BUMMER: PORT AUTHORITY OF NY & NJ

46 minutes ago, LXA350 said:

Q2 2022 does make senses from a logical point of view. We will likely first see the start up of cruises out of Florida and even when Winter is approaching with flu season etc it might not be a priority to start offering cruises in the Winter months out of Bayonne or Baltimore for instance and wait with this until next year.

One of the benefits if there are any in this Covid time is that the hygiene of people has improved a bit. That could reduce potential Norovirus outbreaks on ships.

• Like 5

10 hours ago, Stick93 said:

BIf a ship from Bermuda has an out break which could happen even with vaccine (less likely albeit) will NY/NJ take that ship into its port?? Don’t think so. 

I would expect Bermuda to refuse to take them as well.  That would be a nightmare.

10 minutes ago, Stick93 said:

That is my point - 

Bermuda is a small island out in the Atlantic without the medical infrastructure to handle an outbreak on cruise ships. When someone has major medical issues they send them to Canada or fly in a doctor. For example when someone on the ship I was on broke her hip the surgery was done by a surgeon who comes to Bermuda several times a year. Florida is one of the largest US states in a developed nation  with a of major medical infrastructure. Bermuda has 67,000 residents and one hospital. Very different. No comparison.

Edited by Charles4515

19 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

Bermuda is a small island out in the Atlantic without the medical infrastructure to handle an outbreak on cruise ships. When someone has major medical issues they send them to Canada or fly in a doctor. For example when someone on the ship I was on broke her hip the surgery was done by a surgeon who comes to Bermuda several times a year. Florida is one of the largest US states in a developed nation  with a of major medical infrastructure. Bermuda has 67,000 residents and one hospital. Very different. No comparison.

You missed the thread and the context this was said in - A member posted as part of a comment on starting cruising from Florida that Gov Desantis didn't take in ships last year that were stranded with Covid that had left ports in other countries as part of a different topic. I was commenting on that.

SO......

If Royal Caribbean has a ship that is bypassing the CDC and leaving out of Bermuda,  and the ship has 25 cases of covid that happen - who should take that ship in?? Which state on the east coast??

Everyone who goes on a ship from one of these small island should know that is there is an issue they may be S*** out of luck with coming back to the USA quickly. I realize that the vaccines should help AND the protocols should help, but the point is who is responsible for a ship that leaves a different country when they all get sick. My  point is if they don't leave from the US then no state needs to take them in.

and so....

Blaming the governor of Florida for not taking in ships last March/April that did not leave from his port is quite frankly not his issue or an issue for today unless the ship leaves his port. 

1 hour ago, John&LaLa said:

What's Flu Season?

During Winter months there used to be something called Influenza which was replaced this year by COVID 😉

Then again wearing of masks etc is helping a lot the spread of the flu (influenza) against Noro only personal hygiene, which hopefully people in general will take more serious also after COVID.

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, Stick93 said:

You missed the thread and the context this was said in - A member posted as part of a comment on starting cruising from Florida that Gov Desantis didn't take in ships last year that were stranded with Covid that had left ports in other countries as part of a different topic. I was commenting on that.

SO......

If Royal Caribbean has a ship that is bypassing the CDC and leaving out of Bermuda,  and the ship has 25 cases of covid that happen - who should take that ship in?? Which state on the east coast??

Everyone who goes on a ship from one of these small island should know that is there is an issue they may be S*** out of luck with coming back to the USA quickly. I realize that the vaccines should help AND the protocols should help, but the point is who is responsible for a ship that leaves a different country when they all get sick. My  point is if they don't leave from the US then no state needs to take them in.

and so....

Blaming the governor of Florida for not taking in ships last March/April that did not leave from his port is quite frankly not his issue or an issue for today unless the ship leaves his port. 

I seem to recall that Florida took in Freedom from SJ after PR refused to let them return

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ed342 said:

Here's the latest from PA NY/NJ:

https://worldshipny.com/current-arrivals-and-departures/

This mentions nothing about southbound sailings towards the Caribbean or down the east coast or to South Florida or perhaps towards the panama canal or the future repeated transatlantic crossings of the Queen Mary 2 or proposed fall T/A which may still be in the pipeline?

Edited by ace2542

3 hours ago, nelblu said:

I scoured the various websites in February and early March, without success.  When I learned that certain drug stores were getting the vaccines, I tried to enroll  but could  not get past the first page as I kept getting messages "No Covid vaccines at this time, try later."

After many days when I went to the  Rite Aid website and put the necessary personal info, it gave me 2 locations in Manhattan, but none in NJ.  

I found it odd as I was under the impression that vaccines were for residents only.

Vaccines are available to out of state residents only if they are essential works in NYS.  If you live in NJ but have a nonessential job in NYS you will not qualify even if you qualify under something else like preexisting conditions.

27 minutes ago, ace2542 said:

This mentions nothing about southbound sailings towards the Caribbean or down the east coast or to South Florida or perhaps towards the panama canal or the future repeated transatlantic crossings of the Queen Mary 2 or proposed fall T/A which may still be in the pipeline?

Cunard has suspended all QM2 TA sailings until after November 12, 2021.  The schedule does show Cunard sailings after that date.

• Thanks 1

On 4/9/2021 at 9:31 PM, mets07 said:

I can only comment on my recent experience in New Jersey.  I applied for a vaccine on Saturday (April 3), and got a text the next day, Sunday, to make an appointment. The first available appointments were for Tuesday and I received the first shot that day. So it was a few days from request to vaccine. 

Maybe in NJ it is best to apply to other than drug store chains. I applied to two hospitals in my county and they both responded within a couple days. 

you don't even need an appt

The drug stores (as you said) had no appointments available. Perhaps others in other counties have had different experiences. 

Best wishes and best health to everyone. 

Yes, try mass vaccination sites for appts either set up by FEMA or the state. 

42 minutes ago, smalltimecruiser100 said:

you don't even need an appt

These words were added to my original post by someone else. This was not true in New Jersey for me.  One had to have an appointment and show evidence of it when checking in. 

Other states may have different procedures. 

Thank you. 

6 hours ago, Stick93 said:

I don't get people who get triggered by any politician - 

When did we forget to just ignore - especially if he isn't an elected official in your state. I couldn't care less what what my politicians are doing as they have killed thousands and nobody has cared about them as they hated an orange man more in the white house than the people ion their own state. Now all of a sudden some care but not enough and not clearly soon enough. 

You don't like his politics or his state - stay out.

I have a feeling the cruising will probably begin in Florida and many people who hate him will be plenty happy to cruise right out of there. 

Here is my question. Do you think cruising will start before or after the lawsuit goes to trial?  

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, mets07 said:

These words were added to my original post by someone else. This was not true in New Jersey for me.  One had to have an appointment and show evidence of it when checking in. 

Other states may have different procedures. 

Thank you. 

To supplement what you posted, we definitely needed an appointment in NJ. Kept trying and trying and trying. Put every town in the search box......finally got appointments for both of us, an hour drive away. Booked the appointments. Done with first shot. Second due in a few days. Both my appointments are at the same CVS. Hubby's appointments are at different ones. The one I went to was very organized. I got a vaccination card (that everyone gets) and a paper with details of the shot, which arm, how much, reaction, next appointment etc. They asked if I want email or paper. No paper given to hubby, just the vaccination card. He asked the pharmacist if there ws an electronic record with the state and the  pharmacist said that they will be in some "list" but it will be a long time for any record to show up.

Note to @Nelblue (can't find your original post)......try putting in other towns in the search box, if you are willing to drive there. I found several appointements in South Jersey area which is not a bad drive for us (x 4 times for 2 shots) . Other day they were gone. Then they reappared when I was looking for DH's appointment. Refresh the button if it says no appointments available. Then move forward. Good Luck! Post your reults.

Edited by Arzeena
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

There isn't any incentive for cruise lines to bring ships here either.  They should keep the ships in Europe where sailings are happening. Desantis is just making things worse for Florida with his lawsuit and his anti vaccine position. He and the Senators should be working with the cruise lines figuring out a game plan and building quarantine facilities as per the CDC guidelines should there be a covid outbreak on a cruise ship. It seems to me they have more to gain from the cruise industry than any other state in the country.

If everyone on the ship is vaccinated there is no reason to build a quarantine facility!   That CSO requirement is so outdated.  

25 minutes ago, mets123 said:

Does anyone know about the status of the 9 day New England/Canada cruises from Cape Liberty in the fall? I don't see any mention of them. 

Canada has said no cruises until 2022 and cdc says no US cruises over 7 days.  No idea what else to tell you.

24 minutes ago, mets123 said:

Does anyone know about the status of the 9 day New England/Canada cruises from Cape Liberty in the fall? I don't see any mention of them. 

I'm also on the Sept 30th Freedom Canada/NE cruise and no emails on it whatsoever.

8 hours ago, kwokpot said:

I'm also on the Sept 30th Freedom Canada/NE cruise and no emails on it whatsoever.

Canada is closed until Feb 2022. You won't hear anything from the cruise line until they receive final payment and a month later they will cancel.

18 hours ago, vandals04 said:

Vaccines are available to out of state residents only if they are essential works in NYS.  If you live in NJ but have a nonessential job in NYS you will not qualify even if you qualify under something else like preexisting conditions.

I agree, but Rite Aid had no problem sending me to NYC even though based on my profile, I would not be eligible.  Unless, many NY kers were not interested, just like it's Governor in the early stages of the vaccine development.😀

13 hours ago, Arzeena said:

To supplement what you posted, we definitely needed an appointment in NJ. Kept trying and trying and trying. Put every town in the search box......finally got appointments for both of us, an hour drive away. Booked the appointments. Done with first shot. Second due in a few days. Both my appointments ar

Note to @Nelblue (can't find your original post)......try putting in other towns in the search box, if you are willing to drive there. I found several appointements in South Jersey area which is not a bad drive for us (x 4 times for 2 shots) . Other day they were gone. Then they reappared when I was looking for DH's appointment. Refresh the button if it says no appointments available. Then move forward. Good Luck! Post your reults.

Believe me, not only the biggest Hospitals, multiple counties, local townships, etc. without success.  Even tried the Atlantic City Convention Center (mega center) in coordination with one of my sojourns there.  However, my daughter was successful to get me Moderna at a Monmouth County facility.  When I got my initial shot I was one of 50 in line.  Surprising, when I went for my second there was no one in line and after filling some documentation, eg Insurance, I went in and out in a matter of 20 minutes, after the customary 15 minutes of observation.

So in essence, I got all of my shots and sometimes when I tell some of my friends I feel like a dog or a cat with their shots.🤪