Ocean Medallion App - Part 3

margord

11 minutes ago, memoak said:

And it is beyond me why anyone would want the drink package rather than the plus fare

Did I say any where in my post I didn't have the plus fare? NO I did not. I thought maybe it would show up on the app. Clearly it did not  & Thrak KINDLY pointed that out to me unlike your post. Thank you VolJeep. 

Edited by rabin1

1 hour ago, memoak said:

And it is beyond me why anyone would want the drink package rather than the plus fare

The only time it would really make sense is when they drop the base fares super low right before sailing. I'm on the Oct 6th sailing on the Majestic for 3 days as a solo so I paid the double occupancy fare. Now I'm seeing an inside cabin is available for a single pax for $223 "saver" fare but the Princess Plus is $556 making the Plus choice an extra $111 per day 🤯. PBP $70.79 + Gratuities $14.50 + internet $9.99 = $95.28/day so it's cheaper to buy a la carte especially if you're Platinum or Elite and get half price internet (I'm not until after this cruise). It DOES include $100 OBC so maybe still worth it?

My DH and I, both seniors, are booked on B2B cruises next Spring on the Discovery Princess. It will be Princess cruise #30 & #31 for us, and cruises #48 and #49 overall.  We should be looking forward to this B2B cruise but instead are experiencing Medallion anxiety and depression.  We have older, economical android phones which suits our needs, but not Princess'.  We each carry one in case of car trouble on the road or if we want to contact each other. We will not purchase new cell phones simply to take a Princess cruise.  (Our phones work just fine for the HAL app, no Medallion needed.)

We have a desktop computer. I am highly skilled in using software, so have tech knowledge and love to book and manage cruises online.

We are comforted reading posts from cruisers on this thread that just show up at the pier with their paper work. That would be ideal for us. Should one call Princess before doing this?  We do not want to be turned away next Spring for not following the rules.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, JudithLynne said:

My DH and I, both seniors, are booked on B2B cruises next Spring on the Discovery Princess. It will be Princess cruise #30 & #31 for us, and cruises #48 and #49 overall.  We should be looking forward to this B2B cruise but instead are experiencing Medallion anxiety and depression.  We have older, economical android phones which suits our needs, but not Princess'.  We each carry one in case of car trouble on the road or if we want to contact each other. We will not purchase new cell phones simply to take a Princess cruise.  (Our phones work just fine for the HAL app, no Medallion needed.)

We have a desktop computer. I am highly skilled in using software, so have tech knowledge and love to book and manage cruises online.

We are comforted reading posts from cruisers on this thread that just show up at the pier with their paper work. That would be ideal for us. Should one call Princess before doing this?  We do not want to be turned away next Spring for not following the rules.

Also, depending on when your cruise is, there is a web based app promised, I think late November. So you should be able to do everything on a Desktop

I've had an issue with the medallion accessories. The shopping cart showed four items: 3 bands at $10 each and 1 artwork at $5. However, the app kept saying that $45 was due. I called the help line and they said it could be up to two weeks before I get a response. Thankfully, my cruise isn't anytime soon.

I did comment to the person on the phone that I hate that I have to enter everything through the app. It's so much less convenient than doing so on a computer with a keyboard. She claimed they were working on bring the web option back so that you'd have a choice. While I know I could connect a keyboard to my phone or tablet, it's just not worth the hassle to enter precruise information.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, jkrislc said:

I've had an issue with the medallion accessories. The shopping cart showed four items: 3 bands at $10 each and 1 artwork at $5. However, the app kept saying that $45 was due. I called the help line and they said it could be up to two weeks before I get a response. Thankfully, my cruise isn't anytime soon.

I did comment to the person on the phone that I hate that I have to enter everything through the app. It's so much less convenient than doing so on a computer with a keyboard. She claimed they were working on bring the web option back so that you'd have a choice. While I know I could connect a keyboard to my phone or tablet, it's just not worth the hassle to enter precruise information.

I am quite sure there is a shipping charge when purchasing Medallion trinkets.  Is that the extra $10?

1 hour ago, Tedferg said:

Also, depending on when your cruise is, there is a web based app promised, I think late November. So you should be able to do everything on a Desktop

That would be wonderful, our cruise is next April. Thank you for that info.

Edited by JudithLynne

3 hours ago, JudithLynne said:

(Our phones work just fine for the HAL app, no Medallion needed.)

Remember that the Medallion works just fine without the Medallion Class App. The app has lots of issues at the moment - including the fact that it won't work on your phone. As you have read, one can check in without doing the Medallion Class App stuff. Don't stress. Show up with your docs, check in, and enjoy your cruise. The Medallion requires absolutely no input or effort. Just think of it as a different shaped cruise card that unlocks the door for you without having to stick it in a slot.

Edited by Thrak
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

On 9/21/2021 at 9:07 AM, bjkTX said:

The last Princess cruise we took was supposed to be the first Medallion cruise and they couldn't get it ready.  I think they gave us some OBC 🙂  BTW - love your screen name 🙂

Thank you;  I served 19years on that aircraft

• Like 1

13 hours ago, jkrislc said:

I've had an issue with the medallion accessories. The shopping cart showed four items: 3 bands at $10 each and 1 artwork at $5. However, the app kept saying that $45 was due.

Did you order them or did they just appear in your cart?

If you ordered them, try cancelling the order & wait until you're on the ship to purchase. No shipping charge that way.

If you didn't order them...just cancel the order.

Edited by JF - retired RRT

17 hours ago, JudithLynne said:

... We have older, economical android phones which suits our needs, but not Princess'.  We each carry one in case of car trouble on the road or if we want to contact each other. We will not purchase new cell phones simply to take a Princess cruise.  (Our phones work just fine for the HAL app, no Medallion needed.)

I'm taking paperwork anyway (on ALL my cruises) because (as you) I have lots of tech experience and know very well that sometimes the tech just does not work. Glitches, server or network crashes... people don't get this these days but it's nuts for anybody anywhere to depend 100% on technology.

I hope (maybe in vain) that Princess will wise up (like Celebrity) and announce, somewhere in the fine print, that yes printed copies at the port will get us onboard.

3 hours ago, AF-1 said:

Thank you;  I served 19years on that aircraft

I had the opportunity to be on board a few times during my 30 years in the AF.  From 1980 - 84 I ran enlisted assignments at Hq MAC and one of my main concerns was always the 89th 🙂

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, bjkTX said:

I had the opportunity to be on board a few times during my 30 years in the AF.  From 1980 - 84 I ran enlisted assignments at Hq MAC and one of my main concerns was always the 89th 🙂

I had 29 years in and spent 24 at Andrews and five in Hawaii.  I was blessed to have two assignments in 29 years. 

Edited by AF-1
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Thrak said:

Remember that the Medallion works just fine without the Medallion Class App. The app has lots of issues at the moment - including the fact that it won't work on your phone. As you have read, one can check in without doing the Medallion Class App stuff. Don't stress. Show up with your docs, check in, and enjoy your cruise. The Medallion requires absolutely no input or effort. Just think of it as a different shaped cruise card that unlocks the door for you without having to stick it in a slot.

We were supposed to have our first Princess cruise last November -- a "Medallion" cruise -- but you know what happened there. I was a teensy bit nervous about even that because in principle I dislike anything that monitors/tracks where I am and what I do, although I sort of understood the benefits of the Medallion. I also wondered how often the medallion might fail, but "programmable" (electronic) room cards fail too. But the app and all of the requirements around it are far more of a potential issue. Thanks for mentioning the parts I bolded. The app is not just a concern here but also in the Celebrity threads and I assume others too, but in other places it's getting menioned more frequently that the app is not 100% required for all things, including boarding.

3 minutes ago, AF-1 said:

I had 29 years in and spent 24 at Andrews and five in Hawaii.  I was blessed to have two assignments in 29 years. 

Wow. I thought I was lucky to have spent almost half my 20 in one place -- Cocoa Beach/PAFB specifically. Maybe almost as good as Hawaii 🙂

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Moonarino said:

Wow. I thought I was lucky to have spent almost half my 20 in one place -- Cocoa Beach/PAFB specifically. Maybe almost as good as Hawaii 🙂

Hawaii was great.  I was there in the early 70's before it was built up; but nothing beats my time at Andrews AFB, that was wonderful.  Have a great weekend

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, AF-1 said:

Hawaii was great.  I was there in the early 70's before it was built up; but nothing beats my time at Andrews AFB, that was wonderful.  Have a great weekend

I always sorta wanted Andrews, although I generally disliked the DC area. Same, have a great weekend.

23 hours ago, JudithLynne said:

Hi I am Lynn from Texas. I too am skilled in online activity being a nurse educator, my app worked fine right up until I received an e mail saying my medallion was cancelled. It is not user fault It is something in the system and they have not fixed it for 10 weeks now. Yes be comforted thats what i was told by the representative to just show up at the pier with all your paperwork. It is like pre medallion check in. I cruise on the SKY Princess Dec 18th. I have tried to calm my anxiety I have documented names and my TA has been informed also. I also was told by Princess rep they would put something up on the website in November..Take heart...Lynn

9 hours ago, AF-1 said:

I had about 15 more than you did - but I picked them all so can't complain 🙂  Had some interesting discussions with the Pres Pilot over the controlled tours at the 89th 🙂

3 hours ago, Princess_gal said:

Hi I am Lynn from Texas. I too am skilled in online activity being a nurse educator, my app worked fine right up until I received an e mail saying my medallion was cancelled. It is not user fault It is something in the system and they have not fixed it for 10 weeks now. Yes be comforted thats what i was told by the representative to just show up at the pier with all your paperwork. It is like pre medallion check in. I cruise on the SKY Princess Dec 18th. I have tried to calm my anxiety I have documented names and my TA has been informed also. I also was told by Princess rep they would put something up on the website in November..Take heart...Lynn

I'll be comforted when I am somehow able to get "all my paperwork" to take to the port 🙂

All of a sudden my Medallion app doesn’t work & won’t accept my password. I’ve read where people have deleted & reinstalled the app. I’ll try that. Reinstalled the app still not working. 

I also tried my booking number with no success. 

Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

Tom😀

Edited by trbarton

18 minutes ago, trbarton said:

All of a sudden my Medallion app doesn’t work & won’t accept my password. I’ve read where people have deleted & reinstalled the app. I’ll try that. Reinstalled the app still not working. 

I also tried my booking number with no success. 

Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

Tom😀

I am having a problem also.  I made the mistake of signing out last night.  Now I can’t sign back in tonight.

Grace

8 minutes ago, Ronnieslady said:

I am having a problem also.  I made the mistake of signing out last night.  Now I can’t sign back in tonight.

Grace

I’ve never signed out so that’s what’s puzzling. I think I’ll call 📞 Princess tomorrow. Perhaps someone will post the direct number for the Medallion App people. 

Tom😀