DeSantis nearing compromise on cruise vaccination requirements

5 hours ago, TNcruising02 said:

Thankfully, we live in a country where we are all free to choose whether or not we want to receive an emergency use vaccination.  It seems to be completely ignored that people who have had covid develop immunities that may or may not be better than the vaccine.  There have been studies that suggest those covid infection immunities may even last a lifetime.  There are other studies suggesting people who have recovered from covid don't need a second dose of the vaccine.

Whatever people choose, it's their decision.  That angers people who want to control everyone because they believe their opinion is the only opinion.  They believe only they should have the freedom to decide and their decision should be forced on everyone.  Anyway, live and let live.  People are free to protect themselves in the way they see fit.

I actually think the mask police people are disappointed that they can't scream at people to wear masks anywhere now that things are opening up.  It must be frustrating for them to see people being permitted to be free.

My wife is a long hauler and so far hers and many others Covid symptoms are seeming to last a lifetime.  

• Like 1

21 hours ago, MeganGC1983 said:

You can still get Covid once you are vaccinated. We went to Mexico 2 weeks ago. No test required going, but definitely coming back. We tested 2 weeks before going and the day before. We also took extra tests with us in case we popped positive on the hotels test. Is there no such thing as personal responsibility anymore?! With or without the vaccine I could do the same thing, responsibly, on a cruise ship! 

Very true but the risk is extremely low. 0.009% of fully vaccinated people have breakthrough infections. THAT low.

Also.....fully vaccinated people are very low risk of transmitting Covid to others. This has been shown from recent data. I believe the CDC came out with their latest very relaxed guidelines for fully vaccinated people because of their extremely low risk of transmitting the disease.

Edited by coffeebean

23 minutes ago, skridge said:

My wife is a long hauler and so far hers and many others Covid symptoms are seeming to last a lifetime.  

8 months in I still have effects, but I blame nobody.  It just is, and is one of the many obstacles life we have to navigate.  I wasn't overly careful, but at the same time I wasn't careless either.  I chose to live and carry on with life.  Would I go back in time and lock myself in for a year or restrict myself more than  I did to avoid covid?  Hell no!

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, coffeebean said:

Very true but the risk is extremely low. 0.009% of fully vaccinated people have breakthrough infections. THAT low.

Also.....fully vaccinated people are very low risk of transmitting Covid to others. This has been shown from recent data. I believe the CDC came out with their latest very relaxed guidelines for fully vaccinated people because of their extremely low risk of transmitting the disease.

[Thud]..... That was the sound of me falling over because I agree with you.🤪

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, evandbob said:

Cruisers traveling to Florida ports may be more likely to catch COVID from local Floridans they encounter on their way to and from a port than on a cruise ship with 95% vaxxed passengers.

Florida seems to have plateaued at about 38% fully vaxxed population, and many who haven't been vaxxed are also anti maskers.

There is that contingency again! As a Florida resident, this is nothing to be proud about.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, firefly333 said:

Well this is a case of christine duffy on camera who wants vaccinated... but says working with cdc to get kids onboard.  ... I get it and heard what she said .. and the ifs ands and butts  .... it's the we are still working with the cdc. .. it's already june and wishing and hoping the cdc bends part of what she said.

I'd like vaccinated too in a perfect world.

You said a mouthful there. We don't have a "perfect world" so I should let go of this dream that ships will sail with all vaccinated on board. Oh well. NCL or Celebrity may be the only way to go.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, coffeebean said:

You said a mouthful there. We don't have a "perfect world" so I should let go of this dream that ships will sail with all vaccinated on board. Oh well. NCL or Celebrity may be the only way to go.

NCL isn't even sailing so no one can go there except to Alaska like everyone else.

Edited by regoodwinjr

6 hours ago, TNcruising02 said:

Thankfully, we live in a country where we are all free to choose whether or not we want to receive an emergency use vaccination.  It seems to be completely ignored that people who have had covid develop immunities that may or may not be better than the vaccine.  There have been studies that suggest those covid infection immunities may even last a lifetime.  There are other studies suggesting people who have recovered from covid don't need a second dose of the vaccine.

Whatever people choose, it's their decision.  That angers people who want to control everyone because they believe their opinion is the only opinion.  They believe only they should have the freedom to decide and their decision should be forced on everyone.  Anyway, live and let live.  People are free to protect themselves in the way they see fit.

I actually think the mask police people are disappointed that they can't scream at people to wear masks anywhere now that things are opening up.  It must be frustrating for them to see people being permitted to be free.

So where is the protection for the un-vaccinated who refuse to wear a mask even though masking is still recommended for the un-vaccinated? The people who are being permitted to be free are the vaccinated people. Right? The latest CDC guidelines that have been relaxed are only for fully vaccinated people. There has been no new guidelines for the un-vaccinated as far as I know or did I miss something?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, coffeebean said:

So where is the protection for the un-vaccinated who refuse to wear a mask even though masking is still recommended for the un-vaccinated? The people who are being permitted to be free are the vaccinated people. Right? The latest CDC guidelines that have been relaxed are only for fully vaccinated people. There has been no new guidelines for the un-vaccinated as far as I know or did I miss something?

...and the forgotten 20% still have no voice in the matter.  The science.

3 minutes ago, Tippyton said:

...and the forgotten 20% still have no voice in the matter.  The science.

Isn't 20% (or less) the percentage of smokers? At least it was a decade ago. Anyway, covid is still being spread and people are still dying. The 20% isn't forgotten. All they need to do is be vaccinated to be free.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, coffeebean said:

Many of them have either had covid or are at very low risk of developing severe symptoms.  The people who have to be concerned are the elderly and people with certain diseases.  Everyone else is at low risk of being hospitalized.  I am not sure why people think young and healthy people must be vaccinated.  The high risk people are the ones who must be vaccinated.  Once the death rate goes down because of high risk people no longer contracting covid because they are vaccinated, this will be no different than the flu.

Every single person I know who contracted covid has recovered.  None of them were hospitalized. For some reason there is this fear of covid when the high risk people are being vaccinated and are protected.

Edited by TNcruising02
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, TNcruising02 said:

The high risk people are the ones who must be vaccinated. 

There are people of all ages that have a high risk of severe covid if they contract it. Including young people.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, TNcruising02 said:

Many of them have either had covid or are at very low risk of developing severe symptoms.  The people who have to be concerned are the elderly and people with certain diseases.  Everyone else is at low risk of being hospitalized.  I am not sure why people think young and healthy people must be vaccinated.  The high risk people are the ones who must be vaccinated.  Once the death rate goes down because of high risk people no longer contracting covid because they are vaccinated, this will be no different than the flu.

Every single person I know who contracted covid has recovered.  None of them were hospitalized.

Just because you didn't personally know any of the 600,000 from the US or nearly 4 million worldwide who have died from COVID doesn't change the fact that many of these people were young and healthy before they contracted the disease. Science has shown that being elderly and having other health issues can increase the severity of the disease but it can be deadly to all ages. Anyone of any age increases their risk of getting the virus, and spreading it, by not taking advantage of the vaccine to protect themselves and the ones around them. 

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, 40yearcruiser said:

Just because you didn't personally know any of the 600,000 from the US or nearly 4 million worldwide who have died from COVID doesn't change the fact that many of these people were young and healthy before they contracted the disease. Science has shown that being elderly and having other health issues can increase the severity of the disease but it can be deadly to all ages. Anyone of any age increases their risk of getting the virus, and spreading it, by not taking advantage of the vaccine to protect themselves and the ones around them. 

Have you looked up the stats for people under age 45?  Their risk is so low.  Yes, many high risk people died BEFORE there was a vaccine.  There is a vaccine now so each person can protect themselves.  Just like people who don't want to get the flu choose to get a flu shot to minimize their risks.  People who have had covid have immunities.  People seem to forget natural immunities.  The majority of young people who get covid have mild to no reactions.  

Covid may never go away.  At some point people have a right to live again.  Those people in strict lockdown states just don't realize that the rest of us have been living life for months and are just fine.  We have been going to concerts, hotels, all inclusives, restaurants, events, and are just fine.  It's ok if everyone doesn't get the vaccine.  It's the people who are more likely to die from covid who need to get it. 

Edited by TNcruising02
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Lee Cruiser said:

Stop attacking churches!  You've shared your thoughts, now let it lie.  We've been meeting in person again since last June with no outbreaks.  We took lots of precautions early on.  For the last few months, we've been back to normal with all our groups meeting in room settings.  Another church our size was back to normal back last August, again with no outbreaks.  Schools here have been in person since last September, continued with sports and just had a normal graduation.  Simply shutting down everything didn't stop virus from spreading.  The virus still ran its course in areas that completely shut down with massive restrictions and in areas that had very limited restrictions.  BTW, you have very much taken you Matthew quote out of context.

I'm not attacking churches. Churches are us (individual believers), not buildings and not pastors. Save your  self-righteous indignation. Good grief.  

Edited by cruisingguy007
  • Like 2

Here are several facts . Cruises leaving from USA ports must adhere to the CDC regulations .Additionally ,all cruise ships must adhere to t regulations set by  any foreign country ports 

As far as we know now all passengers & crew must be vaccinated . 

Longer cruises have many seniors aboard  & any covid would be disaster to them  .Thus ,we all must think  of protecting all people  with the vaccines that are available . 

On 6/2/2021 at 3:22 PM, BoozinCroozin said:

After losing the opportunity for judgement and forced to mediation, DeSantis had no choice but to compromise. I like the guy and agree with what he is trying to do. Once the CDC started to come to the plate, he needs to as well. He has to start pitching the ball. Because cruise lines are so much more unique, they can make an amendment for a win/win situation.

If he does agree to it, I think we see the cruise lines make a quick change to possibly require vaccination. Or, vaccinated passengers that have proof can board without testing between 11AM and 2PM. Passengers without vaccination must report to offsite testing facility, wait for results, wait for those to be sent to the cruise line, then given a boarding time between 2-3:30PM. If anyone tests positive in your group or anyone you are stuck waiting with in the testing facility, you will not be permitted to board. 

7 hours ago, TNcruising02 said:

Have you looked up the stats for people under age 45?  Their risk is so low.  Yes, many high risk people died BEFORE there was a vaccine.  There is a vaccine now so each person can protect themselves.  Just like people who don't want to get the flu choose to get a flu shot to minimize their risks.  People who have had covid have immunities.  People seem to forget natural immunities.  The majority of young people who get covid have mild to no reactions.  

Covid may never go away.  At some point people have a right to live again.  Those people in strict lockdown states just don't realize that the rest of us have been living life for months and are just fine.  We have been going to concerts, hotels, all inclusives, restaurants, events, and are just fine.  It's ok if everyone doesn't get the vaccine.  It's the people who are more likely to die from covid who need to get it. 

My wife is under the age of 45 and has been suffering from long Covid for 10 months with new symptoms popping up all the time.  She is not over weight and has been perfectly healthy all her life.  The people should just live your life crowd have zero arguments for that.  But I am sure they will try.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Tippyton said:

8 months in I still have effects, but I blame nobody.  It just is, and is one of the many obstacles life we have to navigate.  I wasn't overly careful, but at the same time I wasn't careless either.  I chose to live and carry on with life.  Would I go back in time and lock myself in for a year or restrict myself more than  I did to avoid covid?  Hell no!

You have made your point.  There is nothing this virus could have done to make you bow down to the "oppression" of simply putting on a mask and social distancing.  I will try not to tread on you.  I know it's triggering for you to talk realistically about a disease that has killed over 600k people in our country and more than 4 million across the world.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, skridge said:

I no longer have the url for it, but I do remember posting an article that said there seemed to be a positive effect on ridding long haulers of their symptoms after they received their vaccinations. IIRC, it specifically referred to the vaccinations with the new technology, Pfizer and Moderna.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, coffeebean said:

So where is the protection for the un-vaccinated who refuse to wear a mask even though masking is still recommended for the un-vaccinated?

I am confused by your statement.  You want protection for a group that refuses to follow a guideline that's meant to reduce the spread of a serious contagious Virus to others?  I can understand protection for un-vaccinated that CAN'T wear a mask but not for those that WON'T wear a mask.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, TNcruising02 said:

Every single person I know who contracted covid has recovered.  None of them were hospitalized.

I've been tracking the stats in Alberta for over a year now and here are our numbers so far as of yesterday:

Total number of cases 228961

Total number of cases recovered 221644

Number of Active cases as of yesterday 5071

Number in Hospital including those in ICU 373

Number of ICU cases 105

Number of deaths 2246

98.8% of cases were not hospitalized. The focus has always been on not overwhelming the ICU beds which in my opinion was a disaster of our own making after years of reductions based on I believe the "why should we pay for something we don't need" attitude of budget makers and govt. And as always we got caught and are scrambling.  The sad part is that this will probably not change our way of doing things it will become another "well dodged that one" situation and we will carry on until the next time.  Just because we didn't need the ICU beds at that very moment in time does not mean we shouldn't have the capacity to respond when required. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Tippyton said:

I think I used a couple of "very's" to account for that - lemme check my math. 😁 

I think the concern is that all sailings will be under a microscope. And we know how things can get carried away especially in the media. It won't take much to give a another black eye to the cruise lines. But, yes, in a small window of time (duration of individual sailings) we won't see Diamond Princess events!

1 hour ago, Tippyton said:

Considering the current state of the pandemic, vaccinations, disease progression, and science, any sort of "outbreak" is statistically very, very, very, very, very improbable.  I don't understand the continued hysterics about this and speaking as if it was a likely outcome.

Here in Ohio, it is a beautiful day today. I went to the gym. Maskless except for 2. I went to the grocery store. Probably 60% maskless. The bars are almost completely maskless. Don't you dare argue the science that the floaty boat is a death trap.

59 minutes ago, CI66774 said:

How about those who refuse to get a flu shot? More people have died from the flu over the years than COVID. How about people with HIV? Should they have to identify themselves to you too?

These are not the approved agendas you are looking for. 

• Like 4