The Daily for Sunday May 02, 2021

richwmn

Today is Baby Day, Brothers and Sisters Day, and May Day for Mutts

"I distrust camels, and anyone else who can go a week without a drink. - Joe E. Lewis"

Meal suggestion for today - Meatball Baked Ziti

Drink of the Day - Mai Tai

Wine of the day - Robert Weil Riesling Qualitätswein Trocken Rheingau Kiedricher Gräfenberg GG 2015

Port of the Day - Arhus Denmark

At Sea Caribbean
Nieuw Statendam Destination Great Stirrup Cay eta today

At Sea Gulf of California
Noordam Drifting

At Sea Pacific
Zuiderdam Destination La Paz MX eta 5/7

Corfu GR
Volendam

La Paz MX
Koningsdam Anchorage
Nieuw Amsterdam Anchorage

Limassol CY
Zaandam

Long Beach CA
Westerdam Anchorage

Torquay UK
Eurodam Anchorage
Oosterdam Anchorage

Trieste, IT
Rotterdam

0502World.thumb.png.1a77892b9a3fe12f7f67358cd3e337c1.png

• Like 30
  • Thanks 3

Thank you for the Sunday Daily, Rich.  Babies will soon be a source of joy to @StLouisCruisers.    Sadly, I no longer have any brothers or sisters.  May Day for Mutts will be popular here.  Interesting Lewis quote.  My only Denmark port has been Copenhagen.  I think I've had Meatball Baked Ziti on a BHB.  My alternative is Sunset Salad, Broiled New York Striploin, and Apple Streusel as served on MS Nieuw Statendam May 2, 2019.

https://getawaysfrom21044.files.wordpress.com/2019/05/dishes0502.jpg

My hospital pre-op visit is tomorrow.

Today's care list:

Kakalina

myself facing cardiac surgery May 14

Welfare of furloughed crews

India

RIP Olympia Dukakis

Garlictown needing arm surgery

StLouisCruiser’s sister sister needing valve surgery

NextOne DH awaiting surgery

Today's Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Medina Spirit

Teachers, school workers and at home surrogates

Front Line Health Care Workers

Crew vaccinations

Grandkids coming for StLouisCruiser’s niece

Laffnvegas visit with localady

Jab appointment for Ger+77 DS

Return of 4 Astronauts

and Sabine, HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 31
  • Thanks 2

Good morning all and thank you for the daily Rich.  Funny that I just woke up dreaming about a baby!  The quote is humorous and I love today’s drink.  Brothers and sisters are important, I just poked mine with a text wishing them a happy brothers and sisters day! Dinner sounds tasty but it’s grilled beef and vegetable skewers tonight.  Prayers to all in need and cheers to everyone with a celebration.  Happy first Sunday in May.

• Like 17

Good morning.  Happy Sunday.  Thanks for the Daily Report.

Love the collection of days.  It's always Mutt Day in our house.🙂

Great quote.

The meal suggestion sounds good.

I'd love a Mai Tai, hope the wine is good too.

Never been to Arhus.

Sending prayers for everyone on the Care List, and an extra one for Roy.

Cheers to all who celebrate.

Stay safe.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich! Bindi is thrilled that she has her own May Day! I will celebrate my Sister today!

Thank you for keeping our lists, Roy! Hope it all goes smoothly tomorrow. Morning for Dailyites & my Sisters! Thank goodness for “copy & paste”, because I can not imagine typing the name of today’s wine in to Google. The meal sounds good. Love the taste of today’s drink, but need to sip it very slowly.  Another lovely morning here, though we may see some showers later. Maybe I will suggest dinner at the beach to my Sister, so we can celebrate. 

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Stay well everyone!

Fans of dry Rieslings should enjoy this wine. A bit pricey, but with a name like that, it is to be expected. Perhaps they charge by the number of letters in its name. I found one distributor offering this particular Riesling vintage for $69.99. If you can find it locally, you might be able to better that price. Winemaker Notes

#99 Wine SpectatorTop 100 of 2017

This Riesling represents the top quality of Robert Weil's dry wines. Lemon yellow in color, it exudes a beautiful perfume of the finest fruity and floral notes -- including aromas of apricot, grapefruit, quince, lychee, physalis, lilac and elderflowers. On the palate, it emerges with ripe and juicy fruit flavors that are clear and persistent and of great density. Showing minerality and notes of fine spices, with a creamy finish, the wine easily passes over the tongue, revealing its complexity and enormous depth. A true powerhouse with great storage potential. Can be enjoyed alone or with seafood, cheese and white meat.

WS95 Wine Spectator: Very rich and complex, with enveloping flavors of baked apple, ripe citrus, nectarine and dried pear supported by a powerful structure. Lush midpalate, with a notes of dried guava, followed by unctuous spiciness on the finish, with accents of white chocolate, chamomile and dried herbs. Best from 2018 through 2026.

• Like 25

Good morning!  Wishing a very pleasant Sunday to all!

We adore our baby grandchildren, and also our Mai Tais.  The Mai Tai is my traditional "birthday drink."  That tradition grew out of our children's fascination with the little umbrellas.  🍹  ☂️ 😊

I have been to Arhus.  It is a delightful port stop, but I can't find any photos, unfortunately.

The cruise when we visited there was the last together as a family of four before both our kids were married.  It was very special.

The Care List is long right now. @garlictown 's sudden injury is distressing.  Sending prayers and best wishes to all those needing our special thoughts right now.  And also many thanks to@richwmn and Company for The Daily.

Edited by AncientWanderer
  • Like 20
  • Thanks 1

Good Sunday Morning.  No babies here, have 2 each brothers and sisters, and no mutts.  I LOL at the Joe E. Lewis quote.  The meal sounds wonderful.  Just bought meatballs from the deli yesterday. Roy's sounds delicious too.  Never been to Denmark so look forward to the photos.  Major prayers for all on our care list.  Toasts to our celebration list, and a welcome home to our Astronauts.

Stay safe, social distance, and please continue to wear your mask.  Hopefully many more will get their jabs!

Mai Tai:

Ingredients: 1 1/2 oz White rum, 1/2 oz Fresh lime juice, 1/2 oz Orange curaçao, 1/2 oz Orgeat syrup, 3/4 oz Dark rum
Preparation: Shake all ingredients except the dark rum together in a mixer with ice. Strain into glass and float the dark rum onto the top. Garnish and serve with straw.
Served: On the rocks; poured over ice.
Standard garnish: Lime peel, Pineapple spear

Screen Shot 2021-05-02 at 7.42.54 AM.png

• Like 24
  • Thanks 1

Good morning, everyone!   

We had three babies join the family in the past year, two boys and a girl.  I have three sisters that I am very close to.  They are all living in Michigan right now, but every Thursday is sister Zoom.   That started with the pandemic and will probably continue.  Some good things have come out of this trying time.  My two brothers aren't interested in doing the Zoom with us, preferring to leave that to the girls.  I did amuse them by filling out my brackets this year for March Madness.  They always get a chuckle out of that, but what they don't know is that I do it on purpose.  

The drink and the wine sound good to me.   

I have to agree with whoever said it yesterday that the appliance curse was much less to worry about than what is happening to people right now.  Let's hope that ends and ends now.

Today is supposed to be 80 degrees and sunny.   I might try and tackle a few weeds in the gardens.  

Today's meal gets rave reviews again.   A couple said it seemed dry and needed more sauce.   The recipe author gives the go ahead to use frozen meatballs for a quick weekday dinner, but in the reviews it is stated that the recipe for the home made meatballs is really good.  I guess it depends on the time crunch.

https://damndelicious.net/2020/11/04/meatball-baked-ziti/

Meatball-Baked-ZitiIMG_1518.jpg

Edited by dfish
  • Like 26
  • Thanks 2

Good Morning Everyone, thanks for the daily report.  Today’s meal suggestion sounds good.  I did the monthly grocery shopping yesterday so am marinating a pork roast for dinner tonight.  I appreciate the one sister that is in my life.  I was very excited yesterday when Mona, the newest family member, finally crawled into bed with me on her own.  I’m happy that she’s feeling more comfortable in the house.  Hope everyone has a nice Sunday.

• Like 21

Good morning all. I didn’t check CC after 1pm yesterday as we are getting a downstairs bathroom ready for a granddaughter who has a particularly dusty summer job and when I finished reading this morning, all kinds of things happened. Arm surgery, valve surgery, etc. Prayers winging to those that need them. Very happy about the twin grandchildren coming! I remember 50+ years ago when I was carrying our twins, we had no forewarning and couldn’t prepare. At least now with ultrasound parents have time to prepare and get used to the idea!

on a happy note, our youngest grandson is getting his first dose of Pfizer on Thursday. He is 17 and has adhd so qualifies now. Our youngest DGD, also 17, will be the only one unvaccinated then. She works in a grocery store part time and there are rumblings that they may soon be vaccinated as essential workers. Fingers crossed.

have a great day everyone. Off to paint this bathroom for the older DGD. 

• Like 23

Today's sunrise is from my 2013 Queen Elizabeth Transatlantic and Crystal Symphony Transpacific with an interlude in between at Angkor Wat.  On May 2 I had disembarked Symphony and changed trains in Chicago.  That morning I watched the sun come up over Lake Michigan:

dawn0502.jpg

Roy

• Like 27

Good Sunday morning, everyone.  Both of us are only children, so can't celebrate siblings; will have to call my grand 🐕 today and wish him a happy May Day for Muts.  (He's also the only "baby" in the family.)

Healing wishes for those on the care list and 🥂 to those on the celebratory list.

We were in Ärhus on 4/28/19 -- the last port before the end of our TA on Regal Princess that disembarked the next day in Copenhagen.

We just walked around town and hit a couple of eating places I had researched.

View of town from the ship

DSCF3750.thumb.jpg.d0189706587e099dedc7ce608d1835c0.jpg

Street overlook from the Salling Department store Roof Top terrace.

DSC00666.thumb.jpg.5f32e8826691bcf27c0bb4a37ea7ac56.jpg

We went up there to enjoy live entertainment, beer, an Aperol spritz 💕, and smørrebrød.

DSCF3757.thumb.jpg.95cc96b855228dfa32bcd5e1f3f137e2.jpg

DSCF3759.thumb.jpg.dba408043538057772dad18ee70145ac.jpg

DSCF3760.thumb.jpg.fa4c8247b4312f3bc23a934187513284.jpg

Then we walked out onto the overlook for a great view of the street

DSC00671.thumb.jpg.565165642502fea79c18068d97bf5187.jpg

Next we were off to Ärhus Street Food, an indoor food court.

DSCF3769.thumb.jpg.88ade7aa818353d258acd3069e53bc2f.jpg

Who could resist trying duck fat fries??

DSCF3774.thumb.jpg.c241154defdd063e4185020f88d38918.jpg

DSCF3773.thumb.jpg.2b8c98be288256a2c820f510327d0e1b.jpg

Back at the port were some interesting sculptures

DSCF3775.thumb.jpg.70ab4a7092edd7bcc4da7a60015d3704.jpg

DSCF3776.thumb.jpg.bf5d7f2491c02546dab55b587016db85.jpg

DSCF3777.thumb.jpg.4ae80602b593430dfbaa5f7fdf24d1d3.jpg

DSCF3778.thumb.jpg.82a426c53214a25b773b82c4af5cccec.jpg

We were serenaded at sailaway

DSCF3779.thumb.jpg.ace3fae6721d3c16d9218a1afc297164.jpg

• Like 27
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, rafinmd said:

For some reason Nieuw Statendam seems to be hanging off Port Everglades:

Capture.JPG.6f5900fe256a2770397a6dfeb4c32be0.JPG

Roy

Perhaps they are waiting for the crew to be vaccinatated?

• Like 11
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, kazu said:

Perhaps they are waiting for the crew to be vaccinatated?

I think if that was it they would have stayed at the dock.  A rescue boat did go into port a few minutes ago and the ship is under way now.

Roy

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

Good morning everyone. I didn’t get a chance to read yesterday’s daily after I posted and I now see garlictown is facing arm surgery and Stlouis sister is having valve replacement . Good luck to both of you. I have a close friend who is also having valve replacement later this month. Roy, good luck tomorrow, and Lisa, enjoy your cruise friends’ visits.

Nothing much happening here. My two oldest grandsons arrived safely in LA yesterday and they have an impressive vacation itinerary planned. I’m hoping to get some pictures soon. I haven’t seen the oldest one since last June. I realized yesterday that I haven’t seen my extended family since my birthday party two Junes ago. We are planning a family get together in September in Boston so that should be a nice time to see everyone.

Stay safe everyone and prayers for all who need them.

Carol

• Like 20

Thanks for the Daily, Rich and our morning smile 😊

No babies here but I’ll happily celebrate my brothers and sisters.  Enjoy your family while you can everyone.  I lost one of my brothers last year.  

In honour of May Day for my mutts and mutts everywhere - some May flowers!

D8268327-7D08-427A-A423-80CAF584529D.thumb.jpeg.b660327c2cff12509869cbd6c5aef058.jpeg

The Mayflowers are not growing in my yard but along the river.  

LOL on that Lewis quote.  Love it.  

I think I’ll pass on the meal suggestion since we have prime rib steaks going on the BBQ tonight.  The wine sounds good but the price is a bit out of my reach.

Haven’t been to today’s port but whenever anyone asks where my favourite place has been this comes to mind:

32A67A2E-0E34-44BF-A523-A98364AB8790.thumb.jpeg.8484adeff6cd2b50288a7e5f12987db9.jpeg

Prayers for everyone on Roy’s Care list (and especially for the pending surgeries) & for those that need them and a 🥂to those on the Celebratory / Shout Out list.

Have a great Sunday everyone from the Maritimes!

BD78E7E8-ADAE-45A6-A7B6-D88979891802.thumb.jpeg.c5db8fd7a22642746567e3f4a4c2c1be.jpeg

Stay safe & please don’t forget your masks 😷

• Like 29

Good Morning Everyone from a bright and sunny day at the beach.

Both meal suggestions look good, we are having steak on the grill.

We were scheduled to go to Aarhus in 2020 but......    So it is back on the list. Going to be very busy once we can start cruising again.

Heard last night, that Miami is also going to be vaccinating crew members. All good.

Lots of people needing our prayers right now. Positive strong thoughts to all.  Stay strong.

Be safe and enjoy this beautiful day

• Like 18

Good morning everyone!  Yesterday was quite a day, wasn't it?  Let's hope things calm down a little bit here.  Thanks to Rich for the Daily report.  I watched Nieuw Statendam leave Port Everglades last night, late of course.  It was about 10:25 to 10:30 pm Eastern.  

Good luck Roy with your pre-op visit tomorrow.  I'm sure all will go smoothly. 👍

Today's days seem appropriate.  Baby Day and Brothers & Sisters Day seem appropriate for me.  I will send my other two siblings a text wishing them a happy one.  As for those new babies, how is it possible my darling niece will be a grandma?  After all, she's so YOUNG!  At least to me she is.  For all the mutts out there Happy May Day!

The quote today is quite funny.  And as for the meal of the day, that pic of the Ziti looks delicious.  When some of the commenters say  the sauce is too dry, we need to remind ourselves that everyone has such widely varying tastes.  For instance in my own household, DH likes drier pasta dishes and I like to load on the sauce.  If we can't even agree, how do we expect everyone else to?  Adjust to your own taste and enjoy!

I have been to Arhus, Denmark one time, and that was in 2011.  I will drum up some photos and present them here in a later post.  

Have a great day and stay safe!

• Like 21

Good  morning  on  a  beautiful Sunday  morning. I  took  Fred the  busy  cockapoo  for  a  long  walk and  enjoyed  the  60  degree  temps  and  slight  breeze. The  picture  below  is  of  Fred(floppy ears) and  his  best  buddy who  lives across  the  street. The  dogs  have  inside  visits since  we  live  on  a  busy  street  and  have  tiny  back  yards.

We  have  been  to  Copenhagen  only  so  far  but  did  enjoy Denmark. I  make  a  version  of  today's  recipe for  "company" as  DH  and  I  would  be  eating  it  for  a  week. It  is  quite  tasty.

@garlictown, so  sorry  to  hear  about  your  fall  and  arm  injury. We  are  all  rooting  for  you.

@rafinmd, I  will  be  thinking  of  you  tomorrow  and  hope  all  goes  well.

20170806_195748.jpg

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1