The Daily for Sunday May 23, 2021

richwmn

Today is Lucky Penny Day, World Turtle Day, and National Taffy Day

Life is the art of drawing sufficient conclusions from insufficient premises. - Samuel Butler

Meal suggestion for today - Sweet Potato Beef Stew

Drink of the Day - Rum Punch

Wine of the day - Clos du Bois Chardonnay - California - White

Port of the Day - Luanda Angola

At Sea Ionian Sea
Volendam Operations off Corfu GR

At Sea Mediterranean Sea
Eurodam Destination Limasol CY eta 5/25

At Sea Pacific
Koningsdam Destination San Diego eta Today
Noordam Destination La Paz MX eta 5/24

Corfu GR
Zaandam

Great Stirrup Cay
Nieuw Statendam

La Paz MX
Westerdam Anchorage
Zuiderdam Anchorage

Long Beach
Nieuw Amsterdam Anchorage

Torquay UK
Oosterdam

Venice IT
Rotterdam

0523Europe.thumb.png.b84edaedac372de985b8bb86b3ca3af6.png

0523USA.thumb.png.5338505f448a0d614cc6da73cdabce78.png

• Like 33
  • Thanks 4

Good morning and thanks for the Daily Report.

Looks like we're going to have a nice spring day here.  Sunny, breezy and a high of 17C.

An interesting collection of days, but, of course, no pennies in Canada (at least, not in general circulation😉).  Please be careful when driving to avoid turtles on the roads as they search for mates and make there way to a nesting site.  I love taffy too.

Interesting quote.

Great meal suggestion, I look forward to seeing a recipe.

The drink of the day and the wine should be good too.

Another port I have not visited, so thanks in advance to those who will post pictures.

Sending prayers for all on the Care List.  A toast to all who have something to celebrate.

Stay safe.

• Like 24

Good morning and thanks for the update.

I can’t wait for some cooler temperatures. another 90 degrees and humid day here.

I’m off to church early today. The senior pastor of our sister church is retiring after 40 years to the day of his ordination 🙏❤️
       Blessings and prayers to all on our lists.

• Like 21

Good morning.  Always pick up a penny when I see one on the ground.  Turtles and Taffy, interesting combination.  And the quote is interesting as well.  Not sure about the meal, sweet potatoes in a stew doesn't appeal to me.

Have not been to Angola, looking forward to the photo's.

Had a wonderful day yesterday cruising the canals in Lake Placid on a pontoon. So relaxing.

Prayers and toasts to our lists.

Stay safe, social distance, and please continue to wear your mask.

Rum Punch:

Ingredients
1 cup of orange juice
1 cup of pineapple juice
1/4 cup lime juice
1/4 cup rum
1/4 cup dark rum
1/2 cup of grenadine

In a pitcher, combine the juices, the rum, and the grenadine. Stir. Pour into ice-filled glasses and serve with an orange slice and maraschino cherries.

Screen Shot 2021-05-23 at 7.07.32 AM.png

• Like 30
  • Thanks 2

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich! Jacqui & Roy, thank you for our lists! Summer & Debbie, I really appreciate the recipe digging you do!

Just a quick pop in before an early morning hike with Bindi. And I have promised myself I am getting in my pool today, so it better be warm enough. Have a super day everyone!

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Stay well everyone!

All released vintages of this Chardonnay have very good ratings and reasonable prices, so you can’t go wrong. The info below focuses on the 2016 vintage which has an average price of $13.00!

Winemaker Notes

Brilliant silver straw yellow in color. Intense aromas of apple blossom, ripe pear, and sweet lemon drop are complemented by toasty oak, spice, and cream. In the mouth, the silky texture of the wine is overlaid with bright, juicy flavors of ripe apple and pear for a long and fresh finish.

This crisp, refreshing Chardonnay will complement a variety of foods, including fish prepared in lemon butter sauce, pasta in cream sauce, and herb-roasted chicken.

WW89 Wilfred Wong of Wine.com: Clos du Bois, one of California's longest standing names in the marketplace continues to be a popular choice for the consumer basket satisfying those who are looking for well-made, no-nonsense wines. The 2016 Chardonnay is a workhorse on the dinner table. TASTING NOTES: This wine is fresh, pert, and crisp. Its aromas and flavors of ripe apples and tart citrus should pair famously with grilled shrimp over a bed of salad greens and other crunchy vegetables.      

• Like 29
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the Daily, Rich and our morning smile 🙂 

Lucky Penny Day reminds me of that old rhyme.  See a penny pick it up, all the day you’ll have good luck.  No luck here as no pennies.

440ED8B9-124B-4C92-9756-E379FA8A7EB8.thumb.jpeg.aaeb9778b39f554cc7e9e5531ba09e34.jpeg

World Turtle day is so important.  There are sanctuaries that support and help the eggs hatch which need our support.

D43384CF-9B2A-49AD-97D0-BD10569A290B.jpeg.21ca86b5bf96006f0191231240ab47c9.jpeg

Love Taffy but my teeth don’t.  That quote of Butler’s is a good one and right on!  YAY, another white wine.  Looking forward to hearing cat’s description.

@1ANGELCATfeel free to send some of your heat our way.  It was miserably cold yesterday with a cold rain and a cold wind.  All my babies had to stay inside and I got nothing done outside.  Depressing.  Sadly they are calling for the same type of weather today.  If the sun peaks out for a few hours before the next deluge, I’m going to try to get some planters arranged at least.  Depressing, I see wine on the menu tonight.

Today’s Care List:

Kakalina and prayers for possible surgery

Welfare of furloughed crews

Garlictown recovery from arm surgery

StLouisCruisers’s DS surgery recovery & DB’s struggle with insurance to pay for operation

57redbird’s DH’s recovery, rehab and she as caregiver

St. Louis Sal’s drug trial

Sharon in Az’s ear

Mary229’s 2 sisters with lymphoma.

NextOne’s DH sent back to hospital from rehab

Garden Club participants - don’t forget to give your new climbing vines a little hand or help until they find their way up their trellises, fences, etc.

Prayers for everyone on the Care list & for those that need them and 🥂 to those on the Celebratory / Shout Out list.

CDEC452E-B8E2-4A89-A9C2-4EB55D783F11.thumb.jpeg.5e24f32b97e1753b7e305fd383490362.jpeg

Have a great Sunday everyone!  Stay safe and please don’t forget your masks 😷 

• Like 31
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 1

Thank you for the Sunday Daily, Rich, and Kazu for continuing the care list.   While I love taffy, I really shouldn't be eating it.  I suspect Lucky Pennies are a bit of an anachronism in Canada where I think many are celebrating Victoria Day weekend.  A big salute to turtles.  The quote is very interesting.  I've never been to Angola.  The beef stew sounds nice.  My alternative is Pineapple Boat, Rack of Lamb with with Tomato Couscous, and Garlic Pearls, and Black Forest Cake as served on MS Prinsendam May 23, 2015.

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Welcome aboard Mike07

Teachers, school workers and at home surrogates

Front Line Health Care Workers

Cease fire in Palestine

Jabs for HAL crew (While we haven’t heard specifically I suspect Ft. Lauderdale and Los Angeles besides San Deigo)

Easing cruise restrictions

My continuing improvement

JazzyV accepted for her study

First jab for Vict0riann’s DD in Gander

USNA Class of 24 completing Plebe Year

Kazu covering for me

and Sabine, HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 35
  • Thanks 4

Good morning, everyone.   

It was a late night last night, mainly because of the neighbor's dog who barked until the wee hours.  Every time I would drift off to sleep, the dog would start in.  

I'm all for the turtles, but don't care for taffy.  Every time we traveled between our home in Michigan and Grandma's home in New York, my parents bought us taffy.  I suspect that was because it shut us up for a while.  Can you imagine 550 miles with six kids in the car?  

Today is another warm one with the possibility of showers tonight.  We actually need them as we haven't had a drop of rain in two weeks now.  We go from one extreme to another.  

The drink sounds kind of sweet to me, but I'll take the wine.   

Today's meal is a good one for a cold night.   We might want to store the recipe for later.   It says it does freeze well, so you could make a batch and put it in your version of an ice cave.   I think the sweet potatoes give it some interest.   I have a soup recipe that uses sweet potatoes and they are good.

https://damndelicious.net/2019/02/16/sweet-potato-beef-stew/

Sweet-Potato-Beef-StewIMG_8534.jpg

• Like 25
  • Thanks 3

Thanks for the daily,

Happy to celebrate turtle day, its nesting season here in South Florida and it looks like there was another nest made last night on the beach. Waiting for "turtle man" to do his morning rounds and inspect it. If it is a nest it will be cordoned off so no beach beds or walkers disturb it. So far there are 3 nests I can see from my balcony this season.

The county park system has a program where you can sign up and watch the babies being released, we try to do it every year. These are from nests that have to be relocated for safety. It is so hard watching the hatchlings as they struggle to  go to the ocean, but they cannot be helped due to state regulations.

M

• Like 24

Thanks for the daily report Rich and good morning dailyites.  I hope that I find a lucky penny today.  I think turtles are cool but I don’t eat much taffy.  The meal today doesn’t really grab me but I love a well made rum punch.  The quote is very true.  I haven’t been to today’s port so I can’t wait to see others’ photos.  Have a nice Sunday everyone, prayers to all on the list.  We have some planting to finish up before it gets too hot today, too early for this kind of heat.

• Like 19

Good Sunday morning everyone!  Another sunny and warm day in Georgia.  I'm happy to hear it's Lucky Penny Day.  I always pick up a penny for good luck, though they are usually in tough shape when I find them.  I love turtles (except snapping turtles) and rescue them from harm whenever I can.  As a child we had the tiny ones for pets in our rooms.  I can skip Taffy Day - a bit hard to chew.  As for sweet potato beef stew, I'm not sure of that combination but I'd try it once just to see.  @summer slopeI had no idea there was a Lake Placid in Florida.  It sounds like a very restful day floating around on a pontoon boat enjoying the scenery.

Thanks to @richwmnfor today's Daily, and the same to @kazufor her contribution and help here.  Great to see @rafinmdback here dipping his toes into the water with our celebration list.  Prayers for all who need it and cheers for those who have reason to celebrate.  I was hoping to be able to take a few people off the care list but so far, nope!

From reading CC I think the cruise lines are also giving vaccines to crew in Port Canaveral.  The faster that can be done the better.  So happy with the moves to get cruise lines cruising this year.  

Today's port of Luanda, Angola is scheduled for us on Nov. 30, 2022, only 18 months from now.  We've all missed a lot of ports in the past 14 months but I hope we can rectify that situation quickly once things start moving faster.  I hope we see a few photos of Luanda today.  Start digging into the archives.

With DH gone all day yesterday I got busy (between peeks at the Daily) and did the week's laundry, swiffered/dust mopped the entire main level of my house, and cleaned two windows inside and out in the upstairs sunroom that we use for observing the scenery behind us.  The other windows are blocked by furniture which I couldn't move by myself.  Just this past week we've been seeing one deer who visits the area between our house and the golf course.  One night he stood there for 30 minutes munching on grass and wildflowers.  I also pulled weeds in the pine straw on two sides of the house, then cleaned all 5 toilets.  The last is not my favorite chore, but if I don't do them all on the same day I forget which one needs cleaning next.  It's best to keep them on a routine, sort of like doing the laundry on Saturday and the sheets on Sunday.  That way you never get off track.  Let's see what I can get done today.

Edited by StLouisCruisers
  • Like 20

1 hour ago, cat shepard said:

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich! Jacqui & Roy, thank you for our lists! Summer & Debbie, I really appreciate the recipe digging you do!

Just a quick pop in before an early morning hike with Bindi. And I have promised myself I am getting in my pool today, so it better be warm enough. Have a super day everyone!

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Stay well everyone!

All released vintages of this Chardonnay have very good ratings and reasonable prices, so you can’t go wrong. The info below focuses on the 2016 vintage which has an average price of $13.00!

Winemaker Notes

Brilliant silver straw yellow in color. Intense aromas of apple blossom, ripe pear, and sweet lemon drop are complemented by toasty oak, spice, and cream. In the mouth, the silky texture of the wine is overlaid with bright, juicy flavors of ripe apple and pear for a long and fresh finish.

This crisp, refreshing Chardonnay will complement a variety of foods, including fish prepared in lemon butter sauce, pasta in cream sauce, and herb-roasted chicken.

WW89 Wilfred Wong of Wine.com: Clos du Bois, one of California's longest standing names in the marketplace continues to be a popular choice for the consumer basket satisfying those who are looking for well-made, no-nonsense wines. The 2016 Chardonnay is a workhorse on the dinner table. TASTING NOTES: This wine is fresh, pert, and crisp. Its aromas and flavors of ripe apples and tart citrus should pair famously with grilled shrimp over a bed of salad greens and other crunchy vegetables.      

Thank you Ann for today's wine review.  I drink this quite a bit. It's a good table wine. Have fun with Bindi, and wear a wet suit if your pool is too cold.. lol

• Like 11
  • Haha 1

Good Morning from a warm and sunny day at the beach.

Finally the wind has died down, so it should be better today. Boat races continue today. Yesterday they had to cancel some of the smaller boat races because of the surf. Going to do it all today. Will be a very noisy day!

This is turtle nesting season, so we will celebrate the turtles. No taffy for me anymore, although  I do like it. Have not been to todays port. Waiting for the pictures. Love seeing all the pictures.

@StLouisCruisers They are vaccinating the crews at Port Canaveral. Royal Caribbean Ship there yesterday. Almost like the "old days" with ships coming and going. Great to see!

Yesterday I was the plant waterer. 2 of my neighbors are away and I am watering the plants. One of them has a lot! Hopefully they will survive me for another 2 weeks!

Be safe and enjoy today

• Like 18

48 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

From reading CC I think the cruise lines are also giving vaccines to crew in Port Canaveral.  The faster that can be done the better.  So happy with the moves to get cruise lines cruising this year.  

Yes they are getting the vaccine shots. Videos have been on Orlando TV channels.

• Like 12

11 minutes ago, cunnorl said:

Yesterday I was the plant waterer. 2 of my neighbors are away and I am watering the plants. One of them has a lot! Hopefully they will survive me for another 2 weeks!

Oh my!  One of the reasons I cruise earlier in spring and later in Fall.  I wouldn’t want to impose on anyone to water all my planters.

That gives me the idea that tomorrow’s garden club tip will be how to avoid having to water so much - be sure to share it with your neighbours with all those plants 😉 

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

Good  morning  and  thanks  for  the  lists,recipes,quote and  port  of  the  day. I  keep  the  green  thumbed DD  in  the  loop  with  the  gardening  tips  and  they  are  appreciated  as  well. My  children  grew  up  in  an  apartment  and  I  notice  they  have  both  taken  to  gardening  in  their  adult  lives. As  long  as  I  keep  away  from  the  plants  they  seem  to  do  well.

It  is  another  warm  day  here but  we  are  planning  our  first  outdoor  BBQ for  later  in  the  day. It  was  fun  to  make  potato  salad again and  find  a  new  dessert  recipe. We  decided  on  "icebox  cake" from  our  childhoods-the  whipped  cream  and  chocolate  wafer  delight. I  will  save  the  recipe  for  another  day.

I  look  forward  to  pictures.  DH   and  I  worked  with  a  great  woman  from  Angola  who  told  us  so  much  about  her  country.  Her  food  was  to  die  for.              Terry     

• Like 18

👍Thank You for the Daily, Rich @richwmn and to Jacqui @kazu for the Care List and now to Roy @rafinmd for the the Celebration List! 😊

We have been to the port of the day and will be looking forward to some photos. 😉

My daughter~in~law prefers Chardonnay so any that is "buttery" will be her favorite.

More countries phasing out the penny..Netherlands,  Australia,  New Zealand, Finland, Sweden and Canada.

🙏 Prayers for all in need...we'll be listening to our church service from home. 🎧

Katie

4_dGIoclyAvt.gif

• Like 19