The Daily for Wednesday May 05, 2021

richwmn

Besides today being Cinco de Mayo in the Spanish world in the Netherlands today it is Liberation Day .  We celebrate our Liberation and the ending of WWII on May 5th 1945 by Canadian and other allied forces , Americans , British and Polish .  

The Dutch people , and I as a Canadian immigrant are forever thankful for the great sacrifices these young men and women made to give us back our freedom  ! 

We will never forget ! 

Tony 

• Like 22
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Keep your fingers crossed,  🤞 hopefully I stopped the dental jinx.  After 18 months without a dental visit, the hygienist did not find any problems, and she didn't have too much cleaning to do.  That was a relief as I am not fond of someone rooting around in my mouth.

Yes!  Please!!  I don’t want any more!  

• Like 6

7 hours ago, richwmn said:

19 Cinco De Mayo Clipart Free Download Banner Huge - Header@pngkey.com

Today is.......................... and Cinco de Mayo........................................

Funny Cinco de Mayo Comic - Picture

Happy Sinko De Mayo : funny

http://media.oregonlive.com/oregonian/photo/2017/05/04/-ff8ef4d0ab389897.png

Happy 5 De Mayo - Decal - Customizable Design

Cartoon/meme about Cinco De Mayo – Andy Anderson Cartoons

THE UNZIPPED TRUTH | Bones funny, Funny news, 5 de mayo

Cinco De Mayo Jokes Clean - Nice Photography

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

4 hours ago, summer slope said:

Good morning.  Late to the party today.  Had a stand-by generator installed and no power until now.  With the Hurricane shutters we had installed last fall we are ready for storm season.  No biking anywhere nowadays.  Love to read the comics in the paper everyday.  And Happy Cinco de Mayo everyone.  Never crossed the equator but enjoy seeing photo's that people post.  Going to our favorite Mexican rest. tonight, will enjoy Fajita's and Margaritas. 

Prayers and toasts to our lists.

Stay safe, social distance, and continue to wear your mask.

Screwdriver:

Ingredients: 1 3/4 oz (1 part) Vodka, 3 1/2 oz (2 parts) Orange juice
Preparation: Mix in a highball glass with ice. Garnish and serve.
Served: On the rocks; poured over ice
Standard garnish: Orange slice
Drinkware: Highball glass

Screen Shot 2021-05-05 at 10.12.48 AM.png

It sounds refreshing!

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, sailingdutchy said:

Besides today being Cinco de Mayo in the Spanish world in the Netherlands today it is Liberation Day .  We celebrate our Liberation and the ending of WWII on May 5th 1945 by Canadian and other allied forces , Americans , British and Polish .  

The Dutch people , and I as a Canadian immigrant are forever thankful for the great sacrifices these young men and women made to give us back our freedom  ! 

We will never forget ! 

Tony 

Thanks for the reminder, Tony.  

How could I have forgotten as we had the pleasure to be in the Netherlands for that great day.  The Dutch are all so kind to we Canadians visiting 😄 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

I can't believe with all these great pictures - that no one got a picture of the Equator. 😄 🤣  I have crossed twice on Westerdam - Sou Pac in 2016.

I walked to school most of my life, about 1 block away. The only time it was further away - was in elementary school - when the current one burnt down [also 1 block away] and the temporary classrooms  and then the new elementary school was built away across town - probably about  1/2 mile - but I only had to go there for 2 1/2 years and then back to 1 block away. I can't remember if I  rode a bike during non-snow season, but do not remember doing so. I do remember walking on nice days, taking my time getting home. 😄 

Hated walking in the snow - the reason I have lived in Florida for over 50 years.

• Like 12

1 hour ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Keep your fingers crossed,  🤞 hopefully I stopped the dental jinx.  After 18 months without a dental visit, the hygienist did not find any problems, and she didn't have too much cleaning to do.  That was a relief as I am not fond of someone rooting around in my mouth.

Oh, I so hope so.  The dental jinx can get really expensive and no one else can appreciate the new acquisition.   At least people can admire all my new appliances.   

I don't remember riding my bike to school.  I think I didn't like to do so because I had to ride uphill to get home.  So, I walked about a half mile.  I didn't mind the snow so much as I found it useful on several occasions.   If my mom sent soup in my lunch, she always included bread and butter.  I hated bread and butter.   If I took it home I got in trouble for not eating my lunch and wasting food.   If I tried to throw it out at school the lunch mothers lectured me about starving children in China, India or whatever country that came to mind.   So, I took to burying it in snow mounds on my way home.  It never occurred to me what might happen come spring and the snow melted.  

• Like 12
  • Haha 6

I lived a mile from my school so usually rode my bike.  It was (and still is) a two room school, first, second and third grade in one room and fourth fifth and sixth in the other.  It was built in the 1890s and may be the oldest school in the State.  We had a shed on the edge of the field where you could keep your horse if you rode it to school.  I don't remember anyone riding a horse, and when I went by the school last month the shed was gone and it looked like they are remodeling and expanding the size of the school.

Concerning Blue Hulled Beauties:  I just read that Carnival has decided to repaint all the ships in their fleet so the hulls will be dark blue even though the rest of the ship may be white.

Ray

• Like 13

Back from my oncologist where I got a clean bill of health. Not only that, but after my Mohs surgery heals, he wants me to call him so we can discuss the vaccine situation then and he can help me decide what to do and which to take.

• Like 22

We’ve crossed the Equator at least 7 times, all on HAL ships.  If our cruises included both a north and south crossing, there was only one King Neptune ceremony.  We crossed on Ryndam, in 2008, Amsterdam, in 2009, Rotterdam, in 2010, Prinsendam, in 2011, Rotterdam, in 2012 & 2013 and Maasdam, in 2017.  Have videos of all the ceremonies.

• Like 12

42 minutes ago, mamaofami said:

Back from my oncologist where I got a clean bill of health. Not only that, but after my Mohs surgery heals, he wants me to call him so we can discuss the vaccine situation then and he can help me decide what to do and which to take.

Very good news today!  You must be feeling pretty optimistic right now.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, dfish said:

So, I took to burying it in snow mounds on my way home.  It never occurred to me what might happen come spring and the snow melted.  

OMG!!  I did this too although not with school food, usually with treats given to me that I just couldn’t eat as a child. The one that I remember the most was Fig Newtons, yuck, because that was the one I got “caught” with when the snow melted. 

• Like 7
  • Haha 5

I don't think I ever rode my bike to school - too many hills in Pittsburgh.

I did ride the streetcar to elementary school for a few years. We lived in Ben Avon and the elementary school was in Emsworth. I love streetcars to this day!

610036870_PAAC_PCC_1676_a_-13_EMSWORTH_car_on_Lincoln_Ave._near_Fremont_Ave._in_Bellevue_PA_on_June_26_1965_(26649280642).thumb.jpg.f2661de938590517d80065ac0d98a22b.jpg

I probably road this route too, maybe on the way to West View Amusement Park -

pittsburgh-trolley.jpg.485bf2c1b86f4b9b5b1947504a359937.jpg

• Like 15

4 hours ago, sailingdutchy said:

We will never forget ! 

Tony 

Thanks Tony! My sister Anneke (far left) and friends on Liberation Day in Amsterdam, May 5th, 1945 (the city was liberated by the heroes of the 1st Canadian Army). My parents frequently told me about those joyous times after five years of German occupation, including the 1944-1945 "hunger winter"

They also told about the Canadian Army band who played every weekend on the "Surinameplein" (Suriname square), about two blocks from our home. Just great times for the Amsterdam population , as well as the remainder of the northern half of the country (most of the south of Holland had been liberated by the U.S. and British Armies during the latter half of 1944. Also the reason, lots of Dutch girls wound up in Canada after meeting their Canadian husbands in Holland 😉, plus folks like yourself who left the little country to immigrate to Canada 

May be an image of 5 people, including Fransje Spijkerman, child, people standing and outdoors

• Like 21
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, mamaofami said:

What great news 👍 

• Like 8

On the Eurodam on March 20. 2019, we crossed the equator  & the International Dateline on the Vernal Equinox. So we are members of the the Royal and Ancient Order of Purple Porpoise Golden Shellback & have the certificates to prove it, signed by Capt. John Scott! The Purple Porpoise was added by way of a contest to come up with an appropriate title!

Edited by NextOne
  • Like 12

A bit late, but it’s still Cinco de Mayo. I have Lime Cilantro Chicken marinating in the refrigerator that I’m getting ready to put on the BBQ. It’s the companion recipe to the cauliflower-cremini dish from the Daily last week. Will add a cabbage salad and some wine and call it dinner.

Somehow we ended up with 5 bottles of leftover wine and a box of cardboardeaux, all with a single serving left. We got rid of 1 bottle last night, and I’m hoping we can empty the rest of 2 tonight. I want my refrigerator real estate back! 

Spent most of the afternoon building a potting bench. It’s this week’s project (likely to fall over into next week). The design was percolating for the past 6 months or so. Finished the design Monday and bought the wood yesterday. The price of redwood has really risen since I last played in wood. So if the project takes several days, it’s more time enjoying the hobby. 

• Like 10

1 hour ago, Copper10-8 said:

Thanks Tony! My sister Anneke (far left) and friends on Liberation Day in Amsterdam, May 5th, 1945 (the city was liberated by the heroes of the 1st Canadian Army). My parents frequently told me about those joyous times after five years of German occupation, including the 1944-1945 "hunger winter"

They also told about the Canadian Army band who played every weekend on the "Surinameplein" (Suriname square), about two blocks from our home. Just great times for the Amsterdam population , as well as the remainder of the northern half of the country (most of the south of Holland had been liberated by the U.S. and British Armies during the latter half of 1944. Also the reason, lots of Dutch girls wound up in Canada after meeting their Canadian husbands in Holland 😉, plus folks like yourself who left the little country to immigrate to Canada 

May be an image of 5 people, including Fransje Spijkerman, child, people standing and outdoors

And one of those Canadians was my uncle - actually I'm not positive he was there that day, but my grandmother had a letter from him dated July 24, 1945 in Delden!😀  

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Sharon in AZ said:

OMG!!  I did this too although not with school food, usually with treats given to me that I just couldn’t eat as a child. The one that I remember the most was Fig Newtons, yuck, because that was the one I got “caught” with when the snow melted. 

Sharon, you're my soul sister.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, mamaofami said:

Wonderful news!   When all these surgeries are done and successful, we need to have a party!

• Like 6

4 hours ago, mamaofami said:

Good news, so very pleased for you.

• Like 6

Thanks to Rich for the Daily, and Roy for the lists and photos.

We have crossed the Equator three times on the Volendam, with Captain Visser, Captain Bos and Captain Baijens. Have crossed the equator numerous times by air.

A surprise, a few minutes ago  there were 3 ships passing by, one was a livestock carrier heading North to Timaru.( recently a  Port of the day).

Take care everyone.

• Like 8

40 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

And one of those Canadians was my uncle - actually I'm not positive he was there that day, but my grandmother had a letter from him dated July 24, 1945 in Delden!😀  

Your uncle was part of the Greatest Generation! We are forever in debt to that generation who left their home countries to fight across both ponds for freedom! Many of those heroes never returned and lost their lives at a very young age! The Dutch, for one, will never forget and pay tribute to their liberators each year.

I had to look up Delden, thought perhaps it was Den Helder, the navy town which was my dad's birthplace. However, Delden is a municipality in the east of the Netherlands in the province of Overijssel, close to Germany. You learn something new every day 😉 

1920px-P6300205_Delden.JPG

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

Your uncle was part of the Greatest Generation! We are forever in debt to that generation who left their home countries to fight across both ponds for freedom! Many of those heroes never returned and lost their lives at a very young age! The Dutch, for one, will never forget and pay tribute to their liberators each year.

I had to look up Delden, thought perhaps it was Den Helder, the navy town which was my dad's birthplace. However, Delden is a municipality in the east of the Netherlands in the province of Overijssel, close to Germany. You learn something new every day 😉 

1920px-P6300205_Delden.JPG

Thanks for the information.  I only had the Field Post Office number, but one of my stamp friends found the location of that FPO at that date.  

• Like 8