After all this time Princess still has us in Limbo.....

HodgeNNicole

1 hour ago, Iamcruzin said:

Princess is the poster child for covid deaths, quarantining and passengers being held hostage at sea. I can understand why they would be extra cautious. With that said, are they sailing out of Florida anytime soon given that you can't ask for proof of vaccination in the state of Florida? 

Cruise lines such as RCI and Celebrity are asking for voluntary proof of vaccination. If you do not voluntarily show proof you are considered un vaccinated and must pay for a test and wear masks and be banned from many venues. Sounds fair to me 

• Like 6

53 minutes ago, memoak said:

Cruise lines such as RCI and Celebrity are asking for voluntary proof of vaccination. If you do not voluntarily show proof you are considered un vaccinated and must pay for a test and wear masks and be banned from many venues. Sounds fair to me 

Royal is just sailing with Vaxxed and Unvaxxed passengers out of Florida. They set up a bunch of rules for unvaccinated so the Vaccinated are will to provide information without even being asked.  Last I heard Celebrity is sailing 95% vaccinated.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HodgeNNicole said:

I will not be subjecting my 6 year old to the vaccine until at some point in the very distant future. 

I don't blame you. I don't think I would be rushing out to vaccinate my 6yr old so quickly just to go on a cruise.  I'm 60 and my wife and adult children are all vaccinated but for us getting covid is more of a risk than taking a chance on the vaccine.

12 hours ago, memoak said:

If you are fully vaccinated and are willing to show proof of said vaccination then I believe you can board without a test. For 2021 at least all adults need to be vaccinated. They may set a few slots for children under 12 but they would be extremely limited and probably will need to wear a mask

From last week's webinar:

319141063_28Slide002.jpg.525b61b10284d233b3c878700fe928a1.jpg

15 hours ago, Reader0108598 said:

They are fun they shove a Qtip up you nose had a couple done now and I am vaccinated another tomorrow!! They don't want me going for a pulmanary test they are forcing me to go for with out it!

Even more fun when they do not do it right the first time (or second or third).

They had to do it four times with me recently before they were satisfied they had a good sample.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, memoak said:

Seems like a fair solution.

In the old days, it was a real burden for small businesses to pay credit card merchant fees.

And, the merchant agreement forbid adding the fees to a credit card purchase.

A clever business came up with "discount for cash" ... which followed the rules, and accomplished

almost the same thing.

Not asking, but charging extra if you don't offer vaccination proof reminds me of that.

The downside of allowing unvaccinated people onboard (even with additional tests/fees) is that

there may be a covid outbreak onboard.

For instance, someone can be exposed/infected while traveling to the ship, but still

have a pre-departure negative test result.

And, any outbreak may have a negative effect on others' cruise.

Skipping ports; shortening cruise; delaying return to disembarcation port, etc.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, HodgeNNicole said:

Thanks for all the comments.  I will just wait until they tell me I can't cruise instead of cancelling.  One would think since they are telling me no that there should be no reason I can't get 100% of any money back.  If I cancel they might fight me to refund anything.

I will not be subjecting my 6 year old to the vaccine until at some point in the very distant future.  I am not comfortable subjecting him to something that is unproven to be safe from long term issues to protect him from something that he is highly unlikely to get.  I am not saying this to make a statement just simply saying I am not comfortable without additional information.

Then plan on not sailing with them.  Cruise lines are not going to be disposed to taking the risk of passengers who are not vaccinated. 

• Like 1

To the OP, worried about a refund....Cruise line boilerplate....if you cancel a cruise before final payment you receive any/all of the $$ back that you may have paid for your sailing.  Deposit, monthly payment, etc.

If you wait until after final payment date you lose your deposit.

17 hours ago, memoak said:

Then plan on not sailing with them.  Cruise lines are not going to be disposed to taking the risk of passengers who are not vaccinated. 

Especially Princess, now.

They are starting out with just a few ships, sailing at reduced capacity.

(capacity requirements may have changed or will change)

Princess will have way more demand than just a few ships can handle.

No need to bend rules, nor fares.

Edited by Roberto256

On 7/5/2021 at 4:08 PM, Iamcruzin said:

Princess is the poster child for covid deaths, quarantining and passengers being held hostage at sea. I can understand why they would be extra cautious. With that said, are they sailing out of Florida anytime soon given that you can't ask for proof of vaccination in the state of Florida? 

Royal Caribbean has the answer to that: ask for "volunteers" to show their proof. If you provide your proof voluntarily you get a wristband that basically allows you to go anywhere on the ship. If you aren't willing or can't show proof, they punch a hole in the cruise card and restrict where you can go plus require a mask everywhere but in your cabin.

Plus, the unvaxxed have the privilege of paying for up to 3 or 4 tests (before, during & after). The tests may be a couple of hundred each.

Works for me.😎

Edited by JF - retired RRT
  • Like 1

On 7/6/2021 at 5:54 AM, Roberto256 said:

Seems like a fair solution.

In the old days, it was a real burden for small businesses to pay credit card merchant fees.

And, the merchant agreement forbid adding the fees to a credit card purchase.

A clever business came up with "discount for cash" ... which followed the rules, and accomplished

almost the same thing.

Not asking, but charging extra if you don't offer vaccination proof reminds me of that.

The downside of allowing unvaccinated people onboard (even with additional tests/fees) is that

there may be a covid outbreak onboard.

For instance, someone can be exposed/infected while traveling to the ship, but still

have a pre-departure negative test result.

And, any outbreak may have a negative effect on others' cruise.

Skipping ports; shortening cruise; delaying return to disembarcation port, etc.

Already happened on MSC (?) and maybe one or 2 others.

57 minutes ago, gardening_guy said:

This sounds like coming from Canada (considered international) we may have to have a test in addition to being fully vaccinated?

Nothing to to with Princess.  If you are flying down to FL/CA, you have to have the 72-hr test ahead of flight time.  CDC reg.

On 7/5/2021 at 7:11 PM, HodgeNNicole said:

I will not be subjecting my 6 year old to the vaccine until at some point in the very distant future.

in that case you can cruise with RCI out of FL.

Of course, there will be a ton of unvaxxed adults on that cruise, but it's your choice as a parent, since your kid is unlikely to die from Covid.

Edited by Itchy&Scratchy

7 hours ago, gardening_guy said:

This sounds like coming from Canada (considered international) we may have to have a test in addition to being fully vaccinated?

6 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

Nothing to to with Princess.  If you are flying down to FL/CA, you have to have the 72-hr test ahead of flight time.  CDC reg.

Testing at the port terminal has nothing to do with being tested prior to flying to the USA.

gardening_guy has a good question

2 hours ago, caribill said:

Testing at the port terminal has nothing to do with being tested prior to flying to the USA.

gardening_guy has a good question

As far as I read it, Princess isn't requiring a test for fully-vaccinated.  Airlines do not yet have this exemption per CDC.  My answer was intended to make the distinction between flying and Princess at the terminal.  Perhaps I should have been more detailed.  

Any passenger arriving at the terminal for check-in can reveal or not reveal any recent travel.  Obviously, they traveled to get to the port terminal, but I don't see that as requiring a test if vaccinated.  

If there is any doubt, the obvious answer is to call Princess a couple of times and see if you get the same answer twice. 

If only flying in the day before, or heaven-forbid the day-of, I suppose the test for the airline could be presented to Princess.  Might be tricky timing, however.  It could be a challenge for some people who really need to present a test to Princess.  I mean sufficient time to get another one on arrival.  Regardless, flying down from Canada to board the cruise as fully-vaccinated AT WORST MAY require a Covid test at the terminal.  NBD, IMO.  Probably no issue at all.  

Tagging @gardening_guy.

• Like 1

^^^^^  Princess has advised passengers on the Nov 3/21 Transatlantic (Regal) from the UK to Fort Lauderdale must be fully vaccinated and will be subject to a covid test prior to embarkation at Princess' expense.

Edited by racj846
  • Like 1

On 7/6/2021 at 11:36 AM, thinfool said:

To the OP, worried about a refund....Cruise line boilerplate....if you cancel a cruise before final payment you receive any/all of the $$ back that you may have paid for your sailing.  Deposit, monthly payment, etc.

If you wait until after final payment date you lose your deposit.

Hey Thinfool,

I was thinking about this but... if PRINCESS cancels me how does that effect the refund situation?? I had so many cruises canceled and re-booked the last 18 months I have no idea how much money is mine and how much is the 125% princess offered etc??

I live in California so we only selected this trip because of not needing flights etc. so this is an easy 45 min drive to the port so no other travel issues needed just the cruise.

I have an an amazing TA she has been with me for over 30 years and I feel bad for her during this mess.  I am sure she will help me forge myth way through the process.

On 7/11/2021 at 5:10 PM, HodgeNNicole said:

Hey Thinfool,

I was thinking about this but... if PRINCESS cancels me how does that effect the refund situation?? I had so many cruises canceled and re-booked the last 18 months I have no idea how much money is mine and how much is the 125% princess offered etc??

I live in California so we only selected this trip because of not needing flights etc. so this is an easy 45 min drive to the port so no other travel issues needed just the cruise.

I have an an amazing TA she has been with me for over 30 years and I feel bad for her during this mess.  I am sure she will help me forge myth way through the process.

20210712_184912.thumb.jpg.4ba8d02b9aed7088dd457f333aa0708d.jpg

next review your CRUISE CREDITS. the amount you paid and had refunded as FCC will show up as Cash Value Fcc-voy Xxxxx-100% and can be cashed in, the bonus amount shows up as Used For Goodwill Fccs and is forfeited if the Cash Value Fcc-voy Xxxxx-100% is refunded 

20210712_185230.thumb.jpg.61761396a2686d786a82a7eb02bcf8ba.jpg

On 7/7/2021 at 9:24 AM, gardening_guy said:

I'm hoping the test we have at the airport the day before our departure will be sufficient.  If not we will just get retested.

42 minutes ago, Sprocket said:

I'm hoping the test we have at the airport the day before our departure will be sufficient.  If not we will just get retested.

Yes, if Princess wants to test you, it is up to them and they will do it.  No need to be in FL, for example, and run around getting a second test.

5 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

Yes, if Princess wants to test you, it is up to them and they will do it.  No need to be in FL, for example, and run around getting a second test.

Fortunately our upcoming cruise is out of Seattle so an hour flight from Vancouver and our test there is booked, and Princess will do the test for the return.  And on arrival if they see fit.  I just wish it was simpler times, you know just go!!!

On 7/7/2021 at 8:01 PM, racj846 said:

^^^^^  Princess has advised passengers on the Nov 3/21 Transatlantic (Regal) from the UK to Fort Lauderdale must be fully vaccinated and will be subject to a covid test prior to embarkation at Princess' expense.

When did they say this? I have been watching this sailing carefully as I would like to do it if the quarantine requirements in the UK are lifted. The website still states the following for this sailing:

Vaccination & Testing Cruise Policy

All guests 18 years old and over will be required to have completed their vaccination course a minimum of 14 days prior to sailing. All guests 17 years old and below will need to have completed their vaccination course a minimum 14 days prior to sailing or will require a negative PCR test within 72 hours prior to travel. All guests will also require a negative COVID-19 test at the terminal which is complimentary.

The way I read this, kids don't need to be vaccinated but will require a negative test if they are not?
  • Like 1

On 7/6/2021 at 1:40 AM, caribill said:

Even more fun when they do not do it right the first time (or second or third).

They had to do it four times with me recently before they were satisfied they had a good sample.

Exactly!  My first test was negative....there is no way I could be negative. DH and I were on the Coral Princess for 30 days and then confined to our cabin for the last 6 days of the sailing.  He was positive...there was no way I couldn't be too.  Test repeated the next week and of course positive.  I just feel like they didn't shove the q-tip far enough up my nose.  DH said his felt like they "poked the back of his eyeball", mine was not that bad.

We will spend 3 days in San Francisco prior to the cruise, so I would assume that my covid test to come into the country will have expired for getting on the ship,  The cruise isn't until March so who knows what the practice will be by then. .lol  I'll take it as it comes as long as I can get on that darn ship.