M-class vs. S-class : pros and cons ?

phe8800

We have a reservation on Equinox (S-class), where we have a nice suite. But on the same departure date, we much prefer an itinerary on Summit (M-class). Unfortunately there are no suites available on Summit .. 

Do we keep our suite on Equinox, or do we change to a standard balcony on Summit, to get our preferred itinerary? 

What are your pros and cons? 

For me, the itinerary would win.

We like a nice room as much as the next couple, but we really aren't in our rooms much.

Having sailed each of those classes twice,  nothing stands out particularly between them EXCEPT that the S Class has a 50% larger capacity. Therefore there did tend to be a few more activity offerings throughout the day. 

You could get an opportunity to upgrade to a suite as sail time comes closer--things can shuffle at that point.

• Like 1

I would go for the itinerary.  But I have never sailed in a suite, but have been on both classes several times.  

Deck 11 on M-class is our favorite location on any ship.  Easy access to everything.  2nd fav is on the hump on S-class with the larger angled balconies that face a little forward. 

S-class has 2 rear decks, one outside Oceanview and another a deck up where the Sunset Bar resides.  More outside seating, but more people to seat. 

S-class offers an additional specialty dining (Murano) which we miss on the M-class, but isn't a deal breaker. 

26 minutes ago, phe8800 said:

We have a reservation on Equinox (S-class), where we have a nice suite. But on the same departure date, we much prefer an itinerary on Summit (M-class). Unfortunately there are no suites available on Summit .. 

Do we keep our suite on Equinox, or do we change to a standard balcony on Summit, to get our preferred itinerary? 

What's more important to you overall?  The ship/cabin experience or the itinerary?  And just how different are the two itineraries?  If you have a suite of any type on Equinox, then you will get a much better onboard experience including Luminae and The Retreat.  All benefits too (OBC, WiFi, Premium drinks, gratuities).  Not to mention a larger cabin and balcony.  And higher service.  A balcony cabin on Summit would be a good average experience on board.  And overall probably much less expensive.   But if the itinerary is really the deciding factor by far to you- then you know what to do.

29 minutes ago, phe8800 said:

Unless it's something like a transatlantic, where we are going for a relaxing crossing and the ship and stateroom are particularly important, we generally book based on the itinerary.   We sailed on the Summit in summer 2019 after she'd been "revolutionized," and she's really quite beautiful.   One of the major improvements imho was to upgrade the buffet to individual stations as on the S-class ships.  M-class also has the plus of three elevator banks, and more comfortable seating in the theatre.  

We've only sailed in FVs on the M-class, so I can't give you my impression of the standard balconies, but one thing I've read is that, unlike on the S-class ships, the standard balcony staterooms are smaller than the concierge class staterooms.  Don't know if concierge class staterooms are available on the Summit sailing you are looking at, but you might want to consider them if you book the Summit.

Of course, only you can evaluate how important the "preferred itinerary" is to you versus having a suite on the Equinox.   Whichever you choose, have a great time!

If you are looking for photos of the "revolutionized" Summit, you'll find some in my review below:

Agree with many of the others, I look at Itinerary overall.   Even tho |S class is a favorite, the only thing on M class I wish they had was better Specialty restaurants  Room really is not a priority since its a place to sleep shower and store clothes for me.  Especially if its in Caribbean, usually out and about on decks etc otherwise.  I would go with the preferred itinerary overall.  

Agree that itinerary is most important to us unless it's a cruise with few ports (& thus more time in the cabin). We also tend to like smaller ships with better service & less crowding.

I liked both of these class ships and as others have stated it comes down to how much of a difference in itinerary and what that means to you.  The m-class my nature if it's smaller size can always end up with a 'better' itinerary simply due to it's size and ability to dock differently than the s-class so remember that in your decision.

I have never sailed in a suite (except in my dreams) but have sailed regular veranda on both class. I sailed summit (before revolution) totally for itinerary on southern out of San Juan.  There was no alternative to this but I would not have traded it for the world as it was all about having a Caribbean port all but one day. The m-class being smaller, it's rather unfair to compare to the s-class, bigger size of course means more space and venues (and more people) but I totally enjoyed the summit and that was even before the updates.  That said I've totally enjoyed the Reflection and Equinox (and the Edge.)

I think you have to weight what is important to you and go with your gut on this one.  The alternative is to choose another date (if possible) when you can get a suite on an m-class if that is extremely important to you.

I agree with others that if you decide on Summit select concierge or aqua class as the rooms are 20 sq ft larger (about the same size as all balcony cabins on S class).   We find the regular balcony on M class too small.  On Summit if you can get any of the aft facing C1/SV/FV balconies jump on it as the balcony is huge.

Depending on the pricing AQ might be a good compromise as you would dine in the Blu dining room which is the same size as Luminae although more tables tighter together but much more intimate (quite) than the MDR.

Edited by wrk2cruise

I rarely can afford suites, so for me in this case I would stick with the suite.  But if the itinerary were significantly better, I might go ahead and switch to M class.  If I did, I would only do an Aqua Class (preferred) or Concierge due to cabin size.  In many ways I prefer M class to S class.  I think the ships feel more intimate (without being too small), and to me they seem less crowded.  I also much prefer the T-pool on M class to the pool on S class.  One of my favorite places.  

I also agree that part of the decision rests on how many days at sea versus days in ports, and along with that - how do you spend those days at sea?  In your cabin?  Then a suite might win.  At the pool or elsewhere on the ship?  Then the cabin doesn't matter as much.

8 hours ago, phe8800 said:

Keep the Equinox suite.  We also enjoy the Summit, however the Equinox has so much more to offer and the Sky Suites are bigger. We also had wonderful service on the Equinox, especially in the Suite lounge and luminae.   We really enjoyed the Equinox.  However, our favorite S class ships are the reflection and silihoutte.  We really enjoy the Lawn club grill and that restaurant is only available on the Silly and Reflection. 

One of our favorite cruise activities is a pre-dinner dancing with an accompanying cocktail. Here, for me,  M-class ships with their Rendezvous Lounges win hands down. Trying to dance in the Atrium on S-class ships, with people going up and down the stairs and others strolling through the "dance floor", is a joke. This may be of zero importance to some, but live music in the Rendezvous Lounge is, to us, a big, big plus.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, phe8800 said:

Curious--I cannot get ANY Summit sailings to load at ANY time in the future...weird.

PS the Family Veranda on M Class is terrific.

I think the OP has a handle on how important the itinerary difference is, but is interested in our opinion on the ship differences. I love all X Class ships and once I go on Apex this November, will have cruised on all of them, and many of the posts point out the differences.

I’m surprised no one  has mentioned the M-Class, Summit, Aqua/Spa pool. It is my favorite at sea pool. It’s warm saltwater, inside and usually adult only. It has strong ‘current’ through it and pipes in the corner with strong wash downs you can stand under. Fun. But the best is. The steel pipes on the side that form ‘lounges’ on the side in the water with bubbles coming up between. We always get a SR on 8 or 9 deck just below it so we can zip up in the morning and relax! Fantastic. 

One suggestion is to book the Summit and then keep waiting for a Suite to open up. If the OP is using a TA, that can be done easily and they can jump on if for the OP. 

Enjoy whatever decided!

den 

• Like 1

Ok. We are going to hold on to our suite on Equinox, and keep our eyes on the Summit itinerary in the months to come to see if something interesting opens up later on. We do value the extra cabin space and large balcony, and also our access to the Retreat + Luminae .. and this more so than the more attractive itinerary. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, phe8800 said:

Ok. We are going to hold on to our suite on Equinox, and keep our eyes on the Summit itinerary in the months to come to see if something interesting opens up later on. We do value the extra cabin space and large balcony, and also our access to the Retreat + Luminae .. and this more so than the more attractive itinerary. 

Good for you!  Either way you could not go wrong.   Enjoy your cruise.