What about the buffets

rhsjr

I wouldn't mind if many items were plated and covered in saran wrap for a quick grab and go in the buffet. Desserts would be easy and other cold food items. Hot foods would still need a server. Anything that speeds up the time in line would be beneficial.

There are so many options available for dining on any Princess ship, so there will be something for everyone.  We don’t love the buffet experience, but I know lots of people who dislike the MDR and love the buffet.  Once onboard, I think we’ll all just relax and embrace whatever changes there might be.

• Like 4

I'm not a fan of the buffets especially on the grand class ships. It's not because of germs it's because it's an unorganized herd of passengers bouncing from station to station in a disorderly fashion. I don't like walking around looking for a table and I don't like having to get up and back on line for the next course. Breakfast is the worst time to go to the buffet. Our last cruise was on Royal Caribbean. We woke up early each day which was later than when we wake up normally and enjoyed breakfast in the MDR. They had waiter service as well as a nice buffet. The food arrived hot and we didn't have to hunt for a table. The only thing I like in the buffet is a salad and fruit in the afternoon on a sea day.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, caribill said:

That might work for some, but not for me.

a) I do not have a cell phone and will not lug a laptop computer to the buffet to be able to order the food.

b) In a buffet, knowing what the food looks like (not just its menu name) is important to me. Pointing to what I want on a plate works for me.

Maybe they need to set up a kiosk for ordering electronically like they have in Panera and other fast food establishments.  We place orders from the apps on the phone all of the time now. You order, you pay and then you just walk in and pick it up or select curbside service. I hope curbside service doesn't disappear after the pandemic has.

• Like 1

We were on the last sailing of the Regal Princess in March 2020 out of Ft Lauderdale. Entering the buffet they had hand washing stations, 3 sinks at each entrance plus hand sanitizer stations. Staff served you from the various buffet bars. I don’t remember them taking plate to your table. They may have brought silverware to table, just don’t remember. All seemed very smooth. Don’t know if they have retrofitted Grand class ships with hand washing stations. We will find out in February on our next cruise on the Caribbean Princess. 

28 minutes ago, philv said:

We were on the last sailing of the Regal Princess in March 2020 out of Ft Lauderdale. Entering the buffet they had hand washing stations, 3 sinks at each entrance plus hand sanitizer stations. Staff served you from the various buffet bars. I don’t remember them taking plate to your table. They may have brought silverware to table, just don’t remember. All seemed very smooth. Don’t know if they have retrofitted Grand class ships with hand washing stations. We will find out in February on our next cruise on the Caribbean Princess. 

Hand washing stations are an illusion of cleanliness. If you watch people washing they don't use friction with soap and water for a full 20 seconds, if they did only 2-3 people per minute would complete the task and the line wouldn't move fast enough. Sanitizing dispensers make more sense. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, cruzsnooze said:

Hand washing stations are an illusion of cleanliness. If you watch people washing they don't use friction with soap and water for a full 20 seconds, if they did only 2-3 people per minute would complete the task and the line wouldn't move fast enough. Sanitizing dispensers make more sense. 

Or how about the people who just walk through and don't even stop to wash their hands?

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

Or how about the people who just walk through and don't even stop to wash their hands?

What difference does that make if they're not really taking the time to wash properly? I think the hand sanitizer should be enforced which doesn't have the margin of error that washing does.

• Like 1

Just now, cruzsnooze said:

What difference does that make if they're not really taking the time to wash properly? I think the hand sanitizer should be enforced which doesn't have the margin of error that washing does.

Enforced? Does Princess do that now?

• Like 1

Just now, Iamcruzin said:

Enforced? Does Princess do that now?

No they don't but they should. At least we know if they used a proper sanitizer it would kill the germs that cause noro which is the major issue with buffets. NCL has a crew member at the door with the spray bottle of sanitizer and sprays everyones' hands. 

5 hours ago, dog said:

I have seen a few too many things that have turned me off. 

- not using wash basins, sanitizer as they enter after holding railings etc 

- picking up items & putting them back ie: dinner rolls, fruit, cutlery

- coughing in close proximity to others and towards food without covering mouth

- knowing someone on-board with noro virus  at beginning of cruise, was sending his spouse to buffet to get him food— he was posting on here telling us how he got around ship’s rules. — spouse had been told not to do this.  She ended up in cabin and missed her tour of Egypt. 

I don't spend time watching others, I prefer to watch the sea view.  I have not gotten sick in years.  I don't use the public restrooms, I go back to my cabin instead, get more exercise.  I also set the temperature in my cabin at the lowest setting for heat when I go to bed, so I don't have air conditioning cool air blowing over the bed at night.  These two actions keep me and my dh healthy on cruises, prior to doing so we use to get colds.  

Every one does what they think is best for them.  As I say I have no problem with the buffet.

1 hour ago, cruzsnooze said:

The sanitizers are better than nothing, but not nearly as effective as the hand washing with hot water for the correct amount of time.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Iamcruzin said:

Maybe they need to set up a kiosk for ordering electronically like they have in Panera and other fast food establishments. 

Imagine 100 people who still have VCRs at home flashing "12:00"...

I know I will be in line behind them at a kiosk.

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

19 hours ago, rhsjr said:

Just curious.  With Covid-19, what is Princess doing with the buffets?

NCL back in February 2020 when this all started closed em down then re-opened them and servers put on your plate what you pointed to.  Was well done IMO based on the fact they had zero preparations time.  

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, caribill said:

The sanitizers are better than nothing, but not nearly as effective as the hand washing with hot water for the correct amount of time.

I look at washing/ sanitizing hands when entering buffet, the same way I do with wearing a mask- to protect others, as well as, yourself   I do care about spreading germs. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cruzsnooze said:

They need both.   There are plenty of people that know how to wash their hands.  Especially now.    There are still a select few that can't use the sanitizers and should have the option also.   My only problem with the washing stations is water gets all over the surrounding floor which makes it a safety hazard.  Poor placement of the towel dispenser.   

On 4/7/2021 at 1:45 PM, rhsjr said:

Just curious.  With Covid-19, what is Princess doing with the buffets?

I have seen some postings of other cruise ships that are currently sailing & here’s what they did. Princess will probably do the same. 

1. When you enter the buffet area there is a machine that you stand in front of that takes your temperature. 

2.  Then you proceed to a hand washing station. After that a hand sanitizer. All of this monitored by a staff person. 

3.  The buffet stations have a server that puts whatever you want onto a plate. No self service. 

4.  Of course masks required except when eating or drinking. 

5.  Tables socially distance. 

6.  Staff provides silverware, napkins etc & brings you drinks. 

Sometimes I have just walked through the buffet going somewhere, but not getting any food, I would imagine the same procedures. 

Tom😀

• Thanks 1

Directly from Princess (I bolded the relevant sentence):
https://www.princess.com/plan/cruise-with-confidence/cruise-health/covid-19-guest-protocols/

COVID-19 Guest Protocols

Updated March 4, 2021

Princess Cruises is in the process of finalizing all required COVID-19 protocols for guests. Below are the measures currently planned, which are subject to change as further details are established. They will be updated in accordance with guidance from public health authorities.

Personal Hygiene

Guests will be encouraged to use the hand-washing sinks and hand sanitizer dispensers at venue entrances and in high-traffic areas throughout the ship. Guests will be asked to follow health information about the ways to stay healthy on board and when ashore through daily programming, entertainment systems, announcements, in-stateroom literature and our app. There will be no self-service for meals. We'll do the serving for you.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, caribill said:

On HAL the salads (at least in 2019) were not self-serve. Passengers stood in a line for the salad bar and told the service what they wanted in their salad bowl.

In the HAL concept, each station had its own little line in about a six-foot area. If you wanted foods from four areas, you stood in four lines to get the food put onto your plate.

But not all HAL buffet items pre-pandemic were sereved to you. Items such as apples, oranges and bananas were in self-service bowls. Pre-made sandwiches were on the counter for passengers to access. Desserts such as pies and cakes were pre-sliced and on plates that the passengers reached for themselves. At breakfast, milk cartons are there for passengers to take.

But even with HAL type service stations in the buffet, there is a problem if six-foot separation between passengers is required. If there are 10 people in line for the salad bar, that would mean a line 54 feet long where the counter is probably no longer than 15 feet. For the individual stations that are all in a row and are about six feet wide, there is no room for a line of more than one person at each station.

It has been a while since I was on HAL, maybe 5 years, believe we did a TA.  We always do Room Service for breakfast, probably did buffet late afternoon when not crowded.  My dh and I only eat 2 meals a day, so if we go to the buffet we skip the MDR.   Do the same on all ships.  We like to avoid crowds do find that works out well, never a line when we go.   

HAL does a nice job of Room Service.  Hope  other lines begin to do the same.  on HAL we can get a full breakfast, even on last day on the ship from Room Service..  

9 hours ago, caribill said:

The "washy washy" team on NCL were/are epic!

49 minutes ago, Mo Jito said:

Directly from Princess (I bolded the relevant sentence):
https://www.princess.com/plan/cruise-with-confidence/cruise-health/covid-19-guest-protocols/

COVID-19 Guest Protocols

Updated March 4, 2021

Princess Cruises is in the process of finalizing all required COVID-19 protocols for guests. Below are the measures currently planned, which are subject to change as further details are established. They will be updated in accordance with guidance from public health authorities.

Personal Hygiene

Guests will be encouraged to use the hand-washing sinks and hand sanitizer dispensers at venue entrances and in high-traffic areas throughout the ship. Guests will be asked to follow health information about the ways to stay healthy on board and when ashore through daily programming, entertainment systems, announcements, in-stateroom literature and our app. There will be no self-service for meals. We'll do the serving for you.

Yep

2 hours ago, Mo Jito said:

Personal Hygiene

Encouraged... as in we will look the other way. 

Edited by Iamcruzin
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

As in when the buffet opens @ 11.30am for lunch, 500 starving pax rush in for a feed, straight past the wash bowls, of which from memory there are four?  No lining up for washy, washy, they might pass out from hunger, lol.

• Haha 1

Hi to all my Cruise Critic friends,

I seen to many people doing some crazy things at the buffet. Just to many to even mention.

I stopped going a long time ago and I don’t care what changes Princess makes. 
Now that’s just me. So to the people who like buffets enjoy!!

Tony

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Iamcruzin said:

Can you imagine what would happen if you could not enter the buffet area unless you used the wash & sanitizer. You would need the ships security at those stations. 

Tom😀

• Haha 1