BUMMER: PORT AUTHORITY OF NY & NJ

Ugh... I hope this isn't true. If there's any updates to this can someone please post? I am going to have to take the nonrefundable hit and book an all inclusive if this actually happens. 

4 hours ago, mets07 said:

I can only comment on my recent experience in New Jersey.  I applied for a vaccine on Saturday (April 3), and got a text the next day, Sunday, to make an appointment. The first available appointments were for Tuesday and I received the first shot that day. So it was a few days from request to vaccine. 

Maybe in NJ it is best to apply to other than drug store chains. I applied to two hospitals in my county and they both responded within a couple days. 

The drug stores (as you said) had no appointments available. Perhaps others in other counties have had different experiences. 

Best wishes and best health to everyone. 

I have friends still trying with both the state website and drug stores. It's getting better but now 16 and over are eligible so there is still a back up. 

4 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

I have friends still trying with both the state website and drug stores. It's getting better but now 16 and over are eligible so there is still a back up. 

Tell your friends to go on CVS site at midnight.  Usually a lot of appointments open up.  Or try the mega sites in each county.  I was able to snag older relatives many appointments.  I also have been successful getting 50 plus years appts.  My 21 yr old who will be starting his hospital internship next month just got j&j.  As long as they aren't fussy about which vaccine.  Some of my friends who work in schools asked me for help and only wanted j&j.  That's the hardest one.

• Like 4

15 hours ago, MommaBear55 said:

The statement from the governor says "does business in Florida" and corporate headquarters are in Florida. Not being a lawyer who specializes in business law, I don't know where the company falls on the side of that ruling. 

I expect that use of the cruise terminal may qualify as doing business.

On 4/8/2021 at 6:44 PM, Lady Hudson said:

I will wait for the official announcement.  IMHO this would be a stupid decision to be made so far in advance.  I think the vaccines are helping a lot.  But if NY and NJ want to shoot themselves in the foot there is nothing we can do.  Katherine

Isn't that their normal Modus Operandi?

• Like 1

On 4/9/2021 at 7:07 PM, rjrpar said:

If I were you, I’d worry a lot more about NJ than Florida. Look at the Covid death rates of those 2 states.  

That's the point.  There is a reason Murphy put a pause on any further reopening.  I highly doubt cruising is currently on the governments radar in NJ.

29 minutes ago, vandals04 said:

That's the point.  There is a reason Murphy put a pause on any further reopening.  I highly doubt cruising is currently on the governments radar in NJ.

Right. And in the general scheme of things cruises are of little impact to the economy of New Jersey, New York or Maryland. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

Right. And in the general scheme of things cruises are of little impact to the economy of New Jersey, New York or Maryland. 

There isn't any incentive for cruise lines to bring ships here either.  They should keep the ships in Europe where sailings are happening. Desantis is just making things worse for Florida with his lawsuit and his anti vaccine position. He and the Senators should be working with the cruise lines figuring out a game plan and building quarantine facilities as per the CDC guidelines should there be a covid outbreak on a cruise ship. It seems to me they have more to gain from the cruise industry than any other state in the country.

• Like 1

On 4/8/2021 at 5:16 PM, Iplayslots said:

My brother works for the PANYNJ. He works at Port Newark in logistics and marshaling.  He told me they were going over reopening of non public ship terminals for both NY & NJ.  Someone asked about the NYC & Port Liberty cruise ship terminals.  They were told they will remain shuttered until 2nd quarter 2022.  All sailings of passenger vessels have been cancelled until then at minimum.   They expect this to be a press release by 5/1.

My brother, sisters, wifes, dogs best friend told me the same thing. I am sure it’s correct because everything we write here is fact. 
The truth is there is no cruising happening from anywhere in USA in the short future and in the long future if you are in a lock down state. I don’t need some person relative who is un-named to state this. 
Now to say there is nothing for 1 year - I will wait for some official announcement over some “insider” information. 

13 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

There isn't any incentive for cruise lines to bring ships here either.  They should keep the ships in Europe where sailings are happening. Desantis is just making things worse for Florida with his lawsuit and his anti vaccine position. He and the Senators should be working with the cruise lines figuring out a game plan and building quarantine facilities as per the CDC guidelines should there be a covid outbreak on a cruise ship. It seems to me they have more to gain from the cruise industry than any other state in the country.

I don’t mean to take away from what you are saying - But Desantis took the vaccine and gave it to his family, so I am unsure how he is anti-vaccine.
He is keeping his state open which people are not forced to visit or not wear a mask if they so chose to do so there. The cruise-lines seem to have a friend in him more than any of the blue northeast Governors. Also  building quarantine facilities is admitting cruising is not safe and that they should not be going out. Anyone who believes this is a good idea needs to stay off a ship. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Stick93 said:

I don’t mean to take away from what you are saying - But Desantis took the vaccine and gave it to his family, so I am unsure how he is anti-vaccine.
He is keeping his state open which people are not forced to visit or not wear a mask if they so chose to do so there. The cruise-lines seem to have a friend in him more than any of the blue northeast Governors. Also  building quarantine facilities is admitting cruising is not safe and that they should not be going out. Anyone who believes this is a good idea needs to stay off a ship. 

I read here that he doesn't want the cruise lines to make vaccines mandatory in order to board a cruise ship. He was also the one who kept cruise ships with an outbreak from coming into port to disembark passengers last year. This one of the reasons that the CDC wants a plan should this happen again. Chances are if all passengers and crew aren't vaccinated it could happen again.  Anyone who is willing to get on a cruise ship full of unvaccinated passengers better be prepared for the worse.

Edited by Iamcruzin
  • Like 5

Just now, Iamcruzin said:

I read here that he doesn't want the cruise lines to make vaccines mandatory in order to board a cruise ship. He was also the one who keep cruise ships with an outbreak from coming into port to disembark passengers last year. This one of the reasons that the CDC wants a plan should this happen again. Chances are if all passengers and crew aren't vaccinated it could happen again.  Anyone who is willing to get on a cruise ship full of unvaccinated passengers better be prepared for the worse.

But the ships sailing now don’t have this mandate and nothing has happened- 

The cruise lines are free to decide if they want to make people vaccinate or not. 

Ships that leave from Florida will have to return to Florida. Ships that leave other ports or countries are not their problem. Last year you had ships that did not leave from the US want to come back to the US with covid - sorry but it’s not so simple. If a ship from Bermuda has an out break which could happen even with vaccine (less likely albeit) will NY/NJ take that ship into its port?? Don’t think so. 

5 minutes ago, Stick93 said:

But the ships sailing now don’t have this mandate and nothing has happened- 

The cruise lines are free to decide if they want to make people vaccinate or not. 

Ships that leave from Florida will have to return to Florida. Ships that leave other ports or countries are not their problem. Last year you had ships that did not leave from the US want to come back to the US with covid - sorry but it’s not so simple. If a ship from Bermuda has an out break which could happen even with vaccine (less likely albeit) will NY/NJ take that ship into its port?? Don’t think so. 

Those ship are sailing to nowhere with passengers from the same country.  That can't happen here. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

Those ship are sailing to nowhere with passengers from the same country.  That can't happen here. 

Cruises to nowhere were done from the US in the past but highly unlikely(?) to happen these days.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

I read here that he doesn't want the cruise lines to make vaccines mandatory in order to board a cruise ship. He was also the one who kept cruise ships with an outbreak from coming into port to disembark passengers last year. This one of the reasons that the CDC wants a plan should this happen again. Chances are if all passengers and crew aren't vaccinated it could happen again.  Anyone who is willing to get on a cruise ship full of unvaccinated passengers better be prepared for the worse.

Proclaimed vaccine passports illegal.  You must do business with someone who refuses to be vaccinated.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mugtech said:

Proclaimed vaccine passports illegal.  You must do business with someone who refuses to be vaccinated.

1 hour ago, Ourusualbeach said:

That has yet to be determined in the case of cruise ships where it may be a condition of one of the countries that they visit.  

Yes, some legal opinions I've seen say that under the EUA act, if the Secretary of HHS specifically addresses the issue of the "consequences" of refusing the vaccine (i.e. not being able to use businesses that require it), then the businesses can have that right.

And, the Florida ban on "Vaccine Passports" is different than requiring proof of vaccination.

Edited by chengkp75
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

Yes, some legal opinions I've seen say that under the EUA act, if the Secretary of HHS specifically addresses the issue of the "consequences" of refusing the vaccine (i.e. not being able to use businesses that require it), then the businesses can have that right.

And, the Florida ban on "Vaccine Passports" is different than requiring proof of vaccination.

Florida ban is also about requiring proof of vaccination.

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. – Sticking to his promise, Gov. Ron DeSantis signed an executive order Friday effectively banning the use of vaccine passports in Florida.

The executive order prevents any Florida government entity from issuing a vaccine passport to prove that a person has been vaccinated for COVID-19. The order also bans businesses in Florida from requiring customers to provide COVID-19 vaccine documentation to gain access or services.

The order says “requiring so-called COVID-19 vaccine passports for taking part in everyday life — such as attending a sporting event, patronizing a restaurant, or going to a movie theater — would create two classes of citizens based on vaccination.”

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, sandebeach said:

Florida ban is also about requiring proof of vaccination.

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. – Sticking to his promise, Gov. Ron DeSantis signed an executive order Friday effectively banning the use of vaccine passports in Florida.

The executive order prevents any Florida government entity from issuing a vaccine passport to prove that a person has been vaccinated for COVID-19. The order also bans businesses in Florida from requiring customers to provide COVID-19 vaccine documentation to gain access or services.

The order says “requiring so-called COVID-19 vaccine passports for taking part in everyday life — such as attending a sporting event, patronizing a restaurant, or going to a movie theater — would create two classes of citizens based on vaccination.”

Still says nothing about the cruise lines that may be forced to comply with other countries requirements. 

5 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Still says nothing about the cruise lines that may be forced to comply with other countries requirements. 

I agree and that may be ok from the Governor's perspective, since he can say that "they" require it, not the state of Florida. My concern is how this will affect port and terminal staff in Florida, since the CDC Conditional Sail Order is pushing for port and terminal staff to be vaccinated as well as the cruise ship crew.  We will have to see how this transpires. 

On 4/10/2021 at 2:10 AM, Iamcruzin said:

I scoured the various websites in February and early March, without success.  When I learned that certain drug stores were getting the vaccines, I tried to enroll  but could  not get past the first page as I kept getting messages "No Covid vaccines at this time, try later."

After many days when I went to the  Rite Aid website and put the necessary personal info, it gave me 2 locations in Manhattan, but none in NJ.  

I found it odd as I was under the impression that vaccines were for residents only.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Stick93 said:

I don't get people who get triggered by any politician - 

When did we forget to just ignore - especially if he isn't an elected official in your state. I couldn't care less what what my politicians are doing as they have killed thousands and nobody has cared about them as they hated an orange man more in the white house than the people ion their own state. Now all of a sudden some care but not enough and not clearly soon enough. 

You don't like his politics or his state - stay out.

I have a feeling the cruising will probably begin in Florida and many people who hate him will be plenty happy to cruise right out of there. 

👍

• Like 1

Q2 2022 does make senses from a logical point of view. We will likely first see the start up of cruises out of Florida and even when Winter is approaching with flu season etc it might not be a priority to start offering cruises in the Winter months out of Bayonne or Baltimore for instance and wait with this until next year.

15 minutes ago, LXA350 said:

Q2 2022 does make senses from a logical point of view. We will likely first see the start up of cruises out of Florida and even when Winter is approaching with flu season etc it might not be a priority to start offering cruises in the Winter months out of Bayonne or Baltimore for instance and wait with this until next year.

What's Flu Season?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1