What about the buffets

rhsjr

43 minutes ago, Lucky TGO said:

Hi to all my Cruise Critic friends,

I seen to many people doing some crazy things at the buffet. Just to many to even mention.

I stopped going a long time ago and I don’t care what changes Princess makes. 
Now that’s just me. So to the people who like buffets enjoy!!

Tony

Curious....What about the International Cafe?  For people that don’t use the buffet what do you think about that venue?

Tom😀

6 minutes ago, trbarton said:

Curious....What about the International Cafe?  For people that don’t use the buffet what do you think about that venue?

Tom😀

Hi Trbarton,

I have gone to the IC and it’s very good. The thing I like is no one can Touch anything everything is behind glass.  See Photo’s 
Tony

B4725BC0-87D5-40DD-8D41-94A49C11E496.jpeg

D355C5DF-DED8-47FF-8E42-8C3E34183C56.jpeg

8671AAFF-4B9D-40A7-90D1-8CA7EA2E52C2.jpeg

6E66EDD7-AC96-4C30-9E4C-96857504689B.jpeg

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, Lucky TGO said:

Hi Trbarton,

I have gone to the IC and it’s very good. The thing I like is no one can Touch anything everything is behind glass.  See Photo’s 
Tony

B4725BC0-87D5-40DD-8D41-94A49C11E496.jpeg

D355C5DF-DED8-47FF-8E42-8C3E34183C56.jpeg

Same here   think alike. 
like the soup and service at IC. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, trbarton said:

Tom😀

The stuff that they have at the IC isn't really a meal.  It is just snacks.

DON

• Like 2

3 hours ago, pris993 said:

It has been a while since I was on HAL, maybe 5 years, believe we did a TA.  We always do Room Service for breakfast, probably did buffet late afternoon when not crowded. 

I do not know about 5 years ago, but HAL buffets in 2019 were closed from 2 PM until open for dinner at 5:30 PM. Thus a late afternoon buffet when not crowded is no longer possible.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, donaldsc said:

The stuff that they have at the IC isn't really a meal.  It is just snacks.

DON

Soup, panini, salad perfect for my lunch. So, I really wanted to keep it a secret. I think it was on the Crown that they sold gelato there too, while other items are included, I believe. 

9 minutes ago, dog said:

Soup, panini, salad perfect for my lunch. So, I really wanted to keep it a secret. I think it was on the Crown that they sold gelato there too, while other items are included, I believe. 

Crown, Emerald and Ruby

On 4/8/2021 at 7:38 AM, SinbadThePorter said:

Just speculation, but I wonder if this could be done with OceanMedallion and the onboard app?

Put up a menu on the app, select some items, have them delivered directly to you at your table. No queueing. Maybe only allowing orders to be made by people inside the Horizon Court or Marketplace.

I seem to recall MSC or someone similar doing this for their MDR.

THAT is a great idea.

7 hours ago, trbarton said:

Can you imagine what would happen if you could not enter the buffet area unless you used the wash & sanitizer. You would need the ships security at those stations. 

Tom😀

I don't know how many times I have read on Cruise Critic that someone is allergic to hand sanitizer. Probably the same people who hoarded it during the pandemic. 

• Haha 1

I thought the hand washing stations outside of buffets on the Regal Princess were very effective. Most people used them and the ones who didn’t typically used hand sanitizer stations. At peak times it created a bit of a line but no more so than lines typical of buffets. Seems like a highly effective health measure that can be easily implemented. 

• Like 2

The stuff that they have at the IC isn't really a meal.  It is just snacks.

I don't consider it snacks!  For lunch, a sandwich, soup and salad.  IC for breakfast and lunch.  I can control my eating habits better if I skip the buffet, not a fan.  Haven't been to ship buffet in years. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, susancruzs said:

The stuff that they have at the IC isn't really a meal.  It is just snacks.

I don't consider it snacks!  For lunch, a sandwich, soup and salad.  IC for breakfast and lunch.  I can control my eating habits better if I skip the buffet, not a fan.  Haven't been to ship buffet in years. 

I would love to get every meal from the IC. But my DH likes a nice dining room breakfast & dinner.  

• Like 1

Breakfast in the dining room isn't enjoyable to me.  I've tried it, but being a diner type person, want the whole thing, all at once and hot.  It's seemed too piece meal for me.  Since I lost weight don't need big meals at breakfast and lunch.

Self preservation, watching my weight, easier if I eat one meal in the dining room, rest at the IC.  I'm on board for 14 days or more and prefer not to gain any weight.

9 hours ago, dog said:

Yes

• Like 1

2 hours ago, susancruzs said:

Breakfast in the dining room isn't enjoyable to me.  I've tried it, but being a diner type person, want the whole thing, all at once and hot.  It's seemed too piece meal for me. 

Agree. And if you are at a shared table you get served at the pace of the slowest eater who has the most courses, just as at dinner.

I tell the server that we need to be served as soon as our selections are available, not when other people are ready for theirs. Sometimes it works, sometimes it does not.

We do use the dining room for breakfast on disembarkation day to avoid the zoo in the buffet. On that morning the server's goal is to get you out of the dining room as fast as possible.

15 hours ago, Lucky TGO said:

Hi to all my Cruise Critic friends,

I seen to many people doing some crazy things at the buffet. Just to many to even mention.

I stopped going a long time ago and I don’t care what changes Princess makes. 
Now that’s just me. So to the people who like buffets enjoy!!

Tony

You might be surprised at what goes on behind the wall in the MDR and other places serving meals...  It is an illusion of safety to presume everything is done with cleanliness in mind.  Just those entrees sitting around under heat lamps...  Yuck!  

15 minutes ago, caribill said:

We do use the dining room for breakfast on disembarkation day

pre-covid ... we used to eat very lite on disembarkation day, and wanted to get off the ship as soon as possible to start the drive back ( PE/FLL )... now, maybe not so much - we may want to somewhat linger on the ship , outside our cabin, of course , as we now don't really have a reason to rush back home... RIP our little buddy, would have been 16 years old today , but passed a little before his 14th - now he's just enjoying hanging and playing on the other side of "The Rainbow Bridge"

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

IMHO we need a "new rule!"  Pick your eatery and stay there for all meals, except for specialty restaurants.  All you people who crowd into the buffet area for breakfast and lunch and then demand to be served for dinner are ruining it for those of us who really enjoy the wide selections (on Royal class ships) and choices of ethnic foods available for the evening meals (and for lunch).  The truly best places to eat in the evenings is the buffet.  Lots of choice, few people, its very quiet and a table to watch the sea go by is readily available.  Plus it can be timed to get to the evening shows without hassle.  :classic_smile:

30 minutes ago, Globehoppers said:

IMHO we need a "new rule!"  Pick your eatery and stay there for all meals, except for specialty restaurants.  All you people who crowd into the buffet area for breakfast and lunch and then demand to be served for dinner are ruining it for those of us who really enjoy the wide selections (on Royal class ships) and choices of ethnic foods available for the evening meals (and for lunch).  The truly best places to eat in the evenings is the buffet.  Lots of choice, few people, its very quiet and a table to watch the sea go by is readily available.  Plus it can be timed to get to the evening shows without hassle.  :classic_smile:

Sounds Perfect for You!

• Like 1

I really love churrascarias, like Fogo de Chao. These places are built around their buffets and roaming servers. When we went to one post-COVID, they no longer allowed people near the buffet. Instead, they had roaming servers with trays showing the dishes and serving small tasting portions. If you liked it and wanted more, you could ask your waiter to bring you bigger portions.

I could see cruise lines implementing something like that.

On 4/9/2021 at 2:00 PM, trbarton said:

Can you imagine what would happen if you could not enter the buffet area unless you used the wash & sanitizer. You would need the ships security at those stations. 

Tom😀

And the SWAT teams lol.