The vaccination olympics

5 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

Bhutan did so well because they had no problem getting vaccines - several countries donated supplies.

Yes the critics seem to forget that a large portion of our supplies were blocked by the European Union. It is far easier to blame our Government

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Russell21 said:

I'd like someone who knows what they are talking about to point me to the legal list of "rights" we have here in Australia. Not the yank ones some idiots think apply to us.

If it helps you, the ACCC had a help line about 4 months ago when I rang.   My question was adequately answered.

18 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

Bhutan did so well because they had no problem getting vaccines - several countries donated supplies.

That excuse was true at the beginning but we have lots of AZ, have had it for months now. It is the public who says no😳 and the government didn't back it. Our factory is suppose to pump out a million a week of the AZ. If we vaccinated at that rate we would be faster than Bhutan😂

Edited by ilikeanswers

4 minutes ago, ilikeanswers said:

That excuse was true at the beginning but we have lots of AZ, have had it for months now. It is the public who says no😳 and the government didn't back it. 

My comment related to Bhutan.

I agree that the problem recently with slow vaccination rates, is the hesitancy by some people to have AZ. When the PM (representing the government) tries to encourage people to have AZ, he is criticized for giving such advice when he isn't a doctor. It certainly doesn't help when some medicos speak out strongly against AZ. OK - someone might say that is their right, but this is what has caused the hesitancy.

People don't seem to consider that any medical procedure, medication or vaccination carries with it a small element of risk. What has to be done, is to balance that risk against the risk of not having the procedure, medication or vaccination.

1 hour ago, Aus Traveller said:

My comment related to Bhutan.

I agree that the problem recently with slow vaccination rates, is the hesitancy by some people to have AZ. When the PM (representing the government) tries to encourage people to have AZ, he is criticized for giving such advice when he isn't a doctor. It certainly doesn't help when some medicos speak out strongly against AZ. OK - someone might say that is their right, but this is what has caused the hesitancy.

People don't seem to consider that any medical procedure, medication or vaccination carries with it a small element of risk. What has to be done, is to balance that risk against the risk of not having the procedure, medication or vaccination.

That was my point though. Most of Bhutan's vaccines they acquired between June to July and they have been able to get them into arms so quickly while Australia has been making AZ since March. If we are producing a million a week of AZ we really should be further ahead. 

2 minutes ago, ilikeanswers said:

That was my point though. Most of Bhutan's vaccines they acquired between June to July and they have been able to get them into arms so quickly while Australia has been making AZ since March. If we are producing a million a week of AZ we really should be further ahead. 

For us to get ahead with vaccination rates, we need the vaccine hesitancy to stop. We were booked to have our second shot, but firstly I had an upper respiratory infection that caused us to postpone the appointment, then my husband got it. His turned to bronchitis that took a couple of weeks to clear. Through this, we kept phoning the medical clinic to postpone the second jab. Each time, they said we could have whatever time and whatever day we wanted. When we eventually went, we could see that they were set up to have five nurses administering jabs, but were only using two and they were not fully occupied with patients. Their problem wasn't shortage of vaccines, it is shortage of patients to give the vaccine to.

This was three weeks ago. Maybe they are busier now. I hope so anyway.

Well if this is the Olympic... and we are giving out prizes...

A bucket of Mud for Scotty    ( and we want the bucket back ).

Looking forward to our second shot...... one will feel happier....

but I do not see it getting us a get of jail free card.....

Don

Ps   it is not a race...... we are running for our lives 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ilikeanswers said:

Official population of Bhutan as of 2019 was 760,000, just a little less than Australia I think.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Russell21 said:

Official population of Bhutan as of 2019 was 760,000, just a little less than Australia I think.

You are missing the point, we churn out a million AZ a week and have been doing so for about five months. In the time frame it takes us to make a million doses Bhutan finishes its vaccination program. With the AZ we are producing we should be vaccinating what is not so far from the population of Bhutan every week. 

Edited by ilikeanswers
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, SinbadThePorter said:

Yet you'd think that Australia might have so much more medical resources than Bhutan.

Apparently not, going by the figures.

In Bhutan volunteers would trek for days up mountains to get everyone vaccinated meanwhile we are taking vaccines away from rural people because somehow despite making AZ in Australia there isn't enough for them and high school students in the city😳

Edited by ilikeanswers

1 hour ago, ilikeanswers said:

In Bhutan volunteers would trek for days up mountains to get everyone vaccinated meanwhile we are taking vaccines away from rural people because somehow despite making AZ in Australia there isn't enough for them and high school students in the city😳

The kids can't have AZ, only Pfizer, but many of the complainers in the rural areas could have AZ if they choose to.

11 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

The kids can't have AZ, only Pfizer, but many of the complainers in the rural areas could have AZ if they choose to.

I seem to recall Pfizer, taken from some Local Auths, which was scheduled for second vaccines, was to be given to final year students.  I would be more understanding if they were for people who need Pfizer in the locked down local Auths.

14 hours ago, ilikeanswers said:

You are missing the point, we churn out a million AZ a week and have been doing so for about five months. In the time frame it takes us to make a million doses Bhutan finishes its vaccination program. With the AZ we are producing we should be vaccinating what is not so far from the population of Bhutan every week. 

We don’t always produce a million doses a week. Sometimes substantially less (under 300,000 doses).

Initial stages was a ramping up process, so t took a while to have everything operating at peak efficiency.

More recently, a lot of the equipment and personnel were moved to the scheduled production of anti-venoms. This put numbers as low as about 250,000 doses.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Of the six new locally-acquired cases, investigations are continuing into three cases (including one reported yesterday). The remaining three cases are all linked to the current outbreaks and were in quarantine during their infectious period.

35 minutes ago, possum52 said:

Of the six new locally-acquired cases, investigations are continuing into three cases (including one reported yesterday). The remaining three cases are all linked to the current outbreaks and were in quarantine during their infectious period.

Oops, wrong thread!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

I seem to recall Pfizer, taken from some Local Auths, which was scheduled for second vaccines, was to be given to final year students.  I would be more understanding if they were for people who need Pfizer in the locked down local Auths.

Yes, and the whole idea was crazy, especially in hindsight as Gladys appears to be doing a u-turn on the year 12s going back to the classroom. All it did was to annoy people but, as I alluded to before, I wonder how many of those annoyed people are refusing the AZ vaccine.

Brad Hazzard said at today's briefing:

"Vaccinations, the great news today is our doses for the first dose on population of 16 and above have reached almost 50%"

NSW is on track to reach the 70% target by the end of the month. image.png.47c7a6fce63eaa67eeca53466145188f.png

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, By The Bay said:

Brad Hazzard said at today's briefing:

"Vaccinations, the great news today is our doses for the first dose on population of 16 and above have reached almost 50%"

NSW is on track to reach the 70% target by the end of the month.

Wonderful! It's amazing what a wave of COVID will achieve compared with pleading by politicians and medical experts.

26 minutes ago, getting older slowly said:

in relation to the figures    it seams it is not quite that good

50 %   well  43 &   on track 70%  is 44 % at the moment

as per

PowerPoint Presentation (health.gov.au)  dated 6 Aug

Capture.JPG.bc832413616e6cf11c5a39092512f782.JPG

Seeing an increasing number of children are now catching covid, I don’t think stats for 16+ are relevant any longer.  Our CHO said they are searching for masks small enough for correct fit for children.  

• Like 1