What does Kitty do when you cruise?

shipgeeks

cat call's for a meeting.  They've left us, don't know if they're coming back. We may starve to death. Parrott looks at the cat , " I'll peck your eye's out "... cat looks at the dog  " you'll  be the first to go" ... dogs looks around ... 

image.jpeg.98041df3e91aa4d0e7dba7440b23d35b.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Yep, I'm  lucky enough to have a cat person living right next door, and we swap house/kitty sitting duties.  She also plays with them and sends photo updates

For anything longer than 10 days tho,  I do ask my sister to move in. Those 2 cats get into mischief if left unsupervised and  to their own devices too long. They are a bit rowdy after just 7 days, but do settle down.

I've considered boarding, but as you know, cats just do not like change. 

Then there's the "what, you've been gone???"  look we get upon return....

• Like 1

No cat, but when we had dogs we had a niece come stay at our house for the duration. That way we had dog care where the dogs were most comfortable and someone in the house so it didn't sit empty. That's always been our preference.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MJC said:

We have a wonderful catsitter who comes every day and stays long enough to play and cuddle. She also texts me wonderful photos of our Danica.

Ditto, we are very happy without pet sitter , she emails us there pictures daily, this way we have someone checking house daily  also. She also leaves out food for our local feral cat that’s visits daily, anything cat doesn’t eat possums will. 

3 hours ago, shipgeeks said:

Our Halifax boards with J and her cats, dogs, and children.  I think he's wondering if he could strike a better deal.  What do your cats do?

We only cruised once when we had our cat.She was thrilled to be hone by herself,watch her favorite TV shows,stock the fridge with her favorite foods and listed to great music.She did not know that my sister in law would be coming in every day to changer the litter,water and food.

Our next door neighbors have a cat too, so we switch off catsitting duties with them. We take care of theirs when they're gone; they take care of ours when we're gone. Ours is very ungrateful and hisses at our nice neighbor when she sees him. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I always had my neice stay with the fat fluffy boys, but now she lives thousands of miles away. I am just starting to consider who I should hire for our upcoming December cruise.  My question is what is a decent amount to pay either a service or an acquaintance?  I would like a daily visit, feed and scoop litter, and some play time if the cats will.  Thinking of a half hour visit.

I hire a cat sitter. Here in Austin TX there are plenty to choose from. It is about $15 for 15min visit. I have to pay more because I also have 6 hens to be let out of their coop, fed and then at dusk locked up again(so 2 visits a day).

3 hours ago, lobsternight said:

I always had my neice stay with the fat fluffy boys, but now she lives thousands of miles away. I am just starting to consider who I should hire for our upcoming December cruise.  My question is what is a decent amount to pay either a service or an acquaintance?  I would like a daily visit, feed and scoop litter, and some play time if the cats will.  Thinking of a half hour visit.

I pay $22 per visit plus a small surcharge for weekends & holidays.  My petsitter works for a service that is bonded & insured. Note, I pay the service directly & don't know what her cut is.

When my parents had cats (last one passed earlier this year), one of their neighbors would visit every day to put down wet food (there was an auto-feeder for dry) and check the water.  I stopped every couple days to provide company for an extended period of time and clean the litter box.

Please don't judge, we use to leave our cat every year for at least a week . We put out lots of food and water in two spots had two litter boxes .Never had a problem she was a very good cat never got in trouble (almost any way).

My sister once watched a cat for a friend .The first time she opens the door the cat runs out (a house cat) she can not find it .It all worked out in the end but no good deed goes un- punished 

5 hours ago, lobsternight said:

We have a friend who takes care of that for our furry and feathery ones when we take to the ocean We pay her $25 per day and leave her a bottle of wine or some such as well. It works quite nicely for all involved.

Originally, we had a pet sitter who would stop by our house every day.  Then the sitter decided to stop doing in-home visits and open a boarding facility, and that's what we've been using ever since.

I've known cats who would be fine with just extra food and water, but none of ours have been.