The Daily for Friday Jul 02, 2021

richwmn

And we got our first tomato today! My cone flowers, monarda and some lilies are blooming in the back corner, too. The pepper plants are finally getting blossoms, they are all sweet peppers! 

FBB0D6AC-B947-4D3E-8114-45E1680AD781.jpeg

E9C12384-923B-4653-9F8E-66D9F30EB7E4.jpeg

• Like 21

I am not looking forward to the next few weeks.  I had my cardiac rehab eval this morning and they want me to go through October 13.  I had just a few minutes on the treadmill and absolutely hated it.  I think there may be a rebellion brewing.

Roy

Edited by rafinmd
  • Like 18
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

Good morning everyone.I’m checking in but have no news to report except that we have appealed Sam’s discharge from the acute rehab while we look for a sub acute that has a bed available and can meet his needs. Since I am overwhelmed by all this red tape, my children have taken over and left me off the many texts and emails from Kessler. Who ever said that getting old was the golden years? More like the rusty years and not for sissies.

• Like 22
  • Thanks 4

4 minutes ago, mamaofami said:

Since I am overwhelmed by all this red tape, my children have taken over and left me off the many texts and emails from Kessler.

I am so glad your children are helping you with this mess, Carol 👍 

Hopefully they can get it straightened out 🙏🏻 

• Like 12

Good morning all!

Interesting collection of days today.  Like others, every day here is I forgot day!  Will pass on the meal, and have only been to Valletta -- loved it though.

@puppycanducruisecongrats on getting your second jab!

@wandbsuch wonderful news about your sister!!

@smitty34877so happy to hear baby Camilla is doing well 🙂  

Yesterday was spent doing what I love, making travel arrangements, and buying wine and flowers 😉  The wine has been put away, the Coreopsis planted, now I just need to find a spot for the Bee Balm.  We're enjoying mid-high 70's this week, so gardening is in full swing again and visiting with neighbors.  Everyone was hibernating during that heat wave.

Have a wonderful day everyone!

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

Good morning all. thanks Rich and all who contribute to the Daily. The weather has gone from recording breaking to just a hot summer. I can live with that. I have always told my kids to make sure their driveway has room for my trailer because when I’m too old to live alone I will spend four months a year in each child’s driveway. So far that threat seems a long ways off but the quote has a point. Have a safe holiday weekend. We are just hoping for a fire free time. 

• Like 16

Good morning Dailyites , we had our big fireworks last night in celebration of Canada Day and all of you South of the still “locked “  border are probably making preparations for your big July 4th holiday ! 

We had the great pleasure on October 31st , 2016 while we were on the Prinsendam , the " Elegant Explorer “ to go the the Island of Gozo on a tour with a small group together with our good friends Ann and Pat  and DD Cathy @VictOriann 

With our minibus we drove to the Northern part of the Main Island where we got on board the Gozo Ferry that would take us to the smaller island of Gozo 

875899819_DSCN13452.thumb.JPG.f8b7735ce67b30df4a87dbd0adaf907f.JPG

DSCN1209.thumb.JPG.edb9538c38df812483dea86cc3c3289a.JPG

I kind of like this picture taken from on the ferry at our arrival on Gozo 

DSCN1213.thumb.JPG.7f869495d7088478f5eca380b1e2f690.JPG

DSCN1338.thumb.JPG.9f79cfb9f3d8db0677e92839ff188fb0.JPG

Gozo is quite different from the main island , qua culture , scenery and also history so there are lots of pictures to chose from today , hope to show a nice selection here without too much description. 

DSCN1239.thumb.JPG.9415fee638af7697db43681324e122d4.JPG

DSCN1253.thumb.JPG.439ce7a0212a3469f9a95dc42b401fa3.JPG

DSCN1259.thumb.jpg.d26d99110b18e29323e7ae6313e2375c.jpg

DSCN1264.thumb.JPG.fdc060bb3171ad62bbbb230ae9f46caf.JPG

DSCN1283.thumb.JPG.d5059f72541de0c8186d5a958ccd3b99.JPG

DSCN1273.thumb.JPG.cca2527bd797d02aba0baa85b5c4e152.JPG

DSCN1278.thumb.JPG.71acbd5865562c05f7ba41d46aeeb133.JPG

DSCN1280.thumb.JPG.07abc4630e0348596243598ab3500cdd.JPG

DSCN1291.thumb.JPG.566c39fce8b6eadcfc63932ee1e46565.JPG

DSCN1293.thumb.jpg.5ae44c7b046605931f297a28936f5416.jpg

After visiting the two historic sites we drove to the North West coast of Gozo to see this natural wonder the  “ Azure Window "  a natural bridge developed from nature which started from the beginning of the 1800’s 

DSCN1302.thumb.JPG.99b543f5de2a0d15a13b9cea58ffd32b.JPG

I am really happy to show you this nice picture , but also very sad because the Azure Window is no more ,  …… After a storm on March of 2017 , this huge 92 foot high pillar ……. Completely disappeared into the sea after a very large storm in the Mediterranean ……..just 6 months after we were there  ! 

DSCN1321.thumb.JPG.04a7f7df52d8955be48e0ff4d96f8151.JPG

DSCN1327.thumb.JPG.8b4389dad6484933e39398d758cc637c.JPG

539011004_IMG_50912.thumb.JPG.1d186b422d1b952ded1cce0233c28156.JPG

IMG_5096.thumb.JPG.21046979c0697cc9e07e35447f3f61de.JPG

DSCN1335.thumb.JPG.bdbcec6b4b6bf6a0905c47f4b2b697e4.JPG

Sharing this delicious platter  " A Taste of Malta " with everything on it with for 4 of us  ! 

1762893027_DSCN13362.thumb.JPG.901ffe6554ca2b03f7777f23dc1b9bc6.JPG

Waiting in the departure hall for the ferry back to the main island 

DSCN1340.thumb.JPG.b241171d574fa769d111dce2cb17261b.JPG

A wonderful day was had by all of beautiful Gozo ……….glad we had an overnight in Valetta to be able to do this .

DSCN1473.thumb.JPG.61b11bea3e8e328f4203ccf5c4e4e9e4.JPG

Tony 😄

• Like 25
  • Thanks 2

@kazu   Thanks Jacqui for the detailed pepper post,  I do feel better.  I was comparing them to the one purple jalapeño that germinated and is much larger.   Some of mine look pretty good, but there are a few pretty tiny yet.  image.thumb.jpeg.b5d0d6bf86bce067d70b20e2c40ce366.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.68ae5292d732bae0dc495f35ec464e93.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.5a931cd439543219d646b0f18e63afdb.jpegy still!  

• Like 19

4 hours ago, wandb said:

Thank you Rich and Roy for the Daily Report and for the care lists—-and a big Thank You to all who pray for those in need. I do have an update on my sister. 

There is no cure for ovarian cancer, and her twin sister died of this terrible disease 8 years ago. So the outlook was pretty bleak as she went into the very agressive chemo treatments. (Each was a combination of 5 very powerful drugs).

We are ecstatic at the results of her CAT scan—-as are her Drs at M D Anderson!!

She was Stage 4 when diagnosed, with tumors everywhere. The Cat scan shows that all have disappeared except for 3 tiny spots that have shrunk to almost nothing!!  Rather than facing major invasive surgery, she is now scheduled for laparoscopy with three tiny incisions to remove those spots. 

We are so grateful for all of you who have prayed!!  We know we are seeing a miracle. 
Barb

I have goose bumps reading about this miraculous change in your sister's cancer.  It makes me so happy when we can save people through modern medicine (and prayer).  😇

• Like 17

2 minutes ago, bennybear said:

Thanks Jacqui for the detailed pepper post,  I do feel better.  I was comparing them to the one purple jalapeño that germinated and is much larger.   Some of mine look pretty good, but there are a few pretty tiny yet.

Glad you are feeling better. 👍 I think we’re in a similar situation, Brenda.  Yours look good.

They are different from the other chilies so we have to be careful not to compare.  I know as I was too.  I don’t believe they are going to be as tall - but more bushy than our standard chilies we are used to seeing.  We’ll have to compare notes in August 😉 

• Like 11

Good Afternoon All, thanks for the daily report.  We made it to Lancaster, PA and the weather is nice!  Had some wonderful chicken corn soup for lunch.  Probably will go to Kitchen Kettle to spend some time and then meet the grandkids for dinner.  I’m probably dating myself but I really enjoyed watching Phyliss Diller.  

• Like 16

40 minutes ago, Crazy For Cats said:

Good Afternoon All, thanks for the daily report.  We made it to Lancaster, PA and the weather is nice!  Had some wonderful chicken corn soup for lunch.  Probably will go to Kitchen Kettle to spend some time and then meet the grandkids for dinner.  I’m probably dating myself but I really enjoyed watching Phyliss Diller.  

Welcome back. Bird in hand for dinner ?

• Like 8

5 hours ago, wandb said:

Thank you Rich and Roy for the Daily Report and for the care lists—-and a big Thank You to all who pray for those in need. I do have an update on my sister. 

There is no cure for ovarian cancer, and her twin sister died of this terrible disease 8 years ago. So the outlook was pretty bleak as she went into the very agressive chemo treatments. (Each was a combination of 5 very powerful drugs).

We are ecstatic at the results of her CAT scan—-as are her Drs at M D Anderson!!

She was Stage 4 when diagnosed, with tumors everywhere. The Cat scan shows that all have disappeared except for 3 tiny spots that have shrunk to almost nothing!!  Rather than facing major invasive surgery, she is now scheduled for laparoscopy with three tiny incisions to remove those spots. 

We are so grateful for all of you who have prayed!!  We know we are seeing a miracle. 
Barb

Absolutely fantastic news Barb.

Delighted for you,your sister, friends and family.

Her treatment has worked wonders and hopefully our faith in prayers has helped too.

Graham.

• Like 8

Good afternoon all, it’s a breezy and cloudy day , some rain later.

Hope everyone has a safe and happy celebration 🇺🇸
    We need some special prayers for the first responders in. Surfside.  tragically one of them located his own child 💔🙏

• Like 11
  • Thanks 3

We're having a lull in the rain and I had the idea to plant some bush beans. Then it occurred to me that one variety is supposed to be ready for harvest in seven weeks and the other in eight, which would mean that they could ripen while I'm in Alaska. A couple of years ago a crop of peas ripened while I was on a Baltic cruise and I'm trying to keep that from happening again. So the eight-week variety will go in first, and the seven two or three weeks later, but before I leave.

There is plenty of other work to do in the garden, but once I've gotten hold of an idea it is hard to let go of it.

• Like 12

3 hours ago, rafinmd said:

I am not looking forward to the next few weeks.  I had my cardiac rehab eval this morning and they want me to go through October 13.  I had just a few minutes on the treadmill and absolutely hated it.  I think there may be a rebellion brewing.

Roy

Sorry to hear this Roy.

Sending you our very best wishes for your rehab and prayers for your recovery and return to cruising ASAP.

Graham & Pauline.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, 1ANGELCAT said:

We need some special prayers for the first responders in. Surfside.  tragically one of them located his own child 💔🙏

Oh, my god.  That's so terrible.

Roy

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, 1ANGELCAT said:

I simply couldn't bring myself to "like" your post.  What a terrible thing to happen to a first responder.  My prayers go out to that one, and all others who are doing what they can to locate and recover bodies from the rubble.

Smooth Sailing!

Gerry

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, 1ANGELCAT said:

That is heartbreaking...

• Like 9

Good afternoon from central Texas, where we are hoping for some rain.  I'm late today since I tackled the yard this morning before the predicted rain - still waiting. 😁 Then I made a quick grocery run, as I didn't want to go tomorrow in the rain.  🤞  It's gotten dry here, and the part  of the yard that is just natural country grass is turning brown and dusty.  

Yikes! 😱  Forgot Day?  I was still dealing with senior moments, that are getting more frequent, so maybe Forgot Day is in order.  The jury is still out on UFOs.  I'll celebrate sports journalists, but also all journalists, some of whom risk their lives to bring us the news.

We'll skip the meal and the drink but the wine sounds like one to try.  Tonight it will be chicken fajitas with our wine.

@smitty34877  That is great news about baby Camilla being moved closer to her parents.  Tana sounds like a strong person, and who is coming to terms with her diagnosis.  A good attitude helps.

@wandb  Barb, that is really good news about your DS. The less invasive any surgery the better.  MD Anderson is a truly cutting edge facility.

@GeorgeCharlie  We've haven't tried the Maltese pastry yet, but it looks like something we'll try on our next visit.

@POA1  Stay safe from the storm, but living in southern Florida, you know how to make it through them.

@HighlandCruiser Enjoy your trip to Diamond Lake.  We camped there the first time we visited Crater Lake.

@mamaofami  Carol, it is great that your kids are willing to tackle the red tape and are there for you and Sam.  Hope they get it straightened out and you find a new rehab facility for Sam soon.  Take care of yourself.

@puppycanducruise  Congratulations on your second jab!

@kazu  I was a  hold out for an air fryer as I did not want one that was just a basket.  The one I got, and that I love, is a vertical one with three racks.  It also has a rotisserie, a way to do kebobs, and a basket for fries.  AS DH pointed out, air airfryer is basically a small convetion oven.  I use mine in the kitchen and it doesn't really heat up the kitchen.  There are several versions on the one I have, and I checked them all out until I found one that seemed  a little sturdier.  Without mentioning the name, it is branded by a celebrity chef and sold at a store that sells bedding, linens and small appliances.

@rafinmd   Wow.  They really want a long rehab for you.  Could it be that is the time frame medicare will pay for rehab?

While we have been to Malta many times, beginning in 2002 on the old Noordam, we have only been to Gozo twice.  In 2017, the Prinsendam was scheduled to spend on day in Valetta and one day achored off Gozo.  The weather reports made it clear that it would be too rough to tender in Gozo, so Capt. DD came up with Plan B.  We spent two days in Valleta.  On that cruise, we rented a car for the two days, and the frist day we took the ferry to Gozo. The water was rught, but not too rough for the ferry.   In 2019, on the Veendam, we were able to tender at Gozo.  I'll go through my pictures and see what different ones I can find.

Lenda

• Like 16

9 minutes ago, 1ANGELCAT said:

Oh how horrible for him!  I couldn't like your post, but thank you for the news.

Edited by Quartzsite Cruiser
  • Like 9

7 minutes ago, 1ANGELCAT said:

Special Prayers on their way.

OMG that must have been very distressing for the first responders.

• Like 10

10 minutes ago, 1ANGELCAT said:

I liked the fact you shared it with us for prayers. I was fortunate not to ever respond to a family member but remember the extra pain when it was a dear friend. 

• Like 11

10 minutes ago, 1ANGELCAT said:

I saw that on the news.  So very sad.  I can’t imagine anything more tragic or heartbreaking 💔 

• Like 10