Did you get sea sick on Galapagos cruise?

Pilgrim70

We cruised round the Galapagos on a ship with only 16 tourists on board. It was fantastic! We were there in April, sea was calm and it was our favourite ever cruise.

Do you get seasick on the big cruise ships Pilgrim70? I sometimes do but take meds, eat dry toast and cope. But our little cruise around the Galapagos was smooth.

I would definitely do the trip again.

We were on Xpedition in Aug 2016. We had a bit of rocking, but no-one seemed affected by this. The ship mostly changed positions from island to island during the overnight hours. During the day we were on and off ship for excursions. The rides in the pangas were very bumpy, but IMO lots of fun.  

Xpedition was built as a 90-100 passenger ship.  She only carries fewer now because Celebrity transferred her license to Flora.  So she still sails like a 100 passenger ship, but everybody has twice as much room on board.  Flora looks very nice, but IMHO Xpedition is the sweet spot for value.

My experience on the Xpedition is a little different than others and I would be more cautious about getting seasick.  I typically do not have any seasickness issues on the other Celebrity ships.  As others have noted the Xpedition is a much smaller ship than other ships you may have experienced but the seas are usually fairly calm and I didn't experience any problems while the ship is in motion.  My problem was in the evening while the ship is at anchor and I was laying down trying to sleep.   The ship had lots of motion while at anchor and it did bother me.  It's a great trip and I would encourage you to go, but I would recommend that you plan on taking some medication to control seasickness issues.  My favorite is the patch that you change every 3 days.  These Galapagos trips are very enjoyable and far too expensive to risk getting sick.  

• Like 1

We were on the Expedition in 2009.  Up until that time I had never been seasick on any of many cruises.  One the first day we went to the top deck to select our gear for the cruise and I got woozy.  I did not "hurl" but had to go back to the cabin and lie down.  I was uneasy that day but had no problems after.  Had no problems on the Zodiacs at all.  I think it had something to do with being sort of exposed on the top deck.  We had some high waves, when you were watching from the ship the incoming zodiacs would disappear from sight when dipping into the swells.  It was a wonderful experience, well worth the effort.  In the years since I have occasionally been woozy again when on the top decks even on large cruise ships the first night of a cruise.  After the first night on board I have had no problems.   Seems to take a while to get my sea legs as I get older.  I think staying lower in the ship initially helps.

Xped in 2012.  No issues at all.  Tip:  Hang back when they're loading the pangas.  The last one out is usually not full and the pax/guide ratio is much smaller.  Have fun.  It's the most jaw dropping experience we've had.  Hope Antarctica one day compares. 

• Like 2

Six of us sailed on Xpedition in December of 2017.  We did not experience rough seas nor do I recall anyone on our cruise being sick.  We did the Outer Loop.  Loved every minute.  Remember, weather can differ greatly and everyone reacts differently.  Best of luck.  Enjoy your cruise!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

We went in March years ago with Tauck on an old rust bucket called the Isabella 2. The seas were very calm. The ship only had 46 passengers and 4 environmentalists with the crew. Take Bonine before boarding just to make sure. Then you can check day by day. It was one of our most memorable trips. Also sea bands on your wrists might help and they are medicine free. Be sure to get water shoes for the wet lands and slippery rocke.

Haven't done this itinerary but used to work for a tour operator and we owned a small ship and chartered some to the Galapagos so a number of my co-workers went on trips there. Almost universally they talked about the rough seas and some people getting sick onboard. One co-worker described a night where the seas were so rough that dishes fell and broke in the kitchen, furniture toppled around in common areas and passengers fell out of bed with one of them hitting and gashing their head. That ruled out ever visiting that destination for me as I'm pretty sensitive to motion sickness and don't like being way out at sea in smaller boats. So you never know what you'll encounter but you should be prepared to hit some bouncy seas enough to cause sea sickness.

On 4/23/2021 at 1:29 PM, Pilgrim70 said:

Thanks all for your response. I don’t get sea sick on the larger ships but will have meclizine with me on this trip. 

I highly recommend a Relief Band (you can find it on Amazon). There is an old version (which I have & have used) but I bought the newer version last year when we were originally supposed to go on the Galapagos cruise).  This has been my go to since a friend handed me theirs after I had been vomiting the entire “pirate ship” excursion (we were anchored in the swells for 2 hours). Within 5 minutes I was recovered & starving. I don’t leave home without it now on our cruises. I am definitely taking it on Flora. This is just the kind of trip I might need it on. 

• Like 1

I was on the Xpedition in November (quite a few years ago). For the most part it was calm, except one night the rolling was so bad that I was worried I might roll right out of my bed. That night was the exception, not the rule. What you need to worry about is if you plan on doing any deep water snorkeling off the zodiacs. We had a really wavy afternoon on one excursion and half the people on the zodiac were puking off the sides. I always wear a behind the ear patch as I'm easily prone to motion sickness. I'd bring along something for motion sickness more for certain excursions (deep water snorkeling) than the cruise itself.

Edited by keysey222

We sailed on the Flora in December of 2019.  The ship is amazing!  I did not get sick at all.  For reference, I do get nauseous on the tenders sometimes if I don't have fresh air.