Transportation to the Airport

6 minutes ago, soremekun said:

For the sake of discussion, what would be the benefits of using Royal's transfer service vs getting an Uber for let's say, two passengers?

I see no advantage.  In addition to the higher cost, you may have to wait for them to fill a bus.

We find taking a taxi, at a fixed rate, to be the easiest.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

In Florida the cruise line transfer cost is about double the Uber rate and some of the cruise lines expect you to go back to the airport to use their service. 

Edited by Mary229

7 minutes ago, yogimax said:

I see no advantage.  In addition to the higher cost, you may have to wait for them to fill a bus.

We'll be needing one (taxi) at the end of our Panama Canal (disembarking in Tampa) cruise Oct 2022. Thanks.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Tigerman4LSU said:

Thanks!

An uber from tampa airport to the cruise terminal is about $25 to $30 plus tip.   It's an easy drive and if you have more than 1 guest definitely cheaper.

If you are traveling solo then you may want to do royal transfer as it is nice to just hand them your luggage when you board the bus and next time you see it is your cabin.

The port that uber is more expensive than royal transfer is to go from orlando airport to port canaveral.

24 minutes ago, yogimax said:

14 minutes ago, Ashland said:

We'll be needing one (taxi) at the end of our Panama Canal (disembarking in Tampa) cruise Oct 2022. Thanks.

We have always used a taxi or Uber, (whether Tampa or Port Everglades or Miami), less expensive, much quicker, door to door service - you do not have to wait for an entire bus of cruisers along with their luggage to be loaded and unloaded, along with stops at various airlines. 

Edited by cellfree
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, soremekun said:

For the sake of discussion, what would be the benefits of using Royal's transfer service vs getting an Uber for let's say, two passengers?

Depending on where you are arriving, there is no Uber pick-up zone, so you're chasing your car down the road with bags in tow. Happened to us several times in Miami. I would use a fixed rate cab before trying for a rideshare. 

The last time we sailed out of NY, the metered yellow cab from our hotel was about 1/2 the price quoted by Uber and Lyft. 

Edited by BirdTravels

47 minutes ago, cellfree said:

We have always used a taxi or Uber, (whether Tampa or Port Everglades or Miami), less expensive, much quicker, door to door service - you do not have to wait for an entire bus of cruisers along with their luggage to be loaded and unloaded, along with stops at various airlines. 

After many years at many ports the one and only time we ever used RCI transfers was from LHR to Harwich....this was the best option for us to get to this far away port. Otherwise we too always user taxi, Uber or Lyft.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ashland said:

Not me, staying on 3 more legs.😊 But then yeah, Cab for me. Think was Fixed Rate but can't remember price off hand(5yrs ago) though dont think was high, anyone?

• Like 1

There are also some local shuttle drivers in Tampa. We use those if we are not in a hurry. They are mini-buses with luggage trailers. I think it was $12 p/p last time we were there. Of course, you always need to wait for them to round up other people. :classic_smile:

• Thanks 1

Lyft and Uber have become extremely expensive since covid.  I would do an estimate on a embarkation day/time where a ship docks and compare with a service, taxi or RCCL.  My last uber/lyft from PHL to my house which is about 25 miles was $122.  Husband job paid for it but still...  This fare was always $35-40.  

12 hours ago, yogimax said:

Exactly!  I can't think of any reason at all to use cruise line transport to an airport.

34 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

$47 usd per person each way

Wow, the shuttle service we used last year was clean, efficient and comfortable at less than half the price!  Thanks for the info.

27 minutes ago, bouhunter said:

Exactly!  I can't think of any reason at all to use cruise line transport to an airport.

I have a couple of clients that use the transfer service.

They don't want to turn on cell phones, use credit cards or cash in a different country and are willing to pay extra for that convenience.  Every single thing is arranged and paid in advance, for them that is important.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

I have a couple of clients that use the transfer service.

They don't want to turn on cell phones, use credit cards or cash in a different country and are willing to pay extra for that convenience.  Every single thing is arranged and paid in advance, for them that is important.

Good points, for some a few extra $$ is worth it for peace of mind 🙂

• Like 2

2 hours ago, poocher said:

And for international cruises, I can see it’s value in being safe and secure.  

You do realize that violent crime rates are much higher in some US port cities than most foreign ports

Sorry not referring to violence but having safe reliable transportation.  Unlikely to breakdown on the way.  Cruise line will take care of getting you to the port if something does happen to the bus.  You don’t have to research and seek out your own transportation in a country with which one might not be familiar. 

• Like 1