Will you do anything differently when you travel next?

ilikeanswers

Looking around the site I've read some comments of people saying they'll travel with more medication, never book inside cabins again, only choose refundable bookings and services, stock up on snacks and drinks in cabins and hotel rooms in case of quarantine.

Is there anything you would do differently for post COVID travel?

Yes - I will be increasingly selective of itinerary and size/type of ship.  Of course, it has little to do with Covid;   it is simply a matter of having cruised to most areas I am interested in cruising to, and having gotten tired of the ongoing downgrading of service, food and entertainment on mass market ships. 

• Thanks 1

I think it will depend on the times. For cruises, which are a minority of our vacations, we would never do an inside to begin with...balcony or bust for us, so that won't change. We tend to book fairly last-minute because I travel for a living and my schedule is wonky (usually just a couple weeks out) so, again, not a huge change there. I'll bring extra sanitizer, masks, etc. just in case but won't plan to use them constantly unless something goes wrong. 

So long story short (too late) - probably not, but we already travel very differently than many on this board. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, c-boy said:

No, I'm superstitious, these types of activities could jinx us.

Just looked at your cruise history -- noted your Princess 2008 West Coast of Mexico -- I may have been on board (of course it probably sailed weekly) -- I still recall that open air meat market in Mazatlan (did you see it?)--- it took close to a year to wean my wife back from vegetarianism.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

Just looked at your cruise history -- noted your Princess 2008 West Coast of Mexico -- I may have been on board (of course it probably sailed weekly) -- I still recall that open air meat market in Mazatlan (did you see it?)--- it took close to a year to wean my wife back from vegetarianism.

I grew up in Africa and lived in China for a couple of years in my early/mid-20s. First time I took my wife to a developing country with open air meat, she was definitely horrified. It can be a huge eye opener for those who have grown up just going to the supermarket for packaged meat. 

At this point I'm not yet sure. I will still book an inside cabin depending on itinerary and cost. I'm on the fence regarding wearing a mask when actively traveling in close quarters (airport and cruise terminals and the like...)  I think they are in general more protective toward others than myself, but they likely provide a slight barrier.

Not much else I can think of...

• Thanks 1

Because I am a nurse, I would add to my packing:

Non-contact thermometer

O2 oximeter

N-95 masks plus regular masks

Disinfectant wipes and spray

Extra medication

I would rather be able to monitor myself at all times. 

I would also make sure my insurance covered bankruptcy and pandemic. When this started I did have insurance that did cover these things.  Wonder what will be available now?

Balcony for sure, but then, we always have had a balcony

iPad or computer for everyone in cabin to get latest news, stream movies, play games, read books, etc. I might up-load more books than I would have pre-pandemic. 

Otherwise, I would be fine staying on a ship for a long period of time if necessary, as we have taken some pretty long cruises.  I would hate it if a cruise got cut short because of illness on-board. 🙂

Edited by woldridge
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, LHT28 said:

I might wear  a mask even if not required

We have  contracted Upper respirator  issues on some cruises  maybe the mask would have helped

YMMV

I've thought the same and social distance also.

1 hour ago, navybankerteacher said:

lol... 😄  thank goodness for the Discovery channel 

We love to travel, and can't wait to travel again. 

We will do what ever it takes to travel.

We will follow what ever the cruise lines tells us to do...

We will follow what ever the airlines tells us to do...

We will follow what ever each country we plan to visit tells us to do...

If TSA tells me I have to sing a song to get through security...I would.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, ilikeanswers said:

Looking around the site I've read some comments of people saying they'll travel with more medication, never book inside cabins again, only choose refundable bookings and services, stock up on snacks and drinks in cabins and hotel rooms in case of quarantine.

Is there anything you would do differently for post COVID travel?

I will bring a lot of paper so that I can write a novel in my cabin where I will not have to wear a mask.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

We visited one in Acapulco years ago. After the flies were brushed away it was fine. Bought stuff for dinner.

4 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

I will bring a lot of paper so that I can write a novel in my cabin where I will not have to wear a mask.

Why don't you bring your laptop? Mine weighs practically nothing and only costs about $200.

35 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

After the flies were brushed off it became apparent that it was a calf and not a boar hanging there.

It was terrific. And we were in a group - for a birthday party - and everyone loved it. Maybe West Coast people are just braver than you other folks 🙂

3 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

I have posted numerous times that due to my disabilities I cannot use a computer because the keys are too hard for me to use.

I have a special I-Pad with a special stylus .

Believe it or not, but I don't read everything that you or anyone else posts. But can't you write a book on it?