The Daily for Saturday Jul 03, 2021

richwmn

Today is Compliment Your Mirror Day, National Independent Beer Run Day, and Hop a Park Day

"When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear and life stands explained. - Mark Twain"

Meal suggestion for today - Seafood Salad

Drink of the Day - Paloma

Wine of the day - Pacific Bay Cabernet Sauvignon - Chile - Red

Destination of the Day - Darwin Australia

At Sea Gulf of California
Westerdam destination La Paz MX eta 7/3

At Sea Ionian Sea
Eurodam destination Piraeus GR eta 7/4

At Sea Pacific
Nieuw Amsterdam destination Long Beach eta today
Noordam destination Los Angeles eta 7/6
Zuiderdam drifting off Baja California

Corfu GR
Volendam
Zaandam

La Paz MX
Koningsdam

Scheveningen NL
Oosterdam Anchorage

Stiffup Cay
Nieuw Statendam Anchorage

Venice IT
Rotterdam

0703Europe.thumb.png.7f950dd5addcfdd837cdeb21a24b7905.png

0703USA.thumb.png.9a868cbcd58a363b959583018a197b7b.png

• Like 33
  • Thanks 5

Thank you for the Saturday Daily, Rich.  Interesting selection of days.  I like the Mark Twain quote.  Unfortunately, I've never been to Darwin.  I'll pass on the Seafood Salad.  My alternative is Sunset Salad, Chicken Breast with Israeli Couscous, and NSA Strawberry Ice Cream, my guess of what I might have had on MS Zaandam July 3, 2002 (Glacier Bay day) based on my 2014 Statendam menus.

Today’s care list:

Welfare of furloughed crews
Garlictown difficutl recovery from arm surgery
Western wildfires, Especially Lyttlon

Mamaofami rehab center problems

Bennybear DSILrecovering from surgery for aggressive cancer
First responder in Surfside, Florida recovering own child
smitty34877's Miss Camilla in NICU

From the rotation:
Tana starting to deal with Pulmonary Fibrosis
Kakalina awaiting radiation for aggressive cancer

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Front Line Health Care Workers

Jabs for HAL crew at Los Angeles, San Diego and Fort Lauderdale
wandb DS with great cat scan results
Explorer OTS housing Surfsice first responders
great scan result for wandb sister
Laseyv and son in Sedonia for a week
highland cruiser at Diamond Lake
St. Pete Cruiser on a road trip
Carol’s children standing up for their father
Miss Camila about ready to move to NICU closer to family

Dfish in Michigan

CrazyforCats in Pennsylvania

HorizonChaser1857 visiting DS in Okanagan

Mr Boston visiting mom in Michigan

and Staff Captain Sabine, HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 34
  • Thanks 4

We have cruise activity starting to ramp up with a passenger turn around for Edge in Fort Lauderdale, and Adventure OTS and Crystal Serenity sailing from Nassau.

Roy

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1

Happy Saturday.  Never compliment my mirror, love the Beer Run Day, and Hop a Park?

Excellent quote by Mark Twain.

Love the menu suggestion.

Have not been to today's port.

Prayers and toasts to our lists.  So happy to see ships sailing again.

Continue to stay safe, keep your distance, and wear your mask for safety.

Paloma:

Kosher salt
1 grapefruit wedge
¼ cup fresh grapefruit juice
1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
1 teaspoon sugar
¼ cup mescal or tequila
¼ cup club soda
Preparation
Step 1
Pour some kosher salt on a plate. Rub half of rim of a highball glass with grapefruit wedge; dip rim of glass in salt. Combine grapefruit juice, lime juice, and sugar in glass; stir until sugar is dissolved. Stir in mescal, add ice, and top off with club soda. Garnish with grapefruit wedge.

Screen Shot 2021-07-03 at 6.45.47 AM.png

• Like 26
  • Thanks 2

Good morning.  Thanks for the Daily Report.

Interesting collection of days.  I do not compliment my mirror.  It seems like it's not me in the mirror.  Who is that person with bags under the eyes and wrinkles?  It can't be me! 😉

The drink of the day sounds great.  Hope the wine is good too.

Prayers for everyone on the Care List.  Cheers to all who celebrate.

Stay safe.

• Like 20

Hop A Park Day is celebrated on the first Saturday of July, and this year the day will be celebrated on July 3. It is a day to explore the parks in your area and reconnect with your neighbors and the community. Not only do you get to spend time outdoors, but it is also a great way to detox from all forms of technology. We spend a lot of time online and not much being outdoors. The day celebrates the simple joys of life like a leisurely stroll, a breath of fresh air, and being completely relaxed.

https://nationaltoday.com/hop-a-park-day/

• Like 27
  • Thanks 2

Good Morning. Thanks for the Daily, Rich and also for the explaination of "Hop A Park Day" It makes a lot of sense and I love it.Things are calm and normal here in SW Floida but we are all keeping our eye on the weather maps to see what path the hurricane might take.

• Like 19

26 minutes ago, summer slope said:

Paloma:

Kosher salt
1 grapefruit wedge
¼ cup fresh grapefruit juice
1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
1 teaspoon sugar
¼ cup mescal or tequila
¼ cup club soda
Preparation
Step 1
Pour some kosher salt on a plate. Rub half of rim of a highball glass with grapefruit wedge; dip rim of glass in salt. Combine grapefruit juice, lime juice, and sugar in glass; stir until sugar is dissolved. Stir in mescal, add ice, and top off with club soda. Garnish with grapefruit wedge.

On October 25, 2020 @summer slope provided this simpler recipe:

Paloma

One part tequila
Three parts grapefruit soda

Stir together and serve over ice.
Standard garnish: Lime wedge

It works better for me because grapefruit soda is my go-to carbonated soft drink and always on hand.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, jimgev said:

Things are calm and normal here in SW Floida but we are all keeping our eye on the weather maps to see what path the hurricane might take.

We in North Central Florida are doing the same. Forecast is for it to be Tropical Storm Elsa when it gets to FL.

• Like 14

37 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

We have cruise activity starting to ramp up with a passenger turn around for Edge in Fort Lauderdale, and Adventure OTS and Crystal Serenity sailing from Nassau.

Roy

New live review from Adventure starting up today on Royal for anyone interested.  Katherine 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the Daily, Rich and our Saturday smile 🙂 

Interesting collection of days.  Beer Run Day makes sense before July 4th, I guess.  Never heard of compliment your mirror day before.

6E388A5C-AF72-4295-8F34-DB43B39D6CE0.jpeg.fdcc971fb739b25f05650239dd6a78c9.jpeg

Good quote by Mark Twain and yum on the meal suggestion.  We have visited Australia but weren’t in Darwin, sadly.

It cooled down but with the humidity and thick air yesterday I didn’t get much accomplished despite my good intentions.  My day was sort of like this:

672E1FD6-31B2-426F-AA6D-3112259D607A.jpeg.6e2f0ba2f98427fb99149696cb9c2b05.jpeg

Going to have to try again today. 😉  First, I need coffee…

4C8595EC-3D0A-42DA-9B0B-DCE702C77CE8.thumb.jpeg.1f8245afbd286a8765de4790da3cd461.jpeg

Hoping that Elsa remains downgraded and does minimal damage to everyone in it’s path 🙏🏻 

Prayers for everyone on the Care list & for those that need them and 🥂 to those on the Celebratory / Shout Out list.

Have a great Saturday everyone!

72ACF464-E8EC-4323-A863-03B096AC9563.jpeg.e223fd28bc4a62995e4f6df16b2d0060.jpeg

Stay safe and don’t forget your 😷 

• Like 27
  • Haha 6

It will be a busy week for us as our 5 year old granddaughter is going to spend the week with us. She’s a fireball so this will be a challenge of who will survive.

Have many plans but weather and hurricanes may put a damper on outdoor events.

Happy Holidays and thanks for the Fleet Report. 

• Like 23
  • Haha 1

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich! Love today’s combination of days!

Roy, thank you for keeping our lists. Morning Dailyite family! A rainy morning here, but it is starting to clear up. At least for awhile. My flowers are so happy.  Interesting quote. Meal sounds good, as does the drink.

An early class at the gym, then packing Bindi’s bag for her upcoming vacation, and a test packing for me. Hope that it all fits, because I really do not want to scale down anymore than I have. And I want to use my small suitcase. Need to forage in the fridge and start using more stuff up. 

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Stay well everyone!

Pacific Bay Cabernet Sauvignon - Chile

You might just try this Cab, since I found it online for as low as $5.89 a bottle. It may not knock your socks off, but paired with a meal it might be fine. I could not find any professional reviews.

From wine cellar.com: There isn’t much to say about this. It is a very forgettable wine that I wouldn’t buy again.... it did well with pasta. It’s a fruit bomb table wine. There is better even in this price range. 

Basic bulk wine. Nice flavors of blackberry, cassis, and cherry. Smooth tannins and light acidity. Good for catering events and parties. 

Smoky, fruity, acid, short clean finish, nothing really memorable here.
  • Like 23
  • Thanks 1

Good Saturday morning to everyone!  I got up before dawn to start my treadmill routine and when I glanced out at the sky the entire eastern sky was rose pink.  No clouds to speak of either.  It was beautiful but I was too lazy to get my phone and take a photo.  I just hope that vivid sky doesn't mean bad weather like the old sailor saying about red skies!

Nice group of days today.  Even though I'm not a beer drinker we know beer runs are so important for the Independence Day holiday.  Interesting quote by Twain.  Thanks for the Daily today Rich.  And to Roy, we are thrilled to see the celebratory list getting longer and longer.  Jacqui your Living Will meme is a doozy!   😂 Maybe I will send that out to a few folks today to get their reaction.  

If you don't like heat and humidity, be glad that you haven't been to Darwin!  I was there twice in Nov. of 2013 on Diamond Princess and in October of 2017 on Sun Princess.  And even though I hate heat and humidity I'm not sorry I was there because I love seeing Australia.  

When you arrive in Darwin, you walk off the ship and head through a parklike area towards an ELEVATOR so that you can head into the downtown area.  Yes, an elevator.  It's a very unique place. enhance

enhance

Walking through the parkenhance

Approaching the glass elevator areaenhance

Leaving the elevator looking back towards the park and water.enhance

Christmas decorations seen along our walkways, since this visit was in late November.enhance

Heading towards the shopping areas of town we pass by statues and town hall ruins.enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

We also walked near the Parliament buildingenhance

When we reached the downtown area, we noticed the overhead sun protection and misting stations to keep people comfortable while they shopped.  Something I haven't seen too often in my travels.enhance

I don't suppose they'd mind if you slipped off your shoes and cooled your feet in this spot.enhance

You could even learn a little history if you took the time to read this bronze plaque.enhance

By this time we were ready to retrace our steps and enter the cool air conditioned interior of our cruise ship.  Even with their tropical climate, I am willing to visit the capital of the Northern Territory anytime!!

• Like 36
  • Thanks 1

Good morning, Dailyites!  Up early here and looking forward to a full holiday weekend.  🇺🇸  ⛱️  🎈 🏐  🍔  🌭  🍺

For the most part, I avoid mirrors.  When everything didn't fall off at 40, I sighed relief and quit looking.  A beer run is appropriate for our long holiday weekend; and we park-hop all the time with our DGD and DGS.   ( @aliaschief  I feel your exhaustion.  It's hard work keeping up with the little ones!)  

We are very fortunate to have both DD and DS living within 10 minutes of us, with their families, so lots of park time.

Big Mark Twain fan here; enjoy hearing any of his thoughts.

@rafinmd, sorry to hear there is consternation about your PT.  You seem to have good instincts and will no doubt figure out a sensible path for that.

@wandab, I was under the weather yesterday, so missed your news about DS.  A special shout-out to you for her resilience and to the excellence of our health care.  Very happy news!

To all the Daily contributors, Thank You!  @kazu, your joke about getting nothing done really hit home.  Summertime inertia here!  It seems to hit every year by 4th of July.  🤷‍♀️

Have a nice Saturday, All, and stay safe!  😊  🌻  💛  🌼

• Like 24

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  We should compliment our mirrors, rather than criticize them, but I'd like to find one that takes 20 pounds off me.  I remember in our younger days, the beer runs before we'd head to a lake for the weekend.  It really didn't matter that we didn't bring along a lot of food, as long as there was beer.  Of course, that was well BC - before children.  

It's so nice seeing some cruise ships sailing, even if we aren't on them - at least it means there's a better chance of us getting to board one in the future.  Hopefully we'll be able to do that in 118 days.

Another hot day on the "frozen tundra" with temps expected to reach 36C or 38C; we had a warm night, as DH thought the house had cooled down enough and turned off the A/C before we went to bed.  We both woke up sometime in the middle of the night, very uncomfortable because in addition to heat, we also have 79% humidity . . . something very uncommon here on the prairies.  Very sticky.

As far as "hop the park" day, we will be going to a park today, but not for a fun experience - we're going to attend the funeral of a friend who sadly died in his sleep a few days ago.  He was only 65 and relatively healthy, but apparently had a pulmonary embolism, so there was nothing that could be done.  We will gather with many others in a regional park where we can social distance, but still come together to grieve his passing safely.  Everyone will bring lawn chairs, water, and umbrellas to the service.

I like today's menu suggestion, but because it's still so warm, I think we'll be tossing some smokies on the barbecue when we get home, and will enjoy them with all the usual fixings and coleslaw.  And wine.

Mistake.jpg.9551ec86d3980c1dffb5201aaca78301.jpg

Prayers for everyone who needs them and even for those who don't think they do.  Clinking the glasses together to toast all on the celebration list, and to celebrate the life we have to live.  Stay safe, be well, wash your hands, wear your masks, and hydrate!

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 33
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Good morning Dailyites and thanks for the report Rich.  Probably won’t be complimenting the mirror today unless George Clooney is staring back out of it!  May need to do a beer run and perhaps visit a park. Interesting quote by Mark Twain today.  The meal and drink sound delicious but we’re having a traditional cook out here today.  The photos of today’s port so far are very nice, would love to visit some day.  The weather here today is supposed to be nice and warm, may visit a high school classmate in Harbor Springs this afternoon.  Prayers to everyone on our prayer list and cheers to everyone with a celebration today!  Stay safe in your travels everyone!

45003615-5855-41D8-BB9B-134DD6091F8A.jpeg

• Like 23

Good morning, everyone, from Golden Beach on Grand Traverse Bay.  First, a look at last night's sunset.

IMG_1065.thumb.jpg.0a74f35fef8957968794ba256ea10dd6.jpg

Not sure what is on the agenda for today besides drinking coffee.

Today's meal is a great one for a celebration and the celebration list looks like many can do just that!  

https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/easy-seafood-salad/

Easy-Citrus-Seafood-Salad_EXPS_TOHJJ20_242786_E02_05_1b-6.jpg.7fd102eb31901fd4eae8b46b1f967b80.jpg

• Like 33
  • Thanks 1