scientific collection methods.

They are certainly scientific methods, and they were convincing to the reviewers of a scientific journal. 

We can't do the horribly immoral but admittedly gold-standard lab study in which randomized groups of mask and no-mask participants were exposed to Covid.

Unless you're an anti-government conspiracy theorist, the fact that the FDA tests and certifies masks for Covid protection should tell you something.  Are they all deluded?

3 minutes ago, livingonthebeach said:

No mention of cruises, just public transportation 

• The CDC released new guidlines about travel for fully vaccinated people
  • Federal health officials advised that fully vaccinated people can safely travel domestically and internationally

• Masks are still required planes, buses, trains, and other forms of public transportation, the CDC points out

1 minute ago, boscobeans said:

No mention of cruises, just public transportation 

• The CDC released new guidlines about travel for fully vaccinated people
  • Federal health officials advised that fully vaccinated people can safely travel domestically and internationally

• Masks are still required planes, buses, trains, and other forms of public transportation, the CDC points out

No they did not mention cruises but it looks like they are easing restrictions for travel in general so I am hopeful that they will update cruising soon.

Because of the potential introduction and spread of new SARS-CoV-2 variants, differences in disease burden and vaccines, and vaccine coverage around the world, CDC is providing the following guidance related to international travel:

• Fully vaccinated people can travel internationally without getting a COVID-19 test before travel unless it is required by the international destination.
  • Fully vaccinated people do not need to self-quarantine after returning to the United States, unless required by a state or local jurisdiction.
  • Fully vaccinated people must still have a negative COVID-19 test result before they board a flight to the United States and get a COVID-19 test 3 to 5 days after returning from international travel.
  • Fully vaccinated people should continue to take COVID-19 precautions while traveling internationally.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, sandebeach said:

I am trying to understand this statement. My question is, do I need a PCR test when returning to the US from our Nassau Adventure cruise in June?

The CDC’s new guidance says fully vaccinated people do not need Covid-19 tests before international travel unless it is required by the international destination and vaccinated people returning from foreign travel do not need to self-quarantine after returning to the United States, unless required by state or local authorities.

Correct - you don't need tests before flying out of the US unless the destination requires it.  But they haven't changed the rules for flying back into the US - you still have to get tested before flying into the US even if vaccinated.  So their "guidance" is intentionally misleading.  They tout the self-quarantine comment but didn't change the January rule at all.

• Like 1

CDC Director Rochelle Walensky, who earlier this week issued an urgent plea to limit travel due to fears of another COVID surge, said Friday that the new guidance is based on studies showing the "real-world'' effectiveness of COVID-19 vaccines.

Vaccinated travelers no longer have to follow the CDC's recommendations to get a COVID-19 test before and after travel unless required by the destination. They still need to wear masks and take other precautions. A person is considered fully vaccinated two weeks after receiving the last recommended vaccine dose.

1 minute ago, LeeW said:

Correct - you don't need tests before flying out of the US unless the destination requires it.  But they haven't changed the rules for flying back into the US - you still have to get tested before flying into the US even if vaccinated.  So their "guidance" is intentionally misleading.  They tout the self-quarantine comment but didn't change the January rule at all.

"Because of the potential introduction and spread of new SARS-CoV-2 variants, differences in disease burden and vaccines, and vaccine coverage around the world, CDC is providing the following guidance related to international travel:

• Fully vaccinated people can travel internationally without getting a COVID-19 test before travel unless it is required by the international destination.
  • Fully vaccinated people do not need to self-quarantine after returning to the United States, unless required by a state or local jurisdiction.
  • Fully vaccinated people must still have a negative COVID-19 test result before they board a flight to the United States and get a COVID-19 test 3 to 5 days after returning from international travel.
  • Fully vaccinated people should continue to take COVID-19 precautions while traveling internationally."

1 minute ago, LeeW said:

So no change. We are still waiting to hear something in writing from Royal to confirm that they will be doing tests on board so that we can fly home from Nassau on disembarkation day. 

17 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

WHat mask is tested and certified by the FDA?  

Here's a good article on selecting and buying approved masks.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/02/17/technology/personaltech/buy-real-n95-mask.html?campaign_id=9&emc=edit_nn_20210216&instance_id=27193&nl=the-morning&regi_id=134553691&segment_id=51792&te=1&user_id=248f9c66d3bf292000660f80ee4d0a1b

In case it's behind a paywall, here's an excerpt:

My journey began on the website for the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. There I found charts of N95 and KN95 masks that the agency has tested, including the make, model number and filtration efficiency.

After some reading, I learned about the trade-offs between the two types of masks. The N95s typically have bands that strap over the back of your head, which is what makes them snug. They can be uncomfortable to wear for long periods.

The KN95s, which the Food and Drug Administration has approved for emergency use by health care workers, have ear loops for a tight fit that is slightly more comfortable than an N95. The downside is that the KN95 leaks a bit more air than an N95.

They recommend the KN-95 made by Powecom.  There's a nonprofit source they recommend to be sure it's a real mask.

• Like 1