Royal Caribbean’s “Tracelet” being used for cruises

On 5/30/2021 at 11:29 AM, Ashland said:

Yes...and too bad they expect you to "wear" them. I would rather put in a pocket.

If you wear it visibly, nobody will hassle you to show that you have it with you. Wearing it on a lanyard will probably work too. 

I'd imagine the amount of patience with people who "forgot it in my cabin" will be thin.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

That’s exactly where they should be. Locked away until they can prove in 3-5 days that they don’t have COVID. The vaccine prevents you from getting seriously ill WHEN you catch Covid. It does not prevent you from catching it. 

Huh?

21 hours ago, nelblu said:

I think your math is off.  228m is the estimated infected from C19 and a range of 6-8m deaths.

You're right. 

I hate it when I put in specific search terms and get a bunch of other information mixed in.

Still, worldwide it's a staggering number, and I feel too many people become numb to the amount after hearing it so often for so long.  The point is to keep ourselves and those around us safe and still live our lives the best we can.

25 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

Are they using the RCL tracelet on Quantum, or the Singapore government contact tracer? 

I believe it's both, though the Singapore tracer can be substituted with an app.

This is a video from some cruise bloggers that went on the first MSC UK cruise this month.  MSC is using the tracelet technology, but it is also an interesting video because it covers all of the health protocols and how they impact the cruise experience.  MSC is not requiring vaccines and the protocols apply to all passengers, vaccinated or unvaccinated, because of the mix.  

• Like 1

23 hours ago, ace2542 said:

They don't know when you are in the public bathroom though do they?

Actually they can go back and see when you entered and left.  Long story but something happened in one where I was left stranded by a vomiting stranger/passenger in the entrance of the stalls area.  It was witnessed by a crew member who walked away and left me there....I ended up having to walk through it after several minutes of waiting.  As it was a safety issue I reported it.  They retrieved the tapes a week later and got back to me.  

On 5/31/2021 at 9:13 AM, Ocean Boy said:

Hypothetical just like most of what we talk abour lately. If you don't care about being confined to your cabin only because you were in the wrong place at the wrong time so be it.  Medicine has taught me to consider possibilites ahead of time and not to wait until they slap you in the face.

I am there with you, but I am having a hard time thinking this is what they will do. There is no guidance out there from CDC, or even to healthcare providers that contact tracing needs to occur with anyone with less than a 10 minute exposure time, and of course when PPE is used it changes the resulting guidance anyway.

I certainly hope that RCI would not change that to a passing second. I do think though, especially if they will not require vaccines, that there is always the possibility of being quarantined to your cabin for being in the wrong place at the wrong time. It is not that I don't care about it... I am willing to risk time in my cabin in order to be on the ship. Just me.

On 5/30/2021 at 12:55 PM, BecciBoo said:

But you will most likely carry the most Orwellian device that all of us own 24/7, your cell phone....right.

But the tracelet doesn't do anything for you like a phone. The tracelet only does things for others. To me there is a huge difference between the two devices. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Goodtime Cruizin said:

But the tracelet doesn't do anything for you like a phone. The tracelet only does things for others. To me there is a huge difference between the two devices. 

They both track your A all over the place.........

7 minutes ago, Goodtime Cruizin said:

Yes of course, but the tracelet doesn't surf the web, ft the grandkids etc. Big difference. Again one does things for you, the other does things for someone else. 

The poster was specifically addressing the device for tracking...and so was my comment, they both are capable of the Orwellian tracking premise. 🙄

• Haha 1

On 5/30/2021 at 7:47 PM, BirdTravels said:

That’s exactly where they should be. Locked away until they can prove in 3-5 days that they don’t have COVID. The vaccine prevents you from getting seriously ill WHEN you catch Covid. It does not prevent you from catching it. 

You aren't saying person "A" a Fully Vaccinated Person happens to be in same area as person "B" later found to be CV positive that then Person "A" should be "Locked away until they can prove in 3-5 days that they don’t have COVID" do you?

I don't understand why a fully vaccinated person would need to wear a tracelet anyway.  The science now says that a fully vaccinated person does not need to isolate or test when exposed to covid unless they have symptoms.  So have the unvaccinated wear the tracelets.  

• Like 2

On 5/30/2021 at 12:46 PM, SeaHunt said:

Here's a picture of a Quantum tracelet:

image.png.f2eb0e7ad7f6d74e87eaaed4ce9522ee.png

The "tracelet" looks like something Disney or Princess developed in a lab and then sent to a factory to be made by the thousands. Question: can it be used to order drinks, unlock cabin doors, and buy stuff aboard, or it just used to trace people aboard and/or ashore? Can you get a tracelet in a particular color or is it issued in just one color? Thanks.

On 5/31/2021 at 12:33 PM, hellsop said:

If you wear it visibly, nobody will hassle you to show that you have it with you. Wearing it on a lanyard will probably work too. 

I'd imagine the amount of patience with people who "forgot it in my cabin" will be thin.

I'm guessing that if the tracelet were worn on a lanyard, it will probably resemble Princess's Ocean Medallion. That said, I wouldn't mind having it around my neck as a lanyard or as a bracelet on my right wrist. That said, what happens while you're wearing the device? For example, if you're in a queue at the security checkpoint to debark the ship for a shore excursion, does a crew member approach you to take a reading on a scanner? 

On 5/30/2021 at 2:09 PM, reallyitsmema said:

They are only on Quantum at this point as Singapore had trackers on all of their residents and made them a requirement on the ship.  There is no information supporting the OP statement that an email was sent to future cruisers.  Very few ships use the Wow bands and I would be very surprised to see these tracelets on the ships sailing in the near future, other than Quantum.

Regarding the Wow bands, do they function like Disney's MagicBands, enabling resort guests and park visitors to not only unlock hotel room doors, but also enter the parks, and buy stuff at the food and souvenir stands? I ask because the last time I was aboard an RCCL ship was in December '18 for an Allure cruise, and that ship didn't have Wow bands for its pax. So which RCCL ships do require them to be worn?