For my fellow Canadians.

4 hours ago, sprdave63 said:

If anyone can shed any light or offer their opinion on any of the items below is would be much appreciated !!!

1. Canadian government chances of lifting non-essential travel restrictions, the mandatory Covid hotel stay and then subsequent 14 day at home isolation protocol.

2. Produce a valid negative PCR version test result from a lab before flying out from Canada to the U.S. and then also the same test before flying back into Canada. We live in a small town and it appears we would need to drive to Oshawa to the closest LifeLabs @ $200 per person in order to have this test performed whilst navigating the labs 48 hour guaranteed results turnaround window and stay within the 72 hour negative test before departure window UGH !!  I have read that R.C. is providing complimentary PCR testing on the 5th+ 6th day of the cruise but am waiting for a reply email to confirm that.

3. Insurances.. what do you need and where can you get them? Or is the R.C. Cruise with Confidence assurance that if you contract Covid during the cruise they will cover any costs a good enough insurance peace of mind?

Thank you in advance for any opinion you may have and stay safe !!

Cheers,

Tracey & Dave

From what I have read in this thread from posters, it appears that I may end up being the Canadian guinea pig who cruises first (assuming we do not cancel our August cruise using Cruise With Confidence).  We know policies will be continually changing, so it is nice the CWC policy exists in case someone stacks the deck against us and we need to cancel.  We plan on driving to Florida (assuming of course we are permitted to).  If the land border is closed, we will investigate flights to Florida as an option at that time.  There are just too many moving targets right now to make plans for us officially.

Hopefully, is someone else in this thread cruises before me, I hope they post about their experiences here (as a Canadian and what they encountered with the border and protocols at their time of travel).  I will try to remember revisit this thread closer to the date of our travel to share what has been shared with us pre-cruise and post-cruise if we actually end up going.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, sprdave63 said:

Thank you also for Mr. Dawg for taking the time to reply to my posted questions. I appreciate your positivity about the loosening of travel restrictions and I too hope that they drop the required PCR Covid test but also understand the importance of both countries requesting it.

I am going to do a deep dive into the insurance aspect as I too cannot foresee standard insurance taking on the risk of potential out of country quarantine costs  when people are knowingly travelling during a health crisis.

Thanks again for your reply !!

Cheers,

Dave

I am curious to know what you find out and which company you end up booking with.  I have medical through work but I usually purchase extra. 

54 minutes ago, sprdave63 said:

Thank you for your reply and no I have not been a "sapper" if that is referring to a military person?

I have travel insurance also but not certain that my standard out of country travel Sun Life insurance policy will suffice.. I will call them to see if it covers a Covid trip interruption type occurrence which could prove costly if a person was forced to quarantine for 14 days in a foreign country. I just thought I would ask on here if anyone had experience with such an item as a Covid travel insurance policy.

Thank you again for your reply!!

Cheers,

Dave

Manulife has a specific Covid travel policy.  They just upped the coverage limits from 1m to 5m I& you are fully vaccinated. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Russ Lomas said:

From what I have read in this thread from posters, it appears that I may end up being the Canadian guinea pig who cruises first (assuming we do not cancel our August cruise using Cruise With Confidence).  We know policies will be continually changing, so it is nice the CWC policy exists in case someone stacks the deck against us and we need to cancel.  We plan on driving to Florida (assuming of course we are permitted to).  If the land border is closed, we will investigate flights to Florida as an option at that time.  There are just too many moving targets right now to make plans for us officially.

Hopefully, is someone else in this thread cruises before me, I hope they post about their experiences here (as a Canadian and what they encountered with the border and protocols at their time of travel).  I will try to remember revisit this thread closer to the date of our travel to share what has been shared with us pre-cruise and post-cruise if we actually end up going.

There is a fly and drive option available at the Niagara Falls/Buffalo crossings. The service puts your car on a truck and drives it over to the border and you meet up with it after they fly you in a helicopter from the Canadian side to the airport on the U.S. side. You go through airport customs and then hop in your car and drive south. Several of our friends  used this service this past winter. 

Edited by DirtyDawg

35 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Manulife has a specific Covid travel policy.  They just upped the coverage limits from 1m to 5m I& you are fully vaccinated. 

Great information ,  thanks for posting 

2 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Thank you "Our Beach" I have not had time to investigate much today...dam work LOL.... but will look into Manulife first Thanks to you !!

Cheers,

Dave

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Russ Lomas said:

When is your cruise?  We are set for 8/22 & 8/28 on Odyssey unless the border restrictions don’t lighten up

Hello fellow Canadians

We are booked on Serenade to Alaska on September 20.  We live 5 minutes from Canada-US border so hoping it is open by then as we plan on driving to the port. If not we will use CWC option and cancel.

Also booked Honolulu to Vancouver April 2022 on Quantum.  Another CWC booking so can cancel if things are not going well.  

Thanks for the insurance information.  I definitely need to do some more research on this subject.

I am fully vaccinated 2 weeks ago and DH is booked for his second dose on June 30.  I work at a community vaccine clinic and the eagerness of British Columbians to get their vaccine is amazing.  It is very exciting to see everyone so willing to get their jab especially the younger generation.  

• Like 2

Returning to Canada from Mexico at the end of this week.  Flying into Buffalo and having Airport Limo from Toronto come to pick us up and take us across the border and home.  I will let everyone know how that works out.

• Like 5

9 hours ago, DirtyDawg said:

There is a fly and drive option available at the Niagara Falls/Buffalo crossings. The service puts your car on a truck and drives it over to the border and you meet up with it after they fly you in a helicopter from the Canadian side to the airport on the U.S. side. You go through airport customs and then hop in your car and drive south. Several of our friends  used this service this past winter. 

Thanks for the info.  I hope it does not come down to us having to take that option, but I will keep that in mind closer to the date if the only barrier to our vacation is the closed border.

10 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Ken, is that included in the insurance Ontario teachers get through their work policy or are you referring to other individuals who purchase it separately?

6 hours ago, Canadian Disney Mom said:

When is your cruise?  We are set for 8/22 & 8/28 on Odyssey unless the border restrictions don’t lighten up

We are on the sailing before you.  We hope to be disembarking on the 22nd as you board.

4 hours ago, Magicat said:

Returning to Canada from Mexico at the end of this week.  Flying into Buffalo and having Airport Limo from Toronto come to pick us up and take us across the border and home.  I will let everyone know how that works out.

I have a buddy who can drop us off at the Toronto airport and then if we had to fly back to Buffalo, take a cab to the Rainbow Bridge and walk across it, to have my buddy pick us up on the other side to drive us home.  I hope it does not come down to that, but it is an option currently available.

• Like 1

Since both the Blue Jays and the Habs lost last night I thought I'd post some good news.

This is from a CBC report this morning;

"According to online research publication Our World in Data, Canada has just nudged out Israel to top the global pack, having doled out at least one dose to more than 64 per cent of its citizens. Israel, now trailing Canada, has given first doses to 63 per cent of its citizens."

The article was about the larger shipments from Moderna. It said we will get a total of 40 million doses of vaccine in June alone. That's a lot of pokes in arms!

Edited by DirtyDawg
  • Like 4

Sorry, 

The article was about the larger shipments from Moderna. It said we will get a total of 20 million doses of vaccine in June alone and 55 million by the end of July. That's a lot of pokes in arms!

I should never post before I've had my 1st cup of coffee in the morning! 🤷‍♂️

• Like 1

On 6/12/2021 at 6:27 PM, Russ Lomas said:

Glad for you.  I get my 2nd dose tomorrow as well (Tracy did yesterday).  Our "little" ones got theirs a couple of weeks ago as well.  We are hoping all 6 of us can be vaccinated and do a summer cruise.

To all my other fellow Canadians in this thread.  I am just wondering when you next booked cruise is planned for.  No judgement of your opinions.  I am just wondering who here may feel comfortable enough to cruise this summer and has one planned.

Our L&S is coming up this November. (so not summer, but here's our situation)
It's in complete limbo right now as we have two kids "ineligible for the vaxx" so we're riding the roller coaster of ever changing rules etc as to whether we go or postpone AGAIN.
We've held off booking flights so technically we're half planned? Fortunately we can do the drive, I think it's still in my gps from last time. (if the land border is open)
Final payment date will be coming up soon so I'm really hoping the test cruises/initial cruises really get things ironed out.
Also I believe the CSO ends beginning of November so keeping an eye on that situation - extensions/modifications etc.

So many moving parts that I'm gonna need a vacation after this vacation!! 

On 6/12/2021 at 2:08 PM, Hoopster95 said:

On another note....

I think Canadians are beginning to book all kinds of travel at an exponential rate since the announcement, in anticipation by September the 14 day return quarantine will be lifted amongst other things. I believe travel will be much more expensive in the months ahead (2022) with the high increase in demand imho.

I also have KensingtonTours arranging a Costa Rica land vacay for Feb, and my TA there said that with the opening up of things they are being swamped this past month, Americans & Canadians alike.

Anecdotally, yes, you are 100% correct.
We have several friends who were in the "as soon as we can" category to book vacations.
They have all either booked something in the last week or so, or are waiting for vacation time approvals having picked their destinations.
And the prices they're telling me they're paying........... yeah, I'd be thinking twice, but people don't care right now! 

Hello fellow Canadians!

We are still waiting for our second shots.  Husband and I had ours May 12 and currently aren't eligible to have ours moved up.  Second shot is scheduled for September 1.  My 13 year old had hers June 2.  Currently her second shot is scheduled for September 22 and she is also not eligible to be moved up.  I was perplexed about that as they said they wanted all students done by end of August for school.  I guess I'll have to keep checking.

We have a family cruise booked for end of October out of Bayonne.  I'm concerned because they say that only 50% of the ships capacity can go a few weeks ago when they can start in August.  I suspect Royal will cancel people from other countries first.  I also have an 8 year old.  If Pfizer gets approval in September to vaccinate 2-11 I'll be lucky if I can even get him his first shot before the cruise let alone his second shot with our 4 month schedule.  We are happy to have a covid test and do whatever is needed so I guess we will see what happens.  We are going to keep our fingers crossed and hope for the best.  This cruise has been moved 4 times and we will not move it again (we are a large 12 family group).

My husband and I have a cruise booked in March 2022 for just the two of us.  We have never cruised alone but I suspect if the October cruise is cancelled I'll feel bad and will book the kids on the March cruise (if possible). 

1 minute ago, Biker19 said:

I wouldn't assume that, nor that anyone currently booked needs to be bumped.

I've got my fingers crossed and am hoping for the best.  I'm just thinking logistically what is easier for Royal.  But a lot can change in the next few months...  Trying to figure out what Royal will do will give anyone a headache so I'm not even going try LOL

1 minute ago, Biker19 said:

Offering locals (within driving distance) the incentive first, IF they need to bump someone.

This is why I love CruiseCritic.  You guys always think of something I didn't. 🙂

Two weeks ago I did not think our October cruise would sail.  I've been living off of YouTube videos of people currently on AOS and am much more hopeful 🙂  Especially now that it looks like the border is opening soon.

18 minutes ago, MaddyandMax said:

Hello fellow Canadians!

We are still waiting for our second shots.  Husband and I had ours May 12 and currently aren't eligible to have ours moved up.  Second shot is scheduled for September 1.  My 13 year old had hers June 2.  Currently her second shot is scheduled for September 22 and she is also not eligible to be moved up.  I was perplexed about that as they said they wanted all students done by end of August for school.  I guess I'll have to keep checking.

We have a family cruise booked for end of October out of Bayonne.  I'm concerned because they say that only 50% of the ships capacity can go a few weeks ago when they can start in August.  I suspect Royal will cancel people from other countries first.  I also have an 8 year old.  If Pfizer gets approval in September to vaccinate 2-11 I'll be lucky if I can even get him his first shot before the cruise let alone his second shot with our 4 month schedule.  We are happy to have a covid test and do whatever is needed so I guess we will see what happens.  We are going to keep our fingers crossed and hope for the best.  This cruise has been moved 4 times and we will not move it again (we are a large 12 family group).

My husband and I have a cruise booked in March 2022 for just the two of us.  We have never cruised alone but I suspect if the October cruise is cancelled I'll feel bad and will book the kids on the March cruise (if possible). 

I noticed your signature and I'm in Toronto too (or just north in Vaughan).  They keep saying that they are accelerating vaccines.  DH and I got our 2nd dose on Sunday which was 7 weeks ahead of schedule. My DD turns 12 in a couple days and we are taking her for her vaccine the next day.  And they are saying that they all eligible kids vaccinated by school, so I have hopes.  I think my DS will get his second done sooner than currently scheduled (which is currently the beginning of school).  The bottleneck may be your child under 12 as who knows when that will be approved.  Hopefully early fall and then good for your cruise.

I hear you though...so many moving parts and unknowns with a biggie being the border (and of course if the ship is actually sailing).  We have some double bookings to open our options as one of our desired cruises is also out of Bayonne (bonus with being able to drive if needed as you say). It's frustrating as you say.  If only we knew one way or another.

Edited by LuCruise

Re travel insurance, here in B.C.,  Pacific Blue Cross will now cover Covid for medical only.  Up to 10 million.  You have to ask for Covid policy.  I got a quote yesterday, two people 80 days, just under $700.00.  We are low in age 60's.  That quote does not cover their trip interruption and cancellation insurance as is not covered under Covid, so I didn't want a quote for that, just looking for Covid coverage.  I know Canadians are said to over insure, under normal circumstances we do get always purchase out of province medical.  But in this case as we have to get a test for Covid just before cruise, and if for some reason we test negative, (we are both two shot vaccinated, but you never know) , I might just purchase both the cruise line, (which I have never done) and then purchase the travel medical to get the 10 million.  Pacific Blue does not cover return to Canada if that is necessary mid cruise.  Hoping someone else knows one company that will cover everything for Covid, travel, trip interruption and cancellation, otherwise I buy cruise line coverage and my own extended medical Covid coverage.  

1 hour ago, MaddyandMax said:

Our 13-year old twins got their 1st shots on May 31st.  They were given 2nd shot appointments for September.  Our nephews were vaccinated the first day at a different local clinic and were given appointments for 2nd shots in late July.  We emailed the health unit and they moved our twins up to late July for our twins.  We live in London, Ontario.

15 minutes ago, Russ Lomas said:

Our 13-year old twins got their 1st shots on May 31st.  They were given 2nd shot appointments for September.  Our nephews were vaccinated the first day at a different local clinic and were given appointments for 2nd shots in late July.  We emailed the health unit and they moved our twins up to late July for our twins.  We live in London, Ontario.

To further Russ's comment, our 14 year old in the London area also got his second booked for mid/late July.

• Like 1

After what felt like the vaccine "hunger games" yesterday (as Ontario opened up the next expedited group), DH and I (live in midtown Toronto), were fortunate to secure a reservation for next Monday! Woohoo! Our 2nd dose was originally set for mid August, so, beyond thrilled. Our 12 year old Nephew has his second dose booked for August. With our parents and family coming in on their second doses, it's a true sigh of relief and in- person hugs will become a reality! All our 2021 cruises have been moved to 2022 with the first one being in Jan 2022 on Allure. 

Will book any land mini getaways once we learn more on border openings.

Although with Ontario cottage rentals priced at an all time high- for that price we could very well just book a cruise 🙄

Just back from my second pfizer shot . 

8  weeks after my first one . I had another appointment at the International Centre for next week .

I phoned in to cancel it , as i got the earlier appointment at my local pharmacy . 

The service rep that took the call was so appreciative that i called in to cancel . 

If you do have multiple appointments dont forget to cancel the duplicates .

• Like 1