Covid among Royal Carribean crew

atexsix

46 minutes ago, cruiserchuck said:

It is my understanding that the States/Pharmacy providers are billing your medical insurance company, so i hope they are also billing private companies like cruise lines for shots provided to their employees who may not have medical insurance.  

39 minutes ago, kelleherdl said:

Not true.  Covid vaccinations in the US are FREE, (well paid for by the taxpayers) even for foreign nationals.  No insurance, no payments.

Dennis

The vaccine is FREE.  Some providers are billing insurance companies for an administration charge (similar to an office visit).  There is a fund to pay for those without insurance and many (like my health department) do not even try to collect any reimbursement.  This will vary by state, county, or other government or commercial provider.

Roy

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

The vaccine is FREE.  Some providers are billing insurance companies for an administration charge (similar to an office visit).  There is a fund to pay for those without insurance and many (like my health department) do not even try to collect any reimbursement.  This will vary by state, county, or other government or commercial provider.

Roy

It may very well be that ports, like Miami and Port Canaveral are receiving some reimbursement from cruise lines for setting up vaccinations facilities. I scanned their press releases, none mentioned they were.  My post and your post spoke to the ‘shots’.  The shots are FREE as they are for anybody.  

Dennis

1 hour ago, kelleherdl said:

Not true.  Covid vaccinations in the US are FREE, (well paid for by the taxpayers) even for foreign nationals.  No insurance, no payments.

Dennis

When I signed up for my shots, I was asked for my insurance information and advised that my insurance company would be charged.  I just looked into this more, and learned that the provider cannot charge the insurance company for the vaccine itself, but can charge a fee for administering the shot. 

https://www.hhs.gov/sites/default/files/provider-covid-vaccine-factsheet.pdf

1 minute ago, cruiserchuck said:

When I signed up for my shots, I was asked for my insurance information and advised that my insurance company would be charged.  I just looked into this more, and learned that the provider cannot charge the insurance company for the vaccine itself, but can charge a fee for administering the shot. 

As you stated in one of your earlier posts policies vary by locale and state.  My vaccinations were administered by the Florida Department of Health.  NO INSURANCE QUESTION.  Both my shots were administered by Brevard County EMS paramedics.  

2 hours ago, cruiserchuck said:

It is my understanding that the States/Pharmacy providers are billing your medical insurance company, so i hope they are also billing private companies like cruise lines for shots provided to their employees who may not have medical insurance.  

Totally agree with @kelleherdl. The rumors that are out there...

As far as the costs and the states giving vaccines:  Here in Texas and likely elsewhere they are using the clause in the program that includes people who significantly contribute to the state economy.   

12 hours ago, cruiserchuck said:

I heard from neighbors medicare was be billed $39 administrative fee.  I have private insurance and they were billed $45 each for our shots.  The government is giving free vaccine but someone has to pay to set up all the facilities and people that were administering the vaccines, so bill your insurance.

I too am curious if cruiselines are paying an administrative fee for crew.

51 minutes ago, Sea42 said:

I received my shots at our small, locally owned pharmacy ( 2 locations). They were set up at the local VFW hall. They did not ask for any insurance information.

We received ours at the county health clinic, and were not asked for any insurance information.

I once got my flu shot from them at an alternate site, and was asked for my insurance information. They did say, however, that they really did not expect to be compensated by the insurance company.

3 hours ago, Sea42 said:

I received my shots at our small, locally owned pharmacy ( 2 locations). They were set up at the local VFW hall. They did not ask for any insurance information.

We got our 2 shots via a drive through clinic, setup in a high school parking lot, by the state health agency (SC DHEC). No insurance information had to be provide. Surprisingly too, we did not even have to provide any proof of identification. 

3 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

I heard from neighbors medicare was be billed $39 administrative fee.  I have private insurance and they were billed $45 each for our shots.  The government is giving free vaccine but someone has to pay to set up all the facilities and people that were administering the vaccines, so bill your insurance.

I too am curious if cruiselines are paying an administrative fee for crew.

From my understanding of the CARES Act, that is not supposed to be happening if the COVID shots was the only service you received. 

We received our shots of Pfizer thru site set up by our county health dept back in March.   We had to provide insurance info when we scheduled our appointment online but did not have to show anything when we went for the appt.     We did show ID to get in the front door, which I found odd as they didn't check it against anything.   It was like getting carded at a bar when I was younger.

15 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

We received our shots of Pfizer thru site set up by our county health dept back in March.   We had to provide insurance info when we scheduled our appointment online but did not have to show anything when we went for the appt.     We did show ID to get in the front door, which I found odd as they didn't check it against anything.   It was like getting carded at a bar when I was younger.

We also had to show out ID to get into the county health clinic to get our shots. It was checked against a lists of appointments.

My son is a contractor working on completing the theater installations on the Odyssey. He boarded the ship before it left from Bremerhaven for sea trials.  Flew out of the US on the morning of the day he could have been vaccinated here in the US.  Quarantined on arrival in Germany.  Quarantined again when he boarded the ship.  There has been constant testing. Once on the ship, NOBODY is allowed to go ashore.  Yes, he has not set foot on land since early March!  Anyone new goes into 2 week quarantine.  Those already on board rotate through another quarantine when a large contingent, like the entertainment staff, comes on board, just in case there have been any accidental contacts. So far only a handful of people have been identified with COVID-19 and have immediately been transferred ashore.  Many on the ship were expected to receive the vaccine when they reached Haifa, Israel but first there was a mix-up, no vaccine available, and then the war.  Right now they are mid-Atlantic and hoping for vaccine as soon as they arrive in the US.

• Like 2

On 5/25/2021 at 7:23 PM, rafinmd said:

Roy

Our insurance provider was charged only $40 per shot by Walgreens, Walmart and Kroger, 2 for me and dh (Pfizer) and 1 for ds (JnJ). We paid nothing. Whatever our government paid for us and whoever they give this vaccine too, it is all well worth it to us as US citizens. THAT is tax dollars well spent for the true good of mankind and how often can I say that?! We are really reaping the healthy benefits here in Nashville. 

Edited by fatcat04
  • Like 2

On 5/25/2021 at 6:32 AM, KirkNC said:

Unfortunately this will be played very unfavorably in the media:

Would you like to borrow my shocked face? :classic_biggrin:

• Like 1

10 hours ago, the2ofus said:

My son is a contractor working on completing the theater installations on the Odyssey. He boarded the ship before it left from Bremerhaven for sea trials.  Flew out of the US on the morning of the day he could have been vaccinated here in the US.  Quarantined on arrival in Germany.  Quarantined again when he boarded the ship.  There has been constant testing. Once on the ship, NOBODY is allowed to go ashore.  Yes, he has not set foot on land since early March!  Anyone new goes into 2 week quarantine.  Those already on board rotate through another quarantine when a large contingent, like the entertainment staff, comes on board, just in case there have been any accidental contacts. So far only a handful of people have been identified with COVID-19 and have immediately been transferred ashore.  Many on the ship were expected to receive the vaccine when they reached Haifa, Israel but first there was a mix-up, no vaccine available, and then the war.  Right now they are mid-Atlantic and hoping for vaccine as soon as they arrive in the US.

Truly hope his timing works out better in the future for receiving his vaccinations.