After all this time Princess still has us in Limbo.....

HodgeNNicole

After just under 435,679 cancelled cruises we finally booked the Grand out of Los Angeles for a little 4 day weekend getaway on Sept 30.  We have had this booked for almost a year and it looked like we would be the 2nd cruise on her after the great Cruise Lock out.....

My wife and I are fully vaccinated, we have a 6 year old and the 3 of us have been counting down the days.....

Here is where it gets sticky, they are saying we can't sail unless fully vaccinated.  Well, my 6 year old is not eligible.  From what I understood  the ships would be sailing about 90-95% vaccinated to allow for people that can't be vaccinated and/or young kids?? 

After 1.5  hours on the phone with Princess my Travel Agent and I are still uncertain?? The only thing we know now is my final payment is not due till early August and we MIGHT know more by then.

Anybody have information or want to split the cost with us on a raft that we are planning on strapping our son on to and dragging behind the ship?

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

We will be on the Grand on Oct. 4th. Are 6 year olds required to be vaccinated? I’m sure this is all so new for everyone that there are more questions than answers! We are seniors, so both of us are vaccinated. I presume we will still both need COVID-19 tests though. I’ve never had one. 

Don't have an answer regarding COVID vaccination for 6 year old.  

Do have experience with COVID tests.  Not as restrictive as going to Hawaii.  You can take the test anywhere.  I am hoping they will just accept vaccination record and Princess provides a rapid test onboard.  Otherwise, rapid tests cost around $200.  PCR tests are nasal swab tests....but not guaranteed results within 72 hours from Walgreens.  Sometimes Medicare picks up the cost.  Sometimes you are charged.  Heard Kaiser was free.  But this is all old since the Vaccines came out

Currently Princess is not allowing anybody to sail who is not vaccinated. That means nobody under the age of 12 can sail. People have reported having their cruises cancelled because they have young children who can't get vaccinated. Don't count on sailing. It is very unlikely to happen. Talk to your TA or to Princess before getting all excited to sail.

• Like 6

I recall someone on CC mentioned that they had to cancel their Alaskan cruise because of underage and unvaccinated children.  Princess would not budge.  Do not be surprised if the same happens to you.  Sorry.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Thrak said:

Currently Princess is not allowing anybody to sail who is not vaccinated. That means nobody under the age of 12 can sail. People have reported having their cruises cancelled because they have young children who can't get vaccinated. Don't count on sailing. It is very unlikely to happen.

100% correct.

Originally Princess did say they would allow close to 5% unvaccinated passengers this year, mainly due to families like your with children under 12.

But then they hit the logistics of dealing separately with vaccinated people and unvaccinated people. Other cruise lines are having unvaccinated passengers (including any who are vaccinated but do not present evidence of it) severely restricted on what they can do on board and where they can do it. Examples are must wear a mask anytime inside except when in own cabin or eating or drinking, not allowed in some venues on the ship, restricted as to where they can dine, and more.

That is when Princess decided all passengers had to be vaccinated unless they had religious or medical proof a vaccination was not possible for health reasons.

At this point, this apples to all Princess cruises that involve a USA port this year.

Hope Princess notifies people in advance of their sail dates to let them know their unvaccinated kids can't sail.  

Edited by AF-1
  • Like 3

11 hours ago, HodgeNNicole said:

After just under 435,679 cancelled cruises we finally booked the Grand out of Los Angeles for a little 4 day weekend getaway on Sept 30.  We have had this booked for almost a year and it looked like we would be the 2nd cruise on her after the great Cruise Lock out.....

My wife and I are fully vaccinated, we have a 6 year old and the 3 of us have been counting down the days.....

Here is where it gets sticky, they are saying we can't sail unless fully vaccinated.  Well, my 6 year old is not eligible.  From what I understood  the ships would be sailing about 90-95% vaccinated to allow for people that can't be vaccinated and/or young kids?? 

After 1.5  hours on the phone with Princess my Travel Agent and I are still uncertain?? The only thing we know now is my final payment is not due till early August and we MIGHT know more by then.

Anybody have information or want to split the cost with us on a raft that we are planning on strapping our son on to and dragging behind the ship?

If neither Princess nor your TA can give a satisfactory answer ... have you considered planning a land trip that would be fun for all 3 of you?  I would consider Princess a no-go and cancel in favor of an alternate adventure.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, 7SeasLover said:

We will be on the Grand on Oct. 4th. Are 6 year olds required to be vaccinated? I’m sure this is all so new for everyone that there are more questions than answers! We are seniors, so both of us are vaccinated. I presume we will still both need COVID-19 tests though. I’ve never had one. 

They are fun they shove a Qtip up you nose had a couple done now and I am vaccinated another tomorrow!! They don't want me going for a pulmanary test they are forcing me to go for with out it!

Edited by Reader0108598

If you are fully vaccinated and are willing to show proof of said vaccination then I believe you can board without a test. For 2021 at least all adults need to be vaccinated. They may set a few slots for children under 12 but they would be extremely limited and probably will need to wear a mask

2 hours ago, memoak said:

If you are fully vaccinated and are willing to show proof of said vaccination then I believe you can board without a test. For 2021 at least all adults need to be vaccinated. They may set a few slots for children under 12 but they would be extremely limited and probably will need to wear a mask

Personally, with the way the Delta variant is spreading especially to unvaccinated, I would be reluctant to take my little ones on a cruise even if an exception were to be made.

• Like 6

We are also In the same situation. We have a family reunion cruise planned for December 29th. 2 grandchildren under the age of 12 who are not vaccinated yet. Phizer is doing trails now and should have results by September. We are hoping we can get them vaccinated just in time 

This is from my Travel Summary for a cruise leaving August 8th.

Please be advised that guests of all ages on this voyage are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and provide proof at the terminal prior to boarding the cruise.

If you are unable to produce the described proof of vaccination, you will be denied boarding without refund. Visit our CruiseHealth FAQ for more information: https://*****/pcl_chfaq.

This information has been widely shared and at this time on Princess no unvaccinated children or adults will be allowed to board.

1 hour ago, Carla3 said:

We are also In the same situation. We have a family reunion cruise planned for December 29th. 2 grandchildren under the age of 12 who are not vaccinated yet. Phizer is doing trails now and should have results by September. We are hoping we can get them vaccinated just in time 

Our daughter is a physician and Public Health expert, she has been told that it is "very likely" that a vaccine will be approved for 5 to 11 year old's by early September.  "If" this happens, then kids over the age of 5 should be able to cruise later this year.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, LACruiser88 said:

Our daughter is a physician and Public Health expert, she has been told that it is "very likely" that a vaccine will be approved for 5 to 11 year old's by early September.  "If" this happens, then kids over the age of 5 should be able to cruise later this year.

Our youngest grandchild is only 2! From what I’ve read, the study is from age 6 months and up. All we can do is wait and see, but there will be a bunch of very sad families if we have to cancel/postpone 

18 minutes ago, LACruiser88 said:

Congrats on your daughters accomplishments.! My son is a sargeant with our State Trooper department. 🙂

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Carla3 said:

Our youngest grandchild is only 2! From what I’ve read, the study is from age 6 months and up. All we can do is wait and see, but there will be a bunch of very sad families if we have to cancel/postpone 

The trails are going on for 6 months and up, but she was told that the initial approval "might" be for the 5 to 11 year old's.  They are wanting the elementary school aged children to be vaccinated as soon as possible.

7 minutes ago, LACruiser88 said:

The trails are going on for 6 months and up, but she was told that the initial approval "might" be for the 5 to 11 year old's.  They are wanting the elementary school aged children to be vaccinated as soon as possible.

I have two Grand children under ten I agree with their parents  right to decide !if their kids get it having said that I have a lot of health issues and got my vaccines!

Edited by Reader0108598

28 minutes ago, Carla3 said:

That is bad as <= 2-year old may never be identified for vaccination.  If so, hopefully that will become a recognized exemption.

4 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

That is bad as <= 2-year old may never be identified for vaccination.  If so, hopefully that will become a recognized exemption.

They're doing trails on kids as young as 6 months right now so they will be allowed to be vaccinated at some point.

I can only go by what Princess has put out there.  Only vaccinated people may sail in '21.  Even if a vaccine is approved for your son in time, you would have to decide whether to allow him to get it.  Of course, things are ever changing.  

Princess is the poster child for covid deaths, quarantining and passengers being held hostage at sea. I can understand why they would be extra cautious. With that said, are they sailing out of Florida anytime soon given that you can't ask for proof of vaccination in the state of Florida? 

Thanks for all the comments.  I will just wait until they tell me I can't cruise instead of cancelling.  One would think since they are telling me no that there should be no reason I can't get 100% of any money back.  If I cancel they might fight me to refund anything.

I will not be subjecting my 6 year old to the vaccine until at some point in the very distant future.  I am not comfortable subjecting him to something that is unproven to be safe from long term issues to protect him from something that he is highly unlikely to get.  I am not saying this to make a statement just simply saying I am not comfortable without additional information.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HodgeNNicole said:

Thanks for all the comments.  I will just wait until they tell me I can't cruise instead of cancelling.  One would think since they are telling me no that there should be no reason I can't get 100% of any money back.  If I cancel they might fight me to refund anything.

I will not be subjecting my 6 year old to the vaccine until at some point in the very distant future.  I am not comfortable subjecting him to something that is unproven to be safe from long term issues to protect him from something that he is highly unlikely to get.  I am not saying this to make a statement just simply saying I am not comfortable without additional information.

Then don't expect to be cruising until you are willing to vaccinate your spawn.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1