The Daily for Wednesday July 28, 2021

richwmn

Good morning everyone. Today will only be 83, down from the 90s

Love chocolate, milk chocolate too even though dark is healthier. I am drowning in paperwork and things that have to be copied. Our new printer copied one thing and then no more. I have to see if maybe I put the paper in the wrong place.Sam is no help with it because we got the printer right before his stroke.

Our governor is suggesting masks indoors again because the delta variant is spreading in NJ. No word if those who took J and J need a booster.

Evedently, I missed some nasty comments in Lisa’s thread.There are always those people who need to be negative.

Have a good day everyone and prayers for all those on Roy’s list.

Carol

• Like 19

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  Rich, you had me at chocolate; milk or dark, they're all delicious.  Cheers for the Buffalo Soldiers, more unsung heroes.  As mentioned previously, every day should be Natural Conservation Day.

Ever have one of those nights where it's like the song "Tossing and Turning"?  That was me last night for no known reason.  I normally sleep like the dead, but last night was the other end of the spectrum.  I'm pretty sure a mid afternoon nap is in my future.

It's a beautiful day on the "frozen tundra" with our temps only going up to +29C (84F), and the humidity is down to 65%, making it much nicer.  Today I can easily spend time outside deadheading the flowers, adding fertilizers, cleaning out our fountain, etc.

@St. Louis Sal good luck today with your final lumbar puncture.

@smitty34877 keeping my fingers crossed that little Miss Camilla gets to go home today.

Thank you to everyone for the fabulous photos of Petra yesterday - I'd love to be able to see it in person one day!

I like today's menu suggestion, and make stew often throughout the fall and winter.  It's an easy meal, it makes the house smell wonderful, and there are always leftovers.  For today however, DH was talking about barbecuing up some farmer sausage, so while he's doing that, I'll put together a potato salad and get the crudite tray ready.  And wine.

Chocolate.jpg.d6f4dde17b817c35f24098aa293a7d19.jpg

Prayers for everyone who needs them and even for those who don't think they do.  Clinking the glasses together to celebrate all on the shout-out list.  Be safe, stay well, wash your hands, wear your masks when you need to, and hydrate!

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 23
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, richwmn said:

Today is National Milk Chocolate Day, Buffalo Soldiers Day, and World Nature Conservation Day

The chief danger in life is that you may take too may precautions. -- Alfred Adler

Meal suggestion for today - Best Ever Beef Stew

Drink of the Day - Kremlin Colonel

Wine of the day - Résonance Pinot Noir Willamette Valley 2015

Destination of the Day - Takoradi Ghana

Ships with Passengers

Sitka
Nieuw Amsterdam 08:00 - 17:00

Ships without Passengers

At Sea Pacific
Westerdam Destination La Paz MX

Corfu GR
Volendam
Zaandam

Great Stirrup Cay
Nieuw Statendam Anchorage

La Paz MX
Noordam Anchorage

Long Beach
Koningsdam Anchorage
Zuiderdam Anchorage

Piraeus GR
Eurodam Anchorage

Scheveningen NL
Oosterdam Anchorage

Venice IT
Rotterdam

0728NAmerica.thumb.png.edb8fff1e678b0601332332eda880177.png

0728Europe.thumb.png.81cfeb3a472238ec1a0c0fc51da83961.png

Rich thank you for the DAILY FLEET REPORT. The maps are appreciated.  I agree with the Adler quote.  The meal suggestion is very good.  Woke up to heavy storms.  The Sun id now coming out foe another hot day.  

• Like 9

The Icelandic saga continues…

The 14 of us hit the road early - 7:30 a.m.  We drove along the West coast bordered by magnificent mountains. We drove through endless farmlands whose fields were covered with white, pale green and pale yellow giant marshmallows!  Ok, they were really bales of hay, shrink wrapped so the hay would last through the long winter, but they looked like marshmallows. 

4872561A-86A7-4364-84FE-8055ADB31540.jpeg.a25be531c1b236c0c2a5368cadeb2f4b.jpeg

Our mini-bus had USB ports, adjustable vents and lights. But other than the driver, I was the only one with adequate leg room. Only the two shortest folk (both shorter than 5 feet) on the tour could sit across from me.  How tall is the average Icelander, or visitor we pondered?🤔

We stopped for a snack at a WaWa/7-11 kind of place - I believe it was named something like Nesti. But talk about an amazing variety of food offerings. The folk who opted for a hot dog said it was as good as the one they had in Reykjavik! I got some Skyr (yogurt) and an amazing chocolate covered wafer bar. 

Around 2:30 p.m. we pulled in to Arctic Adventures’ parking lot in Dalvik - a bit North of Akureyri on the same fjord. Across the street was a restaurant famous for their delicious fish soup. But they had lots of different things to tempt anyone not wanting fish.  I had a hard time turning away from the dessert displays, but I did. Their soup was every bit as good as we were told it would be. I had two helpings. 😎 The pic below comes from Trip Advisor, since I had not figured out how to juggle two crutches and my phone - yet. 

523AF809-3FF7-4C2D-9B66-FC45341BF0A4.jpeg.bb7aa954026098b7176254363cbca51e.jpeg

We gathered back at Arctic Adventures and were given “onesies” to wear for our whale watch adventure. These onesies were waterproof, thermal suits that we zipped ourselves into. Then we used Velcro straps to tighten the ankle and wrist edges. I needed help with mine. I have freakishly long arms which were really coming in handy, but even they could not do it by themselves.  We walked across the street and down to the dock to board our boat. Let’s just say mine was not the most graceful boarding, but with help from the Captain, his mate and François, I made it. 

It was a partly cloudy day, though at times we were sure it was going to rain. It got windy and cold, once we picked up speed. We were happy to have our gloves, scarves and hoodies. 
781BB6F8-990B-450A-9CC4-AB9E2D9E8B9B.jpeg.3568ba540e2d8634e7464c18b62d1d83.jpeg
D1B98CDA-0814-4B18-ABAB-B5048AD78378.jpeg.b233e00f90cd48b2cf24eebb604307c7.jpeg

We had a sea bird fly really close to us for quite some time. Clearly it knew it was being videoed.

We saw a couple of whales, though some of us suspected it was the same one playing with us.

1E8464AE-953C-4E04-9488-20F824AB7189.jpeg.1c8e164854de55ad3ad1b90c1320925e.jpegE6B4AF50-93C4-4F09-8ED7-D6B9F79ACFFC.jpeg.e521e1a9986f69bdca6988e69df40fc8.jpeg
9B0AB501-014F-4E44-9771-91227FAB15D9.jpeg6D6556E4-376D-4A7A-927F-006CB5DBC49C.jpeg.ecd2ed774bd1b6750762c8cf00662854.jpegAB4DB926-AC06-452A-A250-25A6C0FE3103.jpeg.a5c72a5f2079a702dd3c94abe150c4de.jpeg

Four hours after leaving the dock, we headed back. We were treated to hot chocolate and their version of Panama buns. Perhaps they call them Arctic buns?

Back on shore we left our onesies and Dalvik behind and headed to Akureyri.  François said our hotel could not manage dinner for our group that night, so he gave us a mini-tour of the town - pointing out dinner options as he drove. 

My group opted for the rooftop restaurant of a local hotel, because it was the closest to where we parked (I was tired), and it had pictures of different wine on a sidewalk sign. 😎 Clearly it was calling to us. It was too cold and windy to eat outside, but we had a great window view. 
9724C142-47C0-43F2-97DC-63531B1D2A3C.jpeg.ee819970f0baf03f2d1bbe7391c63c5c.jpeg

We opted for a lovely red blend wine from France. And my cheeseburger was just amazing. It was accompanied by the best sweet potato fries I have eaten. Seriously. I never made it to dessert. 

Back to our mini-bus by 9:30, and off to our hotel on the opposite side of the fjord. François went in, came out with our keys and we were off to our rooms. Another early morning awaited us, so I opted to shower before bed.  In a pinch, a waterproof jacket makes a great shower covering for a cast!

I discovered that I was one of the lucky folk who could sleep, even when there are only two hours of total darkness - and the curtains are not totally room darkening. 

Wait until tomorrow…..

Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 28
  • Thanks 1

😉In the past, I'd start with The Daily ( thank you to Rich @richwmn and to Roy @rafinmd for the Care and Celebration Lists!) but now reading Lisa's onboard experience on the Nieuw Amsterdam first, lol.😁 I'll be on a little adventure myself with the family and grandchildren and hopefully will be able to take some time to check in.

The Pinot Noir in Oregon was out of this world! 🍷We haven't been to Ghana so looking forward to photos and all who contribute.

😊 I'm reliving Iceland through @cat shepard's adventures.

California is facing another drought so we're reducing our water consumption by 15%.

🙏 Prayers to all in need.

Katie

1627477859282_0_1627477799959934312845248510648.png

16274794921764029992745584837419.jpg

• Like 22
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, kplady said:

@cat shepardThanks so much for sharing your Icelandic adventures. We'll be there next August, and I'm picking up some tips from your narrative.  So sorry you had an accident, but it doesn't seem to slow you down!!

Laura

I hope you enjoy your visit as much as I did mine.  It is an amazing Country with wonderful people. 

• Like 13

6 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

@cat shepardI'm loving the travelogue!  The bird looked like he had his eye on you.  And the whale video was excellent.  You kept right up with him as he dived back under the water.  Thanks so much for posting for us.

I am trying to do this amazing visit justice. I can not believe that Iceland was NOT on my bucket list. I can be an idiot at times. 

• Like 9
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, cat shepard said:

I am trying to do this amazing visit justice. I can not believe that Iceland was NOT on my bucket list. I can be an idiot at times. 

I don’t think you’ve ever be an idiot 😉 

You are doing a fantastic job and we’re all enjoying living your visit vicariously through you.  Thanks so much for taking the time to share ❤️ 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

For those of you that don’t follow the Future Cruise Listing, Helen (Hflors) posted yesterday to cancel her cruise due to the death of her husband on July 14th.  Our prayers for her and him 🙏🏻 

I am going to ask everyone for prayers for my BFF’s husband who is in intensive care in the hospital.  He fell and has broken 4 ribs and has a brain bleed 😢. They are not part of CC so don’t have to be on the Care list.  I am very worried about him and her.  Of course, I can’t visit or keep her company while she sits at his side because of dam covid.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 9

6 minutes ago, kazu said:

For those of you that don’t follow the Future Cruise Listing, Helen (Hflors) posted yesterday to cancel her cruise due to the death of her husband on July 14th.  Our prayers for her and him 🙏🏻 

I am going to ask everyone for prayers for my BFF’s husband who is in intensive care in the hospital.  He fell and has broken 4 ribs and has a brain bleed 😢. They are not part of CC so don’t have to be on the Care list.  I am very worried about him and her.  Of course, I can’t visit or keep her company while she sits at his side because of dam covid.

I'm so sad for you Jacqui. I will pray for BFF husband.

I'm sorry to hear Helen's husband passed. Prayers to her as well.

• Like 14

3 hours ago, Crazy For Cats said:

After I posted the phone rang.  The installer called out sick.  This has been rescheduled to mid August.

Sounds like my patio door installer. It was supposed to be early May... then two weeks ago.... and now, hopefully tomorrow. Maybe 3rd time will be the charm. To make it more annoying.... they call every now and then for their money. I tell them when they install a door I will pay. Seems fair to me.

We have had nice rains the past couple of days. Finally!!!!!

Susan

• Like 14

@cat shepard I'm enjoying your travel adventures.  We've all been places that were not on the bucket list that we fell in love with.

@kazu  Jacqui, so sorry about your BFF's husband. Will keep them in our thoughts.   Also, sorry to learn @Hflors Helen's DH passed away.

Edited by Quartzsite Cruiser
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Speaking of contractors who stall and delay work in the home, our neighborhood has been detouring since Aug. 25, 2020 for a bridge replacement.  This was a tiny concrete bridge with 2 lanes of traffic over Troublesome Creek.  And believe me, this bridge replacement has been very troublesome!!  It was supposed to be finished in late 2020.  We are almost through July 2021 and it is still under construction.  Every 6 weeks or so we get another delay announcement.  

Who knew such a tiny bridge could take so long and cause us some major detours to go north out of our neighborhood??🤷‍♀️

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, durangoscots said:

Sounds like my patio door installer. It was supposed to be early May... then two weeks ago.... and now, hopefully tomorrow. Maybe 3rd time will be the charm. To make it more annoying.... they call every now and then for their money. I tell them when they install a door I will pay. Seems fair to me.

We have had nice rains the past couple of days. Finally!!!!!

Susan

I’m taking the delay as a good thing.  We are flying on Friday to catch the NA.  If something went wrong with the install there wouldn’t be much time to correct.  Also it’s one less point of contact before getting on the ship.  

• Like 15