Nieuw Amsterdam - Cabin Door Decorations?

Euby

I just put a deposit down for my first cruise on this ship.  Can someone share what the Cabin/Stateroom doors are like?  I'm assuming that they are magnetic.  However, I've been on ships that have had a louvered cabin door which made decorating it difficult.  Yes, I'm one of those people.  I have found it does help me find my way.  I've even gotten notes from other passengers saying they use it as a landmark when they are coming "home" in the evening.

• Like 3

I think it is Carnival Corporation policy to not allow door decorations.  I remember that on the Grand Asia, the NS concierges were requiring that the decorations be removed.  Some people got around it by draping something around their message box.   I left my decorating to interior surfaces, via Command strips.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Euby said:

I just put a deposit down for my first cruise on this ship.  Can someone share what the Cabin/Stateroom doors are like?  I'm assuming that they are magnetic.  However, I've been on ships that have had a louvered cabin door which made decorating it difficult.  Yes, I'm one of those people.  I have found it does help me find my way.  I've even gotten notes from other passengers saying they use it as a landmark when they are coming "home" in the evening.

Here is letter we received prohibiting door decorations on the 2018 World Cruise.   Small metal decorations, like refrigerator magnets, seemed to be tolerated on later cruises on other ships.  YMMV - Large paper or flammable material decorations were definitely not acceptable.

Door-Decorations058.pdf

I have used my CC door sign on ALL cruises on HAL (last one was Oct 2019 on Volendam) and have so far had no problems...Never yet been requested to take it down.  It is in a plastic sleeve and I affix it to the door with blue painters tape to insure no damage to door.515452357_CCSign.jpg.59635f2d413c81952e31a371b26d9500.jpg

• Like 2

DW is directionally challenged so we attach my avatar which is a 10 inch "tall" leprechaun that I tie by ribbon to the mail box outside our stateroom.  It is the perfect homing beacon!

To those who insist on turning Paddy VMax the leprechaun, upside down or back to front when you pass our stateroom, please desist. You will never find his crock of gold if you insist on being cruel to him. 😜

• Like 6
  • Haha 8

I found a fairly large sunflower that has a clip on the back that I attach to the mailbox. Had trouble on the last Princess ship though when there wasn't anything to attach it to so I found some tape that held it up. I've had neighbors thank me for the visual cue toward their cabin.

Thanks everyone for the responses!  I was primarily thinking of magnets like ones you see sold on Etsy for my decorating.  Certainly nothing that would intrude into the hallway.

• Like 1

On our Baltic cruise in 2017 aboard the Zuiderdam I ordered a flower arrangement for my wife for her birthday. HAL housekeeping attached three "Happy Birthday!" balloons to the daily announcement/mail holder next to the door. Quite a few passengers appreciated their placement as it helped to get their bearings toward their cabin!

I think that they're more lenient on certain sailings. We saw a lot more door decorations on holiday cruises than on "random week in March" voyages.

If you are directionally challenged, try buying some fluorescent or day glo printer paper and leaving notes in your own mailbox.

Edited by POA1
The CC wysiwyg editor is evil.

I use a small (4 inches by 8 inches) Seahawks logo held on by two small magnets and have never been questioned.  Incidentally, I have found the strongest small magnets I have seen on the old style Sonicare disposable toothbrushes.  The newer style uses a different, smaller brush that doesn't come with the magnets.

• Like 1

On 5/7/2021 at 1:48 PM, Mary229 said:

I keep it simple and use a decal, mine is just so I can find my cabin - yes I am one of those kinds with no internal compass.  

Decal?  Wouldn't that damage the surface when removed?

18 hours ago, Mary229 said:

It is a cling decal which sticks by static, no glue involved.

I'm curious, how does this help you find your cabin any better than the numbers that are already there?

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Sea42 said:

I'm curious, how does this help you find your cabin any better than the numbers that are already there?

I just look for the star.  the numbers all look alike but the Dallas cowboys star is ingrained, even though I am not a sports fan.  It is all about instant recognition.  Now that does not help me go in the right direction, so please ignore me if I pass your cabin 6 times.

• Haha 4

We were on the first leg  of the South American Grand Voyage last year. At one point, someone several doors down the corridor had a good-sized paper sign on the door (I don't recall how it was held up). The sign was almost as wide as the door, about 2 feet tall, and began a five-day count down for something unspecified. The number of days remaining changed daily.  Many on the deck wondered what it was all about. 

It turned out the staff had put it up to mark the traveler's inauguration (my word) into the President's Club, and the sign (ultimately changed to "Congratulations!"), was still up when we disembarked in Buenos Aires. 

• Like 1

The problem for me is that, while I can remember my stateroom number, I lose my bearings in the elevator and don't know which way to head. I would need a trail leading in the right direction from the elevator lobby.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, kochleffel said:

The problem for me is that, while I can remember my stateroom number, I lose my bearings in the elevator and don't know which way to head. I would need a trail leading in the right direction from the elevator lobby.

I'm with you, but I usually leave a trail of bread crumbs to follow.  LOL  Being left-right dyslexic doesn't help either, though.

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

• Like 1

3 hours ago, kochleffel said:

I won't swear to how it is on the new ships, but on the others, on passenger cabin decks, elevator banks open so you walk off the elevator facing forward. Once you know that, starboard has to be to the right, and port is to the left. Odd number cabins are starboard, while even number cabins are port. 

The only thing you have to think about is where is your cabin in regard to the specific elevator bank you are at---forward or aft. There are usually signs to help in that regard. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, ger_77 said:

I'm with you, but I usually leave a trail of bread crumbs to follow.  LOL  Being left-right dyslexic doesn't help either, though.

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

I’ve been plagued with left-right dyslexia all my life. Oddly enough, all my years  working on a ship I never confused port and starboard. Left and right were still a muddle, but port and starboard were always crystal clear. I have no idea what the difference is, but there you are. No wonder I love cruising - I can find my way around!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

I’ve been plagued with left-right dyslexia all my life. Oddly enough, all my years  working on a ship I never confused port and starboard. Left and right were still a muddle, but port and starboard were always crystal clear. I have no idea what the difference is, but there you are. No wonder I love cruising - I can find my way around!

We're soul sisters!  I could never have joined the armed forces, because if I had to do drills, my troop would be forever running laps because I would certainly turn left if they said right, etc.  It's made for some interesting road trips, though, when I tell DH to turn right, when I really mean left.  He finally got to the point where he taped a sticky note on the dashboard that he'd drawn on arrows with Left and Right on them .  LOL   I make lots of miles on ships because I turn the wrong way!

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

• Like 2