Will you do anything differently when you travel next?

ilikeanswers

11 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

Just looked at your cruise history -- noted your Princess 2008 West Coast of Mexico -- I may have been on board (of course it probably sailed weekly) -- I still recall that open air meat market in Mazatlan (did you see it?)--- it took close to a year to wean my wife back from vegetarianism.

Yeah, we have been there.  One of my SILs turned a little green.   We were invited to a BBQ cookout by some of the crew.  We couldn't make it and where they might have obtained the ingredients had nothing to do with it.  Haha.    

4 hours ago, clo said:

It was terrific. And we were in a group - for a birthday party - and everyone loved it. Maybe West Coast people are just braver than you other folks 🙂

Or maybe other folk realize where those flies have been walking earlier. They actually are attracted to dung. Love that on my meat.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, clo said:

Why don't you bring your laptop? Mine weighs practically nothing and only costs about $200.

Have you checked the prices of laptops recently. We had to replace ours, and they are much more expensive than they used to be.

Most people who say they are going to change the way they cruise forever are lying. They might do something differently the first time or even the first few times. If we never hear about this stuff again, you mean to tell me a lot of people are going to constantly think about what happened 5-10 years ago? We are in the moment people.

I will not pay more to book a balcony because I'm scared of being locked in an interior for 14 days. That's not going to happen. I'm not going to pay more to get refundable bookings. 

For cruising I'll be bring some n-95 masks to wear along with disinfectant wipes and hand sanitizer. I'll bring more of my meds in case of a quarantine. 

I'll also likely remove my mask and cough a lot more when I encounter chair hogs.  😀

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, ontheweb said:

Have you checked the prices of laptops recently. We had to replace ours, and they are much more expensive than they used to be.

My latest one was this $229 one. Works great.

1 hour ago, navybankerteacher said:

Did you serve very rare burgers?

This was around 30 years ago so I don't remember. But when we had our place in Rio we would buy meat and seafood at the open air markets regularly. It was in Rio that I got the salmonella tainted peanut butter that hadn't been removed from the shelves. Honestly the only reason we bought it was cause it was so unique cause the stores mostly only had Nutella 🙂

Zero plans to do a cruise.   If we get to Greece and/or Cyprus in the fall it will probably be at least a week at a time in self catering accommodation (hopefully) by the sea.  Next winter in Thailand.

• Thanks 1

Cruises are just a secondary vacation for me.  But, I travel solo and I like my solitude.  I won't have much changing to do.  I'm not a social butterfly so I already keep my social distance.  I get a 2-top for my meals. I don't do tours, but go off on my own.   I've seen enough bad behavior from guests this Winter season that I realize that I must be responsible for my own precautions because quite a few don't care.   
Now that I'm only having a few long COVID issues, I'm finally able to get out and about.  I already have a few camping trips planned out, a girlfriend reunion (we all are vaccinated) and I'll be out doing daytrips around the wonderful area that I call home.  

• Thanks 1

On 4/6/2021 at 8:22 AM, woldridge said:

Because I am a nurse, I would add to my packing:

Non-contact thermometer

O2 oximeter

N-95 masks plus regular masks

Disinfectant wipes and spray

Extra medication

I would rather be able to monitor myself at all times. 

I would also make sure my insurance covered bankruptcy and pandemic. When this started I did have insurance that did cover these things.  Wonder what will be available now?

Balcony for sure, but then, we always have had a balcony

iPad or computer for everyone in cabin to get latest news, stream movies, play games, read books, etc. I might up-load more books than I would have pre-pandemic. 

Otherwise, I would be fine staying on a ship for a long period of time if necessary, as we have taken some pretty long cruises.  I would hate it if a cruise got cut short because of illness on-board. 🙂

This is a nice list!  Like you, I prefer balcony cabins as well.  I have never purchased an N-95 mask.  It's said they aren't all that comfortable.  Is that true?  Can you recommend a brand/style  that might be more comfortable than others?  I think I would like this more for aircraft than cruise ships where people are even closer together.

14 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

have posted numerous times that due to my disabilities I cannot use a computer because the keys are too hard for me to use.

I have a special I-Pad with a special stylus .

But based on your previous post in terms of bringing paper onboard you can still write in longhand!  I wish I could.  40+ years of keyboard work has destroyed my ability to use that most traditional of stylus - the pen.  At this point I can barely scrawl out a grocery list...

16 minutes ago, SelectSys said:

This is a nice list!  Like you, I prefer balcony cabins as well.  I have never purchased an N-95 mask.  It's said they aren't all that comfortable.  Is that true?  Can you recommend a brand/style  that might be more comfortable than others?  I think I would like this more for aircraft than cruise ships where people are even closer together.

The problem is that n95 masks are still difficult to get in the U.S., and when you do find them they have the two elastic bands that go around the head which is what makes them uncomfortable.  What is easy and economical to get are kn95 masks, which are made in China. Studies show that the two are pretty comparable in filtering out aerosol particulates, but the difference is that only the n95 masks have been approved by the National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH), the US organization responsible for regulating masks. I have been getting my kn-95 masks from Area Labs - 

KN95 Protective Face Masks Black (20-pack) – Area Labs  They ship from California, not China or arrive in a decent amount of time, and they are often on sale as they are now. They are individually packages and fold flat so easy for packing, unlike N95 masks which can crush down as they are not flat. They have ear loops and fit close to side of face. I have worn them for months and find them comfortable.  They definitely have a better seal than a surgical mask, and they are seamed at the nose which gives you breathing space, and they have an adjustable nose bridge. 

Hope this helps...

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, SelectSys said:

But based on your previous post in terms of bringing paper onboard you can still write in longhand!  I wish I could.  40+ years of keyboard work has destroyed my ability to use that most traditional of stylus - the pen.  At this point I can barely scrawl out a grocery list...

I was being facetious.

2 hours ago, slidergirl said:

Cruises are just a secondary vacation for me.  But, I travel solo and I like my solitude.  I won't have much changing to do.  I'm not a social butterfly so I already keep my social distance.  I get a 2-top for my meals. I don't do tours, but go off on my own.   I've seen enough bad behavior from guests this Winter season that I realize that I must be responsible for my own precautions because quite a few don't care.   
Now that I'm only having a few long COVID issues, I'm finally able to get out and about.  I already have a few camping trips planned out, a girlfriend reunion (we all are vaccinated) and I'll be out doing daytrips around the wonderful area that I call home.  

@slidergirl, I think as a long hauler, you just might find this article interesting.

Some people with 'long Covid' say their symptoms ease after getting vaccine (msn.com)

Have you been vaccinated yet? If so, could this be a reason your symptoms are not as bad as they had been?

On 4/6/2021 at 8:08 AM, navybankerteacher said:

Just looked at your cruise history -- noted your Princess 2008 West Coast of Mexico -- I may have been on board (of course it probably sailed weekly) -- I still recall that open air meat market in Mazatlan (did you see it?)--- it took close to a year to wean my wife back from vegetarianism.

Some 30+ years ago, we visit Mazatlan, recall at the time cruise ship offered an tour, believe they still do to village in the mountains for $100 pp, which was suppose to show cruisers how folks lived 100 years ago, when I visited the open air markets in down town Mazatlan... I thought no one needed to go on a day long tour, just go down town, sewer was a running along the side of the street outside the outdoor market.  

Getting back to op question, I do plan to take a full prescription for any medications, which I have not done in the past, just in case trip is delayed getting back.  Beyond that, it will depend on what changes the cruise lines make to cruises.  We will adjust based on changes, hard to know till the get going again. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ontheweb said:

@slidergirl, I think as a long hauler, you just might find this article interesting.

Some people with 'long Covid' say their symptoms ease after getting vaccine (msn.com)

Have you been vaccinated yet? If so, could this be a reason your symptoms are not as bad as they had been?

I got the second jab a week ago.  But, things have been gradually getting better over the past 4 months.  I know about the info that some are feeling better after the vaccinations.  I do hope that the last of my issues go away quickly now.  

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, slidergirl said:

I got the second jab a week ago.  But, things have been gradually getting better over the past 4 months.  I know about the info that some are feeling better after the vaccinations.  I do hope that the last of my issues go away quickly now.  

Wishing you well. I thought of you when I found that article, and was hoping to find some way to bring it to your attention.

• Thanks 1

Just now, ontheweb said:

Wishing you well. I thought of you when I found that article, and was hoping to find some way to bring it to your attention.

Thanks.  I appreciate you for doing that.   A week out, I still have my GI issues, my cough, my occasional vertigo and my right eye sometimes goes fuzzy.  But, I'm still far better than many of the other Long haulers.  

• Thanks 1

Our answer to the topic is , Yes!  And we have already adjusted our travel to the current world situation.   In better times we would now be cruising (for over a month) in Asia.  But soon we will be flying down to an excellent All-inclusive in Mexico (we recently returned from living in Mexico for 10 weeks).  And I suspect that our next trip to Europe will be to fly to Greece (if it opens) and then spend a few weeks on 2 or 3 of our favorite Greek Islands.  

The cruise industry has been badly wounded by COVID.  Even as it restarts (which may not happen in the USA for months or years) there are going to be many changes that will be a detriment to the cruise experience that used to be a major part of our lives.  So now, I think for the next 2-3 years things will strongly favor extended land trips where one has a lot more control over itinerary, dining, rules, etc.  We still have 3 booked cruises in the next year (14, 16, and 28 day) but I will not dare to think any of them happen (due to the cruise lines cancelling).  On the other hand I am very optimistic that we will be doing some interesting land trips.  It is just a matter of being flexible and taking advantage of opportunities as they open.  Our upcoming AI trip is an example as we got an amazing last minute deal on a high end AI.  In a sense it is like being on a cruise ship based on land although we do get constant access to beaches and 8 restaurants.

Hank

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/7/2021 at 4:05 PM, Hlitner said:

Our answer to the topic is , Yes!  And we have already adjusted our travel to the current world situation.   In better times we would now be cruising (for over a month) in Asia.  But soon we will be flying down to an excellent All-inclusive in Mexico (we recently returned from living in Mexico for 10 weeks).  And I suspect that our next trip to Europe will be to fly to Greece (if it opens) and then spend a few weeks on 2 or 3 of our favorite Greek Islands.  

The cruise industry has been badly wounded by COVID.  Even as it restarts (which may not happen in the USA for months or years) there are going to be many changes that will be a detriment to the cruise experience that used to be a major part of our lives.  So now, I think for the next 2-3 years things will strongly favor extended land trips where one has a lot more control over itinerary, dining, rules, etc.  We still have 3 booked cruises in the next year (14, 16, and 28 day) but I will not dare to think any of them happen (due to the cruise lines cancelling).  On the other hand I am very optimistic that we will be doing some interesting land trips.  It is just a matter of being flexible and taking advantage of opportunities as they open.  Our upcoming AI trip is an example as we got an amazing last minute deal on a high end AI.  In a sense it is like being on a cruise ship based on land although we do get constant access to beaches and 8 restaurants.

Hank

Wonderful news Hank. We are headed to Riviera Maya golf resort next month.