Del Rio Mandates Vax

marieps

23 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

Do you mean NCLH is only requiring Vax  for US departures??

Seems  a bit strange that it will not be a  requirement for all cruises 

The current announcement applies only to US cruises...at least that's how the information reads.  It does not say anything specific about non US departures, either way.  I can't see how it would not be extended, but it looks like this announcement is all about trying to satisfy the CDC.

31 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Sorry but that’s not the case.

As it says on the front page of the doc, “SailSafe” is NCLH’s global program and, at least for the immediate future, it includes a mandate that  “All guests and crew must be fully vaccinated, at least 2 weeks prior to embarkation, in order to board.”

This is not unlike O’s passport requirement for “all guests on all itineraries” (regardless of any particular country’s requirements).

I hope you are right, but that's not how I read it.  I would love to be in error here.

33 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

Do you mean NCLH is only requiring Vax  for US departures??

Seems  a bit strange that it will not be a  requirement for all cruises 

37 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Sorry but that’s not the case.

As it says on the front page of the doc, “SailSafe” is NCLH’s global program and, at least for the immediate future, it includes a mandate that  “All guests and crew must be fully vaccinated, at least 2 weeks prior to embarkation, in order to board.”

This is not unlike O’s passport requirement for “all guests on all itineraries” (regardless of any particular country’s requirements).

I re-read the statement, and I think Flatbush is correct, and the mandated vax applies to all cruises, not just US ones.  Mea culpa.

10 hours ago, 1985rz1 said:

The current announcement applies only to US cruises...at least that's how the information reads.  It does not say anything specific about non US departures, either way.  I can't see how it would not be extended, but it looks like this announcement is all about trying to satisfy the CDC.

The  CDC is  only  for USA   so yes in  a sense the  announcement was for  US ports   but   the protocol  would be for all sailings on NCLH  or what would be the point of all the changes to protect pax & crew

• Like 1

12 hours ago, clo said:

Since there's already evidence that counterfeit ones are easily available. So for those who are desperate to cruise may also be desperate to go that route. Now that would **** me off.

You mean like those posters that are saying they're only getting vaccinated where they can cruise? Just a step away from just getting a fake card with that type of attitude. 

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, ORV said:

You mean like those posters that are saying they're only getting vaccinated where they can cruise? Just a step away from just getting a fake card with that type of attitude. 

I wouldn’t worry too much about the card. It will be replaced by a digital requirement like an app. I suggest that everyone now getting vaccinated makes sure that the vaccine info gets loaded by the vaccination site into secure medical records systems like MyChart (which already served 1 million patients) or into their own electronic system - which should be able to “share” info if YOU approve the transfer.

I mention this for two reasons the first of which is that, should you lose/misplace the card, you will have an easily acceptable bona fide proof of vaccination online (e.g., smart phone) in a recognized medical record system). In addition, any future digital vaccination passport may require proof from your existing medical record to get the digital ID.

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

I wouldn’t worry too much about the card. It will be replaced by a digital requirement like an app. I suggest that everyone now getting vaccinated makes sure that the vaccine info gets loaded by the vaccination site into secure medical records systems like MyChart (which already served 1 million patients) or into their own electronic system - which should be able to “share” info if YOU approve the transfer.

I mention this for two reasons the first of which is that, should you lose/misplace the card, you will have an easily acceptable bona fide proof of vaccination online (e.g., smart phone) in a recognized medical record system). In addition, any future digital vaccination passport may require proof from your existing medical record to get the digital ID.

What about all the people who have been vaccinated and don't have a smart phone?

3 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

What about all the people who have been vaccinated and don't have a smart phone?

In all honesty, if you can afford a cruise, you can afford a smart phone. That “I don’t have a phone” or “I don’t know how to use it” is BS.

In addition, on site at embarkation (or in earlier completion of online registration), internet terminals could be made available for individuals (even with assistance from staff) to download/print the necessary single use QR code or whatever else would be required. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

you don't have to have a smart phone to log into MyChart.  I don't have it loaded onto my phone for personal reasons.

I keep nothing in my phone.  In case it's ever stolen I won't freak out....nor does Mr. Wonderful, my resident geek.

It's in my laptop, however, and is the chart information system my doctor uses.

25 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

In all honesty, if you can afford a cruise, you can afford a smart phone. That “I don’t have a phone” or “I don’t know how to use it” is BS.

But you were advocating a requirement to use a vaccine passport in order to get on public transportation.  Does everybody that rides a bus or subway car have those resources?

Edited by Daniel A

6 minutes ago, cbb said:

you don't have to have a smart phone to log into MyChart.  I don't have it loaded onto my phone for personal reasons.

I keep nothing in my phone.  In case it's ever stolen I won't freak out....nor does Mr. Wonderful, my resident geek.

It's in my laptop, however, and is the chart information system my doctor uses.

Correct. As I said, it could be accessed from laptop, hotel business center PC (just like airline boarding passes), embarkation kiosk, etc.

Not meaning to do a commercial for MyChart but, it is probably the most flexible medical records product available and fortunately, all  of our regular healthcare providers use it.

I don’t think I need to elaborate on how important is having quick access to your medical records when you’re thousands of miles away from home.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

But you were advocating a requirement to use a vaccine passport in order to get on public transportation.  Does everybody that rides a bus or subway car have those resources?

Simple enough to get a DL or ID from the State that will have vaccination indicated on it (not unlike how the new Real IDs have an added proof of identity on item).

It’s just a matter of time before enough people have died for authorities to admit “we should’ve been serious about this a year ago.”

BTW: New York is already doing an app.

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

50 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

We choose not to have a smart phone   it is not a matter of  cost

We also choose not to sail in a suite but  it is  a personal choice

YMMV

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

We choose not to have a smart phone   it is not a matter of  cost

We also choose not to sail in a suite but  it is  a personal choice

YMMV

Slice it or dice it however you like. But, digital proof of vaccination will soon fall under the age old adage: “No shirt, no shoes, no service.”

5 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Slice it or dice it however you like. But, digital proof of vaccination will soon fall under the age old adage: “No shirt, no shoes, no service.”

If the Governments  want "digital" proof  then they should provide it  to  the public 

1 hour ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

BTW: New York is already doing an app.

They are.  Also killed many seniors in nursing homes.  BTW, if you're not a New York resident, you're out of luck.  If you're a New York resident and got vaccination outside NY you're out of luck.  Seems very equitable to me.

18 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

They are.  Also killed many seniors in nursing homes.  BTW, if you're not a New York resident, you're out of luck.  If you're a New York resident and got vaccination outside NY you're out of luck.  Seems very equitable to me.

California working on doing a similar app. We already have “CA Notify” for exposure notifications.

It’s just a matter of time.

And then it will be: “You snooze: You lose” when it comes to the inevitability of even tighter restrictions for efficacious public health. 

5 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

California working on doing a similar app. We already have “CA Notify” for exposure notifications.

It’s just a matter of time.

And then it will be: “You snooze: You lose” when it comes to the inevitability of even tighter restrictions for efficacious public health. 

I agree. There's a real need for secure electronic means of verification that people have been vaccinated. It really bothers me that cruise lines while mandating passengers be vaccinated will be accepting a piece of paper that can be forged  by anyone owning a $50 photocopier bought at Staples. If we're going to rely on paper documents couldn't the government at least use special paper with watermarks or security fibers that deter forgery?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Excellent point.  The issue will be the multiple systems that Airlines, Cruise lines and other will use.  IATA Travel Pass may serve a hope if all the airlines stand behind it, but I see Qatar has done their own now.  My future cruise on Quark is using "Yoti", where your COVID record and test results will be stored.

As you suggested the first thing a copy of our shot cards were given to our Primary Care doctor who entered them into his system.   This way he can provide proof of vaccination from his office to any/all that requires it.  He can also add these to our WHO certificate.

23 hours ago, Daniel A said:

He may not be able to sail those out of Florida unless DeSantis tempers his executive order on vaccination requirements for businesses.  

I got the impression that DeSantis was speaking to businesses' employees, not their patrons.

With every State or Country having their own proof of vaccination 

there really needs to be  a Global system  that can be read by every Country  people are travelling to

Just like some Countries attach a digital Visa to your Passport   this could work  for the Proof of Covid Vaccine  along as the person agreed to have it attached

JMO