Ocean Medallion App - Part 3

margord

I am sailing on the new Princess Discovery this October.  I'm an experienced cruiser, but new to Medallion.  I cruise to relax and avoid stressors.  I'm concerned about all time and frustration dealing with Medallion pre-cruise (I have been reading posts about Medallion.  OUCH!).   What will happen if I show up at the cruise port with just my documents and no Medallion?  Will checkin be a bad experience?   Thanks for input.  Haven't even begun the "Medallion experience" yet, but already turned-off by reading about it.

31 minutes ago, Chelly said:

I am sailing on the new Princess Discovery this October.  I'm an experienced cruiser, but new to Medallion.  I cruise to relax and avoid stressors.  I'm concerned about all time and frustration dealing with Medallion pre-cruise (I have been reading posts about Medallion.  OUCH!).   What will happen if I show up at the cruise port with just my documents and no Medallion?  Will checkin be a bad experience?   Thanks for input.  Haven't even begun the "Medallion experience" yet, but already turned-off by reading about it.

Paper is accepted. It just slows you down a little. With the Medallion in hand and the app completed, it's essentially show up and walk on board.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chelly said:

I just set up the Medallion app on two phones . Both for myself and a friend who we are cruising with. My phone, an iPhone, set up without one issue. Followed the instructions and it was an easy experience. I'm in the Green lane. My friend has an Android OS and it was a fiasco. She's in the Blue Lane.  I could never get it completed. Stuck at the point I have to upload security and avatar photos. Just could not get her phone to do it. Said try again later. I saw here that this not an uncommon issue. There were times the drop down menus would disappear. A reboot fixed that issue.

If you have an online account, there is a link to add the information on your computer. Perhaps that would be less stressful for some. Obviously, the Android app needs some work as it has a 1.2 rating in the Google store. The IOS app is rated 4.6 (out of 5).

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, cruisingram1 said:

Obviously, the Android app needs some work as it has a 1.2 rating in the Google store. The IOS app is rated 4.6 (out of 5).

BS IMO for the ratings.  IDK if someone is pumping it up.  I have read lots of Apple issues as well as Android.  A lot of the issues have nothing to do with what phone system one has - rather there have been a TON of data integrity issues and other functionality shortcomings. 

I am reasonably lucky in that it has been working well enough for me for some time now.

In fact I now see the three Arrival Groups showing for our October 01 voyage, but there is no space to book.  It is too early of course, but perhaps they are trying to let people know what to expect in advance.  The OCT 31 voyage has no Arrival Groups posted.

• Like 2

On 3/6/2022 at 12:01 PM, cruisingram1 said:

I have filled out all the information on the Medallion app. so far so good. We have opted for early dining, table for 4 with the couple we are linked with. When I look at the MY WAY DINING section of the app, it shows a reservation with all four of us in the main dining room on all nights except the first. ???? Why would I have a reservation for all nights except the first? I did not make any of these reservations. Is this something the app does automatically?

I've had that happen once or twice.  It depends where your cruise is originating.  If it is a late departure, it is considered open dining on the first night.

• Like 1

Thanks for your responses.  I downloaded Medallion app to my iPhone.  My cruise isn't until October.  Does cruise need to be paid in full before Medallion app will function?   Appreciate the help provided here.

12 hours ago, Chelly said:

Thanks for your responses.  I downloaded Medallion app to my iPhone.  My cruise isn't until October.  Does cruise need to be paid in full before Medallion app will function?   Appreciate the help provided here.

I actually paid my final payment earlier to get a promotional discount % off my cruise.  So I started earlier than usual, however I haven't had any issues for myself (apple) or my husband (android) on either of our phones.  We are both in the green lane and set to sail this Sunday, fingers crossed.  I also have read all the horror stories on here about all the problems, however I say just go with it and see what happens, you may be one of the lucky ones.  I agree I don't want to be stressed about my upcoming vacation, however with everything else that we all have been going through over the last 2 years, we are just ready for a cruise.  I look at it this way, use the boards to guide you as to when not to look at the app, usually clears up eventually.  But good luck to you!

• Like 1

Hello fellow cruisers,

I'm going on my first cruise with Princess (I sailed with Celebrity and MSC before), and I have a few questions regarding the Medallion app. Sorry if it's a repeat question, but this feed has 97 pages! WOW!

1) Cruising with my parents, and they share a cell phone. Will I be able to set them up both on only one device? 
  • For the check-in?
  • Using the app on the cruise (to order drinks, for example)

2) When I booked, I got a credit for one specialty restaurant. When I try to reserve a table, it asks me to pay instead of using the credit. Is that normal?

Thank you for your help 🙂

6 minutes ago, Touptite said:
Hello fellow cruisers,

I'm going on my first cruise with Princess (I sailed with Celebrity and MSC before), and I have a few questions regarding the Medallion app. Sorry if it's a repeat question, but this feed has 97 pages! WOW!

1) Cruising with my parents, and they share a cell phone. Will I be able to set them up both on only one device? 
  • For the check-in? Yes. We have one phone & I set up both accounts on it.
  • Using the app on the cruise (to order drinks, for example) Others report "yes", no actual experience.

2) When I booked, I got a credit for one specialty restaurant. When I try to reserve a table, it asks me to pay instead of using the credit. Is that normal? Happened to me. Just back out & wait till you're on the ship.

Some are successful getting the credit for the specialty restaurants, some aren't. There's no rhyme or reason for any of the inconsistencies.

You'll be assigned a dining time & restaurant when you get on the ship. Just call the Dine Line or go to the specialty restaurant to change it.

• Like 1

I have spoken with Princess 3 times over that last 10 days with this Medallion / Ocean Ready issue and I am about to call again in a few minutes....does anyone have any advice for this issue.

The Issue

• Successfully dowloaded the app on my iPhone (current OS).  The app shows my cruise starting in 18 days BUT when i start the Travel Checklist process the app replies "You do not have any booking.  Select Link Booking to add one". 
  • Then when I add the known booking number the app goes into an endless "loading" loop.  The last 3 Princess tech persons seem clueless.

Any help appreciated. Thanks

20 hours ago, cruisingram1 said:

I just set up the Medallion app on two phones . Both for myself and a friend who we are cruising with. My phone, an iPhone, set up without one issue. Followed the instructions and it was an easy experience. I'm in the Green lane. My friend has an Android OS and it was a fiasco. She's in the Blue Lane.  I could never get it completed. Stuck at the point I have to upload security and avatar photos. Just could not get her phone to do it. Said try again later. I saw here that this not an uncommon issue. There were times the drop down menus would disappear. A reboot fixed that issue.

If you have an online account, there is a link to add the information on your computer. Perhaps that would be less stressful for some. Obviously, the Android app needs some work as it has a 1.2 rating in the Google store. The IOS app is rated 4.6 (out of 5).

It depends on the Android...

I have the Galaxy Z Fold 3, running Android 12 and it's been smooth as a baby's buttom.

Sailing Saturday.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BigTimeCruiser said:

How soon before embarkation will the Arrival Time (Early, Mid, or Late) open up on the Medallion for selection?  

20 - 30 days is an approximation.  Some see it around 45 and I have read of 60 days out.  Keep checking.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, tcdcruiser said:

I have spoken with Princess 3 times over that last 10 days with this Medallion / Ocean Ready issue and I am about to call again in a few minutes....does anyone have any advice for this issue.

The Issue

• Successfully dowloaded the app on my iPhone (current OS).  The app shows my cruise starting in 18 days BUT when i start the Travel Checklist process the app replies "You do not have any booking.  Select Link Booking to add one". 
  • Then when I add the known booking number the app goes into an endless "loading" loop.  The last 3 Princess tech persons seem clueless.

Any help appreciated. Thanks

I've had exactly and precisely  the same issue for two of our four booked cruises for a number of months, starting in mid-December. No amount of playing with the app, deleting and re-installing etc worked. I finally began a lengthy communication with the Medallion support team at AskOceanMedallion@carnival.com.  They were always very good at responding to my Emails, usually answering within a day, often the same day. They pointed out from day one that their IT people prioritized fixing people's problems according to sail date, and our next trip was originally scheduled for mid-April, but lo and behold, just last week both of our "inaccessible" cruises suddenly came to life and I am now able to fully access them both on the app and through the new website functionality. If you do write an Email, be sure to point out that you sail very soon, and best of luck, hopefully they will get you sorted out.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, jwattle said:

It depends on the Android...

I have the Galaxy Z Fold 3, running Android 12 and it's been smooth as a baby's buttom.

Sailing Saturday.

that's cause it's E=hv  powered 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Touptite said:
  • For the check-in?

Should work fine with two separate logins. The phone is just a way to gain access, the Log In decides which account is being used.

• Like 2

We are 3 days away from sailing and my wife was checking the "JourneyView Activities Timeline" on her i-phone. I tried to look it up on my i-phone app and the activities were not there. I closed the app completely on the i-phone by swiping it away and then restarted it and it then worked just like on my DWs phone. This may work for some of the other issues I am reading on this thread as well. 

On 3/8/2022 at 7:31 PM, BigTimeCruiser said:

How soon before embarkation will the Arrival Time (Early, Mid, or Late) open up on the Medallion for selection?  

We sail 26th March and the arrival group option has opened up but not the departure group (2nd April)

Means I cant complete all the details on the Travel Checklist App

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, HleeCruiser said:

Does anyone know where Princess is on having a web based Medallion we can use on our desk tops?

Thanks,

I already went live. If you look at "manage your booking" - almost directly under the add for Google Play is a tiny notice in blue "try our web version". Not all of the app functions are there, but there were enough to get me in the green lane (with the exception of passports & photos - I already did those on the app).

On 3/8/2022 at 6:22 AM, Touptite said:
Hello fellow cruisers,

• For the check-in?

My wife isn't setting anything up on her phone, so we will just be using mine.  I set everything up for both of us and I believe we are good to go.  Since we are together 90% of the time, if she wants to order anything on the app she can just do so.  

On 3/7/2022 at 1:59 PM, Chelly said:

Many others have reported that they don’t use the app, and only do their check in at the terminal.   We’re on our first cruise in a couple of years in April, so no firsthand experience yet, but we’ll know soon.  We’re all checked in, but Mom will be doing it the old school way.

• Like 1