Explore again sail well

uktog

16 hours ago, jelayne said:

we have done some research and find that in our area we can get a PCR test with results in 3-6 hours ( not inexpensive).  So depending upon the availability of tests in your area it is possible that 1 test could be sufficient for both.  Some airports have testing facilities with even quicker turn-around times on tests, so if you live close to one of those that would be ideal.

Yes, we can get a rapid PCR test near us too, but crazy expensive.

On 5/15/2021 at 10:21 AM, laser2000 said:

Back on Topic

We are booked on the first Journey sailing out of Athens on 13th October and  will fly into Athens on the 12th.
If we have to take a PCR test within 72 hours of the flight  and then within 72 hours of the cruise it would be extremely difficult if not impossible  and very expensive to arrange and that's before your mind starts playing with the possibility of false positive results.

The Azamara Explore Well information is contradictory regarding testing.
In one section it states that all guests will be required to provide a negative SARS-CoV-2 test result.
In another section it states that they will be guided by the Local Ministry of Health to determine if SARS-Cov-2 testing will be required for guests.
Which is it and how are Azamara going to help facilitate the testing.?

Whilst I appreciate that these are difficult times  in 6 weeks  we will have to make our final payment.  We very much like the Azamara experience and although we have  concerns  being on the "first cruise" with lots of unknowns the issue regarding testing is a real deal breaker. 

I would also add that an important part of our holiday is to do self arranged sightseeing and again this would be a deal breaker if the only way you can leave the ship is on an Azamara Excursion.

I just hope that we get more clarity in the next 6 weeks. 

She may be incorrect, but my TA told me that it isn't Azamara that might require a negative test prior to boarding, but the country that you are flying into.  She said we could test at home before leaving or perhaps there would be testing at the airport at arrival.  That is the reason why it's stated "may require a negative test".  Her take was the cruise lines were trying to go along with each countries' requirements so they were able to continue cruising to and from the different ports.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Travels with Lisa said:

She may be incorrect, but my TA told me that it isn't Azamara that might require a negative test prior to boarding, but the country that you are flying into.  She said we could test at home before leaving or perhaps there would be testing at the airport at arrival.  That is the reason why it's stated "may require a negative test".  Her take was the cruise lines were trying to go along with each countries' requirements so they were able to continue cruising to and from the different ports.

It seemed clear to me that Azamara is requiring a negative COVID test. I would imagine, at least at this point in time, that  country flying to would as well.

• Like 1

I just checked and Greece is already welcoming Americans who can prove full vaccination without any further testing.  By the time of your cruise in October many other governmental and corporate bodies should have had time to catch up with the science.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Travels with Lisa said:

I totally agree with your TA's take on this!!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

I just checked and Greece is already welcoming Americans who can prove full vaccination without any further testing.  By the time of your cruise in October many other governmental and corporate bodies should have had time to catch up with the science.

Yes, the Greece website is very clear about this for all tourists https://travel.gov.gr/#/

I am less concerned about getting into Greece, I’m more concerned at getting back into Scotland.

I can’t risk going away and having to do 10 days even at home when I get back, it’s hard enough making arrangements with others to be away the short time.  In Scotland they are doing everything they can to stop us travelling- notice how England has the app to prove vaccination, we have nothing.....I bet they do have the technology ready but don’t want us to use it!  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

It’s not just as simple as who Greece will allow in, the list seems to be based on where tourists normally come from rather than the science. Some of the allowed countries are on the U.K. red list, the risk of new variants being passed across boarders must be high as it was last year.

Here in the U.K. we have a lot of concern about the Indian variant, unfortunately some other countries don’t have a clue about what variants they have circulating. Recently published figures show that 40% of countries do no genomic sequencing, the USA have done about 22% and the U.K. 40% of Covid genomic sequencing worldwide.

There’s a way to go before this pandemic is under control if we run head long into international travel then there’s a good chance we’ll be back in the same situation this coming winter, let’s get a greater number of the world population vaccinated first.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

I agree too. There's too much emphasis on financial need by countries such as Greece and it outweighs common sense.

If the Indian spike in the Bolton area has taught us anything it's to get the vaccine if you are able. There is no excuse to put others health and their freedoms at risk. 

Phil 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

23 minutes ago, excitedofharpenden said:

I agree too. There's too much emphasis on financial need by countries such as Greece and it outweighs common sense.

If the Indian spike in the Bolton area has taught us anything it's to get the vaccine if you are able. There is no excuse to put others health and their freedoms at risk. 

Phil 

Not just countries but the travel companies as well, some are telling potential customers to ignore government advice and travel to countries on the amber list. Prices are ridiculous one operator was offering 7 days all inclusive in a 4* Lanzarote resort including flights for £335pp in May with the required PCR tests at a subsidised £20. We know from last year many of those who should self isolate on return won’t, thankfully this year there appears to be many more who are being sensible.

• Like 3

Yes I too have been shocked at some promotions of agents and some cruise lines which are ignoring the position. We need to realise just because we are vaccinated until a higher percentage of the population has been covered aka 80% we have issues. Children and teenagers are now the super spreaders. 

I still fear for problems on the round UK cruises as unvaccinated guests are allowed on some. They risk putting all cruise line restarts at risk if issues crop up  

I still hope we can get back to cruising soon but remember Turkey has been welcoming us all for months and their rates are so bad they are on our red banned list. So the only information we should be relying on is where are we allowed BACK from without restrictions 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

If Greece accepts fully vaccinated visitors without a covid test then that would be a big plus, should Azamara  then follow suit and remove any test requirement to board the ship ?. Perhaps use temperature checks and any failing passengers being subject to antigen testing at the dockside to manage the risk.

Thinking of our cruise departing Athens on 13th October I have to keep reminding myself that this is a holiday for which I am making a significant full  payment for and not an ordeal which it is in danger of becoming.
We like Azamara and the on board experience, we particularly enjoy the food & service  so what will life be like on board under the new social distancing regime.  Yes a lot will depend on the passenger numbers but I doubt we will get any precise information regarding capacity limits but this is critical. My main concern being the capacity of the MDR which we tend to use for all of our Dinners,  Tables for 2 are all very close together and to try and provide any degree of  social distancing would have a massive impact on the restaurants capacity, Personally I don't want to eat out of a box or spend more time in the buffet, if tables have to be booked in all the restaurants how is this going to be done on a fair basis. we need to know.
Is the Azamazing evening  going to go ahead and what about the White Night Party, both very enjoyable events.
Azamara needs to make it crystal clear that privately booked shore excursions/self sightseeing is allowed and passengers will be allowed to leave the ship at the ports.  Only Greek Government action should stop this.
The ship's itinerary  is nearly  exclusively  Greek ports with one stop in Turkey.  Although I do want to visit Ephesus perhaps it would be simpler to make this a single country cruise.
Assuming that Greece gets on the Green list of countries we from the UK can visit then the UK Govt will require a covid antigen test before we return home, Azamara needs to consider how this can be achieved. 
As I say this needs to be an enjoyable holiday that we all benefit from, being disappointed disillusioned guinea pigs will be a disaster for all parties.
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, laser2000 said:

Is the Azamazing evening  going to go ahead and what about the White Night Party, both very enjoyable events.

Can't answer any of your other questions (only Azamara can so perhaps take a chance and call them to see if you can get a straight answer?)

But as for Azamazing Evenings, they are definitely off at least for the near future (Spring, 2022 at least).

Discussion is here

Nothing has been noted about White Night. . 

4 hours ago, ECCruise said:

Can't answer any of your other questions (only Azamara can so perhaps take a chance and call them to see if you can get a straight answer?)

But as for Azamazing Evenings, they are definitely off at least for the near future (Spring, 2022 at least).

Discussion is here

Nothing has been noted about White Night. . 

It’s true they are off, but being replaced by an onboard Destination Celebration with local talent (at least until 2022)

• Like 1

17 hours ago, laser2000 said:

If Greece accepts fully vaccinated visitors without a covid test then that would be a big plus, should Azamara  then follow suit and remove any test requirement to board the ship ?. Perhaps use temperature checks and any failing passengers being subject to antigen testing at the dockside to manage the risk.

Just for info, I had Covid just after Christmas, as did my husband. At no point did he have a high temperature and I only did so on a few occasions. When I did my test I had actually had no symptoms at all, including a high temperature, but did it because he had tested positive. My test came back positive and I did develop symptoms a few days later. He did the test only because he had lost his sense of taste and smell. Which is a long way of saying that, as a true indication of having Covid, the temperature check is pretty pointless.

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, Bobal said:

Just for info, I had Covid just after Christmas, as did my husband. At no point did he have a high temperature and I only did so on a few occasions. When I did my test I had actually had no symptoms at all, including a high temperature, but did it because he had tested positive. My test came back positive and I did develop symptoms a few days later. He did the test only because he had lost his sense of taste and smell. Which is a long way of saying that, as a true indication of having Covid, the temperature check is pretty pointless.

Yes  I agree that the temperature check is fairly cosmetic  but we need to consider that we are now fully vaccinated and should have little fear from covid & we should start to lead normal lives.  Otherwise what was the point in getting vaccinated?

As long as all passengers & crew are vaccinated then I would be happy to board with no testing.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, laser2000 said:

Yes  I agree that the temperature check is fairly cosmetic  but we need to consider that we are now fully vaccinated and should have little fear from covid & we should start to lead normal lives.  Otherwise what was the point in getting vaccinated?

As long as all passengers & crew are vaccinated then I would be happy to board with no testing.

What about the NY Yankees?

On 5/18/2021 at 8:20 AM, uktog said:

I am less concerned about getting into Greece, I’m more concerned at getting back into Scotland.

I can’t risk going away and having to do 10 days even at home when I get back, it’s hard enough making arrangements with others to be away the short time.  In Scotland they are doing everything they can to stop us travelling- notice how England has the app to prove vaccination, we have nothing.....I bet they do have the technology ready but don’t want us to use it!  

I notice that you can get a record of your vaccination through NHS inform https://www.nhsinform.scot/covid-19-vaccine/after-your-vaccine/get-a-record-of-your-coronavirus-covid-19-vaccination-status

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, tiggertom said:

Yes they announced this yesterday I think after a lot of pressure from GPS who were getting lots of requests. I’ve downloaded our records before the system crashes 😀

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Grandma Cruising said:

For those of us not from the US can you elaborate, please.

Please note this article is several days old.   To me (a pedestrian) it seems scientists perhaps don't know what to make of it yet.  The people got the J&J vaccine, only one of the "positives"  had symptoms (mild), the group travels together in pretty close quarters, and they're all subject to frequent testing.   

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/05/13/sports/baseball/gleyber-torres-yankees-covid.html

Guess what?  

NHS Scotland are aware some people are experiencing issues viewing their vaccination status online, and are working to resolve this. Please try again tomorrow.

Please do not phone the helpline as they will be unable to provide you with further information

6 hours ago, uktog said:

Yes they announced this yesterday I think after a lot of pressure from GPS who were getting lots of requests. I’ve downloaded our records before the system crashes 😀