Covid among Royal Carribean crew

atexsix

Containment for Covid isn't terribly different than what they do for norovirus, so they should have pretty robust protocols in place already anyway, on top of a good year to prepare.

I know Galveston and Mobile are vaccinating crew as they come into port.  I think perhaps Seattle has the same plan.   Hopefully RCCL will work with their US ports to do likewise 

2 hours ago, rsldonk said:

Containment for Covid isn't terribly different than what they do for norovirus, so they should have pretty robust protocols in place already anyway, on top of a good year to prepare.

Ummm, Covid is spread (mainly)* through aerosol and droplet transmission, and noro is fecal-oral. BIG difference. You won’t get noro from breathing in air with an infected person’s virus in it.

Spread through fomites is thought to be rare. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TiogaCruiser said:

Ummm, Covid is spread (mainly)* through aerosol and droplet transmission, and noro is fecal-oral. BIG difference. You won’t get noro from breathing in air with an infected person’s virus in it.

Spread through fomites is thought to be rare. 

but containment is similar.  Keep everything spotless clean (covers both the fecal oral and the droplets).  If someone shows symptoms, you quarantine them in their room.  Handwashing/sanitation for both.  So yeah, most of what they do for noro they would do for covid, with the addition of masks.

4 hours ago, Mary229 said:

I know Galveston and Mobile are vaccinating crew as they come into port.  I think perhaps Seattle has the same plan.   Hopefully RCCL will work with their US ports to do likewise 

San Diego and Long Beach are for Carnival Corp ships, started last week. Not heard of any ships in the Seattle area. Source?

7 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

San Diego and Long Beach are for Carnival Corp ships, started last week. Not heard of any ships in the Seattle area. Source?

It must have been California, no Seattle, I was thinking about as later I went back for a source and California was in my typical sources.

6 hours ago, jakers said:

The Nieuw Amsterdam is in Los Angeles before heading to Seattle. Probably a good place to pick up crew members and get them vaccinated.

According to the other thread on the topic, they are getting Pfizer, so need to wait 3 weeks for the second dose. Plus more crew are arriving,  so more first doses. It will take awhile to crew up, and vaccinate. 

52 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

According to the other thread on the topic, they are getting Pfizer, so need to wait 3 weeks for the second dose. Plus more crew are arriving,  so more first doses. It will take awhile to crew up, and vaccinate. 

Pfizer along with Moderna is a two-dose vaccination.  J&J is the one-dose vaccination in the US.

Dennis

1 hour ago, kelleherdl said:

Pfizer along with Moderna is a two-dose vaccination.  J&J is the one-dose vaccination in the US.

Dennis

Very aware of that. HAL just started vaccinating crew last week on the West Coast, using Pfizer. So 3 weeks later, those first vaccinated last week will need to return for second dose. Meanwhile,  more crew will be arriving,  and will likely start the vaccination cycle. 

Using J&J would simplify things, but the original thread on the topic said the contractor CCL is using is giving Pfizer.

1 hour ago, CruiserBruce said:

Using J&J would simplify things, but the original thread on the topic said the contractor CCL is using is giving Pfizer.

Since the J&J has much less onerous shipping and storage requirements, the stated plan was to send most of it to the more rural areas of the US which don't have the capability for the cold storage needed for the Moderna or Pfizer vaccines. So it makes sense that the major port would be getting those vaccines. Also I wonder who is supplying the vaccines? Did the cruise lines have to contract them on the open market or our tax $$ going to fund this.  

38 minutes ago, KirkNC said:

Most only read the headlines, that’s all it takes.

And the writer of an article is usually not the one who writes the headline. And the writer is often also unhappy with the headline.

1 hour ago, KirkNC said:

Most only read the headlines, that’s all it takes.

Yes  a article like that can cause some damages  .We trust that the PR department  will counter the article with a positive spin 

5 hours ago, drowelf said:

Since the J&J has much less onerous shipping and storage requirements, the stated plan was to send most of it to the more rural areas of the US which don't have the capability for the cold storage needed for the Moderna or Pfizer vaccines. So it makes sense that the major port would be getting those vaccines. Also I wonder who is supplying the vaccines? Did the cruise lines have to contract them on the open market or our tax $$ going to fund this.  

There is a thread here discussing the CCL vaccination program, including naming the contractor. Can't give you the link right now.

Because the vaccines are under EUA, they can't be sold in the open market, and ALL doses in the US are bought and paid for by the US government. Whether or not the government can bill the contractor is an unknown. I would think so.

2 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

There is a thread here discussing the CCL vaccination program, including naming the contractor. Can't give you the link right now.

Because the vaccines are under EUA, they can't be sold in the open market, and ALL doses in the US are bought and paid for by the US government. Whether or not the government can bill the contractor is an unknown. I would think so.

It is my understanding that the States/Pharmacy providers are billing your medical insurance company, so i hope they are also billing private companies like cruise lines for shots provided to their employees who may not have medical insurance.  

11 minutes ago, cruiserchuck said:

It is my understanding that the States/Pharmacy providers are billing your medical insurance company, so i hope they are also billing private companies like cruise lines for shots provided to their employees who may not have medical insurance.  

Not true.  Covid vaccinations in the US are FREE, (well paid for by the taxpayers) even for foreign nationals.  No insurance, no payments.

Dennis

Edited by kelleherdl
  • Like 2